INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 + Nvidia problem [solved by updating Directx]  (Read 12850 times)

itencate

Windows 7 + Nvidia problem [solved by updating Directx]
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:32:24 pm »

Just wondering if you were testing against the Windows 7 beta yet.  I'm seeing some major instability in the combination, which may be related to Nvidia's beta video drivers for Windows 7.

I'm running the beta (v7000) plus the 181.71 Nvidia beta drivers.  What I'm seeing are repeated lock-ups, which seem largely related to high-CPU tasks - for instance, if doing multiple conversions to iPod format, the MC interface will become unresponsive and never return, even after the conversions are finished.

Similarly, if the CPU is busy with other apps (e.g. another conversion utility working away outside of MC), almost any activity which requires processing time or disk access will lead to a lock-up.

Let me know if you want / need additional information.

Ian

Dirhael

• World Citizen
Re: Windows 7 + Nvidia problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:46:20 am »

It has been rock solid for me in Win7 no matter what Nvidia GFX driver I've used (I'm currently using 182.08) and I've had it installed and used it in build 7000, 7048 & 7057.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »

I've been using MC13 with Windows 7 64-bit on two different platforms:

1) Macbook Pro (running Windows 7 in Bootcamp) with an AMD X1600 GPU
2) ASUS A8R32-MVP Motherboard (AMD Opteron 170 @ 2.6Ghz) with an AMD X1900XT GPU

Nothing with an Nvidia card though.  Been pretty solid for me.  I've had one GPU-related driver BSOD when using Theater View (was with the default Microsoft drivers on the ASUS board though, and nothing since I switched to the Catalyst drivers), but that's it.

BTW... AMD's newly released Catalyst v9.3 drivers fully support Windows 7 as part of the normal driver package: http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/03/18/ati-catalyst-93-everything-you-want-to-know/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

itencate

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:47 am »

Curious.  I'm running with an Intel processor (early quad-core), ASUS P5N32-E SLI board, and Nvidia 8600GTS.  Had MC13 on Vista x86 prior to trying Win7 and had no issues whatsoever.

I don't think that it's high-processor-related any more, though - it seems if I just leave MC13 running and come back after an hour or two even attempting to use the close gadget will down the app (and in at least one case reset the video drivers).

I'll try running under x86 again for a bit just to make sure I haven't developed a hardware problem.  For the record though, MC13 is the only app showing this behaviour under Win7.

Ian

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:21 am »

I'm also running MC on Win7 64bit (AMD) and an NVIDIA card. I haven't noticed any instability but I have noticed MC occasionally using a lot of CPU cycles, seemingly while just sitting there doing nothing. I only notice it because I hear my fan kick in faster and when I check the task manager to see what's chewing up CPU cycles it's almost always MC. But it doesn't crash and eventually it stops doing whatever it was doing.

The only other thing I've noticed is that MC really doesn't play well with the standard Windows window management calls. And this actually goes back to Vista, but it's worse in 7. I can't remember exactly what I ran into on Vista, but in 7, MC doesn't respond at all to Aero Snap. But neither does Office 2007. :P

nuke2000

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:35 pm »

Using 7077 x64  (possibly RC) and Nvidia 181.71 - Theatre view will not even start - dx dll related error.

But saying that 7MC keeps losing my video library - Is this the future?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »

Using 7077 x64  (possibly RC) and Nvidia 181.71 - Theatre view will not even start - dx dll related error.

But saying that 7MC keeps losing my video library - Is this the future?
Maybe you could explain?

nuke2000

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:24:45 am »

Maybe you could explain?

The error starting Theatre View is the following displayed on the black background:

Error starting direct 3d engine
(error loading D3DX9_39.dll visit www.microsoft.com/directx)

Escape brings me back to standard view which operates normally.

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 07:19:36 am »

3D isn't working and Theater View needs it.  The problem is with the hardware or driver.

Did you try updating DirectX?

In Theaterview settings try setting the frame rate lower and try unchecking "high quality drawing".

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:49:51 am »

Are you using a portable install?
For some reason when I first started using portable install D3DX9_39.dll was missing.
I downloaded a copy of it and placed it in the MC directory and this resolved my problem.

I think although I don't know for certain that something was changed to the installer to resolve this.

From what I remember of my short time of coding with  DirectX there are many different versions of D3DX9_xx.dll where xx is a version number.
Unless you've got exactly the same version of DirectX then it won't work, unless you have the same DLL in the app directory..
I think MC should be shipping this DLL with the installer, and may well be but I can't remember....
I suspect maybe Windows 7 has a later version of the DLL..

Matt probably knows better since he's coding with it all the time.

I've uploaded the 39 version of the file here:
http://uppit.com/v/ACL2V44M

Try just popping it (unzipped) into your MC directory.

nuke2000

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:09:04 am »

Thanks for the suggestions and the upload. Nope it isn't a portable install. I have since installed dx 9c which fixed the issue (sledgehammer and nut spring to mind). As i only installed 7077 yesterday i think i may reformat and try popping the dll you kindly uploaded in the MC directory. Will report back.

In regards to 7MC itself - As 7077 is either the RC or very close to it i am horrified (but not surprised) that the library can be so easily corrupted on a fresh install. Reminds me of why i need MC!

animaline

Re: Windows 7 + Nvidia problem [solved by updating Directx]
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 03:25:19 am »

Hi, I have the same problem, I installed Windows7 pro (offered by my school) and eventhough I installed directx 9.0c nothing changed, and I still have the "d3dx9_39.dll missing"
also, could you please tell me what is the MC directory thx in advance

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:00 am »

This was resolved by Personal Message.  Animaline copied the above attached DLL into
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14
this resolved the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 06:54:17 am »

Thanks, Chriz.

Jeovamah73

• Recent member
Windows 7 Nvidia problem solved by updating Directx
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:01 am »

Can you point me to them...

Also as it does not detect any channels.....in the guide section is just the terms and conditions..

i.e I cant go in there to manually assign them..

OR..

Am I totally missing something??
Pages: [1]   Go Up