INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing Duplicate Songs  (Read 6886 times)

gblasius

• Recent member
Removing Duplicate Songs
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:33:31 am »

Hello all - I have been using Media Center for a few years now, like it alot.  However, over the years, I've accumulated duplicate files across my universe of music, usually because I have about half my collection in two different lossless formats (long story, but about 50% of my collection is both ape and flac, am in the middle of converting all to flac, but you know how time goes! :-(). 

My question is this:  how can I remove duplicate songs (but maybe not file names) in my collection?  Its become a bit of a pain in the a££ to search for an album and to have two identical songs come up all the time.

Know the answer should be simple, but for the record: the JRiver help wiki isn't much help on this subject!

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
Re: Removing Duplicate Songs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:41:40 pm »

I wish someone would explain it to me also. I did a search, and it said "go to the playlist tree, right click, go to delete duplicate files and delete".......well,,,there is no duplicate files when I right click on the playlist tree!!  Need some help!!

Thanks

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:10:05 am »

There was the same question some time ago. For some reason its a bit more complicated to handle duplicates within MJ as it is in MC. They removed the ability to create smartlists the very easy way in MJ via import/export.

To create a new smartlist right click "Playlists" and select "Add Smartlist". A window pops up, where you can set the smartlist options.

Here I did some Screenshots to show you, how to set up some duplicate-searching smartlists. You only need the second red marked entries of each smartlist, the rest is optional, may be diffrent for you and doesn't effect the function of the lists.

• the first smartlist finds all your files with the same filename without looking at the filepath
  • the second one finds all files with the same artist and title tag
  • the third offers some kind of fingerprint search. This only works for audio files which have been analayzed within MC/MJ and for some reason it doesn't work perfect as I reported here.

buckeyewalt

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »

Thanks for the help and response......that did the trick!!!

Walt
Pages: [1]   Go Up