INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Quickie  (Read 2838 times)

foraye

• Recent member
Media Server Quickie
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:25:42 pm »

I've upgraded from MC12 to MC13 and have the latest versions on 2 PCs. I started the Media Server on one PC and pointed the client directly to the library on the server. All playlist and library contents show up on the client but will not play. I get the following message..."Media Player was unable to play any of the files...ensure that the path in Media Library" etc.

Now all this worked perfectly in MC12 until now. I understand the read only thing...will I have to Import all my tracks to the client?

Please help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server Quickie
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:37:56 pm »

I started the Media Server on one PC and pointed the client directly to the library on the browser.
More detail would help.

Did you start Library Server?

The wiki has a topic on Servers.

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:10:32 pm »

Yes the Media Server is running. I think part of what I'm doing wrong is specifying the library thats on my server instead of  waiting for the client and server to connect. I've deleted the Server library and have the client starting with its "Default" library.

By "Library Server" you mean "Media Server" right? From the TOOLS>ADVANCED TOOLS menu? It is and has been running in the system tray but the client will not connect. The IP addresses are 132.168.2.101 and 192.168.2.102, same network same subnet 255.255.255.0 and same router.

As I mentioned I had all this running in MC12 with no problems...I did read the wiki, but after 90 mins trying to listen to some music I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:09:35 am »

Please read the link on servers.  Media Server is a "shell".  Library Server must be started.

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »

Please read the link on servers.  Media Server is a "shell".  Library Server must be started.

First...Wiki and search was the first place I started YEASTERDAY...

Second..."shell"? Shell Integration is working...and I did mention that MEDIA SERVER was running and asked if By "Library Server" you mean "Media Server" right?

No disrespect, but I am not a windows programmer, I've made every effort to follow the wiki and advice in other threads...this is my last resort...there is at least 2 current threads with this exact issue...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »

JRiver Media Center includes several servers.

Library Server, formerly called Media Server, can serve a media collection on one PC, so it can be played with another copy of MC on another PC anywhere on the Internet.

Tivo Server can serve MC's library to a TiVo.

UPnP Server can serve MC's library to a UPnP device, sometimes called a Media Receiver.

Remote Server is a small web server built into MC, and allows MC to be controlled from a web browser running on another PC.

The first three servers are located in MC's tree, under Services and Plug-ins, and that is where they are configured.

Remote Server is configured in MC's Options under Startup.

Beginning with MC12, Media Server is a small program that runs in the background and can start up any of the first three servers when needed. It will appear in the lower right corner of the desktop and it will show up in the task manager as Media Center.

Retrieved from "http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers"

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:59:23 pm »

Thanks again,

I did note in my initial post that I had Media Server Started...Could my previous MC12 install be interferring with MC13?

I uninstalled MC12 but upon restarting the PC I get weird C++ error messages...I post the specific error later.

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:39 pm »

Here are the errors...

clicked OK...and

clicked OK...and

Then I uninstalled MC13, re-booted and got the following...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »

Are you trying to get MC13 to run?  Or MC12?

In either case, try uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the program.

Plug-ins and other third-party software could also cause problems if they try to access a program that doesn't exist.

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »

Hello Jim,

When I upgraded to MC13 I remember reading that I could leave MC12 installed and install and use MC13 with no problems...and that worked. When I started trying to run media server on MC13 while MC12 was installed and had issues I uninstalled MC12 which left the errors I posted...I then uninstalled MC13 and re-booted and got the last error...

I dont care about MC12 right now...I'm trying to get MC13 Media Server going between my workstation (XP) and HTPC (Vista32).

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:11 pm »

Is there any significance between the errors "failed to find local server" and "error loading library".

Thanks

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »

Failed to find local server IIRC means just that- MC can't find any library servers on the local network.
Error loading library- MC has found a library server, but for some reason can't load the library.

I'd try disabling any antivirus and firewalls at this point, as they're the most likely culprits.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »

You can also check the activity log on the library server to see if the client machine is accessing it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up