INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netbook Remote and Multiple Zones  (Read 5438 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Netbook Remote and Multiple Zones
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:08:02 am »

I like the idea of the Netbook as remote in another thread here. But as others are mentioning, it should be able to control different zones as well. One to one control would just be a half finished product imo. This would be the perfect opportunity to really do something about multi client support as well!

The ideal thing would be to:
- be able to control the HTPC/server from a client, with the output on the HTPC/server. Aka remote control
- use the server library on multiple clients with output to it's own zone. Aka Multi zone clients
- enable write from every client, and to lock down a client for read only. Either on a machine basis or preferrably with a username and password as well, to control each part: Music, Video and Images

MC is really lacking here today, and by improving this things, MC could become one of the best choises for one-to-one remote control and one-to-many multi zone nirvana. I would have to start looking for a new house to implement MC in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and living room. And every single visitor would be amazed!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Listener

• MC Beta Team
Re: Netbook Remote and Multiple Zones
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:16:01 am »

I split MrHaugen's post to a new thread called Netbook Remote and Multiple Zones.

Please use that thread for discussion of extending the remote to multiple zones, etc.

The first step is creation of a remote control.  Nothing more.  After that is working, we'll look at extending it.

Netbook Remote is a substitute for an ordinary remote, and intended for use from across the room.

There are many other use cases, like wall panels that can control the whole house.  That's not the purpose of this change.  Yet.

Jim, I understand you separating the two discussions.  However, the simple netremote needs to be able to specify the single zone for which the netremote controls playback.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:25 am »

Moved from the original thread on a Netbook Remote:

Listener said:
If you do this, please make it fit a multi-zone situation.  I like to have several copies of MC each controlling music playback in a different room.  

A very good reason for me to upgrade to V14.

datdude said:
My only question is would it be possible to play that remote pc's music in multiple other remote zones at the same time?  If you could, that would solve a lot of problems.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:01:46 pm »

... the simple netremote needs to be able to ...
FYI...
There is a program called netremote (from promixis.com), so we need to call this something else. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »

FYI...
There is a program called netremote (from promixis.com), so we need to call this something else. 

Remotebook?
'Motebook?

)p(

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »

Remotebook?
'Motebook?

Don't think a reference to a -book is a good idea...I think small tablet pc's when they get a bit cheaper will be a popular choice for this kind of setup.

peter

Chad

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:50 am »

Jim, I understand you separating the two discussions.  However, the simple netremote needs to be able to specify the single zone for which the netremote controls playback.

Yeah, if you have a multizone playback, you'd want to be able to say which zone you were controlling.  It's still one-to-one relationship, one 'tremote to one output system, you just need to be able to say "now I'm controlling zone 2". 

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:17:52 pm »

My preference/wish for this (even though I will probably stay with my whole house NetRemote system) would be to utilize the widescreen that's on all these netbooks. Have a line of small windows inside MC along the upper or lower edge with what's playing in the different zones instead of the long track position line. Then you could see what's happening in them all at the same time. And you could send tracks/movies/whatever to any or all zones. Normally it would go to the active zone, but a right click menu would be "Play in all connected zones". Just my 2 c. :)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:52:43 am »

It might be interesting to study some of the more sophisticated Pronto ccf files that have been built up over the years.  These can be found all over remotecentral.com as well as a soft-emulator to run the ccf files on.

rowens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »

client control of server...finally! a good beginning here, and justifies the upgrade for me.

ultimately, really need multizone control via the client side.  other bells/whistles as mentioned would be the icing on the cake.  an integrated iphone/Touch client (library, zone control, play/smart lists,etc) = nirvana.

thanks and keep up the good work...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:59 pm »

14.0.15 has support for zones when using Library Server.  It's at the top of this board.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:42 am »

That's good news. This works from the Tremote as well then, or is that something further down the road?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up