INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library server  (Read 4818 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
library server
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »

With the new feature of bidirectional communication, I thought I would give this a try to connect from work to my home computer.
NEW: Added write support to Library Server to allow bidirectional communication of any number of clients with a single server.  When connected to a Library Server, use the command File > Library > Sync Library... to write any changes made on the client back to the server, and also update the client from the server if necessary.  Expect automation in a future build.

Having never needed to use Library Server, I was a little confused to begin with. Like, what's the difference between Library Server in Services & Plug-ins and the Tools\Advanced Tools\Media Server items? I know that Library Server gives more options and the ability to start the server but didn't see the need for Media Server.

By following the wiki page that talked about Library Server, I was able to do a port forward of my one computer I was using. Then I VPN'ed into work (you didn't think I was going to be at work and then find out it didn't work, did you??) and tried to connect. The only way I could figure to connect to the IP address & port was to create a new library with that info. It did connect and then proceeded to download about 9MB of the library which wasn't really quick of course because of my upload speed from home. I then saw the library at home. Cool!

Then I made the mistake of trying to search for Library Servers again figuring it might know now. Nope. Back to the other and oh my, another 9MB of download. Is this really working the way it should?

I played a couple songs and it worked fine. Well actually over the VPN it stuttered but I'm hoping if I was at work it wouldn't do that. I added ratings to a couple songs and saved them. I then did Library Sync and it told me that the library at home changed and did I want to download it. Since I was done testing the connection I said no and disconnected.

I then went to my local library computer and checked those two songs. No ratings for those songs so I reloaded the library and still no ratings. Apparently the library sync either didn't work or I didn't do it right.

If I could get the sync to work, this will be very nice to use.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: library server
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 03:17:25 pm »

... what's the difference between Library Server in Services & Plug-ins and the Tools\Advanced Tools\Media Server items?
The wiki has a page on servers that trys to explain this.  

Pretty amazing that you got all that to work.  Right now you need to tell MC to sync back when you disconnect.  Matt explained that around here somewhere.  He intends to make it more automatic.

Search for Libary Servers just searches the local network.

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:58:14 pm »

Pretty amazing I got it to work? You don't expect your program to work?  ;)

I saw that servers page in the wiki. I just didn't catch the last item about Media Server.

I did the manual Library Sync after I knew I changed the tags but they didn't get updated on the home computer.

I'd love to try it again today but of course when I got to work, suddenly I couldn't connect to home again. Don't know what's wrong as I don't think the router assigned itself a new IP overnight. I'll have to check when I get home.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »

I'd love to try it again today but of course when I got to work, suddenly I couldn't connect to home again. Don't know what's wrong as I don't think the router assigned itself a new IP overnight. I'll have to check when I get home.
Yep, sure enough the IP address changed. This could be a pain having to check every morning to see what it is. I'm aware there are websites out there that can handle dynamic IP addresses so I guess I'll have to check into one of those unless somebody has a better idea.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:00:03 pm »

Yep, sure enough the IP address changed. This could be a pain having to check every morning to see what it is. I'm aware there are websites out there that can handle dynamic IP addresses so I guess I'll have to check into one of those unless somebody has a better idea.
This one works well: http://www.dyndns.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:03:33 am »

Well, it was a cool idea. After connecting and waiting over 10 minutes to download the library, I was able to start playing a song. It didn't stutter as expected but then it started buffering after about every 20 seconds. I know work has a very fast connection but I guess my elite service DSL at home can't handle it. I don't seem to have a problem with Slingbox though.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:36:49 am »

I REALLY would like to get this working if possible. I have the MC library server on a quad computer connected to the router via 1GB network. Last night I put some songs on the computer itself because normally they're on a NAS connected via the 1GB network hoping it might deliver them faster. I have AT&T DSL which is supposed to give me upstream of up to 768 Kbps. I'm connecting to home from work which has the fastest possible Internet connection available.

But the same thing happened where it takes about 10 minutes to download the @9GB library which I can live with for the first load of the day. But the playing of songs still acts the same way. It will play about 50 seconds and then start buffering. Once the buffering starts, it does that about every 10-15 seconds.

So it's pretty much unusable. Is it working this way for everyone? If not, what can I do to make it work?
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:40:41 am »

I'm pretty certain that this is not an MC problem.  I'm sorry.  It has to be the network.

There are some sites that can test speed.

You could set up a smaller library to speed up starting.

Library Server can convert to lower bitrate.  It's controlled from the client side.

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:35 pm »

Thanks for the tip on the lower bitrate. I just set that but wouldn't you know it, between this morning and now, my IP address must have changed because I can't connect anymore. I was hoping to ensure this worked before having to sign up for something like dyndns but I guess I'll have to do that in order to even try this. Unfortunately now I need to wait until Monday since I'm off Friday. Oh well.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:43 am »

Just an update if anybody cared. It turns out that upgrading my AT&T DSL to 6MB download doesn't jive with my D-Link DIR-825 router. Running the also new Motorola 2210 modem into a computer directly gives me 661 kbps upload speed. However running the modem through the router drops it to 120 kbps. That's what the problem is. After being on the phone for a long time with AT&T and D-Link, there is no confirmed solution yet. The next thing I'm supposed to try is to switch the modem to bridge mode and let the DIR-825 do the PPPoE. If that doesn't work, it's either dropping back to 3MB download speed again or buying a different DSL router that will work with the DIR-825.
Jeff

dcwebman

Re: library server remote
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:08 am »

Yay!! I finally got the combination of the modem and router working and I can now listen to my MP3's that are at home from work. Well, sort of. The ones I had imported on the local library server computer work fine but I get errors for all the rest that are on my NAS drive. The NAS goes idle after a period of time and when I'm at home, it might take a few seconds when I try to connect to it for anything to read the drives there. For some reason remotely it's not getting the access going again from MC. Now I have to figure that one out.  :(

EDIT: BTW, I'm still not getting tags synced back to the remote library. I updated ratings and another field. The manual sync said it happened but when I reload the remote library the changes aren't there.
Jeff

ruze

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 03:53:54 pm »

Hi, read/write remote library is the one feature that will make me upgrade today.

I have library server working on my LAN and no network issues, but I'm completely puzzled as to how to make changes on the client actually update on the server.   ?

I've searched for "library server" on the forums and wiki but have come across nothing useful.  The Library Server on the wiki page of course refers to the read-only client mode and hasn't been updated yet (which is understandable given that the feature is still only beta).

I would appreciate any simple instructions on how to make it work.  Library Sync does not seem like the method since it "copies files across the network to the local library" rather than simply syncing tags across client and server, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

ruze

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:39:44 pm »

When connected to Library Server, the command 'Library Sync' will synchronize the client and server.  This is how you accomplish read/write access from a client.

Future versions will make this more automatic.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marquis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:38 am »

Sorry for hitch-hiking this thread, but do you face the same problem, that the library sync is not working?

I'm tagging from my client-pc which is connected to the library server and then select the menu for synchronisation. this is successful (no error), but when restarting the client, no changes appear. Also when restarting the server after synchronisation and then restart the client it is the same result.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:36:33 am »

I have similar problem, Marquis. Library sync not worked for any changes.

Very low detail log file on server does not notice the problem immediately  :-\

UPDATE:

Not all fields not sync for me. For example, if I change "Custom Style" field (list data type), its sync ok..
Pages: [1]   Go Up