INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harmony Remote  (Read 4212 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Harmony Remote
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:40 pm »

[split from another thread]

If I already have a Harmony remote, does this surpass it an anyway? I'm considering getting this just so that I can program my Harmony to use its preconfigured MC commands, and use its IR receiver.

Incidentally, is anyone using a Harmony remote with MC and an iMon IR receiver?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Harmony Remote
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:02:06 am »

I've bought several Harmony remotes and never ended up using them, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.  I don't think they have the Green Button that the MCE remotes do.  It's an essential part of the experience in my opinion.  The MC Remote is obviously ready to go, with MC14, out of the box.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Harmony Remote
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:20:17 am »

It was a typo.  Fixed now.  Thanks.

I've bought several Harmony remotes and never ended up using them, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.  I don't think they have the Green Button that the MCE remotes do.  It's an essential part of the experience in my opinion.  The MC Remote is obviously ready to go, with MC14, out of the box.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I very often buy stuff and never get around to using it, and then end up giving it to someone or selling it for a lot less than I paid for it. The lack of a green button on some Harmony remotes can be bypassed; for example if I bought this remote, I could program a button on my Harmony to use as a green button. I've never used MCE so I don't even know what the green button does! In the interest of keeping just one remote, I might get this MC remote and then teach my Harmony everything. It'd be good to have something preconfigured for MC14. I could still use the transceiver with the Harmony and keep the actual remote as a spare... or put it near my wife's side of the couch! That way either of us can pause a movie when the baby cries etc.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Harmony Remote
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:13 pm »

If I already have a Harmony remote, does this surpass it an anyway? I'm considering getting this just so that I can program my Harmony to use its preconfigured MC commands, and use its IR receiver.

Incidentally, is anyone using a Harmony remote with MC and an iMon IR receiver?

The Harmony works fine with MC and MCE. Just add a MCE device to your Harmony config and you'll get all of the commands that the MCE remote has...

I've bought several Harmony remotes and never ended up using them, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.  I don't think they have the Green Button that the MCE remotes do.  It's an essential part of the experience in my opinion.  The MC Remote is obviously ready to go, with MC14, out of the box.

..including the Green button. It's just one of the "soft" buttons on the Harmony, instead of a dedicated hard button. If you already have a Harmony, all you need is the IR receiver. You don't need the entire MCE remote. The Harmony will already control MC, your TV and your AV receiver without having to have MC relay the commands for you.

raym

• MC Beta Team
Harmony Remote
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:20 pm »

..including the Green button. It's just one of the "soft" buttons on the Harmony, instead of a dedicated hard button. If you already have a Harmony, all you need is the IR receiver. You don't need the entire MCE remote. The Harmony will already control MC, your TV and your AV receiver ...

I can confirm that this works as this is how I do it also using the Harmony 525.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Harmony Remote
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:22 am »

The lack of a green button on some Harmony remotes can be bypassed; for example if I bought this remote, I could program a button on my Harmony to use as a green button. I've never used MCE so I don't even know what the green button does!
In MS or JR, the green button starts MC.  In MC, it also starts Theater View and toggles between three views of Theater View (root, current, and playing now).

It's incredibly useful for my wife.  "If you're lost, dear, just hit the green button once or twice."  This almost always works, and she now remembers it.

Is the button on the Harmony big and green?  On MCE remotes, it's usually large and centered.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:49 am »

If you already have a Harmony, all you need is the IR receiver.
We may sell transceivers and emitters separately.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:51 pm »

Thanks for the responses (And for spitting out this thread form the previous one, Jim).

My original question still stands though - anyone using a Harmony with MC and an iMON IR receiver?

If you do sell the emitters/receivers, I'd probably be into getting one, although the price for the whole combo is cheap enough to warrant getting it.

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:25:47 am »

I bought one and have no intention of using the remote.  I needed an receiver for my Harmony.  The price was resonable (considering I haven't seen anywhere to get a receiver without remote).  works great

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 08:25:02 pm »

In MS or JR, the green button starts MC.  In MC, it also starts Theater View and toggles between three views of Theater View (root, current, and playing now).

It's incredibly useful for my wife.  "If you're lost, dear, just hit the green button once or twice."  This almost always works, and she now remembers it.

Is the button on the Harmony big and green?  On MCE remotes, it's usually large and centered.

I am using a harmony remote with event ghost and am trying to emulate the green button functionality in theater view.  I made a key on the remote to execute 'win+alt+enter' and MCE will start up when i press it (unless the option to disable it is checked in mc) but nothing happens when I press it in theater view.

is this a bug in mc or is there a better way of emulating it?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:34 pm »

Win Alt Enter doesn't start MC on my machine.  I don't know what it should do.

Have you tried a Media Center remote of any kind?  The green button on them should work.

I realize that may not help much.  I'm just telling you what I know.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 09:07:40 pm »

cool, no worries.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:04:14 pm »

Is there a great deal of difference between the Harmony 895 and the Harmony One?

You can use the 895 with (some?) Z-wave devices. One is as far as I know just infrared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up