INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with noise after CPU loaded  (Read 2479 times)

CharlyD

• Recent member
Problem with noise after CPU loaded
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:34 pm »

If I do any action that causes a brief processor loading (e.g. loading a web page with lots of graphics/script), something frequently happens between Jukebox and the output channel that causes everything from moderate noise to complete shutdown of the channel.  Jukebox contines to play with no complaints.  The noise will persist until playback is paused or stopped.  On restarting playback, all is well.

I'm running Media Jukebox 12.0.49 on Win XP SP3 (MCE).  The hardware is an Athlon X2 PC with 3 GB RAM.  The sound device is an external E-MU 0404 USB.  I'm using ASIO output mode to the EMU ASIO driver.

Any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem with noise after CPU loaded
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:15:34 pm »

Maybe try updating your soundcard drivers and increasing the buffer size of the sound card (available in the control panel for the card).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CharlyD

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:45:50 pm »

Thanks for the quick response!  All drivers are current.  There is no configurable buffer on the 0404.  I've turned off hardware acceleration.  I've set the buffering in ASIO settings to 5s (max).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:07:40 am »

Would ASIO4ALL work?  See our wiki (link above) for info on ASIO.

I suppose you've seen this:
http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/readme_%20english.txt

In it, they say this in the known issues section:

"There is a known issue when using E-Wire with ASIO Buffer
Latency settings higher than 50 milliseconds. Use low latency
settings for best performance."

CharlyD

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:59:10 pm »

I think you guys pointed me in the right direction!  There is a control panel titled "ASIO E-MU 0404 | USB" that allows setting of the ASIO buffer size, but the UI for that tool is accessible only through the pro tools included with the 0404 (e.g. Wavelab).  The default setting for the buffer size is 10ms and increasing this value to 200ms has fixed the problem!  This setting is persistent and only needs to be set once.

The "E-MU USB Audio Application" is an installed application and displays a UI titled "E_MU 0404|USB [Control Panel]" but does not allow setting of the ASIO buffer.  To access the ASIO Control Panel from Wavelab, select Options/Preferences/Audio Card/Control Panel.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up