INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home on the Range -- Media in a Motor Home  (Read 2980 times)

jamesenjoy4now

• Recent member
Home on the Range -- Media in a Motor Home
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:40:09 am »

I would like to control 6 devices with the one MCE Remote and hardware package JRiver is offering.  They each have an existing IR remote.  Can this be one with MC 14 and the MC remote hardware package?  If not what would i need to do this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:50:27 am »

I would like to control 6 devices with the one MCE Remote and hardware package JRiver is offering.  They each have an existing IR remote.  Can this be one with MC 14 and the MC remote hardware package?  If not what would i need to do this?
I'm not sure.  The transceiver has two ports.  Each can support an emitter (or blaster) -- the cable with the IR bulb on the end.  

The emitters we sell are singles, but doubles are available (for around $10 each).  The doubles have two bulbs each, so one emitter could be stuck on and serve two consumer electronics devices.  That would get you four devices total connected to the one transceiver.

The other aspect to consider is that there might be a fair amount of fiddling to get the remote to learn enough codes to control the other boxes.

What are the devices?  Knowing that might help.

jamesenjoy4now

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:44:25 pm »

Thanks for your prompt response Jim.

The devices, in order of desirability to control with one remote, are:
 - Samsung 1080p TV - UN55B7000 WFXZA LED LCD
 - Samsung 1080p TV - P2370HD LCD TV
 - Samsung Blu-ray DVD player - BD-P1590
 - Dish Network 722 DVR
 - A yet to be obtained audio amp
 - Cambridge SoundWorks radio - 740
 - Cambridge SoundWorks radio - 765i

I see i actually 'will' have 7 devices.  I want to control them with the fewest remote controls.  Perhaps i will need some combination of remote control devices/ systems.  Samsung has no remote or provision for controlling multiple devices from one remote. Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:06:01 pm »

That's a lot of gear.  Why two TV's?  Side by side?  In the same room?

Our remote is geared toward controlling Media Center plus an amp and TV.  It might be good to start there, then add on later.

The other possbility would be to get a general purpose "Universal Remote" and teach it to control several of the other devices.  That way, you'd end up with two devices.

Here's an example of a universal remote.

Most newer CE devices use HDMI cables that can carry both audio and video.  They also can use HDMI to communicate.  For instance, when I turn my Sony TV on, it can turn on the Sony Amp.  This has to be enabled in the settings for the devices.

jamesenjoy4now

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:16 am »

A bit of background to illustrate my situation and goal.  I live in a 8.5' x 40' box called a motor home, usually in the U.S.  Music is essential during the day and usually a movie at night.  The 23" tv was purchased to display MC Theater View - so i can easily view and manage my music experience from the areas where i spend most of my time, ie. living and dining room and kitchen areas.  While the tv is not visible while driving i want to control my music experience as fully as possible while driving also.  The 55" tv is primary for viewing movies and images at night, as is the Blu-ray player.  The 55" tv can be seen only from a small area as it faces the sofa across the 8.5 dimension, whereas the 23' faces the length of the box. The Dish DVR and service is used for both music and movies.  The interior design of my box is not conducive to a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 sound system so i use the 2 radios as the primary sound amps and speakers.  Their portability, integral sub-woofer and good quality sound enable me to be immersed in music while i work at my computer, am in the kitchen or am almost anywhere in the  box.

Actually, as i write this i think that perhaps it would be better to think of my goal as that of managing and experiencing 2 systems, ie a music and a viewing experience - the music system while generally moving about or doing something else; the viewing system while stationary on the sofa.  The 23" tv is but for info and mgmt of music.  Perhaps then i can think of basically separate control systems for both - thus your remote for managing MC on my laptop, the 23" tv, Dish 722 DVR and the 2 radios.  Then another control system/remote for the 55" tv, Blu-ray player and Dish DVR and later an amp.

I am a bit confused as i don't know what the current capabilities of both wired and wireless content delivery systems among devices are; nor what is available and its capabilities/limitations to control/manage device controls.  I would vastly prefer wireless systems like WiFi for content and RF for control/remote - then components could be use outdoors too, in the vicinity of the box.  I realize this is stretching the scope of your product quite a bit, however, i have watched the evolution of MC expand its definition and capabilities - so maybe you have thought of solutions adaptable to my situation and goals.  It stretches my capabilities to use MC somewhat fully but it is learn-able with the forum and wiki support; however i am not a programmer so not adept at setting up systems that require much technical configuration/ troubleshooting.

If the double emitters can control 2 individual devices, with 4 devices and the laptop controlled from the one IR remote i will start that way.  I only need to control on/off, gain and mute for the 2 radios and 23" tv.  If i can control these functions for the 2 radios and the 23" tv as well as the Dish 722 DVR, and MC on my laptop with your IR remote - this will suffice for my music system.  Are extension cables available for the IR wires?  Thought I could tie them to the RCA sound cables I currently use.  I suspect that a wired system for both content delivery and device control is more capable, reliable and easier to set up than wireless ones.  Of course the IR remote is wireless that controls it all - within its line of sight limitation.  If your IR system will do this I will buy it.  Also, please tell me where to get 2 double emitters and extension IR cables.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Home on the Range -- Media in a Motor Home
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:34:42 am »

Interesting project.  Let us know what state you're in when you post, if you don't mind.

You're probably going to have to learn as you go on it.  The Media Center Remote is a good place to start.

Longer term, you might consider the "Netbook as a Remote aka Tremote" solution.

IR has a range of up to about 30 feet, depending on conditions.

jamesenjoy4now

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:45:41 pm »

I accept that this will be a research and learning process.  I would like to buy the MC remote with 2 double emitters @ $10 extra each = $60 total w/shipping.  i would also like to know if extension cabling is available for the IR emitters.

I don't have fax capability so would like do purchase this via phone or email.  I can't find a way to email your company on the j.river web site.

By the way, I am in Canyonville, Or now and will be touring around Oregon then South along the left coast for Calif. at the end of the month.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:09 pm »

Hello, Oregon.  Be sure to stop in Mendocino on the way down the coast.  There is also a pretty good beach with a lot of driftwood at Jenner where the Russian River empties into the Pacific.  Pt. Reyes National Seashore, just north of San Francisco, is worth a day.

U.S. purchases of the Media Center Remote are now possible with a credit card or by Paypal.  Please see the bottom of this page:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote.

I would start with one emitter and make sure you're satisfied before going the next step.

Pages: [1]   Go Up