INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seamless integration with My Movies - Excellent!  (Read 23025 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Seamless integration with My Movies - Excellent!
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:59:46 am »

Just tried the new feature to read MyMovies.xml files and it works a treat! Many thanks. No more exporting and importing of playlists.

And I've learnt a bit more about My Movies as well..............

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Seamless integration with My Movies - Excellent!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:45:05 pm »

No more exporting and importing of playlists.

Except you have click to that "Save Title" button in My Movies for every title in your collection.  Sometimes I wonder which way is more efficient - clicking "Save Title" for every movie, or just export the entire collection and do an "Import Playlist" in MC.  We provided support for both, so it is your choice. ;)
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:27:49 pm »

I was under the impression that My Movies creates a MyMovies.xml file when a title is added, would seem strange to have to save title as well. I imported the bulk of the collection via the playlist option, the new bit just saves me from having to export/import every time I add a few titles. Big improvement either way.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:17:59 pm »

11. NEW: MC will import MyMovies data in the file [mediafilename].mymovies.xml or mymovies.xml residing in the same folder as video file, if the standard JRSidecar file does not exist, provided the data contained in the xml file pertain to the media file.

What exactly is MyMovies data? I'm still trying to find a method to get all of the movies in my library linked to their respective imdb entries and all the tag info that goes along with it. I've been unsuccessful thus far in using some of the plugins designed for this and was just curious what this will do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:37 pm »

It's a service that provides metadata for movies:
http://www.mymovies.dk/

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:07:14 pm »

I was under the impression that My Movies creates a MyMovies.xml file when a title is added, would seem strange to have to save title as well. I imported the bulk of the collection via the playlist option, the new bit just saves me from having to export/import every time I add a few titles. Big improvement either way.

Maybe you are right.  Did not really look into it in detail.  Perhaps you need to click Save Title manual after you make changes?  Otherwise the button would be useless.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:16 pm »

Yep this is a brilliant new feature!!!!

In the latest version of my movies, the XML is generated automatically. Either way, after adding a new title into the program, hitting "save title" to generate the file is no big deal. The way mc handles this now is excellent.  No mess no fuss.

Two minor things I've encountered however: 1. An empty mymovies playlist seems to make it's way into my imported playlists folder despite continously deleting it and 2. Sometimes the date field is empty after importing a new title. Yaobing, I posted about this elsewhere. 
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »

In the latest version of my movies, the XML is generated automatically. Either way, after adding a new title into the program, hitting "save title" to generate the file is no big deal. The way mc handles this now is excellent.  No mess no fuss.

Not sure that it's generated automatically "out of the box", there is a parameter in the My Movies Collection Management program (the not MS Media Center bit) under Configure > Options > Meta Data Storage to store media info in MyMovies.XML files. Switch it on and thereafter they are created automatically. There is also a setting to create the XML files for all existing database entries.

Echoing what others have said, My Movies is primarily intended as a plugin for MCE 2005 and VMC, but can be used without the MC interface. It has it's own movie database, but also uses data from IMDB. Users are encouraged to add any missing data. New titles are usualy available on the day of release (especially US) and it's pretty comprehensive.

Personally I've got a dedicated HTPC just for movies (inc blu-ray), so I use VMC, but my other media center and other PCs use MC, so it's excellent to have only one place to load movie data. Brilliant

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:02:18 pm »

If someone could write up a short set of instructions on how to get this going with MC, I'll post it on the wiki.

Thanks.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:13:14 am »

If someone could write up a short set of instructions on how to get this going with MC, I'll post it on the wiki.

I don't use My Movies with Windows Media Center and I'm certainly not an expert in this application. I purely use the included stand-alone tool called "Collection Management" to retrieve meta data from the Internet for my DVD collection. Thanks to recent developments in MC, this data is now automatically used to populate fields when I import new videos.

So, here's how I use My Movies - Collection Management v2.55. The process assumes you have an existing My Movies database. Also, each movie file (mkv, avi, DVD rip etc) must reside in it's own folder.   

1. Open Collection Management
2. Click the "Add Titles" button on the toolbar or choose this option from the "Title" menu
3. In the Add Titles dialog, enter the movie name or DVD bar code and hit the "Search" button
4. In the search results list, select your movie title and hit the "Add Online" button
5. Browse to the folder where your movie resides and hit "Ok" to add your title to the queue of titles on the right
6. When you're done adding titles, click the "Add to..." button
7. My Movies will start downloading meta data for each movie you've added to the queue

At the end of this process, your movie titles will have been added to the My Movies database. This process should have also automatically generated a hidden mymovies.xml file containing all the relevant movie meta data. These xml files reside in the same folder(s) you chose in step 5 above for each title.  Now, here's where the fun starts..... Whenever you import a video with MC that has an accompanying mymovies.xml file, MC will automatically populate all the relevant fields including actors, credits, description etc. If the file was imported previously, you can use the "Update Library (from tags)" feature to re-read the xml at any time. Once you make a change to the tags inside MC and you have video sidecar support enabled, MC will generate a "<video filename>_ext_JRSideCar.xml" file in MPL format. This will be used by MC, rather than the original mymovies.xml file, for ongoing updates to tags.

At this point, I normally just delete the titles from My Movies as the job's complete and I have no intention of maintaining 2 separate video databases. As I said, I really only follow this process for collecting the meta data which is normally just a one time activity.

There is also a setting to create the XML files for all existing database entries.

That's right. If the xml files are not automatically created as I've described above for whatever reason, you can generate them for all My Movies titles by going to the "Configure" menu and choosing "Options -> Meta Data Storage -> Update". Alternatively, you can update individual titles by choosing the "Save Title" button at the bottom of the main screen after selecting a movie from the list on the left.

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:05:02 am »

Thanks, raym!

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 06:39:14 am »

I've posted this before but it's worth adding again if this might become an overview of how My Movies and MC can work together. My Movies has different, and sometimes quite flexible ways of identifying how and where a movie is stored. MC is more precise, and if you get the 2 misaligned, metadata that you think you have set up in My Movies may not be visible to MC. This was certainly the case when using the old import/export method, and may be the same with the MyMovies.xml approach.

In My Movies, you can set the Disk location to be an Online folder. This works fine in My Movies if the folder contains an avi, a DVD rip of vobs and ifos, or a VIDEO_TS subfolder containing a rip. I had all sorts of problems until I worked out that MC cannot handle that degree of flexibility. The rules I now follow are:

Always rip to a VIDEO_TS subdirectory, within a folder for the disk, i.e. \The Matrix Disk 1\VIDEO_TS  
For rips, tell MyMovies that the rip is in the VIDEO_TS subfolder, not the title folder.
For avi and other media files, tell My Movies that the title is stored as an Onfile file (i.e. not a folder) and point to the exact file.

Reading it back, it sounds obvious, but it's easy to get it wrong with the more flexible approach of MyMovies. I was compressing rips to avi's, and not telling MyMovies about the change. Because the avi was in the same folder as the rip had been, MyMovies didn't care, and would still play the file quite happily.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:35 pm »

All of these posts taken together have the complete set of information to make this work. Many thanks to all! I hadn't quite figured it out. For my own notes, I cut and pasted several of these comments into order. I'll paste it here, just in case it helps someone new make sense of it all.

========================

There is a parameter in the My Movies Collection Management program under Configure > Options > Meta Data Storage to store media info in MyMovies.XML files. Switch it on and thereafter they are created automatically.

There is also a setting to create the XML files for all existing database entries. If the xml files are not automatically created for whatever reason, you can generate them for all My Movies titles by going to the "Configure" menu and choosing "Options -> Meta Data Storage -> Update". Alternatively, you can update individual titles by choosing the "Save Title" button at the bottom of the main screen after selecting a movie from the list on the left.

For DVDs, always rip to a VIDEO_TS subdirectory, within a folder for the disk, i.e. \The Matrix Disk 1\VIDEO_TS  

In My Movies:

1. Open Collection Management
2. Click the "Add Titles" button on the toolbar or choose this option from the "Title" menu
3. In the Add Titles dialog, enter the movie name or DVD bar code and hit the "Search" button
4. In the search results list, select your movie title and hit the "Add Online" button
5. Browse to the folder where your movie resides and hit "Ok" to add your title to the queue of titles on the right.

--  IMPORTANT: For DVD rips, tell MyMovies that the rip is in the VIDEO_TS subfolder, not the title folder.

--  For avi and other media files, tell My Movies that the title is stored as an Online file (i.e. not a folder) and point to the exact file.

6. When you're done adding titles, click the "Add to..." button
7. My Movies will start downloading meta data for each movie you've added to the queue

At the end of this process, your movie titles will have been added to the My Movies database. This process should have also automatically generated a hidden mymovies.xml file containing all the relevant movie meta data. These xml files reside in the same folder(s) you chose in step 5 above for each title. 

Whenever you import a video with MC that has an accompanying mymovies.xml file, MC will automatically populate all the relevant fields including actors, credits, description etc. If the file was imported previously, you can use the "Update Library (from tags)" feature to re-read the xml at any time.

Once you make a change to the tags inside MC and you have video sidecar support enabled, MC will generate a "<video filename>_ext_JRSideCar.xml" file in MPL format. This will be used by MC, rather than the original mymovies.xml file, for ongoing updates to tags.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:50 pm »

Thanks, everyone.  I've added this to the wiki here.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 12:19:34 pm »

Does this work for ISO rips? I notice that you mention VIDEO_TS folders and media files, but nothing about how to do this for ISOs.

So far I can create the mymovies.xml file in the movie folder next to the ISO, but I can't get MC to recognize the data when I do an import or update from tags.  Is it because MC when doing this automatically assign ISOs as Data, so it doesn't import the tags because it doesn't think it is a video file?

Thanks
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 02:05:10 pm »

I import the My Movies XML file as a Playlist into MC and that works with ISO files.

TLS

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »

ok, i'll give it a try!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 07:54:03 am »

Thanks, everyone.  I've added this to the wiki here.

Could this also work with DVD Profiler?  http://www.invelos.com/

Regards,

David

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 07:57:38 am »

Also, each movie file (mkv, avi, DVD rip etc) must reside in it's own folder.   

Hmm...
I have all my discs ripped to iso or mkv in one single folder...can I not use MyMovies then..?
Would take a long time to make folders for each of them...

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 08:47:13 am »

It looks like My Movies is saving the information in a file named mymovies.xml, in which case they would overwrite each other. It is probably the same issue with coverart. So you need to store each file in its own folder. You can use MC to move your files to new locations.

TLS

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 10:44:23 am »

You can use MC to move your files to new locations.

Can I..?
And MC will put the iso and mkv in its own folders..??

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 10:51:15 am »

Yes, but you need to import you files into MC first. Under Library Tools is a function called "Rename, Move, & Copy Files". Use this to move you files to a base path with a rule you define yourself, e.g. a folder name equal to the movie name or what ever you like.

TLS

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:26 am »

Simply fantastic.. :)

Now I will upgrade from MC11.

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 12:08:49 pm »

It looks like My Movies is saving the information in a file named mymovies.xml, in which case they would overwrite each other. It is probably the same issue with coverart. So you need to store each file in its own folder. You can use MC to move your files to new locations.

TLS

Maybe this depends on the version of MyMovies, but I do not need to have my videos in their own folders (except for the DVDs which are naturally in their own VIDEO_TS folders).  MyMovies actually creates files named as [media filename].mymovies.xml.  It is important that in MyMovies you make sure your mkv, avi, mpg, or whatever, files are classified as "Online File" type, and make your DVD in VIDEO_TS "Online Folder" type.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »

Yaobing, I think you are right. When I look in folders generated with the latest versions of My Movies the file format is exactly as you descibe. In that case it is possible to store more than one movie file in the same folder.

TLS

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 01:45:38 pm »

Bizarre

Just checked my own library, and there seems to be different behaviour for AVis and VIDEO_TS folders.

For avi's there is a <filename>.mymovies.xml file AND a mymovies.xml file, in the <filename> directory
For rips, there is just a mymovies.xml file in the <filename>\VIDEO_TS sub directory

Wierd

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »

Yes, inside VIDEO_TS folder the file is mymovies.xml because there should be only one movie in the folder.  For other videos, I see <filename>.mymovies.xml for each movie, but I am not sure there is a mymovies.xml as well.  Did you check the date of that file?  Could it be a file generated by earlier version of MyMovies?

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »

Sorry if my questions are stupid, but I've never used MyMovies before..

How do you import a folder into MyMovies..? I have all my movies ripped into three folders, HD, SD and Music DVD's.
When I use File-Import-Folder Content and point it to my HD-folder with all MKV's, it won't find any movies..?!?

(I know this should probably been asked in MyMovies forum, but I'm sure someone here can help me quickly..:))

Thanks..!

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 04:58:42 pm »

Raym offers a nice description earlier in this thread. Is that what you are looking for?

TLS

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38:35 pm »

No, since he states that the movies have to be in separate folders. I have only one folder filled with HD MKV's.

Yaobing then says that movies don't have to be in separate folders, but how do you import them into MyMovies then..?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 06:55:23 pm »

No, since he states that the movies have to be in separate folders. I have only one folder filled with HD MKV's.

Yaobing then says that movies don't have to be in separate folders, but how do you import them into MyMovies then..?

Ok, I've done a quick test and Yaobing's earlier statement is absolutely correct. With the exception of DVD (VIDEO_TS) rips, you can have all your movies under a single folder as long as the "Location Type" field for each movie is set to: "Online (File)". To check this, select a movie and click the "Disc(s):" button in the main view. From here, you can select the actual avi, mkv etc filename. Click "Save Title" and take a look at the folder. You'll find several new cover-art and xml files prefixed by filename, the key one being <filename>.mymovies.xml. When adding titles to My Movies, if you originally added your movie as "Online" (in the search dialog) then the program creates a single mymovies.xml file only as it assumes this will be the only one in this folder. It's not until you change it's "type" as above that you'll see the new files. If you're going to use a single folder for all your movies, then it's probably better to choose the "Add Offline" button when first adding titles and then changing the "Location Type" once added.

Personally, I think it will avoid a lot of confusion for you (and make the process easier to maintain long-term) if you can go with seperate folders for each movie.

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 01:41:36 am »

Did you check the date of that file?  Could it be a file generated by earlier version of MyMovies?

Spot on. AVI  mymovies.xml files were several months old. Used the My Movies options to clean XMl and rebuild XML and AVI folders then only had the <filename>.mymovies.xml version.

This approach is also useful for clenaing out other XML files (dvdid.xml?) for compatibility with VMC DVD Library that My Movies produces by default, although there is an option to stop any more being produced.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 09:50:59 pm »

If I use a mymovies.xml file with a WMV video, MC won't read the tags on import or otherwise. Is there a known reason for this?
Z-Wave Home Automation

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »

I tested out a WHS addin version of mymovies to see how it would play with MC, but it seems like MC was auto importing my new movies faster than the mymovies addin was creating the xml files, so I ended up with no metadata for any of the files in MC.

It would be good if there were a library tool inside MC called something like "Apply myMovies metadata..." which would make MC look to see if there were an xml file next to the video file on the hard drive. This would also let those of us (me) who have carefully tagged a huge swathes of movies in MC to "dip our toes" into using myMovies and try it out a few movies at a time.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 12:47:09 am »

It would be good if there were a library tool inside MC called something like "Apply myMovies metadata..." which would make MC look to see if there were an xml file next to the video file on the hard drive.

It's called: "Update Library (from tags)"   ;)
Z-Wave Home Automation

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 11:31:08 am »

:)

As I understand it, MC will always look at it's own metadata files, ignoring any mymovies xml files. I would have to physically find MCs' metadata files and delete them for each movie that I want to work on, which would mean going in to explorer and doing the hard work. It would be better if I could work on the videos in my library directly.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 06:55:32 am »

:)

As I understand it, MC will always look at it's own metadata files, ignoring any mymovies xml files. I would have to physically find MCs' metadata files and delete them for each movie that I want to work on, which would mean going in to explorer and doing the hard work. It would be better if I could work on the videos in my library directly.

Oh right. Well, assuming you're starting with a clean slate ie, no MC metadata files, you could disable video sidecar support and then "update library from tags". This way you can guarantee MC won't read any of it's own sidecar files. When you're done, re-enable sidecar support as needed. I guess this could get a bit tedious as you'd be constantly enabling/disabling the option. But it might work for you?
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »

If I use a mymovies.xml file with a WMV video, MC won't read the tags on import or otherwise. Is there a known reason for this?

Windows Media files can be tagged directly.  Therefore we do not apply sidecar files to them.  You have to use playlist import to get around this problem.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 10:36:30 pm »

Windows Media files can be tagged directly.  Therefore we do not apply sidecar files to them.  You have to use playlist import to get around this problem.

Oh I see. This makes sense but I assumed MC would still read the mymovies.xml file on import (if there was one) regardless of video type.

Not a problem though.

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

AVI

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:25 am »

Hi, Speaking as a Newbie to JR MC, first of all I think its excellent.

I have a system building business and happen to be a licensee for Mymovies, so any questions on this let me know. I got all excited to see there was a way of using the Collection Manager for MC14. Unfortunatley the reality does not seem so good and I cannot find any info in the Wiki or on this thread which helps me.

My problem is that having ripped titles using CM, the importing into MC has the following problems;

1) When imported into 'Videos' the title appears with unrelated cover art. (The folder jpg is seen as an image elsewhere but its not linked to the movie). Updating the tag does nothing.
2) In Theatre View, you can only see the movie in Videos. How can you make use of the 'Movies' heading and put the title in there?

On a separate and not really related note. Does anyone know why a Vista machine would refuse to playback a movie (problem only applies to Video TS) from a directly conected external drive (i.e USB drive) but will play back from the same drive if the file path is changed to a network location. This happens in MC14, WMP and VMC so it seems to be OS related. Its very odd and does not effect other files only Video TS.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:54 am »

This applies to just movies, not TV seasons/series/episodes, correct?

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 08:16:48 am »

I have/had a similar problem as AVI, couple of posts earlier.  MC14 doesn't load metadata from mymovies.xml.  It finds the coverart, but doesn't recognize it as a "movie".  I imported the xml playlist but because this has fixed paths etc, things are  quite messy.  Also, I now have some duplicates as it doesn't recognize some files are the same (e.g. from computer with Mymovies the files were on G drive and on MC computer it puts USB drive as E, etc).

It would be much nicer if I could use MC to monitor the folders and it just get meta data from mymovies.xml if it exists.  This is implied in lots of the posts above, but doesn't seem to be working any longer.  Could it be a Vista thing?  Is it a known bug?

Thanks
Craig

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

It would be much nicer if I could use MC to monitor the folders and it just get meta data from mymovies.xml if it exists. 

It works. You can run into some issues with it though if:
(a) MC video sidecar support is disabled - check the options.
(b) A JRiver video sidecar file already exists for the video you're trying to import. Go to the folder where the video resides and delete the "JRSideCar" file if it exists.
(c) You have previously imported the video into MC. This is somewhat frustrating and probably what's causing your issue. To fix it, go to your video view and delete the file. Then, type "d=~a" in the search box and hit Enter. This will show all videos previously imported and deleted - including the one your just removed. Delete them all! It seems that once you've imported a file, MC retains a link to it even after you have deleted it. Retry the import.

Hope this helps.
Z-Wave Home Automation

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:49 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  I did have Jsidecar files enabled, I didn't have any sidecar files.  I did try deleting all movies from the library, but nothing showed up when I used the search term suggested (was there a typo??).  Does that mean anything significant?

I then tried upgrading to latest MC14 v84

I tried File->Library->Clear Library and tried again.  Same problem.  Avi and other files come in and are in Video->Files but are not recognized as Movies even though mymovies.xml is provided in each subdirectory.

Maybe I should uninstall and try again?

Thanks once again for the feedback.

Craig

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 06:49:00 am »

(c) You have previously imported the video into MC. This is somewhat frustrating and probably what's causing your issue. To fix it, go to your video view and delete the file. Then, type "d=~a" in the search box and hit Enter. This will show all videos previously imported and deleted - including the one your just removed. Delete them all! It seems that once you've imported a file, MC retains a link to it even after you have deleted it. Retry the import.
Import has an option for this.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:46 am »

I tried File->Library->Clear Library and tried again.  Same problem.  Avi and other files come in and are in Video->Files but are not recognized as Movies even though mymovies.xml is provided in each subdirectory.

Can you elaborate a little?  What do you mean by MC not recognizing movies?  In MC movies are video.
I think I understand what you mean now.  On my computers there is not an "Movie" view (perhaps because MC uses my old views).

Are you talking about DVDs?  Are they in VIDEO_TS folders?  Are mymovies.xml files in VIDEO_TS folders?

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 08:19:30 am »

i had ensured that i had the option to import previously deleted files on at the time.  it did bring in the previously deleted files but not the mymovies tags.  

i did a bit more playing on the mymovies.xml.  still no good conclusion (only solution is the painstaking mymovies3 task of identifying each entry as an online file and pointing to file, whereas monitoring has automatically created a mymovies file for each directory) upon file->import playlist i can get moviename.mymovies.xml data to be read (but movies left in VIDEO_TS don't work still and update library from tags doesn't either).  see additional comments in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54436.msg370777#msg370777

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 08:26:52 am »

Video files such as avi and divx, the MyMovies file for each video must be named [video filename].mymovies.xml.  For DVDs in VIDEO_TS folder, the xml file must be inside VIDEO_TS folder and be named mymovies.xml.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 08:38:35 am »

yaobing, i reread the mymovies.xml wiki page at MC and I didn't have the mymovies.xml in the video_ts folder, as you guessed.  i do now and upon import playlists all is resolved. the wiki also states that the avi etc files need to be identified as online files, which I also hadn't done.  so basically my bad.

however, if you use folder monitoring in MM3, it will automatically create a mymovies.xml file in each directory and no data entry is required if directory name is ok.  it would be much more convenient if MC would replicate this in its import of the mymovies.xml data.  ie. if mymovies.xml exists, it gets applied to each video file in the directory unless a moviename.mymovies.xml file exists that would superseed it for those cases where a few avi files reside in a directory and if a video_TS subdirectory exists then mymovies.xml is asumed to apply there unless one exists within video_TS.  If it did something like this, it is a one step automatic monitoring in MM3 (with limited data entry) and then folder monitoring in MC can get tags.  current method is a lot of manual manipulation in MM3, or am I missing something?

Craig

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:03 am »

or am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything.  Yes, there is some room to improve.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up