INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting to Know Theater View -- An Introduction  (Read 13946 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Getting to Know Theater View -- An Introduction
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »

This tutorial is meant for those who've not used Theater View much or decided it isn't needed for listening to music.

What it is
Theater View is a simplified interface with large labels.  It works well when watching from a distance, even sitting back in your desk chair.  It's not a view you would usually use for tagging or building playlists, though even these are possible.  In the business, it's known as a "ten foot mode", as opposed to the "two foot mode" you ordinarily use with a computer.

Getting There
There are several ways to pop up Theater View.  The function key, F11, is quickest, but you can also use CTRL-4 or the View menu.  You can also tell MC to start in Theater View -- Options/Startup/Mode.

Getting Back
Hitting the escape key (Esc) twice will exit from Theater View and return you to Standard View.  CTRL-1 also returns to Standard View.  With a remote, you can scroll to the end of the Home menu and choose Exit.

Skins
Although there are several skins, please try Obsidian first.  Settings are in Tools/Options/Theater View.  Obsidian uses "rollers" at the top to allow you to choose options.  In the recent versions of MC14, most skins have been converted to rollers, and there is a Obsidian Touchscreen for use primarily with touchscreens.  Touchscreen users can "flick" the menu.

Using Theatre View
Though it can be used with a keyboard or with a mouse, the most comfortable way to navigate in Theater View is with a remote control like JRiver's Media Center Remote.  Theater View can be used with just 5 keys -- the four arrow keys and enter.

On a keyboard, try using only the arrow keys and enter.  This simulates what it feels like with a remote, and you'll see how quick it is to move around.  In long lists, you can use page up and page down to jump through the list.  A left arrow will return you to the top.

If you use a remote, the four arrow keys usually contain the OK button (which functions as enter).  Channel Up and Channel Down buttons will scroll through long lists.  Other buttons on any Media Center remote should also provide other shortcuts, but these keys are enough.

Getting Back to the Top
No matter where you are in a long list, pressing the left arrow several times will take you first to the rollers at the top, and then to the Home View, where you normally see:

Audio      Images      Video    Television     DVD   ....

Screenshots

Why use it?
Your spouse or partner will think you're brilliant.  It makes MC easy to use for those who don't spend a lot of time with MC.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Getting to Know Theater View -- An Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:03:46 am »

Thanks... and excellent screenshots. The only one that was disappointing was the Showroom one, because the thumbnails are all square and not in the AR of the cover Art.

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:04:07 pm »

I notice in "Film View" (the 2nd screenshot in that link) there is a description of the film.  How does one do this?  Is there already a library field for this, and is there a way to download the description, actors etc... for films?

Thanks in advance from a theater view newbie!

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:03 pm »

Bill - there was recently a discussion about using another program, My Movies, to get movie information and then import it into MC. http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MyMovies It's not the only way - someone else can give you a better overview of your options.

I've got a related question about "Film View" - the next step. I've got a fully populated VIDEO_TS_ifo_JRSIDECAR.XML in the VIDEO.TS folder for each DVD after importing information from My Movies. In Theater View, my movies resolutely display: genre, duration, dimensions, file type (".ifo" for DVDs), and file size (16kb for DVDs). I've reset all views in Theater View options and I still don't get those cool screens with actors and description and the like. Is there a secret checkbox?

Bruce Berls
http://www.brucebnews.com

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:22 pm »

It's not the only way - someone else can give you a better overview of your options.

The better way is PvdImport. ;)

Is there a secret checkbox?

Customize file info panel... at Options - Theater View.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:47 am »

PVDImport works great!

The problem was in my tags, not in MC. It's configured by default to show all the information in Theater View, if the tags are correct. My previous work with My Movies hadn't gone as smoothly as I thought. I started over with PVDImport and Theater View looks grand!

Bruce Berls
http://www.brucebnews.com

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:59 am »

It's PvdImport. The "Pvd" refers to Personal Video Database.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:58:56 am »

I assume Film View is a library item you created with different sorting?  I'm running a 1080i tv and really on looks good when I set the res to 720 which makes for only 2 titles x 2 titles large in a view with a side car.  Anyway of reducing the coverart size and text size in this view so I can fit more titles?

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:23:03 pm »

Options - Theatre View - Appearance - Size changes the size of everything relatively.

Options - Theatre View - Customize file info panel - Manage - Edit template - Style changes the size of the cover art used in the Info Panel "large view." Use this to set how much horizontal screen space is used for text vs. the cover (small, standard or large).

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:49:30 am »

Thanks....still navigating through this.  So many options.  It's confusing but adds a tremendous amount of flexibility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up