INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 14 to organise 'other things'? [AKA ClipNotes]  (Read 1834 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Media Center 14 to organise 'other things'? [AKA ClipNotes]
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:04:34 am »

Hi,

Organising my music in JRiver Media Center is a dream come true!
But how could I use JRiver Media Center as a database of information to organise 'other things' (other than Music, Images, Videos etc...)
I want to be able use the power of customized views, column sorting, filtering, searching, custom fields, etc...

For example, I might to use JRiver Media Center as a 'Contact Manager'.
I would have a list of all my contacts and information about them [name] [address] [home number] [mobile number] [e-mail] [notes] [hobbies] [favorite colour] etc...
Just an example.

Does any one have any ideas how I could accomplish this?? :)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 14 to organise 'other things'?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:28:17 am »

There were thoughts of doing exactly what you describe a while ago - but it never took off :)

You can achieve something similar by creating dummy files for each 'Person'... eg text files... and naming them each with a person's name. Custom fields could then be created (like the ones you described) and you could then tag your dummy files with appropriate values. The only drawback is that you'd need to manually create new entries by generating txt files manually in explorer (as there is no way to create 'virtual' entities in MC).

Interestingly, Windows Live Photo Gallery and Picasa have both linked their "People" fields with their respective online contacts services. It might be interesting if MC tried something similar... perhaps by hooking in to either of these services maybe.

Lasse_Lus

Re: Media Center 14 to organise 'other things'?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 06:29:40 am »

what's stopping you ?  :)

you can create any custom fields and add what ever you want to the db, i use MC for everything it's and absolutly amazing, control control... 8)
MT5FR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 14 to organise 'other things'? [AKA ClipNotes]
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 06:58:02 am »

For example, I might to use JRiver Media Center as a 'Contact Manager'.
I would have a list of all my contacts and information about them [name] [address] [home number] [mobile number] [e-mail] [notes] [hobbies] [favorite colour] etc...
Aha!  I've been thinking about this for a while.  Matt is still lukewarm about it.

I store my contacts on gmail and in Palm Desktop.  I don't have a solution for Vista or Win7 yet, and I find google slow and tedious to use.

I edited the topic title to add a name for this feature (or maybe a separate program).

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 07:24:38 am »

:D I was wondering if Jim would bring up that past conversation.

Links to some other place when MC has real people tagging tools for images makes perfect sense. I still say if you're going to add contacts, then you need to add email capability, calendar, etc. Wait, I have Outlook for that.
Jeff

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:31 am »

:D I was wondering if Jim would bring up that past conversation.

Links to some other place when MC has real people tagging tools for images makes perfect sense. I still say if you're going to add contacts, then you need to add email capability, calendar, etc. Wait, I have Outlook for that.
how about an mc plugin that allows it to plugin to outlook ;)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »

I think it should definitely hook into the [People] field in some way. As far as Calendar, Email etc... I don't think J River should have dedicated services for these - there are enough of these out there already. It would be neat, however, if MC could hook into various other services out there in some way (Gmail, Live, Facebook, Myspace) even if it were just a simple matter of linking to a facebook page, for example. I do think it could be great if MC could hook into my Gmail contacts and do a sync (Picasa does this, and I know facebook can check your google contacts too so I think it's possible).

Whatever you do, as long as there were a way to export in a format that other services can use it could be really useful. Ideally this would be through an automatic sync.

A central place which links all services in which people are a focus might be really interesting - Eg If I can look under "Bob" and:
  • see all the photos tagged with "Bob" (ideally with face tagging!)
  • Change Bob's address/contact details/birthday/relationship etc
  • Sync these with gmail/live any other services you might choose to add
  • See links to various social networking pages Bob might be on (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace etc)
  • Promote community features and find a useful way to incorporate into pix01

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »

It is our longstanding policy not to confirm speculation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up