INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Ripping Problems: 14.0.84/88  (Read 1880 times)

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
CD Ripping Problems: 14.0.84/88
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:47:10 pm »

Hi,

As mentioned in the 14.0.84 thread, I now have serious CD ripping issues; a lot of 'white noise/static' on my ripped tracks.

The problem seems to be with the rip itself rather than the encode (I use FLAC normally), as the original wav files that get ripped have the same noise. I've tried a number of CDs all with the same result. Up until 14.0.84 everything was fine, and on reverting to .81 I no longer have the problem.

I had the problem originally with Vista but have just upgraded to Windows 7 and still get exactly the same result.

A secure rip reports no issues at all. Any clues?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CD Ripping Problems: 14.0.84
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »

No idea.  Did you try 84 again after 81 worked?

What happens if you rip with 84 and play with 81?  (It could be on the playback side.)

There were some changes for tagging of WAV files that could have caused problems.  The next build fixes the tagging problems.  It's possible they are related.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: CD Ripping Problems: 14.0.84/88
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 05:11:33 am »

Hi,

I see benn600 has the same issues (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54546.0). I've tried again with .88 and have the same problem with this build.

I've tried changing the number of concurrent encoders, and sometimes I get a few files with no noise, but the problem always seems to occur in some of the files.

The only solution that does seem to work is to select "Encode concurrently with ripping", but this slows down my rips considerably.

Jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:54 am »

The only solution that does seem to work is to select "Encode concurrently with ripping", but this slows down my rips considerably.

I think this indicates some kind of problem with the temporary wav file. When the "Encode concurrently with ripping" setting is enabled MC encodes the ripped audio data directly from the RAM without creating a temporary file.

Does the problem occur with the build 88? If yes, have you enabled wave tagging in Plug-in Manager?

Can you reproduce the problem when you rip the same CD again? Do exactly the same tracks play as white noise? Are the individual tracks completely broken or do some parts of them play correctly?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 08:59:37 am »

Does the problem occur with the build 88?
Yes.

If yes, have you enabled wave tagging in Plug-in Manager?
Do you mean Input->WAV Plugin->Configure->Do Not Write Tags to Wave/AIFF files? I've tried both now (was initially checked); didn't make a difference.

Can you reproduce the problem when you rip the same CD again?
Yes.

Do exactly the same tracks play as white noise?
No; tried to rip Cerys Matthews/Don't Look Down and got the following broken tracks (of 12 total):
Rip 1: 4,5,10,11,12
Rip 2: 2,3,4,8,10,11
Rip 3: 2,9,10,11,12

Are the individual tracks completely broken or do some parts of them play correctly?
Seems to be either completely broken or completely OK, based on a quick scan (I didn't want to listen to lots of white noise!). Actually, the last 2 or 3 seconds of broken tracks seem ok - the noise seems to 'fade out' at the very end of the track, and the music can be heard for a second or two.

Other info:
I tried changing the CD read speed -no difference, but I'm not certain the changes had any effect anyway as the drive still seemed to spin up to the same speed regardless of the setting in MC Options.

I have 2 CD drives (Pioneer DVR-212) - both affected.

Was using 32 bit Vista and now 64 bit Win 7 - both affected.

Max Rip/Encode/Combined set to 2/4/6 respectively. Have tried other settings - same result.

Tried with and without 'analyze audio during ripping' - same result.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:37 am »

So the problem is probably not caused by the new wave tagging option. (In any case it would be unnecessary to tag temporary files. I hope MC doesn't do that.)

I still can't reproduce the problem on XP, but perhaps something works differently on Vista/W7.

I checked the release logs of the builds 82-88 and found only one thing that potentially could be related to the problem:
14.0.84 (10/16/2009)
12. Fixed: WAVE input plug-in did not handle padding byte in chunk data correctly.

In addition to the new tagging capability it is the only listed change that has something to do with wave files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:21 am »

The slightly odd thing is that at the end of the broken tracks, it almost sounds like something is slowing down, and the music can be heard again. Could it be to do with how the data is ripped? Does the rip process slow down as it reaches the end of each track?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:57:55 am »

Thank you Jim Legg for helping describe this issue.  I use the non-concurrent encoding configuration 1,1,2 combined concurrent.  Secure.  Flac quality 8.  Temp wave stored on C drive.  The CD I was ripping resulted in a few tracks being completely white noise -- in the parts I skipped around to hear.

I have reverted to .81 so I can get my content ripped.

I noticed that the rip encode options got reset in the build.  I had to manually change FLAC quality back to 8 from the default that got set.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »

This can happen when concurrent ripping is disabled.

It will be fixed next build.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »

Good news! Thanks Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up