INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I burn CD Audio discs from m4a files?  (Read 8328 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
How can I burn CD Audio discs from m4a files?
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:59 pm »

When attempting to burn CD Audio discs from unprotected m4a files, CDs burn with only track headers.

The work around I've found is really a pain in the a$$. I first convert to uncompressed wav files and then I burn from them.

Performing this two step process is something I don't think MC should require me to do since it is supposed to be the be-all, end-all of media players.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can do this without requiring me to use that God-awful ITunes?
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

dlmax63

• World Citizen
Re: How can I burn CD Audio discs from m4a files?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »

[bump]

I edited my previous post in hopes of getting some sort of response.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:02 am »

Make sure you've got m4a set to decode through our native playback engine, not Quicktime:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:23:55 am »

Thanks, Matt.

I do have the playback method set to "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)" and I've selected a source filter of "DC-Bass Source". I've also tried setting the source filter to "Automatic" but the results were the same.

Any other suggestions?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »

I'm also unable to convert M4A files for use on either burning to CD or for simple conversion.  I've had this problem for a LONG time (since v11 at least).  It seems to go away and then come back all on it's own.

I have my setting set to:

Incidentally, if I leave it set to Automatic or the above settings, the files play back fine.  However, if I just enable DirectShow Audio playback, and leave the Bitrate Monitor enabled, then all M4A files play back at SUPER SPEED.

Either way, the conversion fails no matter what I have it set to (or at least everything I've tried)!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

Thanks, Glynor

Since I doubt JRiver is going to address this issue due to the problem existing for this long, I'll continue converting to wav w/dBpoweramp and then burn to disk.

I guess I'll have to accept that Media Center does almost everything I need it to. I am, however, disappointed that a basic function such as CD audio burning is not always supported by an otherwise great program. MPEG-4 is certainly not a new nor proprietary format, but I do concede that it's not used by a lot of people. I guess it comes down to the 'squeaky wheel' when it comes to available program development budget.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »

I'm also unable to convert M4A files for use on either burning to CD or for simple conversion.  I've had this problem for a LONG time (since v11 at least).  It seems to go away and then come back all on it's own.
Maybe something else you're installing is replacing a filter.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:44:06 pm »

Jim,

Your response gives me the impression that MC should be able to convert m4a in order to burn CD Audio disks. If this is the case, what is necessary as far as setup and filters to accomplish it? I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:45:19 pm »

MC can burn anything it can read natively or by using a DirectShow filter.  If you're using QT to play them, that won't work.  Explore Matt's suggestion above.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:16:13 pm »

This has not worked properly for me with M4A files.  I have gotten it to work occasionally over time (with a build here or there), but in general this is NOT so, with commonly used filters and my setups.

Can someone look at the screenshot I posted above and tell me what might be wrong?  Do you need logs?  I'm happy to try to help figure this out.

Like I said...  With it set like the screenshot above (Haali and FFDSHOW decoding) the files PLAY fine, but conversion to MP3 fails.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »

I too am willing to try whatever you suggest. Currently, I'm using dc-Bass for my filter. To burn its a real pain in the butt because I have to first do a conversion to wav, then import, then burn, then go back and delete the wav file.

As to QT being the culprit,...not possible because I don't have it loaded.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:49 pm »

I think I just figured my problem out...  I had the mixer enabled in FFDSHOW, expanding the audio to 5.1 surround.  The conversion engine expected a stereo audio input but was receiving 5.1 surround out of FFDSHOW, so it failed.  Do you have the Channel Mixer (or maybe digital output) active in FFDSHOW?  If you set your audio mode to anything other than Stereo audio in the CCCP Settings dialog, it enables the Channel Mixer in FFDSHOW.

If you open the FFDSHOW Audio settings tool, you can make a profile for just for conversion, and just disable all of the audio transforms in that profile.  Then just make sure to manually enable this profile before you do the conversion, and then switch back to the default for regular audio playback.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:29:38 pm »

I feel dumb.  I think I figured this out once before a long while ago, but then subsequently forgot.   ::)   :-[

Daydream

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:08:37 pm »

Hehe, old or new, that was a good catch. :) I tried last night just for testing and failed miserably, and 130% sure the mixer is enabled. I'm just curios, if you have ffdshow audio as your filter, to you get the option to actually configure it from within MC? Does it appear as an option to be triggered on the Configure button next to it, so you can call its interface? Or you have to do it completely outside MC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 10:26:20 pm »

A bug prevented burning from completing successfully.  The fix will appear in a new build.

Hehe, old or new, that was a good catch. :) I tried last night just for testing and failed miserably, and 130% sure the mixer is enabled. I'm just curios, if you have ffdshow audio as your filter, to you get the option to actually configure it from within MC? Does it appear as an option to be triggered on the Configure button next to it, so you can call its interface? Or you have to do it completely outside MC?

To configure FFDShow inside MC, use one of the following methods:

1. While FFDShow decoder is in use in a video playback, right-click > "DirectShow Filters" > click the filter name.

2. Tools > Options > File Types.  Select a file type, choose "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filters)".  Choose FFDShow audio decoder from "Other Filters" list.  Click "Configure" button on the right and choose the filter name.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daydream

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »

I know these options like the back of my hand. However... (see screenshot), the option is greyed out. This may not be related with the problem at hand here.

If I force it to work like that is not gonna work. If I install another AAC filter (say CoreAAC), ffdshow is not going to be picked regardless what I indicated. If you have any idea what might be causing this, please let me know. I'll continue my own troubleshooting too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:01 am »

Two things...

1. You need to DISABLE the mixer, not enable it.  Perhaps you meant that and just stated it backwards.

2. Yes, you can access the FFDSHOW UI from within MC.  Right at that spot where Daydream posted his screenshot above.

Daydream, you may need to disable the JRiver Bitrate monitor to get access to the configuration button.

Are you able to play the files back with it enabled?  I cannot.  If I set AAC/M4A audio to use the Bitrate monitor, all M4A audio playback occurs at double (or maybe even triple) speed.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:19 am »

I know these options like the back of my hand. However... (see screenshot), the option is greyed out. This may not be related with the problem at hand here.

If I force it to work like that is not gonna work. If I install another AAC filter (say CoreAAC), ffdshow is not going to be picked regardless what I indicated. If you have any idea what might be causing this, please let me know. I'll continue my own troubleshooting too.

The Configure button is enabled if there is at least one selected filter capable of displaying property pages.  Since you selected FFDShow audio decoder, the button should have been enabled.  Are you able to display the property pages outside of MC?  Maybe there is some registration issues with FFDShow.  Try reset settings in CCCP settings UI.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43:14 am »

Yaobing... Any idea about my high-speed playback issue with the Bitrate Monitor enabled?

The funny thing is that if I set the whole thing to Automatic (rather than JRiver audio engine, DirectShow) the playback is fine.  But as soon as I enable DirectShow manually (but leave everything else at the defaults) I get the high-speed playback.  I do see this issue with more than one PC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 09:06:35 am »

Bitrate monitor is not used in JRiver audio engine at all, in spite of the fact it is available for selection.  It would be really strange if you encounter a different behavior.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:38:15 am »

Bitrate monitor is not used in JRiver audio engine at all, in spite of the fact it is available for selection.  It would be really strange if you encounter a different behavior.

I do, and it enables itself by default for M4A/ACC as soon as I change the Playback Method from Automatic to JRiver audio engine.  The Source filter stays set at Automatic, but the Other Filters setting auto switches to enable ONLY the Bitrate Monitor.

Interestingly, I just tried playback using my Vista 32-bit machine at work with this setting, and it worked fine (no high-speed playback with it left like that).  However, I have very different audio hardware on this machine (a M-Audio Delta 66), so I don't know if that may make any difference.  My home tests were all done on Windows 7 64-bit with onboard RealTek audio.  The current build of CCCP is installed all around.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:16 am »

The monitor filter is selected by default, but it is not used in audio engine.  Can you verify that the monitor filter is actually used?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:36 am »

The monitor filter is selected by default, but it is not used in audio engine.  Can you verify that the monitor filter is actually used?

That appears to be the case here on my Vista machine.  But, like I said, I'm not seeing the high-speed playback issue here.  I'll have to check it at home tonight.

Here's the graph on this system (which works correctly with those settings):
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info (Graph for type: m4a):

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {EC1F74A8-7E55-4814-9F9F-D417489075CA}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'Haali Media Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {000000FF-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Haali Media Splitter'
        CLSID: {55DA30FC-F16B-49FC-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\Haali\splitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {000000FF-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Pages: [1]   Go Up