INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WD TV Live -- Works with MC14  (Read 21394 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
WD TV Live -- Works with MC14
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:10 am »

Western Digital makes a small, quiet device that connects to your TV and can play media from MC14.

It's called the WD TV Live and Amazon offers it for $119.

It connects to the TV with HDMI, composite, or component cable, and it connects to your LAN.  It has two USB ports so you can plug in a drive or USB stick.

JRiver Media Center's DLNA / UPnP Server works with it, so you can stream audio, video (up to 1080p), and images from MC.  With the latest build (118) of MC, you can also control it from your PC.

More at Western Digital

JimH

• Administrator
Re: WD TV Live -- Works with MC14.0.118
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:09:36 am »

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9    
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI    

- MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
- WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
- H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
- An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
- Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
- Single layer TIFF files only.
- Uncompressed BMP only.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Re: WD TV Live -- Works with MC14
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »

Okay I've got one of these now.  (thanks for the rec, btw)

Forgive me as this is my first go'round with DLNA and UPnP devices.

I've got the WD connected and it sees my MC library.
I can see the WD unit as a zone.  I can send audio to it and it plays on the unit and can be controlled by MC. (WooHoo!)
The house is already "wired"B for sound so my real interest for this unit is on the Video side

If I go into video (from the WD) it sees the JRiver as a Media Server but when I expand it I get a repeat of the 1st level structure each time I try to expand:

Audio
Video-->
           Audio
           Video-->
                       Audio
                       Video-->
                       Images
           Images
Images

Also, if I try to send a video from MC to the WD Zone it appears in the playlist in MC but nothing happens in the WD.
Edit:  I am now getting the audio from the video playing on the WD but no actual video.

Any ideas?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »

Also, if I try to send a video from MC to the WD Zone it appears in the playlist in MC but nothing happens in the WD.
Edit:  I am now getting the audio from the video playing on the WD but now actual video.

Any ideas?

Okay another update - although I am only getting the audio when playing a video from MC when I went back to the WD interface and selected a video from a network share I did get a flash of the video that had been playing from MC before it switched to the new video selection.

Still getting the messed up library structure tho.

(I am sensing it is close to working correctly...)
:)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »

You'll need to have conversion checked in options.

Video is more complex and we may not have it right for this device yet.

We're still learning.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:19:44 pm »

any other options I should or shouldn't?

Checked the convert video option but no change in  result.  Changed it back and no can no longer get audio either.   It does seem to be a little early but I am happy to test as the development progresses.  The unit functions adequately for what I need it to do.  Having it intgrated to MC would be awesome tho.

Any idea why I can't browse my structure and I keep getting a repeat of the core structure when expanding an area?  Seems to be similar to a problem I had with browsing the tree in NetRemote a few years ago....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:39:08 pm »

Our audio conversion may be broken.  I found, by trial and error, that MP3 files unconverted played fine, but it I tried converting, the duration was wrong.  Several longer files were truncated to 5:34 minutes.

Maybe not your problem, but WinoMidWest is still scratching his head.

We'll get this.  Thanks for your help and your patience.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:25 am »

Does this mean you can "send" media to be rendered to a DLNA compatible unit like the WDTV Live?
Or can you, from the WDTV Live, access your MC library?
If the latter, or both,
Does this include playlists/viewschemes?
Do you see TheatreView rendered by the WDTV Live?

When I move into the new house and set up the media stuff, I'll report back on how the Patriot Box Office (more capable WDTV Live alternative) gets along.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:15 am »

Does this mean you can "send" media to be rendered to a DLNA compatible unit like the WDTV Live?
Or can you, from the WDTV Live, access your MC library?
Both.  The "send" (using MC as a Control Point) isn't perfect yet.
If the latter, or both,
Does this include playlists/viewschemes?
Do you see TheatreView rendered by the WDTV Live?
You should be able to play a playlist in either mode.  But the interface/GUI on any DLNA Box is determined by its hardware.  They are all different.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:49 am »

Thanks Jim! I see a lot of potential in the future.

And it's all the more reason that MC should come up with a cheap (~$100) DLNA renderer device that can display Theatre and Standard View - just not tagging, other than ratings perhaps. I like the SAGETV HD extender model, but with the MC frontends. I keep bringing up the idea, but with DLNA it will really fly. I'd get 5 at least, probably a few more to give as presents.

Whether or not that becomes a reality ever, I'm very happy that you're embracing this technology.

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:12:15 pm »

This DLNA stuff sounds great!
Just another question:
When I connect a HD to the WD directly containing a lot of music,
will I be able to control playback of this music on the WD from MC14?
So I can only use MC as contol? and leave mp3s and audio output at the WD box?

That would be the best solution I guess!
Thanks
Raist

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:17 pm »

May I ask a stupid question?

What's the point of having a device like WDTV? If I have an HTPC with MC next to my TV/Stereo, I don't need anything in between, right?
Or I am missing something?

Thanks!

-max

Western Digital makes a small, quiet device that connects to your TV and can play media from MC14.

It's called the WD TV Live and Amazon offers it for $109.

It connects to the TV with HDMI, composite, or component cable, and it connects to your LAN.  It has two USB ports so you can plug in a drive or USB stick.

JRiver Media Center's DLNA / UPnP Server works with it, so you can stream audio, video (up to 1080p), and images from MC.  With the latest build (118) of MC, you can also control it from your PC.

More at Western Digital

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »

What's the point of having a device like WDTV? If I have an HTPC with MC next to my TV/Stereo, I don't need anything in between, right?
It's an alternative to a Home Theater PC.  They're meant for connecting to a TV and accessing content from somewhere else on the network.  They can't replace an HTPC in all respects, but they can play media from another location.

This type of device (DLNA) comes in various forms.  Some have screens so you don't need a TV.  Some have no screen and only play audio.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »

May I ask a stupid question?

Or I am missing something?

Thanks!

-max

Yes  - I have a full blown HTPC in the living room and all my media has been digital for some time now.  I am not likely to ever replace my main HTPC with this but I purchased one of these to replace an OLD XBMC that the kids were using in the basement as it didn't have the juice to play HD content.  I liked it so much that I displaced the HTPC in the bedroom and will buy another one for the kids.  Its still not working correctly with my JRiver library yet so I am using it on the network shares for the time being.  Will be real slick if I can access the JRiver library correctly.
Cheers!
-wino

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »

Jim/Wino -
Thanks! Got it. Just trying to convince myself that I need one.. : )

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »

Just trying to convince myself that I need one.. : )

I just LOVE that unique human ability/trait!

(It really works well and does in fact play everything I've thrown at it...)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

I, too, find these boxes amazing but just have a difficult time branching away from the full HTPC.  My latest build looks exactly like a nice piece of home theater equipment.  In the key areas, a receiver or separates will always be present and it is not much extra to devote to a HTPC.  It is great having the full MC available.  I would go (and have gone) insane dealing with those small set top box user interfaces.  At least with a computer the software can be updated regularly--and so far, MC has been updated regularly.

It would be awesome to get a silent box for $100 - $200 as opposed to spending just under a grand for a silent computer system--although it is important to keep the differences in mind.  A full computer system is clearly more able than the ultra portable, tiny boxes.  I actually find them ugly and a downfall when paired with nicer equipment.  But the convenience would be so amazing.

Daydream

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »

Yeap, that's the truth. These closed boxes rule for price and convenience. But in the world of multimedia, sooner or later, and all things considered probably sooner than later, you'll be faced with the problem that it doesn't play that <insert name here> format you just want it to have. And then at best you're at the hand of the manufacturer to provide updates, if it ever happens. Say most of these boxes don't handle lossless audio (unless we're talking about Dune BD Prime but I doubt that thing knows DLNA).

An HTPC is a computer, you can tweak it to your liking.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 03:18:51 pm »

I totally agree.  I will never get rid of my HTPC (now its its 5th generation) and only see my WD Live TV boxes as a supplement to my home network.  I have enough tweaking and playing to do with a server, htpc on work computers.  This box allows me to add the htpc capabilities and easy access to my digital media to the secondary TVs in the house without the overhead of another computer.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 12:31:06 am »

I just downloaded the trial version and tried it with my wdtvlive box.  It found it fine and played an audio file, but no luck with video of any type.  Has anyone had luck playing a movie?

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 07:18:36 am »

This DLNA stuff sounds great!
Just another question:

That would be the best solution I guess!
Thanks
Raist

I would like to repeat my question as it was not answered yet!
Thanks
Raist

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 07:46:48 am »

I just downloaded the trial version and tried it with my wdtvlive box.  It found it fine and played an audio file, but no luck with video of any type.  Has anyone had luck playing a movie?
Video isn't yet supported.  It will be soon.

Matt says I'm wrong.  Make sure you've got video conversion selected on the server.

What video types are you trying?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 07:51:28 am »

The WD HD TV Live is a renderer, so it connects to your TV, and playback is there.

It will show up in MC's Playing Now as a zone and you can drop files on it to play them.

I don't think that you can controll files from a hard disk attached to the WD HD from MC.  I'll try to test this.  The limitation is with the WD HD, not with MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 09:36:50 am »

The WD HD TV Live is a renderer, so it connects to your TV, and playback is there.

It will show up in MC's Playing Now as a zone and you can drop files on it to play them.

I don't think that you can controll files from a hard disk attached to the WD HD from MC.  I'll try to test this.  The limitation is with the WD HD, not with MC.
Tested and it's as I said.  In MC, you can send files to be played on the WD HD, but you can't control playback of files on an attached USB drive, except by using the WD HD interface and its remote.

Take a look at Philips Streamiums.  They may have a more complete implementation.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »

I've tried mkv, ifo, m4v, and avi.  Sometime the status just says opening...., sometimes it starts and runs for a few seconds, but I never see any change on my tv.  Generic DNLA shows up under media servers on the wdtv screen and I can play movies from there using the ir remote, but I cannot initiate play from within MC.

I've got "convert video" checked.  I'm seeing alot of "received request for device description"s in the log.  Around 1 per minute.

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 03:22:23 pm »

Tested and it's as I said.  In MC, you can send files to be played on the WD HD, but you can't control playback of files on an attached USB drive, except by using the WD HD interface and its remote.

Take a look at Philips Streamiums.  They may have a more complete implementation.

Thanks for trying and thanks for the hint towards the Streamiums.
Raist

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

I've found that I can't play a movie of any type with MC, either with the wdtv media server osd or initiated through MC.  I do not have a video player installed on the pc and nothing will show up in the movies folder under video after a library scan.  I think I'm missing something.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 07:22:50 am »

I've found that I can't play a movie of any type with MC, either with the wdtv media server osd or initiated through MC.  I do not have a video player installed on the pc and nothing will show up in the movies folder under video after a library scan.  I think I'm missing something.
Make sure you can play it on your PC first.

Then check that you have conversion set in the DLNA options in MC.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 09:43:16 am »

I have both "convert video" and "support video content" checked under dlna/upnp - options - video.  I installed a player and can select a file from Video/Files and watch it on the monitor connected to the pc.  I cannot watch it when sent to the WDTVLIVE zone.  I can only successfully send music to the WDTVLIVE zone.  Photos and videos do not work for me on the WDTVLIVE zone.  I also cannot view video when selecting from the generic dlna media server on the wdtv osd.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:17 am »

I have both "convert video" and "support video content" checked under dlna/upnp - options - video.  I installed a player and can select a file from Video/Files and watch it on the monitor connected to the pc.  I cannot watch it when sent to the WDTVLIVE zone.  I can only successfully send music to the WDTVLIVE zone.  Photos and videos do not work for me on the WDTVLIVE zone.  I also cannot view video when selecting from the generic dlna media server on the wdtv osd.
You're correct.  Video isn't working on the WD HD TV Live.  We'll see what we can do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:21 am »

You're correct.  Video isn't working on the WD HD TV Live.  We'll see what we can do.
I take it back.  Some mpg video (at least) works if I turn conversion off in MC's DLNA options and browse MC's DLNA Server from the WD.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:40 am »

Thanks for the update.  I've been searching for an issue on my end.  If there is anything you'd like me to try, let me know.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

What file types are you trying?

Did you update the WD firmware?

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 12:37:57 am »

With convert video not checked in dlna options, I tried mkv and ifo without success.  Then I tried m4v and I could hear the movie but there was no video out of the wdtv box.  I pressed the power button on the wdtv remote to turn it off and the movie displayed briefly as the unit was shutting down.  I powered back up the wdtv and the movie played during the boot up time but video stopped when the wdtv osd loaded, audio continued.

Next, I checked "convert video" in dlna options and retried the same files with no luck (no video, no audio).

Firmware version for wdtvlive is 1.01.17.  I think that is the latest version.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:51 am »

With convert video not checked in dlna options, I tried mkv and ifo without success.  Then I tried m4v and I could hear the movie but there was no video out of the wdtv box.  I pressed the power button on the wdtv remote to turn it off and the movie displayed briefly as the unit was shutting down.  I powered back up the wdtv and the movie played during the boot up time but video stopped when the wdtv osd loaded, audio continued.
Did you try playing "from" the WDTV?

I saw results similar to yours when I was using the MC interface to "send" to the WDTV.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 06:51:56 pm »

Just tried from the WDTV.  None of my video files would play.  I get an "unable to play selected file, see the manual for supported formats" message.

Audio and photos play fine from the wdtv.

My server menus seem odd.  There are audio, video, photos, playlist folders after selecting any of the main headings under the wdtv osd.  For example, I go to video, media servers, generic DLNA and I see all of those folders.

I've used Wild Media Server with success on the same video files.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »

Just tried from the WDTV.  None of my video files would play.  I get an "unable to play selected file, see the manual for supported formats" message.

Audio and photos play fine from the wdtv.

My server menus seem odd.  There are audio, video, photos, playlist folders after selecting any of the main headings under the wdtv osd.  For example, I go to video, media servers, generic DLNA and I see all of those folders.
Make sure you're selecting video first.  Select mpg or something that has a good chance of working. The odd menus are because of DLNA.  We may be able to improve them.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 10:52:58 pm »

Selected video first, tried all of the files I had previously with no luck (including ifo).  The m4v that kinda played before gave the same error message as the others.

What has me interested in this is the control aspect.  I don't want to use the weenie remote that came with the wdtv or the awful wdtv gui.  I want to load jrmc on a small efficient pc, connect a touchscreen or use a handheld to have it start movies stored on my nas to be played on the wdtv box.  Please post anything I can do to help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:45 am »

Selected video first, tried all of the files I had previously with no luck (including ifo).  The m4v that kinda played before gave the same error message as the others.
Was conversion off?  Build 136?

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 08:21:40 am »

"Convert video" was checked.  Version 14.0.130.  I'll update and report results.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 09:31:19 am »

I updated to build 136.  The only difference that I can see is that I can now select one file type that I have (m4v) from the wdtv video/media servers/generic dnla menu and it plays.  Selecting other file types resets the box.  I can't send movies to the wdtv zone from within media center.  I'm not sure what should be working?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 09:36:13 am »

Give us a week to work on this.  Thanks for all the details.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 10:57:51 am »

No problem.  I'll check back next week.

mweb

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:11 am »

The wdtv firmware has a bug.  Video work for me for m4v file type if I bring up a photo on the wdtv and then start the movie from media center.  I'm not sure why other file types won't work.  I'll try again after the next firmware update.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:22 pm »

Whether or not that becomes a reality ever, I'm very happy that you're embracing this technology.
I'm wondering what MC does in this setup besides being a server. From that pov its no different to a file server. Maybe if we include conversions for media that the WD TV does not support natively. Other than that there is no more "MC experience " streamed over AFAICT.

WD TV seems like a quick way for those with a HDD full of stuff and no media mgr to quickly view their content on a TV. No need to have a PC in the living room. Tho being presented with folders if the media server is massive will quickly get old.

Maybe MC might help to streamline the overload by creating custom views based off smartlists or playlists, tho i'm not sure how the folder structure would transmit over to the WD TV. The idea is to be able to say easily create subviews of the library and only transmit those over to the WD TV. Is this possible atm ?

What else can MC do further to improve things with WD TV ?

What metadata can be transmitted over so
- replay gain data is preserved and does not require conversions
- cover art is displayed

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 01:41:33 pm »

WD TV seems like a quick way for those with a HDD full of stuff and no media mgr to quickly view their content on a TV. No need to have a PC in the living room. Tho being presented with folders if the media server is massive will quickly get old.

It isn't just by folders.  The view on the WD is more or less as it's organized in MC.

If you want to see how this works, get the latest build of MC, run it on two machines, and set all 3 DLNA options on.

Instructions are in the wiki article on DLNA.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 11:46:49 am »

Does anyone have video working well on this yet?  I messed around a few months ago and didn't get anywhere before loaning out my WDTV Live.  Its coming back tomorrow and was hoping there was some progress here.  Is anyone able to watch a variety of video using the MC library as the server?
Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »

The WD supports a boatload of video formats. Make sure the firmware is up to date. You shouldn't need the video conversion switch on (unless you have some really weird formats).

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »

Yes it seems to play everything I have - just not through MC.  After hooking it back up again I am back to square one where all I get is the 3 categories (Audio, Images, Video) and when I try to expand those I get the same three categories again, again and again.  So now I don't even SEE any of the content there.
Ugh!

Its definitely not a content issue.  I can use another PC running XBMC and the WD Live sees and plays the content just fine.  I would really like to get this working with MC now.

Any idea why I am getting this endless loop of Audio, Image, Video?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »

On the MC side, check all three DLNA options.

Then delete whatever server you've got showing there, and add a new one, choosing all defaults.

If that doesn't work, then check the firewall.  MC uses ports 52100 to 52199.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up