INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remotes  (Read 2055 times)

TorsteinP

Remotes
« on: December 13, 2009, 07:35:15 am »

There hasn't been much progress in remotes over the last few years.  The originals by Microsoft were very good.  Since then, there is a lot of debris.  We spent several months testing.

There is another class of remotes at the $100 plus level that some people seem to like.  Ours is a good combination of quality and price.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've been using MC since MC11.

Just wants to share my experience with remotes. I've tried lots of different remotes. I've found Logitech remotes to be very good, but you can't control PC programs with any of them.

My solution is SnapStream FireFly combined with USB UIRT controled by Promixis Girder 5 software. SnapStream FireFly is an RF remote. The USB UIRT is an IR transmitter combined with a IR receiver for learning IR codes. Girder 5 is an incredible piece of software that detects buttons pressed on SnapStream FireFly and can then translate them to IR codes that USB UIRT transmits to my TV, Home Theater system and satelite receiver. It can also send keyboard events or key press to any software on my PC. It also has macro functions so I can send several codes to different devices with one key on the FireFly.

This setup is a bit more expensive then the MC remote. $49.95 for FireFly, $50 for USB UIRT and $49.95 for Girder 5. Total about $150, but for me it's well worth it :)

Also got everything working on Win7 x64 after a bit of driver tweaking.

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Remotes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »

ok.. yeah jim i'm returning that t91mt too. i bought upgraded ram tweaked even set performance for high performance basic classic views, updated drivers for chipset.. and still VERY SLOWWWW!!!  i dont think those netbook will work for us users with large libraries yet:( so now im back to drawing board on remotes that have keyboard\mouse\functionality.almost looking like the logitech dinovo mini is my only option :(  which really is too bad, cause i'm gonna have 3 remotes. a laptop for remote desktop connection when by bonfire outside\ a mini htpc remote\keyboard, and a universal remote for all lights and theater devices...  you know you'd think for how many htpc's are out there some large corp would make  a all in one htpc remote.

anyway. ty for replies. and happy new year.

rick.ca

Remotes
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »

My solution is SnapStream FireFly combined with USB UIRT controled by Promixis Girder 5 software...

This is a very good "all in one htpc remote." I get by with a simpler/cheaper version: I decided I could do without USB UIRT and found Girder too expensive and intimidating. So I got a Firefly and drive it with LM Remote KeyMap. The Firefly is an RF remote, so doesn't require line-of-sight. It will emulate a mouse. The software can be configured to use any application, and will create menus—so the remote is not limited to one function per key.

HTPC4ME

Remotes
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »

how many hometheater devices can you control with it? can you setup macros? how bout when your in theaterview and choose music\rock, and want to go straight to Tesla? is there away to type tes. and theaterview automatically goes there? not seeing light up buttons? do the buttons light up?
TY

HTPC4ME

Remotes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »

i thought i would just start a thread. if thats ok.... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55471.0

rick.ca

Re: Remotes
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:22:49 pm »

how many hometheater devices can you control with it? can you setup macros? how bout when your in theaterview and choose music\rock, and want to go straight to Tesla? is there away to type tes. and theaterview automatically goes there? not seeing light up buttons? do the buttons light up?

how many hometheater devices can you control with it?

I suppose you have to program it to address the appropriate device, but I'm not aware of any limit to the number of devices. If your devices are controlled via IR, I suggest you have a look at the USB-UIRT website.

can you setup macros?

Depends what you mean by "macro." LM Remote Desktop offers some limited macro-like functionality. From what I hear of Girder, there's no limit to what it can do.

is there away to type tes

The same as most numeric keypads... 8, 3-3, 7-7-7-7. You may prefer to use the OSK in Theatre View, but this works in any program (unless you've programmed the numeric keys to do something else).

do the buttons light up?

No. Real men don't need lit buttons. Use Girder to program that remote so it can do no harm, and give it to GF. ;)

HTPC4ME

Re: Remotes
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

i never got a email for this thread being replied to. sorry an thank you for reply

how do i enable OSK in theaterview?
Pages: [1]   Go Up