INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible hardware problems  (Read 3281 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Possible hardware problems
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

htpc has been up a couple weeks now. and in theaterview have had quite a few crashes, and theater view stays up with the close jriver box. is there a app anyone is using to auto close jriver and then reopen it to theaterview if it crashes?
TY

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a way to have jriver auto restart if it crashes?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:21 am »

htpc has been up a couple weeks now. and in theaterview have had quite a few crashes, and theater view stays up with the close jriver box. is there a app anyone is using to auto close jriver and then reopen it to theaterview if it crashes?
TY
Please try the link called "Stability" in my signature.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

thanks jim.. will work on this tonight when son goes back home to his mom's. hopefully we can get this knocked out. bro had 7 crashes this weekend where jriver would just stick on theaterview. and he couldnt close theaterview until i came around and forced a close.  it maybe a imon issue ( control jriver with imon through harmony remote.) so will do some heavy testing and hopefully i can get this bug worked out. also i should mention the htpc is only running 2Gig due to the fact they sent me one bad stick when i bought the parts. The other 2 gig is on its way. so hopefully that will fix issue as well?!

also Jim ive been speaking with imon\soundgraph on them making imon have the ability to display jriver playing now info on the lcd screen. is this something you guys would be interested in working on with them? they mentioned in there forum...
Dear xtacbyme,

In order to display media information of JRiver Media Center, JRiver Media Center should have the feature sending media information to the external application and we need to check if JRiver has this kind of feature. And if it has, iMON also needs to be implemented to use this information. Currently iMON can display media information from iMEDIAN HD, Media Center, Winamp and iTunes and we will add MediaPortal and MPC-HC in the future update.

Regards,
Johnny Hur

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:18:32 am »

Yeah... Something is wrong.  It shouldn't crash regularly at all.   I have a couple of copies of MC that run my video wall at work, and they regularly run for 30+ days without any crashes at all (one of which is usually in Theater View mode).

I'd start with general stability tests to rule out hardware issues as the cause.  Check your Video Card drivers as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:02 am »

good point.. thank you glynor.... any additonal software i can download to give it a battering of tests?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:19 am »

A good, simple first test is Memtest86+.  Grab it, burn it, boot to it, and make sure the system can run one full pass on the memory with no errors.  Then, boot to windows...  I'd get Prime95 to start.  It should absolutely be able to run the torture test on "blend" for at least 24 hours with no crashes, warnings, or errors.

Assuming you pass those two basic tests, I'd test the GPU.  There are some special-purpose GPU testers out there, but I'm not really a big fan.  Many of them seemed designed to crash the system, even if you'd otherwise never see any real problems.  If you don't have any newer high-end games to test with, I'd try running a few passes of FutureMark's 3DMark.  That should push the GPU pretty hard, but in a realistic manner.  Make sure you download and install the LATEST drivers for your graphics card before starting, even if 3DMark warns that they aren't "certified" (you don't care about publishing your score and showing off, just testing).

Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/
Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
3DMark Vantage: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/download/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:28 am »

thanks glynor. will post results tomm the latest.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

well ran the memtest on the one 2Gig card. and no errors.  do you suggest i run the other 2 proggies now? or should i wait until my return of the other 2 gig ram comes in on thursday?

TY

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Possible hardware problems
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:55 am »

I'd probably wait.  If you add additional hardware, you'd really have to test it again.

HTPC4ME

Re: Possible hardware problems
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:40:17 am »

ok ty, ill do that then
Pages: [1]   Go Up