INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POSSIBLE NEW FEATURE: WASAPI, ASIO, etc. output for video playback  (Read 5465 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

We're considering adding the ability to use Media Center's well regarded audio output plugins (ASIO, WASAPI exclusive, Direct Sound, etc.) during video playback.

I want to be able to use ASIO during video playback because it's the only way to achieve bit-matched output using Creative sound cards (and maybe Asus sound cards).  There was some discussion about that here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55607.0

Would you find this feature useful?  Thanks for any feedback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: POSSIBLE NEW FEATURE: WASAPI, ASIO, etc. output for video playback
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »

Matt, Have you had a play with Reclock to see if it changes the sound device's master sampling rate?  It may be worth having a look at the Reclock code (it's open source, published etc) as it already lets us set a big range of options including:
- Choice of Renderer (including WASAPI)
- Bit Depth (including Output = Input + 16, 24, 24 padded into 32, 32 bit integer, 32 bit float)
- Sample Rate (including Output = Input + 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192khz)
- Configure Speaker Output = # of Input Channels

Many of us already use this filter to do this plus more (primarily to keep audio and video in sync, + some for PAL speedup removal) already for all our Video sources so I'd hate to see JR reinvent the wheel or add another layer.  There is an active forum for changes, improvements etc, so if it does not do exactly what you want they listen to the proposals and readily include them to make it better.  They added WASAPI and Configure Speaker Output after some of my enquiries, and currently they are comparing the merits of various resampling engines and algorithms which I'm sure would be right up your alley and make it better for us all!! ... http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85 

Thanks
Nathan 

I'll take a look.  Another option would be for us to be able to use our existing audio output plugins (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) during video playback.

Moved these posts to keep them together...
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »

Yes, I think it would be useful. I use Reclock as my audio renderer and have it set for WASAPI exlusive output so I already get what I want. However, it would be easier, especially for beginners, to have this capability integrated with MC.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:59:56 pm »

Definitely interested, it should allow me to use MC + Win 7 + RME Digi 96/8 soundcard for AC3/DTS Spdif passthrough. The last official driver for this card was for XP, however the ASIO component of this driver can be used in Vista/Win 7 (32 bit only) with ASIO aware applications for playback. Some applications such as Media Player Classic and Virtual Audio Cable can even see and use the DirectSound components, so for DVD playback with Spdif passthrough I currently have to use MPC instead of MC.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57:07 am »

That would be nice. I might be able to throw away the reclock program my self.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up