INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: JR Remote Control and Anti-Repeat Time... Adjustability?  (Read 4027 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe

Hello,

I wanted to use the JRiver Remote Control (see pic above) and learned the IR codes to my touchpanel. The settings in Options-Remote Control-Devices & Options are set to

"Microsoft MCE" and "Anti-Repeat Time = 'Automatic'"

So far so good, only problem is that the touchpanel sends the IR command for the remote control, but only ONE command gets through... a second time UP or RIGHT for instance doesn't get accepted by the program... Why? (I suppose it is some sort of anti-repeat function in the program which prohibits the use of the same key several times)

I wanted to set the Anti-Repeat Time higher, but the value doesn't get accepted. After click on "OK" and re-entering the Devices&Options dialogue the value is set back to "Automatic"... why? How can I set my higher time value?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question: JR Remote Control and Anti-Repeat Time... Adjustability?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:39:13 pm »

So you're using the Touch Panel as a remote?  What is it?

Try activating both MCE and HID in MC's Devices for Remote Control.

MC has an option to disable MCE.  Try the search window in options.

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »

yes, my touchpanel has the ability to send IR commands to the computer - but it's not a "normal" touchpanel, it's an ELAN touchpanel, set up with a special program (it's a "special job" to program those darn panels, but it works pretty well once set up the right way)

just more than one IR command of one type doesn't get accepted by MC14...

I'll play around with the settings you mentioned, Jim, but can you tell me how I can make the Anti-Repeat time setting stick???

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »

Jim,

I activated MCE and HID - no success

where is that MCE setting in the options dialogues located? can't find it... (I use version 144)

oh, and I can change the IR command length sent from the touchpanels... probably I have to go higher than 0.2 seconds... ?

thanks

globetrotters1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »

Jim,

I tried different IR times, to no avail... I tried to switch off Windows MCE, no success... I tried another programmable remote control and learned the command from the JRiver remote control...

always the same result: just ONE command gets accepted, every attempt to send the same command once again there is no reaction of the program at all...

Why?

(and please tell me where that setting in Options should be where I can switch off Micro$oft MCE, thanks :) )

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »

(and please tell me where that setting in Options should be where I can switch off Micro$oft MCE, thanks :) )
I believe I renamed the ehome directory and rebooted.  I think it was under \windows.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:00:07 pm »

There is a "feature" called "Debounce" that you may need to disable in the registry for some Third Party remotes that send MCE codes - more info is in the WIKI at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Supported_Remote_Control_Devices#Media_Center_Edition_.28MCE.29_Remote_Control_and_Keyboard

NOTE: One trick is the MS Keyboard/RC uses a "debounce" feature that you need to turn off in the registry if you are going to program a third party universal remote control, since each key press on the MCE Remote / K'B sends alternative IR signals to prevent so called IR bounce. You can turn this off inside Windows Media Center on Vista or search in the registry for "debounce" and toggle the value.
JRiver CEO Elect

globetrotters1

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:52 pm »

it works! :)

yippee

jmone's hint was the right one! (I had to switch Media Center to 'Microsoft MCE' remote and had to toggle the 'EnableDebounce' at the first found entry (twice in the whole registry!) and had to restart the computer

THANKS

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »

Jim - it may be worth looking to add an option in MC (as with MS MC) that lets you turn off "debouce" without having to manually change the registry or run MS MC to do it.
Thanks
Nathan

EDIT - to be clear, MCE compatible remotes use two alternating IR codes for each button hence eliminating the issue of IR bounce as it will not accept the same IR code twice.  The issue is with Universal RC's where you "learn" the codes is that you only get ONE of them.  MS allow you to "turn off" the "debounce" feature in MS MC or you have to hack the registry manually.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up