INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can M2Tech HiFace run on JRiver?  (Read 24503 times)

tz1963

Can M2Tech HiFace run on JRiver?
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:26 am »

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out by telling me how to run the M2Tech HiFace run on JRiver. This seems to be difficult because certain drivers are missing.

Thanks,

T.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can M2Tech HiFace run on JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:05:22 pm »

I have one on order and hope it will work. Are you using XP or W7 and are you using 1.03 drivers? I am hoping that WASAPI on W7 will work. I can fall back to XP and Direct Sound, but that is not what I am hoping for.

tz1963

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:22 am »

My understanding is that the difficulty lies with kernel streaming (whatever that may be). On the M2Tech website it says the following:

11)Does hiFace work with all players?
If 1.00 driver is installed it only works with FooBar, a free player that can be downloaded
from Internet and must be installed together with its optional DLL to enable the operation in
Kernel Streaming mode. With the driver release 1.01 for Microsoft OSes it also works with
Winamp and Media Monkey, provided the plug-in for Kernel Streaming operation is
installed. iTunes will be used on Mac. With the driver release 1.02 every player can be
used, provided the Direct Sound mode is selected. This option, at the cost of a lesser
sound quality, allows for listening Internet streams using browsers.

12)Why, with old drivers, must I use FooBar instead of other players, such as
iTunes, Media Monkey or Windows Media Player?
With old drivers, hiFace only works in Kernel Streaming mode. Some player, like Windows
Media Player, only work in Direct Sound mode, which doesn’t allow to obtain the results
provided by the Kernel Streaming mode. Instead, with the driver release 1.02 hiFace also
works both in Direct Sound and Kernel Streaming mode. Thus, it is also suitable to
reproduce Windows sounds and game sounds, like any sound card.

13)How can I use hiFace in Direct Sound mode?
Just select it as system audio card: this way, every player will use it to play back music
files and streams. Instead, Kernel Streaming mode is only used when explicitly chosen by
the user, which select it for a specific player when configuring it (please check FooBar
configuration procedure indicated in the installation manual provided in the installation CDROM
or zip file for driver release 1.00).

Whether or not this means that you can use it with JRiver I don't know, as I do not understand much about all this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:44 am »

With the driver release 1.02 every player can be
used, provided the Direct Sound mode is selected. This option, at the cost of a lesser
sound quality, allows for listening Internet streams using browsers.
MC Playback Options include DirectSound, so that should work.

Ask them why they don't do WASAPI?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:06:27 am »

They recently released driver version 1.03 which specifically adds WASAPI support. It is on the m2tech website under downloads. The section on the website that you quote needs to be updated with the WASAPI information.

I am hoping that the memory option in MC14 along with HiFace using WASAPI will be a killer combination with support up to 192Kz/24bit with very low jitter.

From the website

Latest version: 1.03

Fixed bugs with 24 bits output format
Extended functionality to direct sound for Vista and Win 7
Added compatibility with WASAPI

http://www.m2tech.biz/download.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »

I got my HiFace today. It works fine with Direct Sound on a Windows 7 (Starter) system, up to 96 KHz/24bits, the limit of my DAC.

Unfortunately, it does not work with WASAPI. Output Mode recognizes the device. I selected it and tried both exclusive and nonexclusive modes and I did not get any sound out of the device. I am playing from memory but doubt that matters.

I am clearly new to WASAPI. Is there anything else I should check? It is the only device enabled on the system. I am also checking with M2Tech to see if they can help.

Running MC 14.0.151

Have 24 bit in 32 bit package option unchecked. Tried it both ways and neither worked.

Lizard_King

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »

I was able to configure MC 14 on a friends Windows & laptop running WASAPI and it worked great with my Hi-Face. Make sure you are using a proper coaxial cable. I use a true BNC 75 ohm cable so i loose no signal.

I use an older windows XP laptop so i use another application with a kernel streaming plug in.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:25 pm »

Thanks. The driver has only been out only a couple of weeks. Is that what you used on the Windows 7 laptop? Can you remember anything special you had to do? I will keep trying, although I am not sure what else to check. My one concern is that I have Windows 7 Starter. Hope they did not leave some part of WASAPI out of it.

I have a decent cable (RCA not BNC) and that is not the problem here, since it works with Direct Sound.

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »

Just got my Hiface today and I am also having problems with WASAPI, Hiface, and J River. I get a lock light on my Bryston DAC and I can watch the resolution switch between anything fom 44.1 to 192 depending upon the music being played. I have previously used a Musiland 01USD with WASAPI and J River successfully. I believe it is in the Hiface driver. I have emailed Marco at Hiface to see if he might have an answer. It also works perfectly in DirectShow, but I want WASAPI.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »

chasw98 - Similar to what I see. My DAC locks, but I get no sound. My DAC does not show the input freqency, so I do not see that. Since you have WASAPI working with the Musiland but not the HiFace, I have faith it is not just something I am doing wrong.  I also emailed Marco earlier and suggested he download the free trial of MC 14.  Hope he can figure out the problem. Direct Sound does sound good, but, like you, I want WASAPI. Not sure how Lizard_King got it to work. FYI - DAC is a Musical Fidelity A3 24, an older DAC, but one I like. It has worked with other USB to S/PDIF converters. I  doubt this issue is a function of the DAC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:02 am »

Could the firmware be different?

We'll provide a license to manufacturers of equipment if they need one.

Link70

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:30 am »

Hi all,

I have HiFace W7x64 WASAPI MC14 working:

The problem is in the hiface driver's version.
I have a prerelease driver that Marco emailed me before publishing the download, this version is 1.03.140 while the download version is 1.03.141.
I tried to update 1.03.140 to 1.03.141 but no sound out.
Restored the drivers to 1.03.140 and all work fine...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:47 am »

Here's a link to the hiFace product:
http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:54 am »

The 1.03.140 driver is also working for me. I now have full 96 KHz/24bit playing from memory with WASAPI, which was my goal.   CPU usage is around 5% on my little Netbook. J River MC and the M2Tech HiFace is a great combo.

I am sure they will update the online driver to fix whatever issue crept into the published version of the driver. Marco knows about the issue.

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:40:24 am »

The 1.03.140 driver is working quite well for me now. dtc sent me a copy of it as well as Marco at Hiface. Thanks for the help. I posted at Computer Audiophile and immediately got requests from 2 other users for the earlier driver also. It is definitely not a J River problem but a driver problem. I was also able to install ASIO4ALL and that worked just fine also, but I wanted the simplicity of WASAPI.

Chuck

Link70

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:01 am »

I'm happy to be usefull to so many people...  ;D

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 03:38:55 pm »

Using WASAPI with the 1.03.140 driver, the Pause button does not work for me. There is a brief pause then it just keeps going with the counter counting. I am playing from memory, but the same thing happens when not playing from memory. With Direct Sound, Pause works fine. Is this a hiFace specific issue or does it happen with other WASAPI interfaces? Anyone else see this?

Link70

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 11:38:23 am »

Hi dtc,

I have the pause issue too.
Marco know of this little trouble.

waiting for next drivers release...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 04:58:49 pm »

Thanks link70. I thought I was going crazy at first. Glad to know it is not just me.

Simon Chick

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:12:45 am »

I'm also very relieved to see this thread.

I have MC14 with Win 7, and use the Cyrus DAC XP.

I was only getting WASAPI output, spdif straight from the motherboard, at up to  96, after I started using MC instead of Media Monkey.

Got the HiFace and installed latest driver 1.0.3.141, and got no sound at all in WASAPI despite the DAC showing it was receiving the correct frequency of each file, all the way up to 192. It worked in Direct Sound and Wave Out but with terrible crackling.

I have switched to asio4all in the meantime and am getting bit perfect output, and it is generally very satisfactory. But I'm finding that above 96 it will sometimes play for up to say 30 seconds, but then the sound always disappears, even though all visual indicators are fine.

I am using a very high quality 75ohm connector. Initially I was using a high-ish end Monster cable 75ohm, which did essentially the same in this context.

Like the other posters, I just want hassle free 192/24 and all points on the way up to that, and I specifically bought the HiFace to achieve that.

I thought I was going mad. Now I just feel annoyed that we are still waiting for a driver which will deliver what the HiFace says it will do "44.1 to 192".

Hope it will be soon.

NAS > noiseless PC > Ayre QB-9 USB DAC > Ayre KX-R pre-amp > Ayre MX-R monoblocs > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Chord Sarum interconnects and speaker cables
Missing Link Opus, MCRU Ultimate and Transparent Reference Powerlink power cables
PS Audio P10 Power Plant. Sonority isolation platforms.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:22 am »

Got the HiFace and installed latest driver 1.0.3.141 ...
Did you try the 140 driver?

Simon Chick

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 09:32:42 am »

No, I haven't. I'd have thought M2tech ought to produce a better official driver pdq  ?

I may weaken soon though  ::)
NAS > noiseless PC > Ayre QB-9 USB DAC > Ayre KX-R pre-amp > Ayre MX-R monoblocs > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Chord Sarum interconnects and speaker cables
Missing Link Opus, MCRU Ultimate and Transparent Reference Powerlink power cables
PS Audio P10 Power Plant. Sonority isolation platforms.

sithodea

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:54 pm »

Hello all the world, I'm French. 8)
I possess JRMC14 and I utilise M2TECH Hiface.
To has present, me to use it with ASIO4ALL with no problem at all.
Since a few days, me try WASAPI but I meet a lot of problem.
You can indicate me your complete regulation, to read all the files possible (of 16/44 in 24/192).
In advance one thank you  :D!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »

Their latest driver (141) did not work.  Maybe there is a newer one, but 140 did.  Please read the posts above.

sithodea

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 03:54:38 pm »

Maybe there is a newer one, but 140 did

It's a good news but How to download the version "140". I've got the 141.

PLEASE HELP... :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 09:15:41 am »

Try a private message to one of the other users.  Or contact Hi-face.

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:10 am »

I wrote an email to info at m2tech biz and very fast got an reply from Marco at M2TECH.

In a email is M2TECH telling that a new driver with "minor error fixes" and also with fixes for MC15 is worked on. M2TECH has now a MC system running for tests.

Soundblastine

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 12:04:59 pm »

Hi
I've got issue with MC 15 and hiface in kernel streaming : windows XP stops responding and need to reboot.
It works fine in DS mode but I want bit perfect and  I think KS is done for that.
Tried ASIO4All, doesn't work, system hangs
In the options of MC I choose Output Mode : KS and output mode settings : Hiface Kernel Streaming. Correct ?
Bad driver installation ? I missed something ?
I tried with 1.02.139 and 1.03.141 driver, the same bug. I read that 1.03.140 could help.
Can someone please tell me how to get it, I'm turning mad and the hiface will finish in orbit
Thanks

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »

Hi
I've got issue with MC 15 and hiface in kernel streaming : windows XP stops responding and need to reboot.
It works fine in DS mode but I want bit perfect and  I think KS is done for that.
Tried ASIO4All, doesn't work, system hangs
In the options of MC I choose Output Mode : KS and output mode settings : Hiface Kernel Streaming. Correct ?
Bad driver installation ? I missed something ?
I tried with 1.02.139 and 1.03.141 driver, the same bug. I read that 1.03.140 could help.
Can someone please tell me how to get it, I'm turning mad and the hiface will finish in orbit
Thanks

The Driver 1.3.0.140 is working OK with JRiver.  Here is 1.3.0.140 version of beta driver.  ;D

http://www.playwares.com/xe/?module=file&act=procFileDownload&file_srl=12348791&sid=48d2e456758c86e287ef88cf0ffac06d

sithodea

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 02:17:39 am »

Hiface with WASAPI, what sound your regulation?

In WASAPI's option : Present 24-Bit data in a 32-bit package = checked or unchecked ?

DSP & Format : 16 bit ou 24 bit or 32 bit ?

sithodea

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:18 am »

Up.  8)

Can you answer my questions ?

M2TECH recommends, on FOOBAR, output format : 32bit.
But, J RIVER that don't works.
Do you know why?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:22 am »

I use Bitdepth set to Source Bitdepth and Sample Rate set to No Resampling. That way I do not have to make changes for 24/96 files. But that depends on the capability of your DAC.

Present 24 bit data in 32 bit package is not checked.

Open device for exclusive access is checked.

Buffering is set at .42 seconds.

You should be using the 1.03.140 driver.

I am still using MC 14, but it should work on MC 15 just as well.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 11:51:47 am »

I just updated to MC 15 (finally). The HiFace is working fine in WASAPI - Event mode. That allows the Hiface to draw the data from MC rather than have MC push it out. I have listened for several hours and it seems to work fine. I am still using the 140 driver, which I think is what M2Tech is using as their standard now. And, the problem with the pause not working that I had on MC 14 is gone. Pause works fine. Everything seems very stable at this point. Great progress. I also got a new Cary tube pre-amp so I am really enjoying the music.

torpedo_los

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 11:55:43 am »

Hi,
I moved this post to this thread as per JimH request:
-----------------------------------
I found that simply moving a mouse over the track list in Standard (or 3D) views often causes stuttering of playback in my Win 7 64bit / HiFace driver 1.0.3.140/ JRMC15 build 159 with WASAPI Event Style.

To illustrate this, I recorded a video using iPhone that can be accessed thru the URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhVAkB8vKQ
The quality of the video and sound is poor but the stuttering is quite audilble (after some 15 seconds).
I did not have to click anything, it is just moving the mouse that causes this. I move it quite fast in the video but it can be observed also at slower moves.

The hardware buffer was 50msec, using longer times seems improve the situation but stuttering also might be heard. I also have observed similar beaviour using KS.

This seems strange that moving mouse has anything to do with audio...
----------------------------------------------------
My System Info as requested by JimH is:
Media Center 15.0.159 Registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\

6.1  (Build 7600)
Intel Pentium III 1962 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2056 MB, Free - 905 MB[/i]
Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N    Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: [/i]
Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 12:47:53 pm »

The hardware buffer was 50msec, using longer times seems improve the situation but stuttering also might be heard. I also have observed similar beaviour using KS.

Some things to try:

1) Use a longer buffer size (250ms or 500ms)

2) Update your video driver

3) Try a different USB port
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kahandk

MC 15 often hangs when using kernel streaming with hiface
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 02:56:48 am »

Hello,

I have a problem with my system which often hangs. Sometimes it is enough to kill the MC15 process and start it again. In other situations I have to restart the computer.

I suspect that it is related to kernel streaming since I have not yet experienced the problem if I am using direct sound. I thought I had found a consistent way to reproduce the issue, but was not the case.

It primarily (only?) seems to happen when I play netradio steams. I mostly play the steams from this site:

http://www.dr.dk/netradio/wmp.asp

and use the "Høj" link. Mostly it plays just fine, but sometimes when I switch between the links it hangs completely. I added most of the links to a playlist which I manage from the theater view using an MCE remote. But it is the same if controlling it directly, i.e. without the remote.

My system:

Dell inspiron 94000
Window XP SP3 media center ed
M2Tech hiface, driver 1.0.3.140
MC 15 version 15.0.167

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Kim
Pages: [1]   Go Up