INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Restore User Settings (MC15) -- Upgrade or move settings between machines  (Read 8990 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Starting with Media Center 14.0.92 (10/28/2009), library backups contain user settings.

When restoring a library with Media Center 15, you can choose to restore:

Library -- media file library, playlists, views, columns, etc.
User settings -- most all settings configured in Options, zones, etc.

You can restore just a library, just user settings, or both.

The machine settings (installed plugins, their paths, and your license) are NOT restored.  The idea is to backup and restore user-based settings.

We currently recommend restarting the program after restoring settings.  We're still deciding whether we'll automatically restart the program or if it's technically feasible to reload _all_ settings while the program is running.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

We currently recommend restarting the program after restoring settings.  We're still deciding whether we'll automatically restart the program or if it's technically feasible to reload _all_ settings while the program is running.

My suggestion would be that until a restart is officially not required, at the end of a restore you should give the user a "Restart is recommended" popup box, with a button to "Restart Now."  This way they could opt to not restart if they didn't want to for any reason, but most users would simply select the "Restart Now" box.  At least nobody would be confused about what to do at that point.

Larry

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Couple of minor bugs in the upgrade:
1) TheaterView skin selected Acajou not Obsidian - The settings are correctly applied as Obsidian but when you got to Options--> TheaterView the drop down box has Acajou so it is then selected as your Theater View skin (boy these look "dated" compared to Obsidian)
2) Audio Output Mode selected ASIO not DirectSound (PC1) or WASAPI (PC2)

Edit - updated after 2nd install
JRiver CEO Elect

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

This worked pretty well today on 15.0.7 without physically restarting MC. If the zones could get backed up that would be awesome, but I understand why they don't yet with all the heavy duty stuff you guys have been doing at the hardware level and new features. It's been really great stuff in 14 and now going into 15. When do we get to send in the money and cake for 15? ;)
Thanks!

gappie

as jmone already pointed out the thv skin was pointing to the one in mc 14. the same seems to be true for themes (took me a while to find out why a images i added to a theme did not show up  :) ). but bisedes some small things it  works very nicely.

:)
gab

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i'm not finding where to save our settings? ive tried restore and all it does is bring me to library but it gives no choice for settings?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

also does this save our theaterviews as well?

gappie

i'm not finding where to save our settings? ive tried restore and all it does is bring me to library but it gives no choice for settings?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

also does this save our theaterviews as well?
the settings are saved in the library. open a back up file and you will find the files where it is saved in. restoring those settings is new in 15. and i can only say that for me the thv settings where restored very nicely (except what i said in the post above you).. just have a few days patience. this post comes from the beta forum where the first playarounds were done..

:)
gab

HTPC4ME

awww ok ty

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen

Selective restoration would be very useful. For example, I may want to restore only the smart playlists.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen

How exactly is this done ??

Im runing MC 14, and want to upgrade to MC 15.

I want all my settings and tags from pictures, music, and movies on MC 15, how can I be sure of all being correct in MC 15,
when upgrading.

Will MC 14 still be on my computer together with MC 15, or will MC 14 be overwriten with the install of MC 15. ? ? ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

How exactly is this done ?
1.  In MC14, make a backup.

2.  In MC15, restore from this backup.  Read carefully

MC14 and MC15 can co-exist.  No need to uninstall MC14.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Will MC 14 still be on my computer together with MC 15, or will MC 14 be overwriten with the install of MC 15 . ?

You will have both versions if you just install MC15. It does not alter your MC14 installation.

I want all my settings and tags from pictures, music, and movies on MC 15, how can I be sure of all being correct in MC 15, when upgrading.

Assuming you are going to use the old PC/OS instance and not move the media files anywhere, loading your library database and configuration options to MC15 is very simple:

1. Create a new library backup file in MC14: File > Library > Back Up Library...  Save the backup zip file to an easily accessible location.

2. Install MC15.

3. Restore the library backup file in MC15: File > Library > Restore...
Point it to the new backup file and tick both checkboxes if you want to restore also your set options.

EDIT

Jim posted while I was writing my reply.

EDIT 2

Install the latest MC14 build first if you are have not updated recently.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team

MC14 and MC15 can co-exist.  No need to uninstall MC14.
Indeed, and the 'experimental' settings restore option would appear to be working very well. Certainly, I could find no fault with it, and the majority of feedback has been positive. Even the plugins work in MC15...

But, if you are a bit OCD with regards to your HD tidiness like me, and choose to remove MC14, then you will find that your plugins will no longer work, and you may need a little tinkering to get them running again. It is by design, and sort of understandable, that plugin info is not ported by the 'restore settings' feature.

For most of mine, it was a simple case of reinstalling, though I had to copy the G-Force dll into MC15's viz'ns folder, then edit the registry with new path as the installer did not recognise MC15. Soundspectrum must be on top of this though, as the latest Whitecap installer is already equipped to recognise MC15.

I had to do a 'regsvr32' on int_audioscrobbler.dll to get the last.fm plugin up and running, and also needed this tip from Raldo to get PVDImport to turn up for work, as well as change it's 'mode' to 1 (always on): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56799.0

So, all in all, a pretty smooth upgrade path. Simply wonderful to launch into a new build cycle and have all my auto-import folders already configured, my iPod recognised and properly configured, along with all the other tweaks made over the past 10 months.

Good work on this one, hopefully, it'll lose it's 'expreimental' tag soon and become a permanent fixture.

-marko.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for the replyes, I will give it a shot.

rick.ca

For most of mine, it was a simple case of reinstalling, though I had to copy the G-Force dll into MC15's viz'ns folder, then edit the registry with new path as the installer did not recognise MC15.

I'm unable to get G-Force working. What is the key you edited? I thought I should find something at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14\Plugins\Display that I could clone to 15, but there's nothing. Maybe I lost something that was there by uninstalling G-Force. I did clone HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JRiver\Media Center 14\Plugins\Display\G-Force and set IVersion to 1. This caused G-Force to be recognized in Plugin Manager, but it's still not available on the display menu. :(

Update: Setting IVersion to 1 was the problem. Fixed by setting it to 2—like it was set in the key for MC14. I'm so happy I don't have to survive a long weekend without my electronic lava lamp! :D

HTPC4ME

GForce ROCKS!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

I've just upgraded 3 machins from MC14 to MC15.017 and used the library backup/restore on them all.

After doing the restore (and restarted MC) all my settings seemed to come over fine, except when I tried to play a ripped DVD I got the window come up with the DVD Playback Error window with the option of clicking to download the Intervideo DVD pack.  (And this was on all 3 machines)

DVD playback was working fine on all these machines prior to the upgrade.

So I went into the Video Options and for DVD files the renderer was set to Haali, changing this to EVR got playback working again.

I re-ran MC14 to check the original options and the DVD renderer was set to EVR, so it appears the settings aren't coming over perfectly yet, although I have to say this is a BIG step forward from previous upgrades!

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up