INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Cover View in MC15  (Read 15888 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Cover View in MC15
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
Re: New: Cover View in MC15
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »

Cover View is new in MC15.0.12.  It's nothing but covers.  In the view above, there are about 400 album covers.

The player controls appear only when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen (same as Display View).

Ctrl-5 gets you there.

For the picture above, I used "Customize View" to remove the album name text.

alaskatu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:41 pm »

I love the new Cover View function. It see really beautiful.
I have a suggestion, can you guys make that wen you reach the Left Display corner the Left browser Panel Appear and not the Up Panel.
I would like to have the Cover View like that.
Up Display corner = Up Panel Showing
Left Display corner = Left Panel Showing
Right Display corner = Right Panel Showing (wen you have two columns)

Thanks for the amazing work.
Alaskatu

kurushi

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:12:58 am »

yeah i love it too and the player automatically pop-up is great.Maybe u can do this too for the left panel i mean autohide feature!

Ok it seems that i need to buy it now :=) Good job guys.

Just a question do u plan to add feature for theater view? because i want to make a skin but i wait about a theater view more mature in the skinning feature.

Ok i go buy it now (more i use it, more i love this soft).

kurushi

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:54:37 am »

It seems ctrl+5 don't works for me i see only the diplay panel with a little bug (white background and window not centered)

gappie

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:01:55 am »

It seems ctrl+5 don't works for me i see only the diplay panel with a little bug (white background and window not centered)
i think you could call it an appetizer.  ;)
its from version MC15.0.12. that is not on this board yet.

:)
gab

kurushi

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:34 am »

Ok  ;D i am hungry now :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:42:38 am »

Time for breakfast.

kurushi

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:46 am »

Thx it was délicious really & the service wasn't too long  :)!It's perfect i think i 'll use intensively this view.
The only prob is for to have control on the buttons because the pop-up appear instantly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 08:41:31 am »

De rien.

You must use the Noire skin right now.  It has a smaller pop-up player control set.

This will all improve next week.

kurushi

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:51:09 am »

Thank you for improve it.
By the way here's a screenshot without the glass skin and witout too much album.
And a view with full détail really good with this featurei can view a huge choice of file like this. :p

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 11:48:26 am »

Good view!
Would be even better with grab and drag scrolling option for touchscreen users

gappie

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 06:35:16 am »

i really like it. dont use it as a 'cover view' but as a full screen option, very handy for inplace tagging, when linking internally to the internet etc.
two things i was thinking about.
when using a split view, i think it would be nice if it also collapses the other views, making the view you selected 'fullscreen'.
when the details are open, the splitter above the details goes down, would it not be nice when it stays on the same level, making both parts of the view bigger.

nice new feature..

gab

kurushi

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:16 am »

It would be great to have a pin for don't autohide the pop up player.
And we 'll can set the delay for autohide cause it 'll hard to press on the tab even with the glass skin.
It would be cool to have the choice for to have the player at the bottom.
Personnally i use Dekspace on 7 (virtual switching desktop application) and i take one desktop only for MC15 in cover view:D
Thx again for this coverview i like to play with it!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

And we 'll can set the delay for autohide cause it 'll hard to press on the tab even with the glass skin.
Try Noire.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

Good view!
Would be even better with grab and drag scrolling option for touchscreen users
You should be able to "flick" the screen up and down.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 02:46:21 pm »

The player controls appear only when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen (same as Display View).

I think, the player controls should appear only if user moves the mouse to the very edge  of the screen, not close to it.
On my laptop screen the controls appear when the mouse cursor is about 1.5cm from the top edge and block access to tabs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »

I think the player controls should appear only if user moves the mouse to the very edge  of the screen, not close to it.
We agree.  And only the top.

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »

You should be able to "flick" the screen up and down.

Its available only in 3D Wall mode (in standard and cover views) and theater view. But for not-3D views its always work as drag&drop copy

icehouse10

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 03:30:04 pm »

Any chance of cover view showing up in an update for MC 14??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:14 pm »

Any chance of cover view showing up in an update for MC 14??
No.  It's an MC15 feature.

kurushi

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »

Try Noire.
I have tried it  and the popup stay in place ;but is hiden when i click on the playlist.
Thats why a pin 'll be solve the prob & i 'll be able to choose my skin too.
about the tab i haven't noticed that they where clikable with the Noire skin (i 'll update the slimplayer of my skin).

ps the ability to have the player at the bottom would be really cool.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 04:11:21 pm »

We agree.  And only the top.
It means it will be fixed in the next build?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 04:21:45 pm »

It means it will be fixed in the next build?
Yes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Cover View in MC15
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:03 am »

Hmmm... I wish I could see something like Jim's example in Cover View.  But, I keep my Standard View schemes generally in Panes and Details mode, because I find that works best for my navigational style in Standard View.  Unfortunately, this means that every time I "cycle" into Cover View using F11, it just shows my Panes an Details, because that's the view I was on before.  Cover View would be a perfect opportunity to really be able to use the Genre, Artist, Album, Series, etc "tiles", but I don't like these view styles for my normal standard view schemes (mostly due to lack of screen real estate).

But then after cycling into Cover View it is too much work to either reconfigure the current view to switch to a different view (especially that since the tree is hidden on the left).

What I'm thinking is that the View Mode (Panes and Details, vs "Tiles") should really be able to be set independently for Standard View vs. Cover View.  I'd love it to work so I could set view settings for each of my common View Schemes so that they look and work how I want in Standard View, and then have those same View Schemes look and work differently (using Tiles and whatnot) for Cover View.  Perhaps in the options we could configure a set of View Settings once for Cover View, and then any View Scheme you open would be shown using those settings instead of the View Scheme's "standard" settings?  This would be ideal for my purposes.

Then the feature would be awesome.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »

What I'm thinking is that the View Mode (Panes and Details, vs "Tiles") should really be able to be set independently for Standard View vs. Cover View.

The feature is poorly named. Considering it does is what is more commonly called a "fullscreen view"—and it will do so for any view scheme—it makes more sense just to use a different view scheme. In other words, the "view mode" is independent of the Standard/Cover View choice. I like to view my main "Panes and Details" view in fullscreen at times—as "Panes and Details." I've got a secondary "drop-down Panes and Album covers" view that also works very nicely in fullscreen—if that's what I want. If an option is to be added, it should be a view scheme option for which view type to use when switching to the scheme: Standard, Fullscreen or unchanged.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 07:15:49 am »

The feature is poorly named. Considering it does is what is more commonly called a "fullscreen view"—and it will do so for any view scheme—it makes more sense just to use a different view scheme. In other words, the "view mode" is independent of the Standard/Cover View choice. I like to view my main "Panes and Details" view in fullscreen at times—as "Panes and Details." I've got a secondary "drop-down Panes and Album covers" view that also works very nicely in fullscreen—if that's what I want. If an option is to be added, it should be a view scheme option for which view type to use when switching to the scheme: Standard, Fullscreen or unchanged.

I'm not picky about how it is implemented.  I just need some way to specify that you want a view to look one way in Standard View and another, different, way in Cover View.  I'd personally be setting my Cover View settings to all the same "view mode" (tiles on top, list below) regardless of the View Scheme, so to me, it doesn't matter much if you can set it on a per-view scheme basis or just one "global" Cover View setting that applies to all view schemes.  I think the latter option would be simpler to configure, and would allow JRiver to define a nice preset that matches something like Jim's screenshot above (which would help novice users instantly understand the feature).  But either way would work for me!

Just as-is, where the Cover View is just a fullscreen version of the Standard View "right-hand" panel, isn't very useful for me.  If it'll be staying this way, I'd rather it be taken out of the F11 cycle (I use F11 extensively to switch modes with my remote control).

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:46 am »

What is the Restore button meant to do when in this view?
It seems to minimize to taskbar, and then you can't get it back without rightclicking on the taskbar button and selecting maximize.

The feature is poorly named
I'm completely baffled as to why it's called cover view - what has it got to do with covers?  It shows exactly the same as standard view, except in full screen mode.  Covers, names, tracks...

rick.ca

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 01:39:15 pm »

I think the latter option would be simpler to configure, and would allow JRiver to define a nice preset that matches something like Jim's screenshot above (which would help novice users instantly understand the feature).

This is what I have a problem with. Matching the screenshot is done with the existing Customize View, and has nothing to do with a fullscreen toggle which most users understand perfectly well from using other applications. Calling this feature something it's not is causing unnecessary confusion.

Just as-is, where the Cover View is just a fullscreen version of the Standard View "right-hand" panel, isn't very useful for me.  If it'll be staying this way, I'd rather it be taken out of the F11 cycle (I use F11 extensively to switch modes with my remote control).

Since this fullscreen toggle applies to any view scheme (and view schemes are already fully configurable), the only thing at issue is how the toggle in invoked. There's already a button for it (although it should not be restricted to media views). There's already a shortcut key (which doesn't work now, but I'm sure will be fixed soon). I agree it doesn't belong in the F11 cycle (because it's just a fullscreen toggle—not a different view!). I think a separate configurable view scheme cycler would be great. That would allow cycling any number of specific Standard View view schemes, each of which (by my previous suggestion) could be set to fullscreen or not.

rick.ca

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

What is the Restore button meant to do when in this view?

If you mean the new button with the four arrows pointing in or out, it's meant to (and does for me) simply toggle between regular and fullscreen.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:09 pm »

If you mean the new button with the four arrows pointing in or out, it's meant to (and does for me) simply toggle between regular and fullscreen.

Nope, I meant the maximize button on the player bar (that incidentally also screws things up when used in Display view as if you demaximise and then remaximise and then go back to Standard view it remains non-maximized).
However in Cover View it now seems to work as expected for me, seems an MC restart was needed.

In 'Cover View', you can switch tabs to get to whatever view you like, including Playing Now, but Playing Now doesn't have the four arrow button so you can't get into or out of it from there.

kurushi

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 02:03:30 pm »

I'm completely baffled as to why it's called cover view - what has it got to do with covers?  It shows exactly the same as standard view, except in full screen mode.  Covers, names, tracks...

You right why do not call it simply :Full screen view :)
Theater view is in full screen but is call Theater view so Full screen view 'll be ok.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »

A "full screen" view also "covers" the screen.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 02:18:30 pm »

I was using this in earnest today for tagging images, and very nice it was too.

I noticed that when touching the left edge, the tree fades in, minus the action window, and populates the full height of the screen...

How about an option that allows us to swap that tree for the tag window? A full height tag window... How good would that be? :)

-marko.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 03:16:14 pm »

A "full screen" view also "covers" the screen.

maybe but:
Cover View is new in MC15.0.12.  It's nothing but covers.  In the view above, there are about 400 album covers.

Somewhat misleading?  Until I actually got round to downloading it and trying it out today, I was really confused as to what it was meant to do that the standard view doesn't do already.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »

Until I actually got round to downloading it and trying it out today, I was really confused as to what it was meant to do that the standard view doesn't do already.
Well, now you're covered.  ;)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »

It's obvious.
It should be named
"The Cover view that isn't always covers and is kind of like full screen view but isn't always full screen, and isn't slim or mini or theater view; view."

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

Yeah.... If it is going to stay like it is, it should really come out of the F11 cycle.  It's just confusing.

kurushi

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »

Well anyway it's a nice view:D

MrHaugen

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 07:00:56 am »

I agree that the name is very misleading. Would it not be better to call it "Full screen view", "Border-less view" or something similar?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:07 am »

Aside from being in Theater View, "Showroom" is just like the "3-D View" except that we can no longer Zoom with the mouse wheel. Actually we lost the mouse wheel use completely and gained nothing in the way of customization.

I love the view, but with a large library there needs to be something else besides just "grab & drag" with the mouse.
Mouse wheel to travel through the library, or letters of the alphabet to drill down into the Artists more easily perhaps.
. . . the game is rigged

rick.ca

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »

It seems the developers can't win. Even if they give a view a perfectly descriptive name which clearly implies what is does and it's purpose, some will still ask that it do something completely different. A "showroom" is primarily meant for displaying things. In a car dealership showroom, for example, you can look at the cars—but you can't test drive them. The dealer will prefer you use the outdoor "Road View" for that purpose. Now it's possible some dealers may allow cars to be driven from the showroom out onto the road for test drives, but it can't be argued that's a necessity when perfectly good alternatives exist.

The other views in Theatre View are much better suited to navigating large libraries, and can still be configured to make generous use of cover art, if that's your preference. Although it's supported, the mouse is not the best input device for Theatre View. But that's beside the point. The view zooms automatically when a cover is selected—so it would seem the navigation has been improved and/or the wheel is redundant. It's like a car showroom where when you touch a car it automatically rotates and opens the driver's door for you! ;)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 03:52:25 pm »

How compatible is this with a touch screen monitor?  Theatre view was useless with touch screen.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 03:53:19 pm »

How compatible is this with a touch screen monitor?  Theatre view was useless with touch screen.
Did you try Theater View's Obsidian Touch Screen skin in MC14?

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 06:43:16 pm »

Rick,
I understand your point and it makes sense.

That being said, I find either the "Showroom" or the "3-D Wall" to be an excellent way for friends to easily browse my collection without knowing a thing about MC. Having a method to 'drill-down' or narrow the choices as they go is necessary with a large library, whether in "Showroom" or it's modified clone under another name.   :)
. . . the game is rigged

rick.ca

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:42 pm »

For those who can't figure out how to narrow choices in a properly configured regular view, adding the same capability to Showroom is only going to result in the same problem. If it's going to be useful for that purpose, it has to be significantly easier to use than the regular views. It's a shame only one Showroom can be used. Otherwise, you'd be able to offer multiple showrooms (e.g., Rock, Classical, Favourites) so your friends could make a clear choice from the menu, and then be in an easy-to-use showroom.

It would also be nice if the albums could be sorted. I'd put mine in random order—so the viewer could not possibly forget they were in a Showroom. ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 06:21:07 am »

If you use a skin that does not have a "Full Screen Player" image specified, such as Blue Steel, then when you go into cover view, the popup player bar at the top of the screen includes the search bar and top toolbar icons, which is nice and handy :)

This cover view feature is really, really good for image browsing using drop panes....

kurushi

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:15 am »

Thx marko for this other tips i have changed my 5 skins and now the coverview is more powerfull! 8)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 03:12:55 pm »

I just gave Cover View a try and was very pleasantly surprised. After seeing the screen shots my reaction was "meh...", but in use it's very slick. It's sort of like JRiver bought me a bigger monitor (at least while I'm using MC).

My only hangup is that when using two monitors, with MC on the right-hand monitor (which I have done since first installing MC12), getting the left-hand column bar to show can be a bit flaky. There seems to be a very small pixel width that when hovered over causes the bar to show. Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.
Obviously with a single monitor this isn't an issue since these pixels are all the way to the left, but when I can easily skim past them it takes a bit of aiming to get the bar to show. I'm not really sure of the best way to help this since there are obviously numerous usability issues with the mouse pointer, but this definitely takes away slickness points from an otherwise really slick feature.
Here's hoping JR sees this as something worth looking into.
-JB

gappie

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 10:56:28 am »

i think it would be nice if the cover view would also have a cover tooltip..  8)

gab
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up