INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA issue with Samsung LCD-TV  (Read 38442 times)

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
DLNA issue with Samsung LCD-TV
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:37:37 am »

I have a Samsung LCD-TV 650 series (LE37B650) with DLNA support.
Now I want to use MC as media server. I see the correct folder structure and I can play music. But I cannot display pictures. I can see the pictures (filenames) on my TV but I don't see thumbnails. When I check "Shrink large images" in the MC network options, thumbnails are shown on my TV but when I select a picture and press OK on my TV remote, the TV says "Not support filetype". But my TV can display jpeg and bmp.
When I use the Windows Media Player as media server for DLNA I can listen to music, can display pictures and play videos (also with the Samsung PC-Share Manager, a media server from Samsung).
What can I do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA issue with Samsung LCD-TV
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:48:10 am »

There are a couple other people having trouble with Samsung TV's.  I think you'll find them on the Hardware board here.

I did a little looking around and I believe that Samsung's DLNA is not "standard".  It seems to work with their software but not with most other software.

Eventually, I hope we can support these.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:37 am »

What build are you using? There was an image problem that was fixed in 14.0.156.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:55 am »

I use the current MC 15 Build 10.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »

Try the new 15.0.14 and see if that makes any difference.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:30 am »

There is no Build 14. I tried the Build 13, but nothing changes. Only playing music works, but no pictures and videos.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:59:16 pm »

I tried Build 15, but nothing changed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »

Hmmm, I'm kind of running out of ideas.
Can you try creating a DNLA server, then in advanced options unclicking the DLNA support box and rename it to generic UPnP. Browse to that server from the TV and see if images or video works? What this essentially does is remove the DLNA flags from the content directory so if the Samsung is not liking one of the flags it won't have to deal with it. A lot of DLNA devices will accept simple UPnP data without the DLNA flags.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:27:05 am »

I've made some changes in the next build of 15 (this will be 15.0.17 or greater) after doing much searching for the differences with the Samsung tv's.
Under advanced options in the DLNA options, turn on DLNAExtra.
Report back please.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:11 pm »

Can you try creating a DNLA server, then in advanced options unclicking the DLNA support box and rename it to generic UPnP. Browse to that server from the TV and see if images or video works? What this essentially does is remove the DLNA flags from the content directory so if the Samsung is not liking one of the flags it won't have to deal with it.

It tried it. But nothing changed.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:00:39 pm »

I've made some changes in the next build of 15 (this will be 15.0.17 or greater) after doing much searching for the differences with the Samsung tv's.
Under advanced options in the DLNA options, turn on DLNAExtra.
Report back please.
I tried the new option and it worked with a special configuration:

The red options must be set a seen on the screenshot. The blue options does not matter weather they are turned on or off.
I have to turn off "Shrink large images" to display all my pictures, but then I don't see thumbnails on my TV. When I turn on this option the same message as described in the first post of this thread appears.
I also can play videos but only .mpg and .mp4. No divx-avis (my TV can play AVI-container files with divx and xvid videos) and no mkvs. The "Convert Video" option does not work.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 02:28:51 am »

I tried the new option and it worked with a special configuration:

The red options must be set a seen on the screenshot. The blue options does not matter weather they are turned on or off.
I have to turn off "Shrink large images" to display all my pictures, but then I don't see thumbnails on my TV. When I turn on this option the same message as described in the first post of this thread appears.
I also can play videos but only .mpg and .mp4. No divx-avis (my TV can play AVI-container files with divx and xvid videos) and no mkvs. The "Convert Video" option does not work.
Yea, progress!
Let's forget conversion to start with (in other words, it should be turned off. For audio, "never convert", and the checkboxes off for shrink images and convert video).

Audio plays?
Images work with image support turned OFF?? (but no thumbs).
Video works with mpeg2 and mpeg4?
Nothing worked before, Correct??

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:05:08 am »

Audio plays?
Images work with image support turned OFF?? (but no thumbs).
Video works with mpeg2 and mpeg4?
Nothing worked before, Correct??

Yes, that's right.
Only if the option "DLNAExtra" is on I can play music (mp3), view pictures (.jpg) but with no thumbnails and I can play videos (only .mpg (MPEG2) and .mp4).
In an earlier version (don't know wich build) I only could play music-files (MP3). But viewing pictures and videos is working since this "DNLAExtra" option and now I only can play music when this option is on.
I noticed that I see thumbnails for small pictures (smaller and equal 640x480). Only bigger pictures e.g. from a digital camera have no thumbnails (but I can view them in full size on my TV).

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:07:08 am »

Great work guys :).  I can now also view images and play most of my music.  As above, the thumbnails only appear for small images and embedded cover art in MP3 files.  I also can only play back mpg video's.  As most of my movies are in DivX, XVid, AVI format I am still anxious to get this one over the line.

I will play around with some of the setting over the coming days and hope to identify exactly what plays and what doesn't. 

Thanks for your efforts.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:39 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the time being, let's keep conversion off. I have some ideas on that but would like to get everything else working properly first.

There are a few tests I need feedback on. Only change one of these at a time and you may have to power cycle your TV (or at least go back to the root menu) to get consistent results.

1) I'd like to know the effect of the regular DLNA checkbox. Test each of a working sound, image and video file with that option on and off, leaving DLNAExtra on for both tests. Report results please!

2) FYI, thumbnails are sent with all files that have them. There really should be no difference between the thumbs for mp3's and jpg's unless the TV is ignoring the sent thumbs and trying to build one from the image file.
I'd like to know exactly what the difference is between having image support turned on and off. Display some images with the images support checkbox off AND on. Make sure image conversion is off. Report results please (do images work with the image support flag on and off? Thumbs the same behavior both ways?).

3) Finally, for video. Does your manual specify the formats supported by the TV? It would be really helpful to know this.

Thanks!
Bob

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:31:32 am »

Bob,

I will get the test results you are after soon,  hopefully over the weekend I will get a chance to do some testing.

I have noticed that I am unable to pause/resume any video file playback (play and stop are the only controls that work).  This works with Music files but not with video.   any ideas?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 10:15:50 am »

Bob,

I will get the test results you are after soon,  hopefully over the weekend I will get a chance to do some testing.

I have noticed that I am unable to pause/resume any video file playback (play and stop are the only controls that work).  This works with Music files but not with video.   any ideas?
Thanks...

And for playback, if conversion is off, you should be able to pause/resume.

Also, I'm hoping that the most recent build will change the behavior with your avi's.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 10:44:15 am »

I tested DLNA again with Build 28. Now I can play mkv-files (H.264 Video + AC3 Audio). But still no avis (divx) and now I cannot playback MPEG2.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:21 am »

I tested DLNA again with Build 28. Now I can play mkv-files (H.264 Video + AC3 Audio). But still no avis (divx) and now I cannot playback MPEG2.
On the server, test with and without conversion set for video.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 10:47:44 am »

On the server, test with and without conversion set for video.

I test only without conversion.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 08:46:07 am »

Interesting...  I'll check into the mpeg2. Have you used the avi's with another server sucessfully?

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:23 am »

Interesting...  I'll check into the mpeg2. Have you used the avi's with another server sucessfully?
I can playback all my dixv-avis, mpg2 and mp4 files with Windows Media Player Streaming and with the original Samsung PC-Share Manager.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:34 pm »

Ok, next build (29) will have another change. Let me know when you get a chance... Thanks...

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:28 am »

Great job! With Build 29 I can play all my video-files.
Tested .avi (divx), .mpg (mpeg2), .mp4, .mkv (H.246).

But still no thumbnails for big jpegs and videos.

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »

Where can I get build 29 from?  only Build 28 is available for download

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 03:46:52 am »

Since Build 33 I have thumbnails for all Pictures and Videos on my Samsung LCD-TV. Great job.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

Since Build 33 I have thumbnails for all Pictures and Videos on my Samsung LCD-TV. Great job.
Yea!
Now we can cautiously check conversion. Images first. They should JUST WORK. (choose the shrink large images checkbox, it makes a standard DLNA JPEG size and converts all images to JPEG at the same time).

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »

Now we can cautiously check conversion.
When I check "Shrink large images" I cannot display any image (not supported fileformat).
The Option "convert video" works (I can play all my videos weather the option is on or off).
Convert audio does not work (TV hangs).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 08:42:01 am »

When I check "Shrink large images" I cannot display any image (not supported fileformat).
Wow, that make absolutely no sense.
The Option "convert video" works (I can play all my videos weather the option is on or off).
That's good, it appears the TV can play lots of video types.
Convert audio does not work (TV hangs).
Which encoder is selected? Try BOTH uncompressed wave and mp3.

Thanks...

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 07:19:48 am »

I tested it with build 37 again: the same result. No image playback with "Shrink large images" on and no music playback with conversion turned on (only tested mp3, my TV only plays mp3 and no wav).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 08:52:06 am »

It would appear the the TV doesn't allow transcoded files via DLNA. When a file is to be transcoded there are DLNA flags set that tell the renderer that the file is being transcoded and is not seekable. There are some changes in the pipeline that will try to present transcoded streams as non-transcoded files but it's not ready for prime time quite yet.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 08:54:53 am »

I noticed (when I read that the file is not seekable): when I use MC as Media Server I cannot seek in video-files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »

You should be able to seek in video files as long as the video conversion box is not checked.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:27 am »

To Build 38: now I can listen to music when "always convert" (MP3) is turned on.
But I still can't view pictures with "shrink large images" turned on.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 04:50:32 pm »

To Build 38: now I can listen to music when "always convert" (MP3) is turned on.
But I still can't view pictures with "shrink large images" turned on.
This MAY be better for your device in the next build. Also there will be some control over the image size when converting.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 11:57:40 am »

Now I tested Build 44: same problems with "Shrink larges Images" turned on (TV says: unknown filetype) and in this build audio playback with conversion tunred on is not possible.
Conversion with videos is working well.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:29 am »

Hmmm,

For the audio, can you try:
Always convert
and mp3 for the encoder and 44100 as the bitrate.

Thanks...

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 11:18:07 am »

Hmmm,

For the audio, can you try:
Always convert
and mp3 for the encoder and 44100 as the bitrate.

Thanks...

Sorry, but the same. When I set "never covert" it works.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:20 pm »

Sorry, but the same. When I set "never covert" it works.
Weird, for mp3 anyway it REALLY shouldn't be able to tell the difference between converted and unconverted. I'll do some more checking...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:20 am »

Can you try 15.0.46? It should fix the mp3 problem.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »

It works with Build 47. The TV takes a bit more time to start the playback but it works.

"Shrink larges Images" still doesn't work.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »

It works with Build 47. The TV takes a bit more time to start the playback but it works.

"Shrink larges Images" still doesn't work.
Thanks for the reply.

The "shrink large images" problem may be a tougher nut to crack since it seems the TV wants file size in the content directory and we don't know that yet since it hasn't been converted at that time.

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 08:34:24 am »

Good to know that your video files are now working. It seems that you have a problem with the version of your software. My Thumbnail setting is working when I display pictures.

My last post was month ago. But everything is already working for some time.

audunth

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »

Hey guys.

Is the DLNA server working satisfactory with Samsung's 2010 TVs now? I'm considering a Samsung for my bedroom which is a 20 meter cable away from my main room, so I want to make sure I'll have access to my library of mostly mkv, mp3 and ape files (mkv being the most important) through an Ethernet cable. If it doesn't work, I might have to consider another brand, since for the cost of another computer to run MC (or a long enough HDMI cable or working HDMI over Ethernet converter), I would rather get a better TV.

As I understand Samsung has made some changes to the DLNA client in the new lineup compared to the 2009 models, so I don't know if that makes it harder or easier? You guys have new or last year's TVs?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Visth

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »

B650 samsung.

DLNA movies playing. Can't seek, or fast forward.

I am sure I am not using the correct settings. Has anyone figured it out for this TV?

audunth

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:26 am »

Is that a 2010 model tv? Which formats does it play, and can you pause the video? What about if you stop in the middle, does it resume where you left off or do you have to watch the video from the beginning?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

audunth

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »

Bump...any news here? I see there's been a lot of DLNA changes/fixes in the last builds, does it work okay with the 2010 Samsung line now?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 12:26:56 pm »

In general, all of the seeking functions work IF the file is not being transcoded.

If the file is being transcoded (not supported in it's native format by the TV)  then the choices are mp2 streaming which usually cannot be seeked on (this depends a bit on the renderer, some renderers (TV in your case) allow pause and restart from where it left off).

If you use the transcoding to mp4 (if your TV supports MP4), then the all of the functions will work however you'll have to wait until the transcoding finishes before starting the movie.

audunth

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:47 am »

Sounds good, just bought a Samsung UE32C8000, will set it up and try it out when I get home from work next week.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

dlnanewie

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:10 am »

Hi Bob,

I have a Samsung 55C6400. When i try to stream images or videos from MC in my PC to TV i get an error message
"There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double-check your device, server, and network settings."

I think i tried all the options suggested in this thread without success.

Somebody at JRiver in this forum mentioned that there are some issues with DLNA implementation by Samsung TVs. I still have the choice to return this TV and buy a Sony Bravia (if there are such problems with Samsung's DLNA)

However, I have also Twonky server in my PC, and i have no problem dragging and dropping videos (ie: from youtube) or audio to the TV. I like better the way MC is designed and its features and it will be nice to have it working with my Samsung.
I'll very much appreciate your comments.
Thanks

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up