INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Lookup Movie Info From Wikipedia (MC15)  (Read 9783 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: Lookup Movie Info From Wikipedia (MC15)
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »

When you insert a DVD now, or view a ripped DVD file, you can right click on it and choose "Lookup Movie Info From Wikipedia".

Here's what you'll see:

Don't forget to donate to Wikipedia!

JimH

• Administrator
Re: NEW: Lookup Movie Info From Wikipedia (MC15)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:23:28 pm »

And these fields were just added:

NEW: Added several stock fields for videos: Gross Revenue, Budget, Cinematographer, Editor, Distributor, Prequel, Sequel, Music By, Language.

Expect to see this metadata available in several places soon.

If you try getting Wikipedia data, do just a file or two for now.  The cover art we're getting is low resolution.  We  expect to change this.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:21 pm »

My feedback from the build 16 thread:

Wikipedia lookups are fantastic. Could do with some fuzzier search ability though. For example, it didnt find "The Assasination of Richard Nixon" for me because "the" was missing from the name of my video file. Also, it couldn't find "W" or "W." but for some reason was able to find all of Oliver Stone's films when I searched for Oliver Stone, and so I was eventually able to find it.

I wonder if you could put the articles that contain the string "(film)" in the title, at the top of the suggestions list. Often I had to scroll down the list to find the right entry, and it seems to be a wikipedia convention to use (film) in article titles to denote movies.

I guess the next stage is being able to apply this tool to multiple movies simultaneously. Something like the cover art lookup tool does now.

One request I have is that we be able to choose which metadata we want to get applied to the movies. For example, I have already spent hours of my time finding the right movie posters for most of my movies, so it would be nice to be able to uncheck the "cover art" from some of my searches.

)p(

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:57:22 am »

Excellent!

+1 for some fuzzier search.

One addtional suggestion. Almost all movie wiki entries contain a link to their imdb page in the links section. I would love this link to be added into our library as well with this feature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »

I don't think the current dialog makes it obvious, but you can change the search at the top and it'll rerun its search.

So you should be able to try different / fuzzier searches as needed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:58:11 pm »

Regarding the information displayed when you click on a movie (i.e. the new popup). Very good new feature.

Is there some control over what is displayed?

In my case, I have spent a reasonable amount of time getting all the artwork and correct lookups in PVD and pvdimport has brought all of this into MC and data is saved in the sidecar files.

For example, I would like to see the IMDb (or other) ratings, MPAA rating and description fields I have populated and exist in the sidecar files?  A dialog similar to the tag display in the lower left window where you can choose what fields you want displayed would be good.

I have noticed that on many films, the actors list, for example,  is very extensive (+20 lines) and fills the display window you have.  Limiting this to 5 or so lines would be sufficient for most users, and allow us to see the rest of the information available.

It would be nice if the display window was scrollable for those cases where the lists/information are very long.

Anyways, great feature, can't wait to see what you come up with for TV series.

Craig

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:11 am »

I don't think the current dialog makes it obvious, but you can change the search at the top and it'll rerun its search.

Your right - I got that you could change it but I kept pressing "Enter" after I'd made my changes which just closed the Dialog Box (works fine if you just wait post typing)

I really like the inclusion of this feature and it now lets users tag their Video files, well done!  Couple of suggestions:
1) As ISO are imported as DATA you first need to tag these up correctly (as Video) to get the option to appear
2) It would be nice if the "Name" metadata was updated to reflect that pulled from Wikipedia over the filename

Thanks
Nathan

PS - In deciding on how to best tag a Video file it now gets down to personal preference on what tool to use (either this new inbuilt feature) or one of the 3rd party tools.  I'm still a fan of alaskatu's "MoviesSeriesInfos Automation" as it currently gives as it gives:
1) Choice of Coverart (including Blu-ray versions etc) and they are higher resolutions than Wikipedia
2) I don't have to tag the files as much once MSI brings it in (Auto names, changes ISO to Video...)
JRiver CEO Elect

)p(

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:14:59 am »

2) It would be nice if the "Name" metadata was updated to reflect that pulled from Wikipedia over the filename

If so, then please make this optional. When you search a foreign movie...I want to keep the original name...from what I have seen so far the wikipedia entry often uses the english name for the name tag.

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My middle name is MEDIA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:11 pm »

Not sure if I'll upgrade to 15 but this new feature did caught my attention. So, I have a question on that? This feature works on a manual basis on clicking and lookup for each movie or if I have a drive with let's say 200 movies and I import, will the lookup works automatically while the drive is scanned?
My Music collection runs 24/7; I threw away the Stop button.

johnnyboy

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »

Love the feature,
Any chance of making it so it'll do a lookup on ANY site that would automatically provide the Plot and Genre for the films?
These are the only things I'm really that bothered about as I'd love them for sorting and it doing it automatically for me is far preferred to having to manually do it for each of hundreds of films.

Thanks

gappie

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:00:35 am »

this is a nice new feature. could it be possible to add the dimensions of the coverart. the only way to find out now if it is good enough, is to import all the covers.

thanks
 :)
gab

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:25 pm »

this is a nice new feature. could it be possible to add the dimensions of the coverart. the only way to find out now if it is good enough, is to import all the covers.

thanks
gab

Or do the magnify thing that the cover art tool does?

Britinva

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »

Nice feature

Be good if other online sources were available like themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com

Also ability to select different aspect images...... one problem I have is that the Samsung DLNA Renderer on their Blu-ray players uses a 16:9 image so a DVD cover would not work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »

Also ability to select different aspect images...... one problem I have is that the Samsung DLNA Renderer on their Blu-ray players uses a 16:9 image so a DVD cover would not work.
It still should work.

Britinva

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

It still should work.

Problem is that the Samsung BR Renderer squishes the DVD cover it a 16:9 thumnail image

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:05 am »

Thanks for the screen shot.

Is it cropping the image a little and stretching it, or just stretching it, or what?

We could add an option to always pad or crop images to a certain aspect ratio, although I'm surprised the device itself isn't doing this as needed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Britinva

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:27 pm »

Thanks for the screen shot.

Is it cropping the image a little and stretching it, or just stretching it, or what?

We could add an option to always pad or crop images to a certain aspect ratio, although I'm surprised the device itself isn't doing this as needed.

Yeah - either stretching the witdth or squishing the height.

I'm not sure if this is just limited to Samsung Blu-ray players or all Samsung DLNA devices.

Would be good to have an option to pad the image when required. Problem is Samsung use a CD cover thumbnail for Audio and a 16:9 thumbnail for movies.

[EDIT] BTW I'm assuming that the player will squish/stretch the images based on what it does with other DLNA servers. So far movie thumbnail images are not being displayed when used with MC (only Audio).

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 09:52:46 pm »

I missed this one! Seems to work quite well... I would like to be able to decide which fields I want updated though, as some of us get info from other sources. A complete field mapping option probably isn't necessary, but at least a "Update the following fields" setting would be nice, as I plan to use pvdimport for some of these fields.

I hope this a sign of more to come - IMDb, themovieDb, theTVDb and allmovies are all great sources (and the first three are open access). Many HTPC programs are making use of the themovieDb & theTVDb APIs now. The info generally isn't as complete as IMDb or AMG, but they are rapidly growing and have a great selection of covers, backgrounds and banners. Integration of these backgrounds & banners in theatre view would be a dream come true.

Nice work.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:11 am »

It would be nice if there was an option to download movie data automatically on media insertion. It looks nice especially in Theater View's PN but of course it's a manual action right now. Also, the system would need to be a little smarter about title names if it was to attempt this automatically and with no user interaction required. For example, I popped in the DVD movie "Year One" yesterday but because the DVD title was actually "Year One Rated" (for whatever reason) none of the default matches even came close to the actual movie title. 

A great feature none-the-less!

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 06:54:57 am »

I missed this one! Seems to work quite well... I would like to be able to decide which fields I want updated though, as some of us get info from other sources. A complete field mapping option probably isn't necessary, but at least a "Update the following fields" setting would be nice, as I plan to use pvdimport for some of these fields.

I hope this a sign of more to come - IMDb, themovieDb, theTVDb and allmovies are all great sources (and the first three are open access). Many HTPC programs are making use of the themovieDb & theTVDb APIs now. The info generally isn't as complete as IMDb or AMG, but they are rapidly growing and have a great selection of covers, backgrounds and banners. Integration of these backgrounds & banners in theatre view would be a dream come true.
Thanks.  Yammm is also there now.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »

Is there any way to make this lookup automatic? Or at the very least, a way to access it in Theater View?

Thanks!

gappie

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:44:01 pm »

a way to access it in Theater View?

Thanks!
would be sweet wouldn't it

gab

marino

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:43 am »

It would be nice if you could choose with different language from English wikipedia (I'm Italian and I'd like http://it.wikipedia.org)

thanks,
Marino

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:29 am »

It would be nice if you could choose with different language from English wikipedia (I'm Italian and I'd like http://it.wikipedia.org)

thanks,
Marino

We may do this.  We just did something similar for a different player.  Please remind us in a few weeks.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 08:48:24 am »

We may do this.  We just did something similar for a different player.  Please remind us in a few weeks.

Portuguese (Brazil), too!!!

Please.

Thanks

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 01:56:13 am »

Been using this feature for a while this weekend. It's pretty useful but a little laborious if you're indexing a full library.

I don't know if there are licensing or programming issues, but it seems like IMDb would be a better fit than Wikipedia. Not all movies have Wikipedia entries. Everything has an IMDb entry. That would also cut down on the non-film-related results in the Wiki searches.

Maybe a choice of either data feed would be a good option?

UPDATE:

I've been using this some more and finding a lot of movies that either aren't in Wikipedia, or that the search refuses to find.

Examples (please don't judge my taste in movies!):

Have a file called "Four Weddings and a Funeral". Search for the full title comes up with entries for nearly every cast and crew member, the movie Notting Hill (and a lot of stuff about popes??), but not the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral. So I try searching for "Hugh Grant Four Weddings". Again, no match for the movie. However, it is the first result on "Andie MacDowell Four Weddings." Go figure.

The Friday the Thirteenth movies also mess up the search. Can't find Parts 2 or 5 no matter what I search for. The other parts, so far, have all been found but are very low in the search results with lots of non-movie related results popping up before them.

Or take a TV special, like the live concert performance of the musical Chess, which aired on PBS a few years ago. I wouldn'et expect there to be a wiki entry for this, but IMDb will have it for sure.

Another advantage that accessing the IMDB database would have is potential for more thorough field mapping, which will probably come in extra handy when I get around to tagging TV series. I think I've seen some open source software that interacts with IMDB, so I'm pretty sure it's possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up