INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop-outs, clicks and pops [solved]  (Read 5578 times)

drewh111

• Recent member
Drop-outs, clicks and pops [solved]
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »

[Edit by JimH -- solution is in the 7th post]

I was having problems  running in Theater mode with my old laptop, so I bought a new desktop computer.  Now I have a bunch of problems with intermitent drop-outs, and clicking in a kind of rythmn.

I am running MC15 latest beta version, on Windows 7 64 bit with to ASIO interface for EMU 0404. This works great for a while, sometimes up to a couple of hours but eventually, sometimes quickly results in drop-outs and then a popping starts (in a sort of rythmn). It seems to go away for awhile and then come back. Performance monitor indicates CPU at about 31% running theater view but sometimes it is locked on 100% with no visible process showing any CPU usage (a bug in the performance program?). Buffer setting does not seem to affect it. It also seems to occur whether or not in theater mode although I haven't totally confirmed that yet.

I am not running any other programs, not even the the network adaptor. I thought at first it might be that.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated. It is so frustrating to be enjoying music (and it sounds great) and have this clicking start.

thanks.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help - This is really frustrating! - Drop-outs, clicks and pops.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:44:04 am »

Is this the USB or PCI 0404?   SPDIF or analogue outputs?

Have you tried the onboard sound (if you have one) to see if that clicks?

What about WASAPI?

Richard

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »

I have a USB 0404 with balanced outputs into an Ayre Amplifier. This is the same setup I used on my XP computer. The only time I had problems with that was when I tried to run some other process.

I tried WASAPI, didn't work at all, won't play anything (Setup?). DirectSound had the same problem as running ASIO with clicks and dropouts.

It must be some conflict with a process running, I have a 3d party wireless card and am trying to see if that is causing the problem -

Is there a way to allocate priority in Windows 7 to the application?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

drewh111

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:19 pm »

I have narrowed this down to a problem when I am running the wireless connection. I cannot run a wireless network card and MC at the same time. I would appreciate just having some ideas so I can work around this, either with another wireless card or with the built in LAN. I would like to have network connection and music at the same time!

IN your opinion, is this a problem with the SW driver for the wireless card or a performance issue with the computer (it is a brand new computer)?

Thanks for all your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:07 pm »

Check the topic in my signature called "Weird problems".  There are a couple of network related sound problems in it.

It's probably solveable.  Try a google search, too.

I wouldn't rule out interference from a microwave or phone.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:30 am »

I have narrowed this down to a problem when I am running the wireless connection. I cannot run a wireless network card and MC at the same time. I would appreciate just having some ideas so I can work around this, either with another wireless card or with the built in LAN. I would like to have network connection and music at the same time!

IN your opinion, is this a problem with the SW driver for the wireless card or a performance issue with the computer (it is a brand new computer)?

Thanks for all your help.
It sounds to me (an old driver hacker) that interrupts are masked in a driver interrupt routine and the sound card is losing an interrupt and not recovering. Usually that would be considered to be a driver bug. It could also be that rf from the wireless or other rf devices is leaking into the audio chain.

drewh111

• Recent member
Problem discovered - thanks guys for great support and great software!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »

I looked into this more and found that the driver for the Wireless card was just not working properly and causing glitches in the whole computer, not just MC 15 - I will try another network card.

Once I removed uninstalled the driver and card, everything works perfectly again.

I want you to know how much I like this software and really appreciate that this support forum exists. I am a very loyal customer when I find products and companies that I like and I am now a fan of JRiver!

Thanks guys

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:21:40 pm »

99% of "weird" problems are normally driver related....
Pages: [1]   Go Up