INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC files changed to wma when copied  (Read 3920 times)

citygrill

• Recent member
FLAC files changed to wma when copied
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »

Not sure what happened.  I ripped all my Cd's to flac using Jukebox 12.  Then I needed to move my library from my desktop to a laptop.  Downloaded MJ to the laptop then I used an external usb hard drive and just dragged and dropped the music folders from the desktop to the usb drive, then to the laptop.  When I went to play MJ on the laptop, all of the music files are now wma. Anyone know what happened.  I want to use flac files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FLAC files changed to wma when copied
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:10:32 pm »

I don't think you ripped to FLAC.  Just set it in the options for encoding.

citygrill

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

I am sure I ripped to flac.  I just checked the songs on my desktop.  I'm looking at the files in album view in MJ.  All of the File Type column entries say flac for all of my albums and songs.  When I look at the file type on my laptop in the same MJ view of albums they all say wma in that column.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »

How did you copy the files? Inside or outside MJ12?

MJ12 does not convert files if you just dragged & dropped the folders in its "Drives & Directories" tree branch. If you used the "Sync Handheld" feature it may have converted the files if it was set to use conversion.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

citygrill

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:18:48 pm »

MJ was closed.  I was in Windows Explorer using the drag and drop feature.  I highlighted all of the album folders in the folder tree of the desktop and dragged them over to the usb hard drive tree, then selected "copy here".  Then plugged the usb hard drive into the laptop and used the same procedure from the usb hard drive to the laptop tree.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

What does Windows Explorer say about the files? Are they flac or wma?

Inside MJ12 you can verify the format by selecting a file and going to Action Window > Tag > Format (click the topmost format line to show detailed information).

If MJ12 shows wrong format information something very odd has happened. MJ12 doesn't automatically convert imported files. In any case it would have been be a slow CPU intensive task and you should have noticed if it happened.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

citygrill

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »

Format says "Unknown Compression" but File Type says "flac".  If I run my mouse pointer over a song title, a window shows up with the album cover art and the name of the song followed by .flac.  I'm just starting out at this, but wanted to go with an uncompressed format.  I wonder if my files have all been compressed.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:39 pm »

So the files seem to be in FLAC format after all. Where exactly did you see "wma"?

For comparison, here are few screenshots:

FLAC

1. A FLAC file selected, Action Window > Tag

2. Action Window after "clicking for detailed format info":

WMA

1. A WMA version of the above file selected (converted using the default conversion settings):

2. Action Window after "clicking for detailed format info":

Are you seeing one of the above or something different?

citygrill

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Thanks for the help, Alex B.   Per your instructions yesterday and just to make sure, I again looked at a bunch of files on the desktop. They are all FLAC files.  I ripped my whole cd collection on the desktop to FLAC.  Using Windows Explorer, I dragged and dropped the album folders containing the FLAC files to a USB hard drive. Then  again using Windows Explorer, I dragged and dropped my album folders containing the FLAC files from the USB hard drive onto my laptop. I imported the files into a fresh download of MJ. Per your instructions above, I just looked at a bunch of files on the laptop.  They are all WMA files.  I just looked at a bunch of the files on the USB hard drive.  They are WMA.  It looks like something happened during the drag and drop process. Its probably outside MJ and thus is not appropriate for this forum.  I'll try to copy the FLAC files over to the laptop another way.  Thanks for helping.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

So could some other program do the conversion as a background process? Perhaps you could switch it off.

Alternatively you can copy folders inside MJ12:
1. Browse to the "Drives & Devices > My Computer > ..." branch in the selection tree on the left.
2. Select the folder on your hard drive and drag & drop it to your USB drive (it should appear as a separate drive in the tree).
Test the procedure with a small folder first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up