INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for iPhone Playlist Sync  (Read 38775 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Support for iPhone Playlist Sync
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:54 am »

This feature was introduced in MC15.0.31.  Please post questions or comments here.

It requires iTunes to do the actual sync.  You can uncheck all the options when installing.  MC will start iTunes when it's needed.

Select a playlist or album (any list should work) of MP3 files and choose File / Export to iTunes.

This feature only works with MP3 files right now.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Support for iPhone Playlist Sync
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:11:06 pm »

wich itunes version 9.1?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »

I'm actually really pretty excited about this.  However, from a UI point of view, rather than selecting a list and doing a manual File -> Export, wouldn't it make more sense to just treat iTunes as a handheld?  Then we would be able to use all of the existing handheld options, conversion settings (cache and whatnot), and an existing UI system.  Perhaps this is just step one and you are heading down that road, but...

It would be REALLY nice if I could just set MC up with a special "iTunes" handheld.  I'm envisioning a system very much like the current "generic handheld" system (where we can sync to a folder on our hard drive) using the pre-selected Smartlists and manual Playlists chosen in the MC Handheld settings.  The important thing would be that the presets for converting videos with FFMPEG, building a conversion cache, resizing photos, and the rest of MC's awesome Handheld options would be set to work well with iTunes (this is possible now, but you have to manually hack the FFMPEG.xml file for video support).  Then, when you click "Sync" it would open iTunes and update the iTunes Library to match the MC Sync list (throwing out file entries that are now "missing" and whatnot).  I'm, personally, not really concerned with capturing playcounts and ratings back from iTunes in the process, but others might be interested in that as well if possible.

That way, we can use MC on our computer for our "master media library", and then maintain the iTunes library separately, but via MC.  The iTunes library would contain ONLY those files that you want synced to your phone (which makes iTunes' stupid sync support easier to deal with anyway, you just set it to sync everything).  I suspect many users of MC have libraries that are far too large to even consider syncing over to even a 64GB iPhone, so this is probably an ideal way to handle it.  I already accomplish this manually by "syncing" MC to a folder, and then running a separate iTunes folder sync program that makes the iTunes library match this folder.  If MC could handle this second step for me, it would make using MC with my iPhone (and, more importantly, my wife's iPhone) a LOT less painful.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »

Not having much luck.

When I export to iTunes & iPhone MC crashes when I click on the Export button.

I'm using the iPhone that is connected to iTunes as the destination.

If I skip the iPhone and use the iTunes Library as the destination it works.

Testing with: MC 15.0.31, Windows 7, iTunes 9.1

hooli

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:18:30 am »

This is a very welcome addition.

JohnM

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:28:40 am »

;D

sunfire7

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:53:35 am »

glynor, that would be, AMAZING  :o
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:17:16 am »

Thanks!

I'm glad that we can support iPhone/Touches now, but I really like glynor's idea.  My first thought was great, and then I realized that it would not be a sustainable solution. 

jack wallstreet

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »

I concur with glynor also.  I just need my playlists and only those files in my current playlists over to itunes.  Don't need stat updates or anything.  In other words, one way communication similar to the "handheld" would work fine (for my needs).
John

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 02:11:51 am »

Agree with Glynor.  This is the first addition that makes MC15 worth upgrading to for me, but I'll wait until I see how things pan out...  It must be as flexible as the current handheld conversion system otherwise there's really no point in using it.  Hopefully that's the ultimate goal...

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:47:03 am »

Wow, this is the most welcome new feature I can think of in the past three versions of MC.  I abhor iTunes, and the less I have to use it to manage my media, the better.  I'll have to play with this later.
Kerr

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:10:01 am »

I don't quite understand why direct syncing of iphones and ipod touches is not working in MC.

There are plenty of 3rd party programs out there that can do it, even open source programs (with source code freely available). I may be overly simplistic about this, but it seems to me all you have to do is take a look at that source code, and adapt it to work with MC as a plugin or something. All they require is AppleMobileDeviceService running (which can be done without installing iTunes and Quicktime).

By using iTunes to send a playlist to, I don't see the difference of making a playlist to sync directly in iTunes itself. If it has to be installed, I might as well just use it to sync too.

But one of the problems lies in the fact that with iTunes you can't sync with more than one pc. And anything on your phone not in the playlist will get deleted. There is just so much wrong with iTunes I don't even know where to start.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:24:21 am »

I love this. Whatever allows me to spend less time in iTunes works for me!  ;)

Question: Why is the feature not allowed when connected via Library Server?  It would be nice if it was.

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 04:45:49 am »

Not having much luck.

I get the same problem with MC 15.0.35, Windows 7, iTunes 9.1

IVB2

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:59 pm »

Wow; the last version of MC I bought was V12, as I haven't seen a big need to upgrade for my greatly limited needs.

But the wife bought the (yech, phooey) iPhone last year, I own a WM phone, and I use a squeezebox to play audio back (using CQC as the GUI). Something as simple as only creating a playlist once and using it via iPhone/myPhone/Squeezebox has been a royal PITA to manage.

I'm excited to try this out, I may have to actually go through the hassle of upgrading just to simplify that bit of my life.

Thanks!

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 08:49:56 am »

Still not working with 15.44

Has anyone got this to work?

Ross

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »

. . . . I'm envisioning a system very much like the current "generic handheld" system (where we can sync to a folder on our hard drive) using the pre-selected Smartlists and manual Playlists chosen in the MC Handheld settings.  The important thing would be that the presets for converting videos with FFMPEG, building a conversion cache, resizing photos, and the rest of MC's awesome Handheld options would be set to work well with iTunes (this is possible now, but you have to manually hack the FFMPEG.xml file for video support).  Then, when you click "Sync" it would open iTunes and update the iTunes Library to match the MC Sync list (throwing out file entries that are now "missing" and whatnot).  I'm, personally, not really concerned with capturing playcounts and ratings back from iTunes in the process, but others might be interested in that as well if possible.

That way, we can use MC on our computer for our "master media library", and then maintain the iTunes library separately, but via MC.  The iTunes library would contain ONLY those files that you want synced to your phone (which makes iTunes' stupid sync support easier to deal with anyway, you just set it to sync everything). . . . . 

I've been using the "generic handheld" option and a separate folder to manage my iTunes library for some time now.  It's not perfect, but it gets most of the job done (with a lot of tweaking of the conversion settings and manual deletes).  An iTunes handheld option as Glynor describes it would be fantastic.

petergraup

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

I have all my albums in FLAC and so far I have to manually convert to MP3 and then sync with iTunes to get some of them on to my iPhone... I was hoping this new exciting feature would auto-convert to MP3 or any Apple-format...

Is this in sight?

P.

PollyQ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »

I'm not even seeing the option "Export to iTunes..." in 15.0.58  :'(

sunfire7

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »

I'm not even seeing the option "Export to iTunes..." in 15.0.58  :'(

MC 15.0.58
File > Export to iTunes and iPhone
Mac version early bird

sch phase

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 02:59:21 am »

Having the same issues MC 15.0.65 Windows7 64bit itunes 9.2.0.61 64 bit  :'(

Not having much luck.

sunfire7

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »

we have no news about the progress on this feature, what is going on ?
Mac version early bird

dcpoppy

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »

I'd like to see a response to Glynor's post - that approach absolutely makes sense.  Is it where JRiver is going?  Support for mp3 only doesn't do much for me - FLAC conversion, picture resizing and video conversion are needed.

Make this work and I rescind my request for M4A tag editing - I'd rather use MC than iTunes to manage my iPhones anyway.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 11:33:05 pm »

I too would like to see a rpley to Glynor's post.

I havent upgraded since MC13 as I havent seen anything worth upgrading for.

If Glynor's suggestions are heeded - I would like ratings to be synced also - this would be the excuse I was looking for...

shAf

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 07:26:40 am »

I'd like to see a response to Glynor's post ...

I'll be purchasing an iPhone 4 for myself & my wife, and for a variety of reasons, I don't consider Android an option (... but I do understand an application developer's POV regarding this issue).  I'm also following this thread in hopes I'll not have to rely on iTunes for sync'ing part of my MC15 Library.  Granted, I will have to have iTunes installed for other reasons, and I do understand that Apple has locked 3rd-party apps out of their media database.  However, I need MC's ability to down-sample and it's on-the-fly conversion when sync'ing my OGG's, FLAC's, and 320-MP3's when sync'ing only a subset of my library.  Whatever JR can do to allow MC to sync via iTunes transparently would be much appreciated.

If anyone wants to leave feedback to Apple for hoping they'll change their iTune, the www address is
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

sunfire7

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »

I also want to know what the devs think about Glynor's post, if it is possible and what would be the advantages and downsides, legal ground, etc.

I already put my complaint to the itunes feedback but I dont think they'll do something about it  :(
Mac version early bird

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:53:24 am »

Any progress on this feature, is it still in development, ie picture support. Is this on the horizon?

I still can't get it to work with the sync directly from MC to iTouch. If I select that check-box it crashes MC. If I get it to just sync the playlist to iTunes and then get iTunes to sync the iTouch all is well.

Rgds...Ross

mikel51

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »

I'm actually really pretty excited about this.  However, from a UI point of view, rather than selecting a list and doing a manual File -> Export, wouldn't it make more sense to just treat iTunes as a handheld?  Then we would be able to use all of the existing handheld options, conversion settings (cache and whatnot), and an existing UI system.  Perhaps this is just step one and you are heading down that road, but...

It would be REALLY nice if I could just set MC up with a special "iTunes" handheld.  I'm envisioning a system very much like the current "generic handheld" system (where we can sync to a folder on our hard drive) using the pre-selected Smartlists and manual Playlists chosen in the MC Handheld settings.  The important thing would be that the presets for converting videos with FFMPEG, building a conversion cache, resizing photos, and the rest of MC's awesome Handheld options would be set to work well with iTunes (this is possible now, but you have to manually hack the FFMPEG.xml file for video support).  Then, when you click "Sync" it would open iTunes and update the iTunes Library to match the MC Sync list (throwing out file entries that are now "missing" and whatnot).  I'm, personally, not really concerned with capturing playcounts and ratings back from iTunes in the process, but others might be interested in that as well if possible.

That way, we can use MC on our computer for our "master media library", and then maintain the iTunes library separately, but via MC.  The iTunes library would contain ONLY those files that you want synced to your phone (which makes iTunes' stupid sync support easier to deal with anyway, you just set it to sync everything).  I suspect many users of MC have libraries that are far too large to even consider syncing over to even a 64GB iPhone, so this is probably an ideal way to handle it.  I already accomplish this manually by "syncing" MC to a folder, and then running a separate iTunes folder sync program that makes the iTunes library match this folder.  If MC could handle this second step for me, it would make using MC with my iPhone (and, more importantly, my wife's iPhone) a LOT less painful.

Can't you come pretty close to this by creating a virtual ipod and then using the folder as the library for itunes?

Todd Pierzina

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 10:19:20 pm »

I'm new to iPhone, but a long time Media Center user (though not a power user like many here).  The File/Export to iTunes & iPhone menu option seems to work just fine for me, though it is slow.  A few questions:
  • I have MC and iTunes (manual org) using the same root position on my disk.  Bad idea, or Really bad idea?
  • I'm not sure what actually happens with this option, but my songs and playlists seem to be making to both iTunes and iPhone correctly, albeit slowly.
  • As far as I can tell, no dupe files are being created, and the file's modify date is not being tripped.

Is this how it is supposed to work?  I'm fine with the slowness as long as I'm not in jeopardy of mangling my library.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 01:10:35 pm »

I have found a possible bug:  when I export a playlist, it creates a folder for media center and the playlist is in that folder.  If I export a second playlist, it REPLACES the one that was there.  This action continues, no matter what I try.

However, if I remove the default folder out of the export to itunes dialog box and just export a straight playlist to the itunes playlist section, all works perfectly.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:28 pm »

I'm still using MC14 for my iPod (5th and 6th gen) syncs at the moment -- it seems to work okay with music (although I don't think movies work anymore) and I didn't want to open a can of worms trying to learn and get a whole new system to work (I simply have very limited time.)  This new "MC plus iTunes" method, however, has me interested, so I wanted to ask some questions before I commit to trying it, which will most likely cost some time in getting everything working.

I'm a little unclear what the current workflow is compared to the proposed workflow that glynor suggested above.  Could somebody possibly explain the actual steps involved in each scenario?  It sounds like it's a two step process of first syncing "to" iTunes, and then using iTunes to sync to the device.  Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding things?

Again, I have limited time to mess with this sort of thing these days, so I'd like to go into it with as much information as I can.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 06:42:41 pm »

Can't you come pretty close to this by creating a virtual ipod and then using the folder as the library for itunes?

What happens when you make changes to the existing files in this scenario?  MC would re-sync the new files to the folder, so would you have to do some sort of "re-scan" of the folder in iTunes before each sync?

Forgive me, but I've NEVER used iTunes for a sync (or for much else for that matter), so I really don't know what's involved with using it in this way.

Thanks,

Larry

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:56 am »

Would it be possible to get MC to export to iTunes its "tags" of the mp3 files (name, artist, album etc) rather than the id3 tags? Or at least make it an option. Likewise with cover art, though I'm assuming this would be more difficult.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:54 am »

If you have MC set to store tags in the file, iTunes should be able to read the tags, including cover art.

Try searching in options for tag and cover art.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:02 am »

That's not really an option, for reasons I'll only go into if you really ask.. It has to do with sfv files and such.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:33 pm »

Still no reply to Glynor's post - disappointing.

xbmc can also handle video extremely well - again, free.

They do not come close to media managing - a point not really pushed as hard as it should be - it's MC's USP!

I dont mind paying for JR Media Center - and have been for 4 iterations - but it's a little frustrating that the iphone is still not supported simply and comprehensively after all this time.
(Yes I know it's all "Apple's fault")

helpme

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 07:25:42 pm »

Agree 100%

Even the current export option is a pain for me as I have most of my files in formats other than MP3

Stephen

shAf

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 05:45:41 am »

[...]

I dont mind paying for JR Media Center - and have been for 4 iterations - but it's a little frustrating that the iphone is still not supported simply and comprehensively after all this time.
I agree ... it is somewhat curious that other developers can deliver iPhone compatibility when J River cannot.  I do wonder just how well it really works(?)

Another alternate that works with MC is MCiS ...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59230.msg400327#msg400327

It's not too bad of a work-around, since iPhone users have to have iTunes installed anyway ...

HTH  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

sunfire7

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 12:38:39 pm »

There are other options : <M?diaMonkey> has native support for iPhone and it's free - how are they managing to do this...smarter devs?

<M?diaMonkey> 3.2.2 released – syncs with iPhone 4
August 13th, 2010

Ventis Media is proud to announce a new release of another program. The new version syncs with the iPhone 4, iPad, and any other device with iOS 4, making it one of the only iTunes alternatives to fully support all iPod / iPhone devices.  Additionally, the new version includes numerous minor fixes.

They do not come close to media managing - a point not really pushed as hard as it should be - it's MC's USP!

I support this 100%
Mac version early bird

HiFiTubes

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:02 am »

Glynor's post summed up everything we need. I have simply been using WebPlay because I continually butt heads with iTunes, and refuse to use it unless I have to do a backup.

I'd love to be able to have a custom iTunes library managed by MC.

There are other options : <M?diaMonkey> has native support for iPhone and it's free - how are they managing to do this...smarter devs?

<M?diaMonkey> 3.2.2 released – syncs with iPhone 4
August 13th, 2010

Ventis Media is proud to announce a new release of another program. The new version syncs with the iPhone 4, iPad, and any other device with iOS 4, making it one of the only iTunes alternatives to fully support all iPod / iPhone devices.  Additionally, the new version includes numerous minor fixes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:35 pm »

It really seems like a no-brainer, and the best way for JRiver to support iOS devices without hacking and worrying about Apple breaking the sync support.

To be clear: Apple has an officially published API for using iTunes in exactly this manner.  It is supported by Apple.  You are allowed to do it this way.

Their rule is that you must sync your iOS device via iTunes, but the rule has nothing to do with remotely controlling iTunes for this purpose.  iTunes itself is actually, at it's heart, a collection of AppleScripts.  It is SUPER SCRIPTABLE.  The iTLU application that I currently use to "sync" iTunes with a folder on my disk, was written and last updated years ago, and still works fine with just-released iTunes 10.  This is not an "actively developing" API.  Sure, it is possible that they'll break it at some point in the future, but anything is possible.  And besides, MC is already using this API in some manner to accomplish the playlist sync above.  We just need it to move a couple of steps further to be a "real" solution.

For now, the dominance of Apple's products in the portable media player space is showing no sign of lessening.  Sure, Android has been growing quickly, but it still has no where near the global market share of even the iPhone (and that doesn't count the iPad, the iPod Touch, or all of Apple's other iPods).  It may eventually overtake Apple's market share, but it also might not (and how many of these Android users are heavy media consumers in MC's target market anyway).  This system would ensure, in one fell swoop, that MC could claim to fully support sync to ALL iPods, current and future, with very limited ongoing development costs.

The alternative is to alienate an extremely large portion of your potential user base.  Like I said above... It seems like a no-brainer.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 02:58:06 pm »

It really seems like a no-brainer, and the best way for JRiver to support iOS devices without hacking and worrying about Apple breaking the sync support.

To be clear: Apple has an officially published API for using iTunes in exactly this manner.  It is supported by Apple.  You are allowed to do it this way.

Their rule is that you must sync your iOS device via iTunes, but the rule has nothing to do with remotely controlling iTunes for this purpose.  iTunes itself is actually, at it's heart, a collection of AppleScripts.  It is SUPER SCRIPTABLE.  The iTLU application that I currently use to "sync" iTunes with a folder on my disk, was written and last updated years ago, and still works fine with just-released iTunes 10.  This is not an "actively developing" API.  Sure, it is possible that they'll break it at some point in the future, but anything is possible.  And besides, MC is already using this API in some manner to accomplish the playlist sync above.  We just need it to move a couple of steps further to be a "real" solution.

For now, the dominance of Apple's products in the portable media player space is showing no sign of lessening.  Sure, Android has been growing quickly, but it still has no where near the global market share of even the iPhone (and that doesn't count the iPad, the iPod Touch, or all of Apple's other iPods).  It may eventually overtake Apple's market share, but it also might not (and how many of these Android users are heavy media consumers in MC's target market anyway).  This system would ensure, in one fell swoop, that MC could claim to fully support sync to ALL iPods, current and future, with very limited ongoing development costs.

The alternative is to alienate an extremely large portion of your potential user base.  Like I said above... It seems like a no-brainer.

Your HIRED!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 03:10:06 pm »

Your HIRED!

If only I was a C++ code monkey.

But alas... I have my limits.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 06:28:03 pm »

Well said.

I was not aware of the fact that apple actually supported the concept of syncing "through" their app (i.e. remotely controlling itunes with another app in order to sync.)  In this scenario, would the whole process happen without the user needing to "do" anything in itunes?  In other words, when you set off a sync with MC, would the whole process happen automatically such that when it was over, you'd be back at the MC interface with itunes no longer running?  Would it be possible to do this without even seeing the itunes interface at all?  (That would be REALLY nice.)  It would be really irritating if itunes stopped the process to ask if you wanted to update it, etc.  Could this sort of thing be avoided?

As much as I hate apple, I have tried other handhelds and I find myself always returning to an ipod due a combination of features that I just can't find on other products.  My opinions aside, however -- and as you also pointed out -- apple is far and away the most popular handheld device company, and they're only getting bigger.  MC is constantly adding new features, but this is a feature that would clearly increase their marketability, so I'm at a loss as to why this wouldn't be pursued (or at least why we don't know if it's being pursued.)  Feedback from JR on this subject always seems a bit "reserved," but I'm not clear why this would be the case if the "sync through itunes" idea is actually supported by apple.

In other words, I agree that it really seems like a no-brainer to "fully" support syncing to apple products from MC as opposed to the current situation of some apple products working with MC and others not, along with the constant question of whether or not you can update to the newest version of itunes or the newest ipod firmware.  A few years back I used to constantly advise people to use MC for ipod syncing, and some of them did switch to MC.  Now, however, I never know what to tell people since I'm never really clear if MC will fully support their i-products or not.  It would be great to be able to go back to saying "you really should use MC to sync" to people with apple handhelds, and have them discover that there is a better media management program out their.

Larry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

This is the only practical way to provide proper iPhone/iPad/iPod/iTouch support. Use the apple APIs and use iTunes to be a sync engine. It is fully supported by Apple.

And you need iTunes anyway. At a minimum you need it to update your OS and use the App store. I've had both MC and iTunes coexisting for years with no issue. I use prod's MCiS to sync MC with iTunes and use iTunes as the sync engine.

PollyQ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »

First, on the original subject of the thread, I tried the MC15/iTunes sync, and I couldn't get it to work (and then I went on vacation and my 30-day trial expired).

Second, I agree whole-heartedly with everyone upthread that it's absurd for MC not to be able to sync directly with an iPhone. 

I've been a paying user for more than a decade now (way back to MJ days), I LOVE this product, and I've always had great experiences with customer & technical support, BUT I'm only a hair's breadth away from switching to MediaMonkey because it syncs directly to my iPhone.

I'm not going to be upgrading to MC15 -- I'll stick with MC14 for now -- but I'm probably going to pay for a copy of MediaMonkey so that I can use it as my default music program.  It's not as good as MC in many ways, but not having the direct iPhone sync is pretty much a deal-breaker.

I also worry about the long-term viability of MC.  Current users may upgrade, but how many new users are going to buy this program as long as it doesn't do the sync?

Please, JRiver, re-think your approach and add the functionality!

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »

This is the only practical way to provide proper iPhone/iPad/iPod/iTouch support. Use the apple APIs and use iTunes to be a sync engine. It is fully supported by Apple.

And you need iTunes anyway. At a minimum you need it to update your OS and use the App store. I've had both MC and iTunes coexisting for years with no issue. I use prod's MCiS to sync MC with iTunes and use iTunes as the sync engine.

Agreed. After learning how to use dbPoweramp as an external encoder, I was surprised to find that MC can't recognize my iPod Touch. I'd been using iTunes to sync it until today, so I didn't know about the limitations.

As a programmer (who has even written a couple plug-ins for MC), I've always wondered how you could keep in-sync with Apple's ever-changing infrastructure. A published, supported API relieves JRiver of reverse engineering each new Apple tweak, and will always support all devices. Transcoding to Apple Lossless without yet-another-package is a must for this scenario to work for me; "only MP3" is not my goal.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 01:23:39 am »

First, on the original subject of the thread, I tried the MC15/iTunes sync, and I couldn't get it to work (and then I went on vacation and my 30-day trial expired).

Second, I agree whole-heartedly with everyone upthread that it's absurd for MC not to be able to sync directly with an iPhone. 

I've been a paying user for more than a decade now (way back to MJ days), I LOVE this product, and I've always had great experiences with customer & technical support, BUT I'm only a hair's breadth away from switching to another program because it syncs directly to my iPhone.

I'm not going to be upgrading to MC15 -- I'll stick with MC14 for now -- but I'm probably going to pay for a copy of another program so that I can use it as my default music program.  It's not as good as MC in many ways, but not having the direct iPhone sync is pretty much a deal-breaker.

I also worry about the long-term viability of MC.  Current users may upgrade, but how many new users are going to buy this program as long as it doesn't do the sync?

Please, JRiver, re-think your approach and add the functionality!

Absolutely agree!  Longterm viability is extremely limited without iphone (iPad) sync.  It wont be long before Mc's competitors catch up with the core functionality and then it will all be over for J River.
I dont need ANY of the 10ft interface and TV recording fluff - just a rock solid audio management database, player and iphone syncer!

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:34 am »

I don't understand why syncing continues to be such a problem years and years after iPod's release.

Yeah, MC14 is fine. iTunes has a better visualizer, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up