INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to import a dvd?  (Read 5525 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
How to import a dvd?
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:40:59 pm »

I've got a dvd folder containing 6 vobs and an ifo. If I import the folder into MC it imports the vobs as separate files and not the ifo. With the folder open on the desktop, I can play the dvd in VLC by double-clicking the ifo. If i try to play the ifo in MC it tells me it can't find the path to the file. If I try to import the ifo into MC it tells me it has imported 0 files.

What's going wrong here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to import a dvd?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »

What build of MC are you using?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »

The latest, on Win7 x64

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Under MC's Options, check the Filetype.  It sounds like you've given VLC ownership of the filetype.  Try changing that and making sure MC has it.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »

Changed the association but nothing changed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »

Changed the association but nothing changed.
Did you change it in both programs?  What happens if you double click the IFO in Explorer?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

The files carry the MC logo. If I try to play the ifo from explorer, I get an MC message saying it's encountered errors and make sure the path is right. The vobs will play in MC from explorer but only as individual files.
If I right-click the ifo in explorer and open in VLC it plays with menus etc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »

As a test, would you create a new library and drag just the IFO into the program.

Will that play?  We'll go from there based on the answer.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 05:03:30 pm »

Made new library, dragged ifo over, icon showing copy here, let go and nothing happens. Tried right-click import and same message.

Tried an experiment: imported vts_01_0.VOB into library then renamed it to vts_01_0.ifo (in Filename(name)). It wouldn't let me at first as it saw the vob and ifo as the same file. So, in the folder i renamed the vob so I could point MC at the ifo and then renamed it back. So now I've got the ifo into MC. If I send it from MC to VLC, it plays. If I try to play it in MC i get the usual can't play message but accompanied by Error details:

DirectShow: Pins cannot connect due to not supporting the same transport. Code=0x80040266

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »

What is the name of the ifo file?   Media Center looks for the main ifo file "VIDEO_TS.IFO" which is required on a DVD disc and describes all of the content on the disc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:16:02 pm »

Here's a list of the files in the folder:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.dvd;1
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 has appeared in the folder from nowhere, but as far as MC is concerned it is the same as the IFO

Hope this helps

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:02 pm »

VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 has appeared in the folder from nowhere, but as far as MC is concerned it is the same as the IFO

Did you rip using MC?  Someone reported seeing this file in folders ripped in MC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »

Did you rip using MC?  Someone reported seeing this file in folders ripped in MC.

yep, that was me and notice how once this ocurrs, mc REMOVES the main ifo!  After this, I can confirm that the movie will no longer import as expected.

Edit: ripping DVDs in mc also converts the filename and path to UPPERCASE.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »

No, this DVD wasn't ripped in MC. I have another DVD that wasn't ripped with MC but does play OK. This other DVD also has a Filename(name) of VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 but this file doesn't actually exist in the folder. The actual Filename(path) is G:\Media\Music\Videos\Nashville Pussy\Live In Hollywood (2008)\VIDEO_TS\.

The whole story of how this started was me just browsing my collection in Win7's new library system and renaming the folders of these two DVDs that I had in my library for a while. Then I went into MC and changed the path to the new folder name of the first one (Nashville Pussy) and that went OK. Then I went to the other one (Heart in Seattle) and this is when the trouble started.

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:38 am »

Which MC build are you guys using?  There was a bug in a low-level MC function for a few builds that *may* have caused a problem like the "VIDEO_TS.dvd;1" file getting created.  There should never be a file with that name on disk, the original DVD files should always be left untouched by MC.

Maybe try renaming the VIDEO_TS.dvd file to VIDEO_TS.IFO and see if MC picks it up.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »

Build .38

After renaming the VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 file to VIDEO_TS.IFO and trying to play it, MC gives the 'encountered errors' message and in VLC just plays the opening legal messages.
VLC plays the full DVD if I use VTS_01_0.IFO to start it while MC gives 'encountered errors' plus error code as stated above.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

.... "VIDEO_TS.dvd;1" file getting created.  There should never be a file with that name on disk, the original DVD files should always be left untouched by MC.

Hi John, I can confirm that these files are/were appearing for me also (on at least one PC) but let me confirm the version I'm running there. I'll update to the latest and report back.

PS - Unless I misunderstood, Matt mentioned a few days back that it was normal to see these files in the VIDEO_TS directory. I don't mind either way but of course it's a problem if it's REPLACING the main ifo.

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:56 am »

Will that play?  We'll go from there based on the answer.

Any progress?

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

Any progress?
I'm afraid I can't repro this problem.  I've dragged and dropped many ripped ifo files into MC and they all import and play correctly.  Maybe you had an MC build that produced those ".dvd;1" files and messed something up in the ripped dvd's folder.  Please try ripping another dvd using the most "plain vanilla" settings and see if it imports and plays.  Also if you want to provide an exact set of steps to repro the problem I'll run through them here.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 03:53:12 pm »

As it stands, I can get the thing into MC with some messing around but can't play it

The DVD folder contains:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

If I play the IFO file from explorer in VLC, the DVD plays

If I play the IFO file from explorer in MC I get:
MC encountered problems etc, etc
DirectShow: Pins cannot connect due to not supporting the same transport. Code=0x80040266

If no one can sort it from there, I guess it's time to give up and hand over to VLC again.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 04:06:42 pm »

What do you have set for your Playback Method in Tools > Options > Audio > Playback Method? If it isn't set to automatic, what directshow filters are you using? I've had trouble with playback if I try to use the Haali Video Renderer. I am also using Windows 7 64 bit.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »

It is set to automatic. All my video settings are default.

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »

All my video settings are default.

There is no default. That's why mojave is asking whether it's set to "automatic" or something else. With it set to "automatic," playback is handled by JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters). Note you are getting a DirectShow error. I won't pretend to understand much of this, but my experience suggests the only video decoder that works for DVD video in Windows 7 64 bit is Microsoft DTV-DVD. So maybe your video decoder setting is not set to "automatic," or it needs to be set explicitly to this filter to ensure it's selected.

Whatever the problem, it's helpful to bear in mind it's not MC playing the file when DirectShow is being used. VLC is different—it uses it's own internal filters. So whether or not it can play a file is not relevant to the question of how to configure your system to do so using DirectShow.

You may find it helpful to use a tool like GraphStudio to illustrate exactly how the DirectShow graph is built for a particular file. The attached screen shot is what this shows for a DVD file on my system. Seeing this and knowing it works makes it less daunting to configure MC in a way that ensures the same graph is built.

Having said that, I still have one annoying issue with DVD file playback. In GraphStudio's viewer, they open in about 2 seconds. In VLC, about 7. In MC, they take about 15 seconds to open, and then another 15 seconds to find a bookmark. I don't think it's always been that way, but I don't play this often enough to have any sense of what might have changed, or when. :-\

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 10:23:11 am »

By default I mean I haven't changed anything in there since I installed, therefore whatever was in there was the 'default'.

As far as VLC vs MC, how can a free player contain all the necessary filters to play virtually anything I throw at it yet MC has to be nursed along with codecs, filters, and settings. VLC is in my send to menu for anything that makes MC falls over eg, MKV, DVD, AVI and hasn't failed me yet. Not saying it's perfect, but it is free!

I had hoped the DirectShow error would have pointed someone in the right direction but I guess not.

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 02:01:19 pm »

As far as VLC vs MC...

I said this question is not relevant, but ... MC includes the option of using it's playback engine for video. It relies on codecs installed on the system to built a filter graph that works for the particular media and devices involved. Most of us prefer this option because it provides a more integrated experience, and the flexibility to configure an optimal playback. I can't configure VLC to use CoreAVC, and I doubt I could output digital audio to my home theatre receiver over SPDIF while using AC3Filter. Understanding and configuring all this is not easy, and it's frustrating when it breaks. But VLC is not easy to use either, nor does it have a monopoly on playing everything properly.

Your codecs are not installed and configured properly, and/or MC is not configured to use them properly. If you can't be bothered figuring that out and/or have no need for the benefits of DirectShow playback, just configure MC to use VLC for the playback of all video. You may as well use what you're happy with.

I had hoped the DirectShow error would have pointed someone in the right direction but I guess not.

Have you tried my suggestions?

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:54:48 pm »

just configure MC to use VLC for the playback of all video

That'll do for me. How do I do it? I can't see anything obvious in Video Playback options.

Thanks.

rick.ca

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »

Set Playback Method to External (custom) and point that to VLC.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 07:29:32 am »

Got it, thanks

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »

Just an update.

Imported a different DVD into MC by just importing the Video_TS.ifo via right-click. MC imported it and changed the filename in MC (not in the folder) to Video_TS,dvd,1. VLC then wouldn't play it till I renamed it to Video_TS.ifo in MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up