INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo for phones  (Read 28656 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Gizmo for phones
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:44 am »

Gizmo is our first phone app, thanks to Matt.  It's written in Java and runs only on Android at this time.

It's currently a helper app.  It communicates with Library Server to start up music streaming on the Android.  Eventually, it may evolve into a small media player for phones.

Gizmo must be downloaded from the Android Market, using the phone.  Please see the wiki for Instructions.  Use build 150 or higher.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Gizmo for phones
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »

Here's the graphical look of our new app (shown on a Google Nexus One):

More Pictures Here

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:47:08 pm »

Being Java would it be hard to port to WinMo?
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:38:51 am »

Right now, our focus is on Android, to get it right.  Next will be iPhone, though we may not do a lot there.  Quicktime works OK.  After that, we'll address WinMo.

People have asked for Blackberry.  I've no idea how hard it would be to do a Blackberry port, or even if we'll do it.  I don't see Blackberrys getting much entertainment use.  Maybe I'm just uninformed.

To answer your question, though, Java on WinMo may not be the right choice.  MS had a reputation for a less than perfect Java.  They saw Java as a threat. 

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:54 pm »

Looks good.
Any plans to also use the Gizmo as a Playing Now app as well?
I'd rather use the Gizmo app than the webpage.

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

Gizmo is our first phone app, thanks to Matt.  It's written in Java and runs only on Android at this time.

It's currently a helper app.  It communicates with Library Server to start up music streaming on the Android.  Eventually, it may evolve into a small media player for phones.

15.0.49 or above will provide a graphical look for our Gizmo application on Android.  Run Webplay on the phone, install Gizmo, then return to Webplay to select music.  This is still a work in progress.

What versions of Android OS does the Gizmo app work on?  I'm running the Motorola Cliq running Android 1.5 and I don't see Gizmo in the Market when I search.  I'm assuming it's not compatible with Android 1.5 so it doesn't appear in my Market.  Can you confirm?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »

What versions of Android OS does the Gizmo app work on?  I'm running the Motorola Cliq running Android 1.5 and I don't see Gizmo in the Market when I search.  I'm assuming it's not compatible with Android 1.5 so it doesn't appear in my Market.  Can you confirm?

It's not in the Android Market yet, [Edit by JimH -- it is now] but it does work with 1.5.

Visit WebPlay on your Android.  The home page has a link for installing Gizmo.  [Edit by JimH -- Install from Android Market.]  

Emailing yourself an invitation from Media Center > Options > Network is an easy way to get to WebPlay.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:23:24 pm »

I'm really excited to play with this when I get the new android phone.

I love the capability on my WinMo device (HTC Wizard/Cingular 8125), flashed from 5.0 to 6.5, but it's TOOoooo slow as a webremote.  I was sad it broke, but I guess I'll suffer with a new phone  ;)   Her iPhone is SO much better speedwise as a webremote, and the EVO should be even better I;m sure (1gHz snapdragon processor goodness :)).  I will be a happy guinea pig starting June 4th :)

I already trying to figure out how to incorporate this with some rs232 commands to have MC automatically turn on the second zone on my receiver when I select the patio zone, and control the input for that zone from the phone also :)

Keep up the good work :)

Oh, and the EVO has a nice big screen, so getting video and photos playing on the device will be VERY welcome.
pretend this is something funny

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 01:05:34 am »

!?!?!?  :(

Gizmo doesn't look like that on my THC Hero... :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:46:51 am »

It requires the build from the top of the MC15 board.

pilp01a

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:50:59 am »

Don't forget webOS please !!! I need it for my Palm Pre :)

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

It requires the build from the top of the MC15 board.

Hmm.. I believe I am having trouble locating exactly where that is.. :(

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 11:45:27 am »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57909.0

"(requires reinstallation from WebPlay homepage)"

That's what I did... GGrr.. all I see if a list of files in Gizmo... Not what your picture is showing...??
My phone is showung v1

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »

Did you install this build?
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150058.exe

Then install Gizmo again.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 02:10:04 pm »

Looks good.
Any plans to also use the Gizmo as a Playing Now app as well?
I'd rather use the Gizmo app than the webpage.

Bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

Probably not.

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:25 pm »

It's not in the Android Market yet, but it does work with 1.5.

Visit WebPlay on your Android.  The home page has a link for installing Gizmo.  

Emailing yourself an invitation from Media Center > Options > Network is an easy way to get to WebPlay.

Okay thanks, I did get Gizmo installed on my phone & its working fine to stream music to my Android phone (Moto Cliq) while I'm connected to my local LAN via Wi-Fi.  When I share out my library to be accessed & streamed over the Internet, & then I test out that Internet Connectivity, I get that error that my library is not available over the Internet but I can still access via my local LAN.  Well I've been trying to trouble-shoot at all Tiers, PC Firewall, Wi-Fi Router connected to ISP modem with built-in Firewall & I downloaded wireshark to even capture network traffic to-and-from my pc, and I don't even see any traffic at all coming from outside my network (WAN) to access my music library. 

I guess my question is how is the relay happening between webplay.jriver.com and my local library server for WebPlay to work?  I've opened up port 52199 both inbound & outbound on my router/firewall & on my pc firewall running MC and still nothing.  Like I said, I'm even looking at Logs generated by MC itself where it shows you all connections and requests to your library server and I don't really see any connections from outside my LAN.  My Wi-Fi router also has a network capture capability and those captures don't show any traffic for port 52199.  I can also view the logs on my Wi-Fi router and no traffic.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I work in IT so I'm not a novice at trouble-shooting network connectivity or pc related issues.  I want to be able to get WebPlay to work over the Internet so that I can have access to my music library on the go. 

Someone please give me some help on where I need to look next or start trouble-shooting.  BTW I'm running MC build 15.0.46 on Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 04:04:58 pm »

Try the option called "Manage Access to Server" under Library Server options.  It will hit our server and our server will try to ping back.

The address from outside your network must be the outside IP address of the cable modem.  This site will tell you what it is:
http://www.whatsmyip.org/

It sounds like you've got Webplay working.  You just need the right address from the outside, and the port needs to be open all the way.

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 04:04:58 pm »

Did you install this build?
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150049.exe

Then install Gizmo again.

Ill try again.... maybe the newer Gizmo wasn't installed with the update I got when I installed MC15?
After I installed MC15, it immediately told me this update was available and I let it install.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

You need to install Gizmo after you install each build (if Gizmo has changed).

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »

You need to install Gizmo after you install each build (if Gizmo has changed).

I see the problem.. :) (Sorry....)

MediaCenter only updated itself to 15.0.46 ..... not 49....

That's what I think I am missing.....

Installing update now....

:
:
:
:
:
:

Yup.. that was the problem... sorry for MY confusion :)
I'm happy now! TIme to test it out on the road..!

lOth

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 04:07:17 pm »

Next will be iPhone, though we may not do a lot there.  Quicktime works OK

It would be nice to have a dedicated app though. Although webplay seems to offer a more stable client/server solution, I still find myself using primarily PlugPlayer, probably because it looks and feels smoother (I personally dislike being taken back and forth between safari and quicktime, it just doesn't feel right)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »

I am anxious to test this when I get my android phone next week. A few questions in advance:

1. Does gizmo download the entire file first before playing it? Or, does it truly stream the file?
2. Does gizmo download the next files in the list while the first one may be playing?
3. Is there any audio or video transcoding that could be configured on the server side?

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 06:16:51 pm »

1. Does gizmo download the entire file first before playing it? Or, does it truly stream the file?
2. Does gizmo download the next files in the list while the first one may be playing?
3. Is there any audio or video transcoding that could be configured on the server side?
1.  It streams.
2.  No.
3.  It can convert audio.  I don't think video works yet.

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

Yup.. that was the problem... sorry for MY confusion :)
I'm happy now! TIme to test it out on the road..!

Seems to work.. MOSTLY....
Sometimes, it would appear if the connection is lost and restored.. it RESTARTS the stream, rather than picking up where it left off...

The DEAD AIR between tracks gets REALLY annoying... seems like a pre-buffer of the next track would be in order to enable effectively gap-less play mode...

Otherwise, I think I am liking this so far....

Great job!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

Looking forward to an iPhone App.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:57 pm »

Looking forward to an iPhone App.

We have no plans to make an iPhone app.  The QuickTime player works well with WebPlay.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »

We have no plans to make an iPhone app.  The QuickTime player works well with WebPlay.

Does that mean that it (Gizmo) already works on an iPhone.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »

No.  But WebPlay will.  It starts QT.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 12:59:22 pm »

Thanks Jim and Matt.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:47 pm »

I picked up the EVO today, got home, sent myself the email invite from MC and it failed to connect to the server.  okay, router issue, I'll connect locally, which works from my laptop.

I can connect, but cannot hear any audio, and get no visual indicator that files are actually playing.  It has given some signs that it wants to play files for me, but I have yet to hear anything.

It showed what looked like an http: address, then Processing, then somethingsofastIcouldn'tseeit then playing.  But nothing actually appeared to play.

Once it showed cover art, and showed Image:http:\\filelocation below the play controls.

Also, I don't' see the same play controls as the image above.  I only have 4 buttons, and they are labeled, not iconed (is that a word?).

It also only shows [Time] in the upper right corner.  Clicking the icon in the upper left just turns off the image and back on.

I can connect to the library server from my laptop instance of MC, and playback works just fine.

I logged into the HTPC via Remote Desktop from the laptop and opened MC and saw that it said it needed to download an encoder (I think) and I hit okay, a couple of times I think, then it seemed to finish, I figured this was the problem, but still no sound. 

I can use webremote, and I can select playlists and skip tracks, but I can't actually play the files.

I checked on the HTPC remote session again and saw an error about not being able to playback the file type, I think it was 44100, 24 bit, can't remember for sure, but it definitely should have played.

I then looked into the control panel, and it wouldn't let me open audio devices, and a look at the speaker icon showed a red X and a mouse over said no sound cards/devices were installed.

This has happened before; it has something to do with me playing files in a MC session on the HTPC from a remote desktop session on the laptop.

I haven't tried yet to track down what causes it exactly, and this is only the second or third time I've had this audio device disappearing thing happen.  I'll play around one of these days to try to track down what exactly causes it.

Anyway, I closed media center and library server on the HTPC from the remote session, and checked in the task manager and Media Center was not running, yet the MC session running on the laptop continued to playback media from the server.  I was surprised by this, as it appeared Media Center.exe was not running on the HTPC, how did the laptop know how to get to the actual media files.  I could skip tracks, skip forward in tracks, stop and play the tracks as if Library Server was still running.  I found this very interesting.

I shut down the session on the laptop, then restarted the HTPC.  I verified it is running .49 and when it started back up, the audio devices were back and playback was as expected on teh HTPC, directly at the HTPC, not from a remote session.

I then came back and verified I could advance, play, stop, adjust volume, everything on the EVO in the webremote session.  that worked fine.

I then tried webplay, and I now have sound!!  Excellent!!

I still don't have the same iconed transport buttons as above, and I still see the Image: http://IPaddress/WebPlay/MCWS/v1/File/GetImage?File=12345 below the transport buttons.  I also still only see [Time] in the upper right corner, but the playback functionality seems to be fine.

this is a really good start.

Being able to rate tracks with this would be most excellent ;)

I will report back in a bit with the results of fighting my router to allow the outside the network connection.

Does anyone know if I need to set the router settings and the local HTPC (machine running the library server) firewall both?

I'm setting the router to forward like this..

Protocol Port (or Range)   Host Port   Timeout (sec)
TCP   52199                   52199   86400   

is that correct?

I'll work on that now.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:28:05 pm »

Okay, I'm out of ideas.

I turned off the router firewall.  I turned off the HTPC machine's router.  I have restarted the HTPC.

still won't connect.

I tried testing the connection, but it failed, said it was unable to connect and to make sure the port wasn't already in use.

I then changed the port to 3333

I was then able to test the connection successfully, and the invitation code remained unchanged.

I then tried the connection from the EVO again and it still fails to connect.

I don't know what is blocking/preventing it, but I don't know what else to try at this point.

it seems my request is making it to the J River server, as the new attempt gives me the updated port 3333 addresses to try, but the one it says to try from outside the network is the local IP address, and the one it says to try from inside the library server (I assume it means local network network) is the router IP address.  I think these are mixed up.

Well, it was that way with the old port number(52199), but with the updated port addresses, they are both the router IP address, which seems strange.

Well, I've tried a few more times and it will not connect for me and it seems I'm wide open on both the machine running the server and the router.

ideas?

Okay, I went to the HTPC again, tried to verify the firewall was off for that machine (I see no way to turn the firewall of all together) and then switched it for another machine, then back to the HTPC, then restarted the HTPC, then tried again.

still wouldn't connect.  it gave me th outside IP address again for both suggestions, and when I clicked the outside one, it connected; but to webremote, and controls the playback for the Patio zone, and plays back on then Patio speakers.

I checked that I'm not connected to my internal network, and the address is the outside address.  this seems like it "worked" but what was the point?  being able to control the patio playback from my office isn't very useful.  I thought this was to allow me to playback the media locally?!?

Okay, I played around a bit more.  I could see all the zones in my setup from the EVO, so it seems like it's got a good connection, but I can't get the gizmo to play any files.

I went back and removed the webremote... from the url, and just went back to the port number and refreshed, and that took me to library server main page, I selected webplay, picked a playlist and I have streaming :)

It seems telling the router to open up the HTPC changes it's IP address in the router to the external address, which is why it showed that address for both suggestions.

I have to use the external IP address to access the server from my laptop in this configuration, but it works also it seems.  I tried clicking library server and it asked it I wanted to allow it to open MC, and I said yes, but since it was already open, it seems to have gotten confused, and just gives me the spinning circle for the last couple of minutes.

As I'm doing this, it just went to the second song, and there was a lag of some 10 or so seconds before the next track began playing.  if this could be reduced to gapless, or crossfade, that would be great.

I forced MC closed and the remote connection did open MC in the served library; nice.

Okay, I just went and turned the HTPC firewall back on, all was well, I skipped a song, and it took about 30 seconds to hear the next song.

**Suggestion: could you either buffer the next song, or not stop play on the current song until the next one is ready?  I'd rather have lag than silence :)

I turned on the router firewall, and that boggled it again. I restarted, deleted and created a new profile for Library Server, and still no luck.  then I remembered that I have to restart the machine after changing the DMZ sittings on the U-Verse box and when I restarted, it worked again.

I think it's all working now, which is very cool!

I think it didn't help that when it did kinda connect it kept taking me to the webremote screen, which looked like a local connection, and what I wanted to go to the next level up so I could select webplay, which automatically launches the Gizmo, and now plays music (still have [Time] showing).

If the email invite could be updated so the link takes you to the http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:3333/LibraryServer/ instead of the webremote, that would be better I think.

So, just to make sure I could do it, I set it up on the wife's EVO (I switched from AT&T, so I had to get new phones and she wasn't taking anything less than what I was getting :)) and I stumbled at the steps a bit, and when it finally connected it wouldn't play.

I could navigate and select and everything else worked, but wouldn't play.

I stopped and closed the Gizmo on mine and hers began to work fine; which is good.

I then could not play on mine; meaning this will only stream one at a time.  I hope this can be expanded upon.

All in all, it's taken longer than I thought it would, but U-Verse updated the firmware on the router and it all looks different than I remember, and forgetting to restart, then many restarts, etc, etc.

But, I tried to keep track of what I was doing as I was doing it and I hope that my LONG post helps future folks save some time.

Again, thanks for doing this; it really is pretty great.  It definitely needs cleaned up and expanded upon, but for an out of the gate feature, I'm quite happy  ;D

klockk

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 10:57:37 am »

@JustinCase

Instead of opening everything up liek a DMZ Zone....

I just set up a VirtualServer for the specific port I have MC setup to use for WebRemote/WebPlay...
This is similar to port forwarding, but since it's not a RANGE of ports... I just have to deal with this single port....

Anything from the outside that comes to my route (CableModem) for that port, will be redirected to the internal IP:port...
THEN.. I had to open Windows Firewall, and add an exception for that SAME port (even though I already had an exception for MC in there..)

At THAT point, things started working from outside my internal private network.... (i.e. 192.168........ behind my router)

I agree.. the 10 - 30 second GAP of slience in between songs is killing me.... The first time I tried it out on the road... (I was riding my motorcycle, so it went silent, and I couldn't do anything about it...) it finally started the next track.... at MINIMUM.. 5 MINUTES Later.....  I thought it was dead, and then all of the sudden.. the next track started up right before I reached my destination... so my travel, was pretty quiet.... I woudl like ot see gapless here...

@JimH -
  I REALLY would like to see security at a different grain....
  I might want to give some friends access to my WebPlay..... but NOT WebRemote!!! My understanding is, currently.. one user/password... access to it all..??

It might be nice to even onyl allow certain "Users" to onyl be able to access "PlayLists" rather than the entire library.....

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 03:03:54 pm »

Staff has already stated that they plan security enhancements in this area.

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 11:42:28 pm »

I wanted to add my experiences for what they are worth. I just got the EVO and of course one of my first goals was to learn how to get web streaming to work with it.

Up to now, I have only done MC to MC streaming across PCs on my LAN. I tried to find a comprehensive How To article to guide me on wireless streaming to a smartphone, but was frustrated by the fact that info about the subject is scattered across numerous threads.  Until I discovered that "WebPlay" was the feature I needed to be searching on, I did not even know what to call the feature in MC that I was looking for.

I learned that I had to go to the Networks options and set on the General DLNA server option as a pre-req. Also, I had to access the Applications and Gaming tab on my router control panel to enable the 52199 port for TCP. To do this I had to know the IP address that would be forwarded to this port. I had no idea what address to provide, so I typed in the 192.168.1.119 example from the WebPlay wiki topic. I finally looked up the actual current IP address of my media server and realized that was what was needed in the IP field.

Then my wireless connection on the EVO kept disconnecting almost immediately each time I tried to turn it on. I learned that I needed to set it for a static address, in this case, again, the actual IP address of my server. Since I use DSL, the address may change from time to time. I understand that I might be able to use DynDNS to update a nameserver so that I can address WebPlay by a domain name instead of IP address, but I'm not there yet in my webmaster skills. The main point is that the static option and hard address somehow helps the wireless connection to persist.  The link examples in the wiki did not give much of a clue about this aspect of the setup.

That done, I was finally able to hit the Webplay page on my EVO. I bookmarked that page because it seems to be necessary for choosing what you want to play and starting the play session.  Before you can do that, though, go to the bottom of that intro screen to find the link for downloading the app, which is called Gizmo. It is an unregistered app, so you have to respond Yes to allowing potentially dangerous apps to be installed. Each time MC is updated, it is possible that Gizmo needs to be updated as well, so it is best to visit this page after each MC update (the subject of the previous discussions in this thread).

Once you start a song, the Gizmo interface takes over. As of June 6, it offers controls for Previous, Play/Pause, Stop, and Next for songs that are in the set you selected from WebPlay. Currently, there is a lengthy gap of about a minute or more between songs--something just to be aware of.

While listening to one song after I finally got things working, all of the sudden the Sprint music player also started up, and I was hearing the profane lyrics of the Everyone Under the Stairs pre-installed song along with what I had playing on Gizmo.  I have not yet learned how to discard songs from the SD card, so I'm hoping this sort of obnoxious thing does not happen too randomly for the time being.

FWIW, I was able to plug in the USB cable for charging while playing music without causing any interruptions (I thought I had seen this as a concern in one of my searches).

As a newbie to smartphone interfaces, I haven't yet figured out how to navigate from one running application to the other. It seems that I have to restart web pages, and eventually I get too many open windows, but can't find where to manage them to shut down some of them, so I just reboot the phone. I'm not a Luddite by any means, but "ease of use" ought to include some words on icons and an obvious way to jump between open sessions (not MC's problem--this is an Android/Sense issue). So for now, jumping between the WebPlay page and the Gizmo app is a bit of a pain, but I'm definitely streaming from beyond my LAN, which is something I've really been pining for! I hope these notes might contribute to some sort of improved How To topic for folks who are coming new to the product, especially on the wave of the popular smartphone use cases!
--
Don
--
Don Day

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 12:39:15 pm »

In hopes of not appearing too much of an idiot with Android smart phone interfaces, I learned that holding the Back and Home buttons for the extended menus is the navigation tip I needed. Also, using the Windows menu option in a browser lets me close open sessions that don't need to be maintained.

I'll try to rewrite some How To updates for the WebPlay wiki topic as my contribution to the state of the docs.
--
Don
--
Don Day

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:46 am »

Is Symbian in the works too? Symbian is the most popular platform outside the US.
Thanks!

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:00 am »

I saw this article today on CNN.com: Why smartphones may replace your remote control

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/09/remote.control.gallaga/index.html?hpt=C2

It looks like MC with WebPlay/Gizmo and WebRemote are definitely evolving in the right direction!
--
Don Day

MrHaugen

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:11 am »

It looks like MC with WebPlay/Gizmo and WebRemote are definitely evolving in the right direction!
¨
Absolutely. Only thing I'm seeing as a minus now is that there is different ways of doing things like streaming (app) and remote control (web). I'd REALLY love to one day have this app act like a Streamer, Remote AND local media player. That would just rock. I know the Web approach are more platform undependable , but the user experience is usually much better in a well created local application.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:06 pm »

A Gizmo update should be available now.  Playback will pause when the phone rings, and playback won't stop when the phone screen goes dark.  Mine was pausing after about 15 minutes of playback.

Please remember to rate the app.  Gizmo has 5 stars from 8 users.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »

I don't get it. I installed Gizmo on my Evo 4G, enter the access code, and it takes me to Web Play. I go back to the app and click Browse Library, and it takes me to web play.

Is Gizmo a web browser launcher? Why can't I just bookmark my web play page? Is it supposed to be a player? Can I browse without leaving the app?

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »

I saw the other thread, but I got to this one from the wiki.

Reading the other thread, it sounds like Gizmo is supposed to be a player. Apparently, you could browse your library from within the application. Mine does none of the above. I click to play a track and it asks what player to load. Playlists download a playilst file and that's it.

I am using 15.0.70 of MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:36 pm »

Playlists download a playilst file and that's it.

Playlists should automatically launch Gizmo.

We haven't heard a report of this not working, so I'm not sure.  Could you have a proxy that changes mime-types or something?

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 09:42:25 am »

I have experienced some difficulties with making or receiving calls while gizmo is playing and my phone was connected to gps device via Bluetooth which also acts as hands free device. I was connected via headphone jack to car stereo system but that may not be related.

The problem I am having is that there is no incoming call sound.

Osho

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »

I saw the other thread, but I got to this one from the wiki.

Reading the other thread, it sounds like Gizmo is supposed to be a player. Apparently, you could browse your library from within the application. Mine does none of the above. I click to play a track and it asks what player to load. Playlists download a playilst file and that's it.

I am using 15.0.70 of MC.

If the playlist contains a lot of files (over 500? I think Matt said one time) it will simply not download the playlist and no music will play.  you do not get any notification of this.  Matt once said it might be changable, I'll try to find the thread.

Try a smaller playlist and it should work.  Not ideal, it tripped me up also.

[EDIT]

Here is the other thread where it was discussed...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58141.msg394307#msg394307

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 06:56:07 pm »

What is the user agent string reported when you browse to this site using your Google phone:
http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

I'm wondering if WebPlay isn't detecting the phone as a Google phone because it uses a different user agent than older Google phones.

Thanks.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:14 am »

I thought I would chime with the solution.

If you have "Mobile View" unchecked in the browser settings, Gizmo won't work right. You have to have mobile view turned on (checked).

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 10:42:27 am »

Another request regarding improving Gizmo: is it possible to make it aware of headphone insertion and removal? For example, Pandora pauses the playback when headphone is removed. It would be awesome if Gizmo also worked that way. Removing headphone should pause the playback and inserting it back should resume the playback. I am using the headphone connection to connect to my car stereo - and this will really be awesome as I can just "plug and play" as I get in and out of my car during the day.

Thanks,
Osho

jitainss

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 11:15:11 pm »

Hi,

I installed Gizmo on my Milestone and put in the Access key. I am able to access my library through my internal WiFi network but not from an external WiFi network or through 3G. To see if the Norton firewall was preventing access I uninstalled Norton and reconfigured my router to allow access on the port mentioned (52199) and fixed the IP address for my desktop (where the music is stored) and allowed access to the relevant port . I even changed the port number to another port number on both MC 15 settings and my Router but no joy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jitain

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 02:40:25 pm »

I installed Gizmo on my Milestone and put in the Access key. I am able to access my library through my internal WiFi network but not from an external WiFi network or through 3G.
Our wiki has an article on "Network Access" here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Network_Access

Your modem and router need to allow inbound access on the port you're using.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up