INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo (for Android) Changes  (Read 12109 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Gizmo (for Android) Changes
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

Gizmo lets you stream music from your PC to your Android device.  It requires JRiver Media Center.

Edit by JimH -- In MC15.0.158, the features of Gizmote were merged with Gizmo.  Gizmo can play music from an MC Library Server.  It can play it on the Android or it can play it on any DLNA Renderer (including another copy of MC).

Please see this thread.

----------------

Our Android app is now available from the Android Market (search for Gizmo).  It's a free app there but it still requires MC15.

The app is no longer in the MC15 build.  It must be installed from the Market.

The WebPlay browser pages are now more tightly coupled to the app.  Just install the app and choose Browse Library.

If you've never used the Library Server access key, you'll need to generate one and use it.

More Information and Instructions on our Wiki.

MrHaugen

Re: Gizmo (for Android) Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:00:55 am »

Just wanted to give you the thumbs up for making this app! It might be a VERY nice addition once it ages a bit. I'm really looking forward to testing it out my self once I get my HTC Desire!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:25:41 am »

Downloading on new HTC Legend :-)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:00:04 am »

Works great on my HTC Evo for albums. I just wish I could listen to a playlist without having to select each track one at a time.  I am sure you guys will continue to improve it, but this is a great start.  I was listening to whatever I wanted to at 20,000 ft. the other day, without having to decide what I wanted to listen to before I left the house.

Great job,

Alex

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:19:40 am »

Works great on my HTC Evo for albums. I just wish I could listen to a playlist without having to select each track one at a time.  I am sure you guys will continue to improve it, but this is a great start.  I was listening to whatever I wanted to at 20,000 ft. the other day, without having to decide what I wanted to listen to before I left the house.

Great job,

Alex
Thanks.  The playlist problem should be fixed in build 57.  It will be at the top of the MC15 board today.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »

Can I give the name of my server <something.homeip.net:my_port_number> - this worked fine with the previous version of Gizmo but it doesn't work anymore. How do I make that happen?

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »

I think it's in the instructions on the wiki .... but you need to use the Access Key.  It's obtained in Options/Media Network/Enable ...

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:31:28 am »

I think it's in the instructions on the wiki .... but you need to use the Access Key.  It's obtained in Options/Media Network/Enable ...

When I use the access key, I can access the Webplay page fine but it uses my IP address. If my IP address changes when the router boots the next time, will it still continue to work? Just to avoid such issues, I have set up a DynDNS and it works really well. I use <myname>.selfip.net to access my machine. This works reliable 100% of time. Will access key work with IP changes?

EDIT: I just tested this. I released the DHCP IP address of my router and renewed it. It got a different IP address as expected (as it is dynamically allocated). The Browse Library do not work anymore in the Gizmo - it still wants to connect to the older IP address. If I browse to <myname>.selfip.net, I can use webplay just fine.

Thanks,
Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:24:48 am »

A few requests/suggestions to make Gizmo and Webplay even better :).

Webplay:

• While browsing tracks of a album, along with Play there should be Play All button - which will play that album but will start from that track.
  • When navigating back/forward, the page is reloaded again always. Could navigating be quicker so that the page is not reloaded if it doesn't need to be?
  • An option to not get any cover art in Webplay to make navigation quicker may be helpful when on slow 3G or 2G.

Gizmo: when gizmo is playing, can it show an icon in the notification area (say like pandora and other music playing apps do)?

I also have a general Android question that I hope someone knows the answer to. In the default Android browser properties, there is a setting "Open pages in overview". This setting is checked by default (which is good for most webpages). However, for Webplay, this causes unwanted side effects such as the font size is different depending on the maximum number of characters in each row. If you have artists or songs with very long names, you may see this. If I uncheck this setting, Webplay interface behaves much more nicely - with same number of rows on each screen - much more predictable and user-friendly. Is is possible to tell the browser to not use this setting for certain domains? Alternatively, does someone have a suggestion of how to fix this otherhow (maybe a different browser)? For now, I have just disabled this setting but am still on a look-out for a better work-around.

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:33:12 am »

When I use the access key, I can access the Webplay page fine but it uses my IP address. If my IP address changes when the router boots the next time, will it still continue to work? Just to avoid such issues, I have set up a DynDNS and it works really well. I use <myname>.selfip.net to access my machine. This works reliable 100% of time. Will access key work with IP changes?

EDIT: I just tested this. I released the DHCP IP address of my router and renewed it. It got a different IP address as expected (as it is dynamically allocated). The Browse Library do not work anymore in the Gizmo - it still wants to connect to the older IP address. If I browse to <myname>.selfip.net, I can use webplay just fine.
Generate a new key on the server when that happens.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

Generate a new key on the server when that happens.

Thanks for the tip. Doing this or using a DynDNS address both works. Great.

This may not be very apparent to some users - so if MC15 can sense that the IP address is changed and inform the MC server that has the association between key and IP address - that would make this more seamless for some.

Thanks,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:45 am »

Please remember to rate Gizmo on the Market.  Thanks to those who have.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:54 pm »

I posted this in the version .58 build thread also, but it applies here as well...

When using WebPlay with the new Gizmo app from the Android Marketplace, I can't play large playlists.  When I select a playlist with 1209 files, it just opens the Gizmo and shows me the opening screen, "Play your home media anywhere" and the "Browse Library" button below, which when clicked, just takes me to the screen requiring me to enter my key, then takes me back to the select screen.  the media never plays.  if I select a playlist with 549 files it pauses about 3 or 4 seconds, then shows the cover art and the music plays.

When I then select a playlist with 849 files, it opens the Gizmo, but shows the cover art from the previously playing track, but no music plays and I have the "browse Library" button again, and no media plays.

it seems webremote works fine with the 1209 file playlist now; but it seems I was having issues with it earlier, but perhaps before this most recent version.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:32 pm »

I posted this in the version .58 build thread also, but it applies here as well...

When using WebPlay with the new Gizmo app from the Android Marketplace, I can't play large playlists.  When I select a playlist with 1209 files, it just opens the Gizmo and shows me the opening screen, "Play your home media anywhere" and the "Browse Library" button below, which when clicked, just takes me to the screen requiring me to enter my key, then takes me back to the select screen.  the media never plays.  if I select a playlist with 549 files it pauses about 3 or 4 seconds, then shows the cover art and the music plays.

When I then select a playlist with 849 files, it opens the Gizmo, but shows the cover art from the previously playing track, but no music plays and I have the "browse Library" button again, and no media plays.

it seems webremote works fine with the 1209 file playlist now; but it seems I was having issues with it earlier, but perhaps before this most recent version.

Gizmo won't download a playlist that's larger than 1MB.  We don't want to bury the device.

It's possible this limit could be increased, but there probably needs to be some limit.  Some users have hundreds of thousands of tracks, and trying to make a playlist of all of them and hand it to a phone seems like a problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

That makes perfect sense.

is there any way to determine what the device and/or connection *can* handle and use this information to make the limit dynamic?

i.e., on a wireless connection (or 4G) with the EVO (1 ghz processor), I don't think the 1mb limit is high enough, but on my old WinMo phone, that was probably an excellent size limit.

if it can't be made dynamic, can we have the Gizmo just cut the selected playlist to the determined limit and stream part of the playlist instead?  I'd rather have something than nothing, and I don't want to change any/all my playlists (or create new ones) to get them under this limit and then have to try to manage multiple versions of my playlists.

I know it's a work in progress, and I'm thrilled with how good this whole webplay functionality works already; these are just some ideas I had for potential solutions.

thanks for reading :)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »

Works great so far. A great experience on my brand new EVO. A couple requests:

- gizmo doesnt stop playing when i answer the phone.

- how about some last.fm scrobbling support?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »

- gizmo doesnt stop playing when i answer the phone.

A Gizmo update should be available now.

Please remember to rate the app.  Gizmo has 5 stars from 8 users.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »

Gizmo has been working great up until this morning.  I couldn't connect to the library.  After some investigation, I found out that my internet connection at the house was down.  Can you guys magically connect Gizmo to my server without using the internet? Seriously, I love this app, but I do have a request:  can you integrate the bluetooth transport controls?  I use my phone in the car and connect over bluetooth, so I can listen while I am driving, but the controls from the stereo don't work (pause, play, etc).  I am sure this is pretty low priority, but if it is fairly simple, I would love to have this functionality. My friends are already impressed that I can stream music from my server to the phone and listen over the stereo, but adding the transport controls would just be awesome.

Keep up the good work,

Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:57 pm »

can you integrate the bluetooth transport controls?

Do the bluetooth controls work with the default media player?

If so, I think we would just need to find the documentation for how to catch the bluetooth commands in the Android SDK.

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 01:06:14 am »

Nice app.

1) It would be really awesome if there was a way to switch between playback on the remote machine and playback on the local device (like the There: Zone 1 option that is available in the full client).

2) Also if there was an option to use a more compressed listing style (such as single line per item with no thumbnail) maybe configurable font size too.

3) Also I haven't got video to work yet but I might be doing something wrong. I've tried a few different file types and codecs and I just get the video thumbnail with buttons to resume or browse the library. If I press resume nothing happens.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »

Matt,

Sorry for the delay,  I am planning to check the bluetooth controls for the android media player tonight.  I meant to do it last night, but it didn't happen.  I think I checked it before and they do work, but I want to verify it tonight.

Thanks,

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 05:43:44 am »

Ok, I checked it out last night and the transport (skip forward and reverse) controls do work with the default media player.  So, hopefully, it won't be too hard to incorporate them into Gizmo.

Thanks,

Alex

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 12:55:59 pm »

Hi.
Ive tested the Gizmo and Im a bit confused. When I use it I get redirected to the browser-version of the WebPlay. I though Gizmo where a bit more of an app then a shortcut to an URL? Or am I using it wrong? 

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:45 pm »

That's how it works, TMA. It would be a great if JRiver created a full-fledged app, but the web pages work pretty well. Gizmo basically makes it easy to connect to your home server, even if you have DSL or cable service with non-static IP info.

It also acts as a player, of course. When you select a song or playlist, are you not listening to the music through the Gizmo interface?

Hi.
Ive tested the Gizmo and Im a bit confused. When I use it I get redirected to the browser-version of the WebPlay. I though Gizmo where a bit more of an app then a shortcut to an URL? Or am I using it wrong?  

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:16 am »

That's how it works, TMA. It would be a great if JRiver created a full-fledged app, but the web pages work pretty well. Gizmo basically makes it easy to connect to your home server, even if you have DSL or cable service with non-static IP info.

It also acts as a player, of course. When you select a song or playlist, are you not listening to the music through the Gizmo interface?

The web interface works great. In fact Im working on a skinn for the WebRemote right now. What Im missing though is a album track list. I would like to be able to see a track list of the slected album.

About the Gizmo, it seems like I didn't use it enough to see the player interface. It works great. I just expected it to more of a stand alone app.

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 12:39:53 pm »

Are there any plans for the Gizmo to be able to stream video files (e.g. mp4) ? I was able to get it to start playing back an mp4 video file but it only plays the audio out of the video file.  No video was played back.

I'd even be happy with it starting up the built-in video player to stream the movie. Or on the MC side, allow you to download the video file onto the local device to be able to play it back.

pietro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Ride a bike, what else?
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:01 pm »

Are there any plans for the Gizmo to be able to stream video files (e.g. mp4) ? I was able to get it to start playing back an mp4 video file but it only plays the audio out of the video file.  No video was played back.

Hi JRiver, thanks for one more great app. I'd thought it already would play videos. When I select Videos in Gizmo, I can browse the library and I am able to select i.e. an DivX Movie. But when I try to playback the video, I only get the first image of the video and thats it. Any idea?

Thanks - Pietro

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 01:41:42 pm »

Hi JRiver, thanks for one more great app. I'd thought it already would play videos. When I select Videos in Gizmo, I can browse the library and I am able to select i.e. an DivX Movie. But when I try to playback the video, I only get the first image of the video and thats it. Any idea?

Thanks - Pietro

Movies are not yet supported -- only audio and images.

We hope to add video support, including conversion, but it's challenge because Android doesn't nicely support streaming format MP4.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 05:35:32 pm »

Movies are not yet supported

"So you're telling me there's a chance..."  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »

A new version of Gizmo is on the Android Market now.  It keeps the CPU alive and adds Bluetooth control (we hope).

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »

A new version of Gizmo is on the Android Market now.  It keeps the CPU alive and adds Bluetooth control (we hope).

What does "keeps the CPU alive" imply? I mean I do like it alive rather than dead :) but I am not sure I understand the implications?

Will test out Bluetooth control today and report back.

Thanks,
Osho

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 03:19:11 am »

I felt adventurous during the weekend so I installed froyo on my HD2. Then I couldn't resist trying gizmo as well... And it worked like a charm.

So HD2/Android/Gizmo is a combination that works !

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 12:42:11 pm »

Gizmo lets you stream music from your PC to your Android device.  It requires JRiver Media Center.

We've made some changes that appeared in build 57.  Our Android app is now available from the Android Market (search for Gizmo).  It's a free app there but it still requires MC15.

The app is no longer in the MC15 build.  It must be installed from the Market.

The WebPlay browser pages are now more tightly coupled to the app.  Just install the app and choose Browse Library.

If you've never used the Library Server access key, you'll need to generate one and use it.

More Information and Instructions on our Wiki.

Jim - Maybe I need to put the pipe down, but I cannot get Gizmo to connect.  WebPlay appears to be working just fine, so that tells me I have my firewall rules setup properly.  I've tried generating a new key as well, but no dice.

Thoughts???  Cheers...

Cary
aRCLiGHT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

Have you re-checked Webplay since you generated the new access key?

Is the Android's wireless connection turned on?

Try the wiki article on "Network Access".

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 02:23:36 pm »

Have you re-checked Webplay since you generated the new access key?

Is the Android's wireless connection turned on?

Try the wiki article on "Network Access".

Jim,

Looks like I may have a problem with my ISP!  I've just done some more testing to ensure my firewall rules are good (they are), but I am not able to access WebPlay from a remote site.  I can hit it internally with both the public & private IP's, but nothing from outside the ISP's network.  On the phone with them now to figure it out!

Thanks for the quick response!  Keeping my fingers crossed this will work soon.

Cheers...

Cary
aRCLiGHT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »

I can hit it internally with both the public & private IP's, but nothing from outside the ISP's network.  On the phone with them now to figure it out!
Your modem has two addresses.  From outside, you need to use the outside address.  See the Media Network article on our wiki for more.

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 02:38:29 pm »

Your modem has two addresses.  From outside, you need to use the outside address.  See the Media Network article on our wiki for more.

Unfortunately, it is actually more complex than that for my network.  I am on ground based wireless and by the time traffic gets inside my firewall, it's been triple NAT'ed.  However, it does appear that I have it working now.  Forgive me for not RTFM'ing, but is the Gizmo tools only job to establish a WebPlay connection via Android's browser?  I guess I assumed, possibly wrongly, that it was more than a simple web redirection utility.

Thanks again, Jim!  Cheers...

Cary
aRCLiGHT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »

Unfortunately, it is actually more complex than that for my network.  I am on ground based wireless and by the time traffic gets inside my firewall, it's been triple NAT'ed.  However, it does appear that I have it working now.  Forgive me for not RTFM'ing, but is the Gizmo tools only job to establish a WebPlay connection via Android's browser?  I guess I assumed, possibly wrongly, that it was more than a simple web redirection utility.
Gizmo is an Android app whose feature set is similar to WebPlay's.  Webplay is a browser app that should work on other OS's.

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:26 pm »

Gizmo is an Android app whose feature set is similar to WebPlay's.  Webplay is a browser app that should work on other OS's.

So, is the tool itself supposed to access the Library itself?  When I click Browse Library, it launches my browser and displays WebPlay.
aRCLiGHT

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

So, is the tool itself supposed to access the Library itself?  When I click Browse Library, it launches my browser and displays WebPlay.

They work together.

Gizmo uses a webpage to browse the library, and catches playback clicks to play natively in the app.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »

Correct.  That gives you access to your library.  Does it work?  Did you play anything?  Is there a problem?

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »

Correct.  That gives you access to your library.  Does it work?  Did you play anything?  Is there a problem?

Yes, it works!  It just surprised me when the tool asked to open a browser.  Not sure if this is something that can be skipped in the future and have this functionality directly in Gizmo.  But, just the fact that I can hit all my music remotely from my Droid is very cool.  Gizmo & Droid Incredible works!!!

Thanks!  Cheers...

Cary
aRCLiGHT

tuvx2

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:53 am »

Good app, but seems to be buggy. WebPlay works great at work, but on my Droid it Gizmo has delays between songs and seems to routinely stop playing. Other streaming radio stations, music, run smooth, so not sure it is a phone issue.

Also, is there any intent to allow creation of playlists with Gizmo? How 'bout an option to Add To Playing Now?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:51 am »

Good app, but seems to be buggy. WebPlay works great at work, but on my Droid it Gizmo has delays between songs and seems to routinely stop playing. Other streaming radio stations, music, run smooth, so not sure it is a phone issue.

Also, is there any intent to allow creation of playlists with Gizmo? How 'bout an option to Add To Playing Now?
Gizmo is pretty solid.  Your connection may not be.  It's possible that either your wireless connection or your phone connection may not have enough bandwidth.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:53 pm »

Seriously, I love this app, but I do have a request:  can you integrate the bluetooth transport controls?  I use my phone in the car ...
I've just checked with the latest version of Gizmo, 15.0.133.  Bluetooth controls work when used with a Motorola S9 headset and Gizmo.  Pretty neat.

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »

I am suddenly getting a new dialog when I start Gizmo (HTC EVO on wireless network):
Please enter the username and password for xxxxxxx.

I don't recall ever setting any username in MC15, and the IP address has not changed recently. I reset the key anyway and put that into Gizmo, but it still requests username and password. Am I missing something back in the host setup?
--
Don Day

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:30 pm »

I am suddenly getting a new dialog when I start Gizmo (HTC EVO on wireless network):
Please enter the username and password for xxxxxxx. ...

I found the related thread started earlier today that recommended a host update. My auto updater indicated that 15.0.95 was still current, but I've downloaded 15.0.142 and things are all good now. Quite a pothole there!
--
Don
--
Don Day

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

A quick Q on trying to workout what sort of Bandwidth using Gismo will take from the Mobile Phone plan:
1) Does MC transcode all Music Tracks to what ?? (eg is it say MP3@128kpbs)
2) Does it then download the song + start playing it OR is it streamed (eg if you lose connection do the song stop in the middle)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »

It's streamed, and I'm not sure what the bitrate is.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »

A quick Q on trying to workout what sort of Bandwidth using Gismo will take from the Mobile Phone plan:
1) Does MC transcode all Music Tracks to what ?? (eg is it say MP3@128kpbs)

A recent post from Matt:
Gizmo currently uses MP3 at 128 kbit/second, which is 16 KB/second = 56.3 MB/hr

So 2GB is about ~35.6 hours.

You can also use Wifi whever you're in range to save data usage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up