INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know how folders work with DLNA?  (Read 17335 times)

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
Does anyone know how folders work with DLNA?
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:32:59 pm »

I have DLNA working from MC15 ver 65 to my PS3.  However, when I go under VIDEO on the PS3, I see every single video from every possible different source which have been imported into MC15.  I can use the sort by filename or type, but what I want is to only see a list of folders with a subset of videos as I have them on my hard drive.  In other words, by folder.

I have tried to use the "Customize View" option in the DLNA options in MC15, but that appears to have no effect.  I click on "All Files (by name)" and create a new category.  I choose "File Path" and select my subfolder which I want to show up (H:\tvshows\cop show season 2).  Then OK, OK, OK, and I go to my PS3.  The PS3 now has a new subfolder under "All Files (by name)" however it is called "Unassigned" and it simply listed every single video from every source just as it did before.  It seems to have ignored the request to include the category for my folder.

Any help appreciated, I can't seem to find any DLNA tutorials on this.

DD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Does anyone know how folders work with DLNA?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:48:03 pm »

You might try tagging the files by Genre and Comment or similar.

Select a few files and right click, then choose "Library Tools" and then Fill Properties from Filename.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

Hi Jim,

I did a lot more research on this problem, and I understand it now.  The feature is missing from MC15 beta.  What is needed is the ability to pass the PC file system to the DLNA client.  Then it will work exactly the way I want it to.  I have tried a few other DLNA servers, and have found that they have this feature.  You can select either the default which passes directory information to the DLNA client as it sees fit (includes internet streams, generally sorts from whatever was imported as a single mass, etc.), or you can switch over to "File System" which passes over the directory tree as you have it configured on your DLNA server.  That is what I would like from MC15.

Right now, DLNA is working with MC15, but I see a sea of hundreds of vid files.  I can change the sort order, but I still get a list too long to properly deal with.  What I would like is to maintain my folder structure as I already have it on my PC.  Then I could just pick from the folder, and watch it on the PS3.  With this feature in place, I don't even have to tag anything, I just navigate the folder tree exactly as I do on my PC.

Thanks,
DD.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »

If you want a tree,
Media Network->Options->choose the dlna server->Customize views->click on audio, video or images->Click on Add (library item) name it folders->click Add on the right side->Choose the filepath button->Browse to the root folder you want to expose->click OK->click OK->click OK

The result, there is a browsable item called Folders under video with your sub folders. Only items in the MC database will show up when you view these via the renderer.

You could probably do this at the root level too (instead of under video) with the PS3 anyway.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »

Ok, thanks for responding.  I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

DD.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »

It works!  Great stuff, thanks for responding.  Exactly what I wanted.  All my folders now appear as on my HD.

If I can make a suggestion, this was a more or less hidden option that I would not have found on my own, in fact I am fairly certain I would not have found it without posting.  I suspect that many people moving to DLNA may have been using SMB shares in the past as I had, and would want to continue to use the same type of directory structure.  Could we make the ability to use Folders part of the UI instead of having to build a Library Item manually?

Thanks,
DD.

sawadee

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »

I would vote for this. I would not have found it either.

chthon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

If you want a tree,
Media Network->Options->choose the dlna server->Customize views->click on audio, video or images->Click on Add (library item) name it folders->click Add on the right side->Choose the filepath button->Browse to the root folder you want to expose->click OK->click OK->click OK

The result, there is a browsable item called Folders under video with your sub folders. Only items in the MC database will show up when you view these via the renderer.

You could probably do this at the root level too (instead of under video) with the PS3 anyway.

Thank you Bob!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;) I am searching 3 days for that feature. I thought it was a TV software problem and I had to wait for an upgrade.

For me this tip is so important and I thing it must be inside the MC help contents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up