INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New: FreeDB Support  (Read 10777 times)

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
New: FreeDB Support
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:55:11 pm »

1. NEW: FreeDB support. When a CD is not found at YADB, we now attempt to look it up at FreeDB.

Excellent news.
I tried to look up an album already in the database.
It wasn't found in YADB.
Might it be that FreeDB is only invoked when ripping a CD?
If so, I would appreciate if it is also used when looking up track already on HD as music comes from more sources then CD only.

[Edit by JimH -- Build 80 of MC15 added FreeDB support, thanks to JohnT.   FreeDB is automatically checked whenever MC doesn't find the CD in the YADB database.]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »

Excellent news.
It wasn't found in YADB.
If so, I would appreciate if it is also used when looking up track already on HD as music comes from more sources then CD only.

This is for disc-based lookups, when you have a CD in the drive.  No changes have been to the track-based lookup (which uses audio fingerprints).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:12 pm »

1. NEW: FreeDB support. When a CD is not found at YADB, we now attempt to look it up at FreeDB.

Thanks!

Excellent news.
It wasn't found in YADB.

It is not possible to use FreeDB for individual tracks. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to query a complete already ripped album. It is possible to create the FreeDB disc ID from the album files. This feature is e.g. in MP3tag.

FreeDB contains only albums that have been released on Audio CD.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »

FreeDB contains only albums that have been released on Audio CD.
Correct but the lookup is not limited to tracks on a physical CD
When I ripped my vinyl, I used MP3Tag to lookup manually the CD as there is often a close correspondence between LP and re-release on CD
When I download an album from the internet and it is badly tagged, I use the same trick
I do the same using WMP (Find info manual) as AMG is a better and more consistent source for classical music than FreeDB
WMP is able to do something MC can’t…….
Shouldn’t be the case

In my opinion the ideal MC should encompass  all the functionality of MP3Tag and dbPoweramp

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:27:27 pm »

MusicBrainz access costs cash most likely, which is what mp3tag, jaikoz, and others use I think for acoustic fingerprinting. Would be great to have that built into MC though.

You can use Player to get access to CDDB (gracenote) and then import .ini button in MC will pull the correct tags in.

Correct but the lookup is not limited to tracks on a physical CD
When I ripped my vinyl, I used MP3Tag to lookup manually the CD as there is often a close correspondence between LP and re-release on CD
When I download an album from the internet and it is badly tagged, I use the same trick
I do the same using WMP (Find info manual) as AMG is a better and more consistent source for classical music than FreeDB
WMP is able to do something MC can’t…….
Shouldn’t be the case

In my opinion the ideal MC should encompass  all the functionality of MP3Tag and dbPoweramp

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: New: FreeDB Support
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:10:25 pm »

MC has its own audio fingerprint method.  That's how Track lookup works.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:13:57 pm »

MC has its own audio fingerprint method.  That's how Track lookup works.
is the track information for that based mostly on user submission?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »

is the track information for that based mostly on user submission?

Yes.  The CD database and the track database have some crossover.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »

Yes.  The CD database and the track database have some crossover.
i tried the track lookup a while ago and it could not find some tracks from a record that did sell well enough to be expected in the trackinfo (i forgot what it was, was not my interest anyway). so just like i submitted all my covers and every cd that is not in yadb i tried to add all my music to track info lookup. but the same thing held me back as in the past. everytime i send a bunch, mc playback stalls and stops at the end of the song until it sended everything over.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 05:33:46 pm »

We'll check.  Thanks for uploading your track info.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:29:28 pm »

Thanks for uploading your track info.

I have 60,000 perfectly tagged music tracks that I could upload to your database but I'd first like to read about how it works and exactly what data is transferred. Can you point me to a link?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

I have 60,000 perfectly tagged music tracks that I could upload to your database but I'd first like to read about how it works and exactly what data is transferred. Can you point me to a link?
+1
I see semi-frequent complaints about YADB around here (and made some myself when I first started with MC). Some of those woes might be aided if there was a more complete understanding among users as to what happens when you hit the "submit to database" button. Are there content guidelines? Does my self-generated genre system muck things up? Like rjm, I'd be happy to upload the metadata that I've built if I had half a clue as to what happens.
-JB

Vincent Kars

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:32 am »

Uploaded 23178 tracks to YADB
Selected a track and did a 'Lookup from online database'
The result was the usual one: 'File information was retrieved for 0 of 1 files'
Wonders where the uploaded information goes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:31:02 am »

everytime i send a bunch, mc playback stalls and stops at the end of the song until it sended everything over.

Coming in a future build:
Changed: Submitting track information to YADB runs in a background thread with progress in the Action Window (previously it would block the program).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:04 am »

Uploaded 23178 tracks to YADB
Selected a track and did a 'Lookup from online database'
The result was the usual one: 'File information was retrieved for 0 of 1 files'
Wonders where the uploaded information goes.

You can submit YADB track info only if also the source Audio CD is in the database. I think this changed about two years ago (*).

I verified this with a track from a CD that was not in YADB or FreedB. I uploaded track info, created a tagless copy of the file (outside MC), and tried to download track info a few times during the next two hours. It did not work. Then I submitted the CD and also uploaded track info for all tracks. Immediately after that the track info lookup started to work fine.

(*) EDIT:

If you'd like, you can post the incorrect example here. The YADB data has consistently been getting better, I'd be interested in seeing cases where it is not doing well.

CD submission is handled automatically, though it certainly doesn't hurt to do it manually.

Track submission is still only manual, and is restricted to tracks appearing on CDs in the database.
To phrase it a different way: you can only submit individual tracks that match a CD in the database.
If the CD title (of the track) is spelled differently enough, or worse, not there, the track will not be accepted.

j

EDIT 2

Probabaly the old track info system that was based only on audio fingerprints didn't provide any means to verify the incoming submissions. When two or more separately submitted tracks had the same fingerprint and different tag data the system had no way to know which one should be stored.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vincent Kars

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:31:00 am »

Thanks for the clarification
Guess I stick to dbPoweramp for my occasional rips as hand typing is not my cup of tea

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:35 am »

I also tested a CD that was in Freedb but not yet in YADB. The Freedb lookup worked fine.

reinhars

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »

Hi all,

for me it would be a nice idea to have a universal interface with following features:

1) connection to any database which a user prefers (freedb, yadb, wiki, etc.)
2) universal interface to map information in database with fields in mc
3) customizable search order for look up in mc

...and... if anyone is really thinking of realization...

Why not using this mechanism for the video database as well (because the search for movies in wiki is not really successfull, specially if you are not located in the US!!). So, there is allways trouble with informations for CDs and DVD in the rest of the world.

Maybe someone sees this as an issue and put it to the feature list....

I really would appreciate this

Reiner

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:47:21 am »

Thanks for your thoughts on this Reiner.  Do you have any ideas for supporting international titles better?  For DVD lookup, please provide some example movies that are poorly handled currently and an available database or website that would handle these better.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:53 am »

FYI - First CD I ripped in MC for ages & it was a tough one - an Oz Pop Compilation ("so fresh, the hits of winter 2010") and I must say it worked pretty well.  Got all the meta data, just had to edit the title a bit, then track down the coverart and then embed it in the tags.  Even I can handle that level of editing!

Well done JR!  I'll be ripping in MC from now on.
Thanks
Nathan
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 02:51:49 am »

Good to hear that it works for you.

Since you are now "back" in the ripping business, would you mind testing your secure ripping speed too?

Especially I 'd like to see results from the current SATA drives since I am going to buy one soon.
The sites that publish drive tests don't usually test the audio extraction speed in a re-read capable secure mode.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59038

dcwebman

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:56:30 am »

just had to edit the title a bit, then track down the coverart and then embed it in the tags.
Same thing with me yesterday. I had a download album and had to "track down" that cover art since YADB didn't have a good version of it. But as mentioned in previous threads, I had to rename the title first so it would show me anything initially and then rename back again. The cover art feature needs just a bit of tweaking so we can type our own name in if needed.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up