INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I copy tags from mp3 files when re-ripping in flac???  (Read 3451 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Can I copy tags from mp3 files when re-ripping in flac???
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »

I originally ripped all my files in mp3 and have since added many tags (i.e. genre, filenames, custom fields etc).  Now, I want to re-rip in flac but I would like to keep (or easily copy) the tags from the mp3 files.  Is there a way to have all the fields/tags transferred to the new CD or group of files, or is there at least a way I can select the mp3 files from one CD and tell it which fields/tags to copy and then paste those fields into the new flac files for the same CD??

Also, is there any easy way to have the newly ripped flac files go to the same locations as their respective mp3 files - considering that I have manually organized many of them over the past few years?   I already know it would be easy if I had used something like [artist]\[album] consistently when ripping, but I used different rules depending on the kind of CD.  Any ideas??

Thank you very much!
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I copy tags from mp3 files when re-ripping in flac???
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

The problem with the various workarounds (aside from way too many steps) is the assumption that an album is involved. Most of my tracks do not have albums, and are named and located with a complex expression based on tags, so difficult to do the same to a new, untagged file. My bad, except it's the right arrangement for my large library.

Also, some techniques assume a different file type (flac replacing mp3, for instance) but sometimes the replacement is of the same type, improved in other ways (I routinely edit live recordings to remove everything but the music, for instance).

What is needed is the very simple ability to right-click on the filename field of a database record (track), get a file open dialog, and select a new file to assign to the database record. Roughly the same as can be done with cover art.

Two ideal options:

A file selection dialog check box to auto-update the file from the database so it gets tagged immediately and fully (or, if not a tag-embeddable format, this creates a sidebar file).

A check box to rename/move the new file per the current Rename settings.

If this process could be done on arbitrary selected records (batches) it would be a fantastic, fast, simple way to update/improve libraries.

AND -- this method ASSURES that no data is lost, regardless of what tags can be embedded/sidebarred, because it preserves the exact original database record regardless of what media file type might be attached to it.

I think this is an essential MC path to take -- treat the database as primary, not the media files. In fact, MC is already on this path -- the database knows about cover art but the cover art doesn't know about the database, sidebar files are used when embedded is not possible, the database can have a record that points to a file on removable media, etc. Just make it "official" and then fill in the various operational gaps (such as, allow a database record even if there is no associated media file... long requested).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »

MusicHawk -- I wasn't sure if these were suggestions for me or for a MC15 upgrade... can you explain... thanks!

I thought the find/replace option sounded good for replacing only .mp3 with .flac, however the biggest problem here is that when I originally ripped many of these CD's into MC13 the CD's were not recognized by YADB so no information was downloaded - I had to type it all in manually.  So, if I try to re-rip again as flac the CD is still not recognized and neither the filename or album will match to the mp3 files because of this.  I sure hope there's a solution for this.  Any ideas??

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »

Sorry to confuse, I was reacting to the link that describes a complex method of doing what really should be simple, if only MC allowed direct database replacement of the attached file by selecting a new file. But this is not (yet) possible.

Simplifying one of the workarounds to simulate this: Give the new flac file the same name as the original mp3 file (other than the extension) and put it in the same folder. Then go to that record in the database and edit the filename extension from mp3 to flac. Since you are still using the original database record, all the data will remain untouched, and the record will now point to the new file. If you then want the database tags written to the new file, select Update tags from library. (I do this as a sort of backup; I don't really care about tags in files, since MC is my master database.)

The suggestion to use Find+Replace applies if you replace a bunch of a files at a time; you can then change the filename extension of all their database records with one Find+Replace.

The painful part is giving the new files exactly the correct names. Some of the workarounds provide ways to do this via MC. Another way is to manually rename the file (via Explorer or other file manager) by copying the filename from MC, pasting it in, then editing the extension portion.

Determining the "best" of these workarounds depends on how many files must be processed, how they are named and located, whether it is feasible to rename/move them to facilitate the process, etc. This complexity is why I described a hoped-for enhancement that's been on various wish lists for some time.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:32 pm »

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing.  I don't think there is a "pretty" way to do it without a lot of steps.  Here is what I'm doing which is similar to the link above:

1) Rip the CDs to FLAC using a different library other than your main one while ripping to a different directory with the filename as simply the "Track #" (type in the Album and Artist to match your current Library if it doesn't download it).
2) Load your main library and select the files you have ripped and want to update.
3) Right-click and select "Rename, Move, & Copy files".
4) Select "Update database to point to new location" (important so that it doesn't try to move the old files), check "Directories" and set up rules to match the ripping, check "Filename" with rule "Track #", check "Find & Replace" and use ".mp3" for Find what and ".flac" for Replace With.  Select ok.
5) Right-click the files and select "Library Tools|Update Tags (from Library)".  It is important to do this first so you don't lose all your tags you added to the MP3s.
6) Right-click the files and select "Library Tools|Update Library (from tags).

I actually have some additional steps to deal with embedded cover art but this is working pretty well for me.  You can then update the filenames with more information if just the Track # is insufficient.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:28 pm »

Hi cncb... I tried your method several times and all went well until I did the update (on the recently ripped flac files)...MC15 was unable to play the flac files after they were relocated/updated.  Then, when I tried Update Tags from Library I got all errors.  I had to do a rename and put them all back in the temp directory where I ripped them to.

However, I have been experimenting with the following method, which is still cumbersome but seems to get the job done - especially when the CD isn't recognized by YADB:

1) In each of the respective .mp3 and .flac folders for the same album, I highlight all files and Rename  the "Filename (name)" to exactly the same - such as [Track#] or something simple... (click on Tools>Libary Tools>Rename, Move & Copy Files to do the rename)

2) In MC15 I select all of the .mp3 files and do a Tools>Library Tools>Find/Replace (.mp3/.flac), which renames all .mp3's to .flac's.  

3) Then in Windows Explorer I open two windows - one for each folder and I copy the flac files into the .mp3 directory overwriting all the original files.

4) Back in MC15, I highlight all the new flac files and click on Tools>Update Tags from Library, then Tools>Update Library from Tags.  

5) When all is done, I highlight the new .flac files and click on Library>Rename, Move & Copy Files>Filename (revert to whatever rule you were using before).  

6) Highlight and delete original .flac files and that were imported into temp file making sure to also remove from disk (these should appear as duplicates).  

That seems to do the trick just perfect - all tags were coppied over except  Intensity, Peak Level & Replay Gain. I'm not sure if these are significant or not. Can anyone tell me if these fields have any affect or impact on my music? Any comments would be appreciated...  I sure hope there will be an MC15 upgrade to make this easier in the not to distant future!!

Does this method sound like it worked okay, or is there still a faster/better way?

Thank you,
Susie

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:03:16 am »

Susie,

If it's working for you, I would just go with it.  There is no easy way to do it.

For my method, I am ripping to the final directory not a temporary one.  The "Update database to point to new location" in the "Rename, Move, & Copy" dialog does not move the files so I rip to a (final) directory with "[Artist] - [Album]" as the naming rule and use this same rule in "Directories" in the "Rename, Move, & Copy" dialog so that the files can be found in the updated location.

Replay Gain is used if you are doing Volume Leveling for playback and can be recalculated (along with Peak Level) easily with "Library Tools | Analyze Audio" for the selected files.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:09 am »

Maybe I'm missing the point here but I posed the same question regarding transferring tags about a week ago. I was advised to stack the files and use clean file properties. Works great for me. If you want to look at my workflow, let me know.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:41 pm »

Maybe I'm missing the point here but I posed the same question regarding transferring tags about a week ago. I was advised to stack the files and use clean file properties. Works great for me. If you want to look at my workflow, let me know.

Hi Sherbs... yes please... I want to see any and all possiblities that might make this process less cumbersome.

Thank you very much!
susie

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »

Supposing I have an album in my library that I want to upgrade from mp3 to flac and then transfer all the tags from the mp3s to the flacs.

First import the flacs, then go to recently imported (should open when you import anyway)
At this stage the only info I need in the flacs is the title of the track and album name
Right click on a file and select locate>album
In the new window I now see the mp3 and flac albums
Sort by name so that each mp3 is paired with it's flac equivalent
Select all
Right click and move down to Stacks>Advanced
Select autostack files by name, which will give you the option to select which file type is on top, select mp3
I now see only the mp3s and the flacs are underneath
With all files still selected, right click>library tools>clean file properites
In the CFP dialogue, I deselect all the stuff on the right and on the left select every field I want to transfer over
Click OK
Right click files>Stacks>Unstack
Check flacs
Delete mp3s, rename, move & copy flacs to original folder, quick find cover art
Done

Seems quite long winded as I’m typing it but is quite quick in practice. I use the same method for single files by an artist by using locate>artist in the import window.
One thing to watch out for is that when you stack the files the window can get messed up due to MC changing the search from album/artist to anything. If you’re album/artist is a common word, you can end up with a lot more stuff in there. MC will also revert your sort back to the default. No matter, if this happens re-locate artist/album and re-sort by name to get back where you were.

This method will also overwrite any tags that are already present in the flacs

I’d suggest trying it out on one or two files first to see how it works for you

Hope that was clear enough
Pages: [1]   Go Up