INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasapi Exclusive - click /pop with dCS - update [solved]  (Read 3925 times)

murrayp

• Recent member
Wasapi Exclusive - click /pop with dCS - update [solved]
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:26:20 am »

Hi,

I started an earlier thread here relating to hassles I've had in getting MC Wasapi Exclusive Mode running to a dCS Paganini USB / up-sampler without annoying clicks and pops.  The latest versions of MC15 seem to reduce this, but problems remained and pretty much everything pointed finally to my Vaio laptop.  I've recently moved to a ASUS EB1501 as a dedicated music server, and guess what ......same story.  **!  

A latency checker program (recommended to me on this forum some time back by Vincent Kars I think? - anyway, thanks - http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml ) did seem to correlate my remaining rather occasional clicks with periods of high latency.

About half way down the above web page, they suggest possible solutions, disabling devices one by one in the device manager until you find the likely offending device - (sounds dramatic - probably it is - don't disable anything critical!), and sure enough once I disabled the wireless network adapter, the latency issue disappeared and the pops/clicks are gone...... at last.

Of course there is no network access now, but for my music server that isn't critical, and can be turned back on when needed.

There are a few other critical points to make it go of course - these are largely covered elsewhere - here are the critical ones that I recall:

- the USB device in the (Windows Control panel) Sound panel must be set up for Exclusive access,

- in MC Tools/options/audio output, select Wasapi, and in output mode settings the buffer must be set to minimum (50ms) and don't select "Present  24 bit data in a 32 bit package.....",

- in MC Tools/options/settings, DSP, select "Output format", and set bitdepth to 24bit

- in MC Tools/options/settings - select play files from memory (may not help the clicks but I think it sounds better here)

- Also make sure your computer is set to "high performance" in the power options

Anyway, having done all this on the tiny ASUS EB1501, it manages to run very well even while running the extra load of VST room correction.  Well, the odd issue still comes up (much more rarely) - but hey, it is just little computer and nothing is perfect .....:-)
......................hoping this helps anyone with similar issues.

Murray

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wasapi Exclusive - click /pop with dCS - update [solved]
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:06:37 am »

Thanks very much for reporting the solution.  I've added it to the "Weird Problems" thread.

Updating the driver might solve it.

BushPilot

• Recent member
Re: Wasapi Exclusive - click /pop with dCS - update [solved]
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:36 pm »

Hi,

I started an earlier thread here relating to hassles I've had in getting MC Wasapi Exclusive Mode running to a dCS Paganini USB / up-sampler without annoying clicks and pops.  The latest versions of MC15 seem to reduce this, but problems remained and pretty much everything pointed finally to my Vaio laptop.  I've recently moved to a ASUS EB1501 as a dedicated music server, and guess what ......same story.  **!  

A latency checker program (recommended to me on this forum some time back by Vincent Kars I think? - anyway, thanks - http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml ) did seem to correlate my remaining rather occasional clicks with periods of high latency.

About half way down the above web page, they suggest possible solutions, disabling devices one by one in the device manager until you find the likely offending device - (sounds dramatic - probably it is - don't disable anything critical!), and sure enough once I disabled the wireless network adapter, the latency issue disappeared and the pops/clicks are gone...... at last.

Of course there is no network access now, but for my music server that isn't critical, and can be turned back on when needed.

There are a few other critical points to make it go of course - these are largely covered elsewhere - here are the critical ones that I recall:

- the USB device in the (Windows Control panel) Sound panel must be set up for Exclusive access,

- in MC Tools/options/audio output, select Wasapi, and in output mode settings the buffer must be set to minimum (50ms) and don't select "Present  24 bit data in a 32 bit package.....",

- in MC Tools/options/settings, DSP, select "Output format", and set bitdepth to 24bit

- in MC Tools/options/settings - select play files from memory (may not help the clicks but I think it sounds better here)

- Also make sure your computer is set to "high performance" in the power options

Anyway, having done all this on the tiny ASUS EB1501, it manages to run very well even while running the extra load of VST room correction.  Well, the odd issue still comes up (much more rarely) - but hey, it is just little computer and nothing is perfect .....:-)
......................hoping this helps anyone with similar issues.

Murray

I too had similar issues with my benchmark dac. I now have it set up much like you have for your dac. The solution for wireless connection for me was to go into my router: Basic Wireless Settings and change the Wireless Channel settings from default settings. I used channel 6 -2.437GHz. Problems and click and pops problem solved. That was two years ago and everything is rock solid now.  Just a suggestion.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up