INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Recording, theater view & EPG issues/requests  (Read 2665 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV Recording, theater view & EPG issues/requests
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:49 am »

Firstly thank you for "relaxing" the view for TV recordings in Theater View it has increased the WAF ten fold!

But there are still a few issues that I ahve that would improve the  WAF even more... (these are all things possble using my other scheduling s/w)

1)  From theater View there is no easy way of viewing the EPG or scheduling a recording on a future day.  For example it's Monday and I want to schedule something I've just seen a promo for that runs on Friday.
I think we need a weekly view somehow, if we can't have a nice grid layout then maybe a tree structure so we can browse by day & channel  and also I guess search for a program name.

2) The is no way of scheduling a subscription from within theater view, even if this has less options that standard view I think we need to be able to set a recording as a subscription.

3) The Live TV channel list shows ALL channels, could there be an option for this to only show the Favourite channels like when using the OSD?

4) I'd like to group types of recordings (Kids, NEWS, music etc) so need the ability to set at least one optional tag when setting up a recording.

5) If I have a program set to record when it's highlighted in Theater View the button still says "Record" this should really change to "Cancel Recording" ... more user friendly.

6) There isn't the option of toggling the TV recordings view to give a larger thumbnail view, she prefers the thumbnal view when browsing by Program Name.

7) I can't schedule a recording remotely from a browser or mobile phone. (although I can I assume if I have a LS client runnign remotely).  Could the webplay functionality extend to TV scheduling??  

So I think MC TV recording has come a long way, especially with the library server change but there are a few things that make it hard for me to move over ... much as I'd really like to if I can!

Thanks
Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: TV Recording, theater view & EPG issues/requests
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:06 am »

How about something like what Media Portal does:

JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:02 am »

TVScheduler does it like this, simple but it works.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:09 am »

Ooooo same blue...
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:08 pm »

Most of your suggestions center around exposing more control over scheduling of recordings from Theater View.

Personally most all of my recordings, except for sports, are subscriptions.  I set subscriptions up once in Standard View and change them less than once a month.  Are other people doing a lot more subscription management?

Regardless, I agree it would be nice to make it more couch-friendly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:33 pm »

Now that you can maintain subscriptions/recordings via Library Server it is less important to have this in Theater View but I agree that it would be nice to have.

Along with Richard's list two other items that would be critical for my family would be:

1) Ability to delete recordings via Library Server (actually delete them from disk instead of just from from library).
2) Some kind of large graphical time/progress bar at the bottom of Display View to show where you are in the recording or live program (instead of just the numbers as has been discussed before).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »

Personally most all of my recordings, except for sports, are subscriptions.  I set subscriptions up once in Standard View and change them less than once a month.  Are other people doing a lot more subscription management?

I'd agree, that most recordings are subscriptins and once set are often just left and never touched again.

But what tends to happen here is the wife will be watching a TV show and a promo will come up for a show and she says "oop I want to record that" so she jumps straight into the TV Scheduling software , goes to the correct day, selects the TV Show and selects the "recurring recording" button on the screen.   Done subscription set and ready.

So the ability to browse the EPG by Day/date and just a new roller option "Record subscription" with a set of options for which type of subscription (Daily, every day etc) would cover this. (all the other options could be left at default)

Richard

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:59:59 pm »

Now that you can maintain subscriptions/recordings via Library Server it is less important to have this in Theater View but I agree that it would be nice to have.

Along with Richard's list two other items that would be critical for my family would be:

1) Ability to delete recordings via Library Server (actually delete them from disk instead of just from from library).
2) Some kind of large graphical time/progress bar at the bottom of Display View to show where you are in the recording or live program (instead of just the numbers as has been discussed before).

I agree with all of this, but especially want to second the request to allow full deletion from the disc from a remote client.

As Matt said, adding recordings or subscriptions is a somewhat rare/infrequent task, but after I watch something I usually want to delete it, and that happens all the time.  I would argue that this would be more valuable than setting up recordings (but please don't take that away from us :))
pretend this is something funny

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:19 am »

I too have a requirement to be able to add, edit and remove "subscriptions" on the fly via a remote in Theater View and over the web (WebPlay).

I also prefer the more common EPG grid layout with channel logos etc (as per the screen shot above) but I won't go there as this has been suggested many times before.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:33:27 am »

Here's our present TV usage situation with another PVR software. I do 'tech support' setting up and maintaining the system. My wife does not touch the computer - she does everything with a remote and the TV screen. She periodically scrolls through the onscreen EPG and sets up future recordings, sometimes for several days in advance. Since we record mostly movies and only a few weekly type shows this can't be a 'set & forget' subscription entry as others have mentioned. We sometimes will delete scheduled recordings at the TV (Never from the Server) and will often delete recordings from the TV that we have just watched.

I don't want her to go near our HTPC, nor does she, and that's why MC with Theater View is working so well for Audio and Video. But until the above can be done in MC I just can't consider making the switch.

Also these functions need to be done at the TV connected to the HTPC, but our TV card (future multiples) is in our WHS Server.

Thanks for asking about what we would like.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up