INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Last.fm radio and scrobbling in build 99  (Read 22817 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Last.fm radio and scrobbling in build 99
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »

Tonight's build, 15.0.99, introduces native Last.fm support.  It can scrobble your tracks as our plug-in did.  It can also play a "radio" station based on an artist you enter.  More options will follow.

For now, you'll find it under the Player menu/Play Last.fm radio.  It may move in a future build.

In this build, the Last.fm appearance in the tree is only decorative.  You must use the Player menu.

You also need a subscription account with Last.fm.  It costs $3/month.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Last.fm radio and scrobbling in build 99
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:40 am »

Interesting...

3GBP or 3USD? I chose USD and got a pound off, subscription paid £1.99 for 31 days. How this progresses will determine whether or not I go for 62 days!

So far, so good.

Are we going to be able to pick a station to play as well as specify a seed artist?
I'd like to be able to have a shortcut that just played a specific channel when I hit play, rather than stop and ask me for input before playing.

I see the pause button is removed during radio play. It looks quite ugly, almost bug-like. Is it possible to just fade it out a bit?

Firefox is my default browser.
MC keeps forgetting that it's an authenticated application and allowed to access my account. It keeps popping the "authenticate" page at me, usually after an MC restart.
It's never once asked for a username or password either... where's it getting that from, Firefox?

-marko

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:35:49 am »

Cool, I took a 1 month 3 € subscription to test, working fine so far.

A few suggestions (maybe they are planned already :-) )

- Show somewhere where the progress bar is shown that LAST.FM radio is playing so we now the difference between webplay or local play
- Make it also a toolbar button (same request for Radio option)
- Like mentioned in thread above to be able to seed from your local library (like Radio is working now)

Thx already for this nice feature
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:37:48 am »

I've not had time to play with this.  What format/bitrate is used?
Thanks
Nathan
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:39:03 am »

128 kbps mp3.

How about, if there's a lossless copy of the file about to be served available locally, play that instead, then ask last.fm for the next file!!

-marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:32:16 am »

Hmm...  So "Player > Play Last.Fm Radio..."  replaces the last.fm plugin? I don't want to play radio. I want to only scrobble. Is it still possible?

The plug-in won't be needed.  I'm not sure if it has to be turned off now.

The plugin is off, Play Last.fm Radio is ticked. Nothing happens, except that some tracks in Playing Now are now marked with strikethrough and that the last.fm site (in regular a web browser) asked for permission to add "JRiver" to applications. "JRiver media software" is now listed in "connected applications" there. The played tracks are not scrobbled and I can't see any user interface for the last.fm settings inside MC.

A screenshot is attached. Log in to the forum if you can't see it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:53:44 am »

I left the plugin enabled and it's still scrobbling tracks as normal.

The mp3 stream is rather quiet though, is that a stream thing, or a system thing?
Audio output is set to use Creative ASIO here.

It would seem that when starting last.fm radio, Playing Now needs to be empty, otherwise, the play/pause button disappears, and MC starts playing the tracks currently in Playing Now.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

It is waiting until the end end of song to scrobble it.  It should be sending it when 50% of the track has been listened to.
The plugin triggered at 50%, which is correct behavior based on the last.fm standard.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:25 am »

So you can scrobble without the old plugin? How do you enable it? How do you configure it (passwords, file types, etc...) ?

The last.fm plugin for foobar uses the following rule:
50% or 4 minutes, whichever comes first.
And the song needs to be 30 seconds or longer.
I am not saying that these values are correct or optimal, but I assume they are based on last.fm's recommendations.

EDIT

3.1 When to Submit

The client should monitor the user's interaction with the music playing service to whatever extent the service allows. In order to qualify for submission all of the following criteria must be met:

The track must be submitted once it has finished playing. Whether it has finished playing naturally or has been manually stopped by the user is irrelevant.

The track must have been played for a duration of at least 240 seconds or half the track's total length, whichever comes first. Skipping or pausing the track is irrelevant as long as the appropriate amount has been played.

The total playback time for the track must be more than 30 seconds. Do not submit tracks shorter than this.  ...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:44:17 am »

So how do I get MaximumTV, Last.fm, and Pandora out of the tree? They don't show up in General-Features and I don't have the last.fm plugin installed.
Jeff

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

So how do I get MaximumTV, Last.fm, and Pandora out of the tree? They don't show up in General-Features and I don't have the last.fm plugin installed.

Settings for that will be in a future build.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »

Since I have no idea of how the new interface is going to work, here is how I would like to see the old plugin developed:

1. a quick ON/OFF switch with some kind of status indicator
2. a possibility to store more than one username & password
3. a possibility to quickly activate any stored user account

The reasons to request these features are obvious when an HTPC has many users. Some members of the family may have personal last.fm accounts, some not.

In addition, a quick ON/OFF switch would be useful when files are played for testing purposes (i.e when the user doesn't want to affect the last.fm statistics) and to prevent the "last.fm trash" from appearing in log files.

A screenshot is attached. Log in to the forum if you can't see it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 01:46:00 pm »

You turn scrobbling on and off here:
Player > Playing Now > Scrobble 'Listening To'
(also available in the view header menu of Playing Now or right-click on Playing Now in the tree)

The plug-in should be disabled or you will double-Scrobble.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 02:44:17 pm »

(also available in the view header menu of Playing Now or right-click on Playing Now in the tree)

The plug-in should be disabled or you will double-Scrobble.
i have left the plugin all the time, and nothing got double scrobbled ( i just checked again, since that was already the question since last friday)... turning the plug in off will stop scrobling....

:)
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

No one said anything about Player > Playing Now >... until now.  :(

Apparently this new system doesn't provide any user interface, controls, & feedback.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 03:22:37 pm »

No one said anything about Player > Playing Now >... until now.  :(

Sorry.  It was in the history:
NEW: Added Last.fm scrobbling (Menu > Player > Playing Now > Scrobble 'Listening To'...).

We may add some UI.  First we just want to get it working reasonably well.

gappie

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »

No one said anything about Player > Playing Now >... until now.  :(

Apparently this new system doesn't provide any user interface, controls, & feedback.
indeed now i understand what matt mend.. so i have been testing this since friday with with these questions and answers http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59251.msg400432#msg400432 without any feedback and assuming it had to be on... ah well.. need a break..

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:54 pm »

indeed now i understand what matt mend.. so i have been testing this since friday with with these questions and answers http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59251.msg400432#msg400432 without any feedback and assuming it had to be on... ah well.. need a break..

We've been focussed on web page changes.  It's taken several days.  We're about finished.

gappie

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 03:44:02 pm »

We've been focussed on web page changes.  It's taken several days.  We're about finished.
ofcource jim, and it looks nice. but the question has been raised since friday, in the previous link and as from your comment
The plug-in won't be needed.  I'm not sure if it has to be turned off now.

The locations will move.

it is about some questions on this board about how this new thing works. not about the next build.
and i did test it using radio and stuff assuming i should leave the plug on.. based on the questions and answers here and from my own experience. just now i heard i did it wrong. :(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

Sorry.  It was in the history:
NEW: Added Last.fm scrobbling (Menu > Player > Playing Now > Scrobble 'Listening To'...).

We may add some UI.  First we just want to get it working reasonably well.

I see.

How does the user authentication work?  Does MC use some kind of a locally stored token? As a test, I removed the "JRiver" application from my last.fm account settings. Despite that scrobbling continues to work. What will happen when I play files on various PCs and in different locations?

Also, as I said, when a single PC/MC instance has many users it would be essential to be able to switch between different accounts.

EDIT

On the plus side, the new system can scrobble also cue tracks. (Cue tracks don't work at all with the old plugin.)

gappie

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

since i know now  ::)
i think one of the things that was nice about the 'old' plug was that you could exclude files. i doubt last fm is happy (i sure am not) with some of the crap studio files i play getting scrobled. and no im not gonna remember to turn it of and on all the time.

btw.. having both on scrobbles double indeed

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »

I too play lots of stuff that I don't want to scrobble: audio test files, files that are not yet tagged properly, personal recordings, etc. An easily accessible ON/OFF switch with a visual indicator would do the trick for me.

gappie

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »

im just happy for now with the old plug.. works nicely with the new lastfm radio.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 02:57:33 am »

I tried the Player--> Play Last FM Radio did all the registration stuff etc but it failed as I was not a Subscriber....So I went to my LastFM account via the Connected Media --> Last.fm browser and added 3 months for A$11.  I can play the Radio in the Connected Media-->LastFM Web Page but I still get a "This feature is only available to Last.fm subscribers" - how do I update MC to recognise I'm a "subscriber"?
Thanks
Nathan

EDIT - Deleted MC as an app from my LastFM setup - that did not make a change....

gappie

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 08:46:21 am »

what does the new last fm do when a submission fails. it looks like it wont try again. right? shouldnt it, its something the old plug does and what seems to be necessary.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 09:54:32 am »

I tried the Player--> Play Last FM Radio did all the registration stuff etc but it failed as I was not a Subscriber....So I went to my LastFM account via the Connected Media --> Last.fm browser and added 3 months for A$11.  I can play the Radio in the Connected Media-->LastFM Web Page but I still get a "This feature is only available to Last.fm subscribers" - how do I update MC to recognise I'm a "subscriber"?
Thanks
Nathan

EDIT - Deleted MC as an app from my LastFM setup - that did not make a change....

Remove all settings that start with "Last.fm - " here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 15\Properties

Then restart and try again.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 04:04:09 pm »

Thanks - that did it!

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 03:15:19 am »

Yes, thanks Matt.  That was stumping me until I saw this post.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 03:48:45 am »

Tonight's build, 15.0.99, introduces native Last.fm support.  It can scrobble your tracks as our plug-in did.  It can also play a "radio" station based on an artist you enter.  More options will follow.

For now, you'll find it under the Player menu/Play Last.fm radio.  It may move in a future build.

In this build, the Last.fm appearance in the tree is only decorative.  You must use the Player menu.

You also need a subscription account with Last.fm.  It costs $3/month.

What great news! Thank you for responding to our rekindled interest to have native Last.FM support!

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:43 am »

My wife have last.fm subscription, nice news for us, thanks

robydago

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 04:26:53 pm »

Just subscribed to last.fm

I love to be able to play last.fm inside MC!!

I hope JR will add a UI with more customization\options very soon.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

Coming in build 103 and later:
NEW: Last.fm playback allows playing tag radio, top fans radio, neighbors radio, loved radio, etc.
NEW: Last.fm remembers the last several stations used, and automatically fills in the last used station when picking 'Play Last.fm Radio...'.
NEW: Added real-time Last.fm scrobbling to show what is currently playing (must enable scrobbling here: Player > Playing Now > Scrobble 'Listening To').

gappie

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »

seems like nice additions...  8)

gab

Peter-99

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

I tried the Player--> Play Last FM Radio did all the registration stuff etc but it failed as I was not a Subscriber....So I went to my LastFM account via the Connected Media --> Last.fm browser and added 3 months for A$11.  I can play the Radio in the Connected Media-->LastFM Web Page but I still get a "This feature is only available to Last.fm subscribers" - how do I update MC to recognise I'm a "subscriber"?
Thanks
Nathan

Remove all settings that start with "Last.fm - " here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 15\Properties

Then restart and try again.

This did it for me too, but also had an impact on my DFX Audio Enhancer plug in. While DFX is still active, it does no longer seem to process any sound. After reinstalling Build 95 the problem was gone, any further upgrade to Build 101 resulted in the identical fault.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:05 pm »

... also had an impact on my DFX Audio Enhancer plug in. While DFX is still active, it does no longer seem to process any sound. After reinstalling Build 95 the problem was gone, any further upgrade to Build 101 resulted in the identical fault.
This was probably the change to 64bit datapath, and the problem should be fixed in build 102, not yet public:

8. Fixed: DFX plugin was not working properly since the switch to a 64-bit audio path (DFX operates on 32-bit data).

Peter-99

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

Thanks - that should do it, as I have Windows 7,64 bit, running  :)

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 06:11:42 pm »

Couple of posts above caught my eye that may be good:
1) Scrobbling Control - we used to be able to use MC Filters to exclude/include what gets Scrobbled but this seems to be lost with the new method
2) Play Local File - like with the Library Server Client "Play local file if one that matches...." may be a good thing to both save some bandwidth and play a higher quality version

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:37 am »

since i know now  ::)
i think one of the things that was nice about the 'old' plug was that you could exclude files. i doubt last fm is happy (i sure am not) with some of the crap studio files i play getting scrobled. and no im not gonna remember to turn it of and on all the time.

Matt asked elsewhere about the kind of filters being used with the old plugin...

For me, the beauty of the old plugin was that you could craft any MC search string you desired, and if the file matched, it got scrobbled, and if not, it didn't.
Personally, I didn't get too clever with mine, "-[genre]=children r=>=3" more or less took care of things for me.

-marko.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 01:28:35 am »

I used a filter (like below) that was designed to scrobble Music Videos as well (eg it included other file types then excluded Genres I did not want to scrobble...you had to add the last bit or these other video files would also be scrobbled)

Filetype=[mp3],[wav],[ogg],[flac],[ape],[mpc],[wma],[wv],[mpg] -g=[Movies],[TV Series],[TV Recordings],[Home Videos]

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

FYI - I tried using the new plug-in from multiple PC's to the same LastFM account at the same time:
1) Scrobbing works fine - you get both tracks scrobbled
2) Playing Radio - this does not work!  As you would expect, this really is designed for streaming to one PC at a time.  You get all sorts of funny errors when track change comes. 

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 03:07:23 am »

Coming in build 103 and later:
NEW: Last.fm playback allows playing tag radio, top fans radio, neighbors radio, loved radio, etc.
NEW: Last.fm remembers the last several stations used, and automatically fills in the last used station when picking 'Play Last.fm Radio...'.
NEW: Added real-time Last.fm scrobbling to show what is currently playing (must enable scrobbling here: Player > Playing Now > Scrobble 'Listening To').

Waow! It's a great integration. Really nice work. I love it.

Sheugel

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 03:16:35 am »

FYI here is the modified filter that includes my "Music Videos" as well:
([Media Type]=[Audio] or [Genre]=[Music Videos]) -[Artist]=[] -[Name]=[]

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Last.fm radio and scrobbling in build 15.0.106
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 05:04:23 am »

For the past 4 hours I have been totally immersed  listening to my Last FM feeds, accessed by the Media Center and played through a high end sound system.  You have no idea how much joy this is giving me.  Adding full Last FM access to the JRiver Media Center was a stellar move.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »

Can you enhance this and add the "Love Track" feature?  Maybe by clicking 5 star rating in MC's playing now window, it could signal to last.fm to mark that track as loved?

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 12:45:15 am »

Hi.
Using build 106.
fm scrobbling seems to be working fine in general. Filter works. However, titles get posted to last.fm not at 50%, not even in the end of a title but often right before a title starts playing.. I don't think it's a good behavior...

--max

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 04:43:06 pm »

From what I have seen, LastFM displays that you are listening to a track while you are playing it but it is only stored as having listed to it if you have listened to over 50% (?? no measured when it cuts in).

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:23 pm »

I didn't know that...
I know that the now obsolete fm plugin would submit to fm only after 50% was played

From what I have seen, LastFM displays that you are listening to a track while you are playing it but it is only stored as having listed to it if you have listened to over 50% (?? no measured when it cuts in).

gappie

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:31 pm »

I didn't know that...
I know that the now obsolete fm plugin would submit to fm only after 50% was played

the new one also does. but also shows what you are 'scrobbling' now, like more 'scrobblers' do. when you stop before half, it wont be added to your lastfm lib

gab

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 03:14:09 pm »

The new scrobbling system in its current form was completely inapplicable to me.

I use MС in the car. Internet access is available mainly in parking lots around work and home, sometimes I can't online from car in for several days.
Old plugin cached scrobbled information, and send as soon as possible (sometimes I synchronize a few months offline scrobbling) - and no  one track lost! Plugin check Internet connection and supports iterative (repeated if necessary with an unstable connection) to send the collected data.
With the new built-in scrobbling its all doesn't work. And even on a home internet connection, if bad connect with foreign servers  (we have so happens), built-in scrobbling misses a lot of tracks.

I hope to preserve the old functionality in the new implementation.

Thanks.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »

this sounds interesting, few things..

where is last fm located now in jriver, i cant find it? how do we turn it on see if it's working?
also whats scrobbling? is it built in? how do we know jriver is doing it?
do all our music files, video files have to be tagged properly first?

where do we learn how to use this.. yes i'm serious i went to there site but really dont understand what it is?
Can someone give me a description of what last FM is and does?

and how to get it working on my version...15.0.132 and Enjoy This Feature.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up