INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music editing capability for MC???  (Read 1748 times)

Zeno

Music editing capability for MC???
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:25:09 am »

Hi

Has there ever been or are there any plans to release a music editing component to MC?  Personally I do quite a bit of compilation work and I'd love to be able to achieve it all within MC, rather than using Roxio separately to achieve crossfades, overlaps etc etc.
Thx
Zeno

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Music editing capability for MC???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:32 am »

MC has a basic wave editor that can do cuts & pastes, fade ins/outs etc. You can open a track in it by doing: right-click > Send > To External > Media Editor. You can open Media Editor without opening a file from the top menu: Tools > Advanced Tools > Media Editor. It has also a shortcut icon in the Media Center program group in the Start menu. However, as I said, it is quite basic and for more advanced editing you might want to try Audacity or Wavsaur (both are free).

For creating mixes with cross-fades and playback ranges directly from a playlist in Standard View you can use the Playback Range feature and play the mix with cross-fade to a file by using the Disk Writer output option.

For example:

1. Create a playlist
2. Export the playlist to an m3u file
3. Switch to a different library (the playback ranges are stored and you may not want to have them in your regular library)
4. Drag & drop the m3u playlist to Playing Now
5. Add the Playback Range column to PN and tag the ranges.
    A playback range value is in milliseconds. Some examples:
    0-  plays from the beginning to the end  (i.e. doesn't do anything)
    25000-  skips the first 25 seconds before starting playback
    60000-120000 plays from 1 min to 2 min (60 s - 120 s)
    0-250000 stops playback at 2 min 10 s (250 s)
6. Set the playback options:
    Output mode: Disk Writer (either to a single track or to individual track files), set the output files location.
    Set Cross-Fade as preferred. You can also set it to use DSP effects.
    If you have set Volume to "Internal Volume" also the volume slider is effective.
7. Play the PN list. MC will create the outputted wave file or files as fast as it can decode and process the source files.
8. Convert the outputted files to your preferred format or burn them to an audio CD.

I attached a couple of sreenshots.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up