INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebRemote HTPC control when HTPC is connected to Library Server - possible?  (Read 3716 times)

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck

I have just tried Webremote, but there is one major problem with it:

I want to control my Home Theatre PC which is connected to my HiFi in the lounge, but my main server is upstairs, and it seems the webserver will only work to control the main server upstairs, which is useless for listening to music downstairs.

Is there a way that webremote can work with my HiFi HTPC and still have my main server upstairs?

Thanks,
Mark.

PS
It would be far preferable to have an app which can control in the way webserver can. There needs to be a far easier way to find an album. Search finds tracks, and there is no rolodex-type alphabetical shortcut tab system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
HTPC control
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:41 am »

I'll move your post to the Media Network board which covers WebRemote and other PC to PC solutions.

If I understand what you want, just use one copy of MC to connect to another.  Read about "Servers" on the wiki.  You will run Library Server on your upstairs server and connect from MC on your HTPC, using File/Library/Connect to Library.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
HTPC control
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:35:19 am »

I'll move your post to the Media Network board which covers WebRemote and other PC to PC solutions.

If I understand what you want, just use one copy of MC to connect to another.  Read about "Servers" on the wiki.  You will run Library Server on your upstairs server and connect from MC on your HTPC, using File/Library/Connect to Library.

Hi Jim,
I have done that, ie, my upstairs server contains the music and the other two PC's in the house connect to it to "get" their library from the server upstairs... but it seems if it is set up that way, I cannot connect to the two "slave" computers via webserver, only the main server (which is not in my living room)

Im not sure if Im making myself clear, sorry about the terminology I use, Im sure its not correct ;)

Mark.

JimH

• Administrator
HTPC control
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:32 am »

Did you read the "Servers" article and the articles it links to?

Please use specific terminology.  "Connect" to it" isn't clear.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HTPC control
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:02:03 am »

Did you read the "Servers" article and the articles it links to?

Please use specific terminology.  "Connect" to it" isn't clear.

Jim
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing...

I have been using the MC software for months with my upstairs computer (bigben) my Library Server, containing all the media, and two other satellite computers connecting to bigben Library Server using the Library>Connect to Lilbrary function. This works well, a change to bigben shows up on the satellite computers.

So for this purpose my "servers" are working fine.

With regard to web remote, I have not seen any information on how to access one of my satellite computers. I have tried using the same TYPE OF web remote address (changed IP address and kept the rest the same) which works to connect to my library server (bigben), but it does not work on the satellites, I guess because they are themselves connected to bigben?

If there is something to read which explains how to access the satellite computers directly by web remote, I would like to read it, but I did not find anything about that on the Wiki.

Thanks
Mark.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:05:40 am »

removed, duplicate

csimon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »

If the satellites are set up as DLNA media renderers (and the server is configured as a controller), won't they appear as independant zones at the bottom of Webremote?  Webremote will be connected to the server but the server itself is able to control the satellites.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: WebRemote HTPC control when HTPC is connected to Library Server - possible?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »

Just for clarification, when you say "satellite", the correct terminology (so everyone understands) would be "client".

In this case, the client would need to be set to run DLNA.  And another device could then connect to it to control it.  When you say this
I have not seen any information on how to access one of my satellite computers
it's not clear what that other device is.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:20:14 pm »

I think this is what you want to know.  Eg I have two PC's, one is the Main PC with MC Media Server running on it, and the second is an HTPC that uses Library Server to connect to the Main PC's Media Server from which it can browse and play the media via my Home Theater Equipment.  I have enabled WebRemote on my MC running on the HTPC and can now control this copy of MC from WebRemote just fine.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:30 am »

It works for me. I have Library Server running on one PC. Another PC in another room is running a client instance. I can connect and control the client with a web browser from a third PC (a netbook that doesn't have MC installed).

- You must have the Library Server option ticked also on the client because WebRemote is one of the "Library Server" features.
- You must use a valid address that points to the client (IP address:port). For example, I use this:  http://192.168.0.15:52199/WebRemote/  (It is a private address. Depending on your configuration you may have public or private IP addresses.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:07 pm »

Can you draw a diagram showing what you have and what you think you want to do?

For example (just done with clip art in publisher, Visio isn't on this PC)

MC client-server by swinster, on Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up