INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install key unavailable  (Read 3030 times)

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
Install key unavailable
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »

I downloaded and installed J River.  I then received an email that said:
"The Install Key is attached to this email.  It is valid for 14 days.  To install on another PC, transfer the Install Key to the PC, make sure the correct version of Media Center is installed, then execute the Install Key by double clicking on it."
I click on the attachment but I only get a J River screen that says:
"A license for your JRiver software has been automatically installed. You will see instructions for installing it on other computers in a separate browser window (probably behind this one). To save it, right click on the link and use the "Save As" option." There is no "separate browser window".
I right click on the blue link, but am merely directed to this forum.
Where is key that will allow me to install in the future?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install key unavailable
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »

Please see this page for information on licensing:
http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html

A Registration Code is permanent.  An Install Key is temporary (14 days).  You should have received both in e-mail from buy-button at jriver.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:25:12 pm »

I click on the attachment but I only get a J River screen that says...  I right click on the blue link, but am merely directed to this forum. ...  Where is key that will allow me to install in the future?

In addition to what Jim said,

A key file that allows you to register MC on your other computers in the near future (14 days) is attached in the mail you got. You would need to save the key as a separate disk file. You must find out how you can save an attached file with your email client program or internet browser if you use a webmail service. After a key file has expired you can get a new key from the restore page (up to ten key files per year).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:04 am »

I guess I am not making myself clear.  I understand that a key file is SUPPOSED to be attached to the buy-button email received when I bought J River.  HOWEVER, I click (tried both right and left clicks) and I save the file or open the file.  When I do this, I merely get a screen that says:

"A license for your JRiver software has been automatically installed. You will see instructions for installing it on other computers in a separate browser window (probably behind this one). To save it, right click on the link and use the "Save As" option.

If you have any questions or want more information about your software, please visit the following link:
 Interact Forum - For support, news and user interaction. "

BUT THERE IS NO INSTALL KEY SHOWN AT ANY TIME.  I AM FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND SAVING THE FILE BUT THE FILE DOES NOT CONTAIN AN INSTALL KEY AND I HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING AN INSTALL KEY.  THE INSTALL KEY EVIDENTLY IS NOT IN THE FILE THAT I HAVE SAVED AND OPENED.  

Your system is not working the way it is supposed to -- at least on my computer.  Why don't you just email me the install key: [email removed by JimH]
Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

Your system is not working the way it is supposed to -- at least on my computer.  Why don't you just email me the install key: d_graves@pacbell.net
Our system works well.  We've been through this a few times and it often turns out to be a "security" program of some kind.  Pop up blocker, spam blocker, etc.

The Purchase link above will tell you everything we can about licensing.

When you receive e-mail there should be an attachment that can be saved and executed from Explorer.  It sounds like you got that far when you saw "A license for your ....".

If you believe you didn't get a Registration Code, please visit the Restore Page and choose the second option.

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:31 am »

I turned off my security software and again tried to save your file.  Yes, it saves, but again when I click to open it I merely get the J River screen with the link that takes me to this site. I do have the registration key, BUT I CANNOT GET THE INSTALL KEY.
Why can't you just email it to me????That appears to be the only way I will be able to use your software.  I installed it on my desktop for use in ripping and organizing, but I need to install it on my laptop as that is what I will use as a music server. I thus need the install key to get the software on my laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »

I'm confused.  Part of it may be terminology. 

What I'm about to say is on the "Purchase" link above, but just for clarity's sake:

When you purchased, you should have received a Registration Code.  It is your permanent license.  You can use it on our Restore Page up to ten times a year.

Each time you do a restore, you will receive an Install Key, which is good for 14 days.

We can't e-mail you these, and if you're having a problem now, it's important to find the cause since it will continue to cause problems in the future.

Either you aren't receiving e-mail from buy-button at jriver OR there is just some confusion.

----------------

I believe you did receive the Install Key.  That's what you're executing when you say "when I click to open it I merely get the J River screen".  That's what should happen.  There is nothing useful inside the file.  Its filetype (mjr) is owned by JRiver Media Center, so MC will open it, find the license and install it automatically.

Save that file on a USB drive or similar and transfer it to your other PC.  Execute it there by clicking on it from Explorer.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:54 pm »

I attached a screenshot of the mail from "buy-button" (I replaced my personal info with X letters).

In my email client the file attachment is displayed inside the box on the bottom. I can right-click it and save it to any location on my PC. The filename is Media Center15-XXXXXX.mjr  (the X letters are numbers in the actual filename). Your mail client may have a different layout, especially if you use a web browser to access a webmail account.

As Jim said, after you have copied the .mjr file to another PC you can just double-click it to register MC.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »

Yes, there indeed has been some confusion.  When instructions say that you will receive a registration key or install key or other key, the logical intent is that there is a series of letters/numbers that are provided.  Usually one saves those keys as they are essential if you need to install or register in the future. What you REALLY need to explain to people is that they will see a registration key but that they will not see an install key. You need to tell them that what you really mean is that there will be an "invisible" key that will be part of the install process but cannot be opened except by JRiver.  Actually, I don't know why you even mention an install key if people do not see a key in the normal sense of the word. Just tell people they have fourteen days to complete the installation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up