INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering problem in bootcamp win7, 64-bit  (Read 2096 times)

nilbor

• Recent member
Buffering problem in bootcamp win7, 64-bit
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:38:15 am »

The problem is that MC stops playing and starts buffering for 5-20 seconds every know and then. It seems to happen a lot more frequently in Theater mode and when it starts, it typically repeats every minute or so. If I stop the application and start it again it is stable again for a long period (can be hours, at least if I do not ues theater mode).

The machine is a new mac mini, upgraded with 120 GB SSD, 8GB memory running win7, 64-bit professional in Bootcamp.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or otherwise have a solution to this?

Thanks

nilbor

• Recent member
Re: Buffering problem in bootcamp win7, 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:58:14 am »

Adding some more details (sorry I forgot that):

This happens both on latest 15 version (15.0.142) and latest 14 version. I have checked CPU, memory, disk, network activity when this happens and there is not significant spikes or load on any. I have tested both WASAPI versions. I am running upsampling to 96 khz.

This was stable on my last 32 bit pure win7 install (no bootcamp/ MAC), hence it is probably related to 64 bit (or potentially bootcamp/ mac?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:37 pm »

I use MC regularly on my Macbook, which boots to Win7 64-bit, and it is fine.

I did update the video card drivers on it manually to a later Nvidia-released driver (via http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/) though.  The Apple-provided Windows video card drivers are flaky in a bunch of ways, particularly the Nvidia ones.

One thing though... Are you playing the files back using MC in Client mode connected to a Library Server over the network?  I HAVE seen similar behavior using my laptop connected to the Library Server when I'm "far away" from my Wireless router (out in the garage or something).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nilbor

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:56:47 pm »

That could very well be the problem, thanks, I am using an OCZ Vertex SSD. However, I am streaming audio from a NAS over a gigabit network.

The strange thing is that I've never seen any problems when streaming video, I would presume video to be more bandwidth intensive and hence more inclined to this kind of problem, but perhaps it has a bigger buffer in memory?

nilbor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »

Thanks glynor, that info helps as it indicates that this is not a win7 64 bit issue w/ bootcamp. I am streaming from a NAS, hence I am not using a library server (only a remote filesystem).

As for the video it looks quite nice for the time being, but I'll keep in mind your advice about driver update in case I see any problems

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »

You can try increasing Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Prebuffering and see if it helps.  Also, if you're trying to use WASAPI mode, try the different Output modes in there (particularly Direct Sound) and see if it makes a difference.

If so, could be a flaky sound card driver, and you could try updating to the latest ones from Realtek.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 01:14:28 pm »

Turn off logging and anything else that accesses the SSD.  Auto import and cover art downloads, for instance.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »

Turn off logging and anything else that accesses the SSD.  Auto import and cover art downloads, for instance.

It could certainly be SSD related, since Matt is seeing weird issues on his.

What model of SSD are you using?  I wonder if it is the same controller...

nilbor

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »

I am using OCZ Vertex 2, so it could be this. However, I do find it a bit strange that is happens much more often i theatre mode. I can play for hours in "standard windows mode", but if I play in theatre mode, the problem typically appears within 15-20 minutes. My initial guess was that it was related to the "image/ artworks slideshow" in theatre mode (more memory/ disk use).
Pages: [1]   Go Up