INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmote morphing into Gizmo  (Read 4654 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Gizmote morphing into Gizmo
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »

We've had two Android apps -- Gizmo and Gizmote.  But we've had trouble defining the boundaries.  Today Matt built a new Gizmote that has elements of both.  You can get it from the Market.  You will also need a version of MC that isn't quite public yet.

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150156.exe

Please download from the top of the MC15 board now:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php#2

Important -- Be sure to try your phone's Menu button.  Many of the features of Gizmote are there.

When you start Gizmote, you'll connect to a server as before with Gizmo.  Then you choose where to play.  One of the options (here) will play on the Android.

It still has a few rough edges, but it's pretty amazing.  In the near future, this will become the new Gizmo, and the Gizmote program will be phased out.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Gizmote morphing into Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:12:03 am »

I've been playing with this a bit this morning, and you're right. Very clever indeed.

Nice touch with the textual feedback in "five button remote" mode, I just used that to fire up some music while the TV was switched off, just need to visualise the screen in your mind!! I really like the way this is going, excellent work.

Now, images...

When playing photos on the phone, should I be able to bring up the next image by dragging my finger from right to left on the screen?
I only ask because you mentioned "flicking" in another thread. If that's not currently possible, do you think it could be made so?

Also, the "Screen not switching off" bug is back.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:16:24 am »

Nice touch with the textual feedback in "five button remote" mode, I just used that to fire up some music while the TV was switched off, just need to visualise the screen in your mind!!
You don't have to "visualize" any more.  Try the menu button/Browse feature.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

Hi Jim - It looks good even on my WinMo running Android (almost enough for me to consider swapping camps - well maybe not yet).  Anyway, couple of comments:

- 5 Button Remote:  IMHO It needs some more buttons that you get on a real remote like Play/Pause, FWD, BACK, Stop etc like you have in the Gizmo section or am I missing something?
- Play here:  Does Videos meant to work yet?  Eg I can see the thumbs and select them to play but nothing happens on my phone + I don't see any transcoding activity on the MC end.

I also like how you can control two streams at once (eg play there and play on the phone).  I've no real preference but I see you have segmented Giz into the three areas up front, where as an app like Plug Player lets you specify where to send each stream.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »

- 5 Button Remote:  IMHO It needs some more buttons

But then it wouldn't be a 5 button remote, would it ;)

Seriously though, this is something we're still thinking about.  A page with lots of additional commands might be useful.  There are some commands under 'Menu' already when you're on the 5-button screen.  The 'Playing Now' screen (also under Menu) might also be useful to you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »

Yeah - the thing is where do you stop.  I'd suggest you just needs the line of std media control buttons at the bottom like you have in the other areas.  It is just odd to navigate to an item and not be able to press "Play" etc...anyway my 2cents
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »

Yeah - the thing is where do you stop.  I'd suggest you just needs the line of std media control buttons at the bottom like you have in the other areas.  It is just odd to navigate to an item and not be able to press "Play" etc...anyway my 2cents
Maybe you  know, but you can press and hold an item to get the play option.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »

Maybe you  know, but you can press and hold an item to get the play option.

I must be doing something wrong.  I if I press and hold teh Center Button in Gizmote (the one with the MC icon on it) it kicks me up a level (or two).  I see no way of playing say an album.  I can Highlight it but can not work out how you then play it....
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »

I must be doing something wrong.  I if I press and hold teh Center Button in Gizmote (the one with the MC icon on it) it kicks me up a level (or two).  I see no way of playing say an album.  I can Highlight it but can not work out how you then play it....
Press the phone's menu button, then browse.  Then it will work.  I think you're still on the 5 button screen.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:57 pm »

Press the phone's menu button, then browse.  Then it will work.  I think you're still on the 5 button screen.

Thanks - I am on the 5 Button Screen, using it to move around in Theater View as a Remote Control....but I'm stuggling how to use this interface to place anything more than a single track.  I'm fine with the Gizmo style "Play Here" and "Play to the server controls", I just think it makes sence to add them to the bottom of the "Five button remote" screen as well. 

Unless I'm still not "getting" it in the 5 Button Screen - can you play an album one you have it highlighted?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »

Sorry - Just got it  ;D

The Windows button on my HTC brings up a menu from which I can "Show Buttons" and heaps of other stuff!
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:57:11 pm »

157 is available on the MC15 board, and there is a new Gizmote on the Android Market.

I promise you that it will blow your mind.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:21:56 pm »

Looks good....but I already miss the "Show Buttons" option and I only found them an hour ago!  Seems I'm back trying to work out in 5-Button how to play an album.  I can navigate and highlight an album then --> Menu Button --> Commands --> Play/Pause but it does nothing (seems to only work when something is already playing).  The Vol Down/Up now works for me (the HW buttons did nil in the previous version).
JRiver CEO Elect

mknox999

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »

157 is available:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150157.exe

and there is a new Gizmote on the Android Market.

This works great! Love it, on an HTC Evo btw. Cant wait till I get an android based tablet!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 06:41:54 pm »

This works great! Love it, on an HTC Evo btw. Cant wait till I get an android based tablet!
Thanks.  I think the Samsung Galaxy Tab would be a good choice right now.  I'm tempted.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 01:01:20 am »

Thanks.  I think the Samsung Galaxy Tab would be a good choice right now.  I'm tempted.

Jim has there been any thought of expaning Gizmo to also sync with MC directly and then play content from the local Phone Memory/SD Card (instead of over the NW)?
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 03:19:02 am »

The htpc was being used so I could only test the "Play Here" area of the app.

Sadly, still no image flicking, and the app crashes when I ask it to drill into the image>keywords branch.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:04 am »

Jim has there been any thought of expaning Gizmo to also sync with MC directly and then play content from the local Phone Memory/SD Card (instead of over the NW)?
Not at this time.  You can still sync what you want to the device using the handheld system.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:59:07 am »

I just read that there is a new version, and maybe it fixes the following, but I'm downloading while typing, and will need to install on 2 machines and install the new app on the phone, and will test again, but I'm guessing this still exists.

When I am using the 5-button app to browse theater view, and I hold the center button to bring up the menu, it shows many options onscreen, open, play, and many more.  the problem is that when I try to arrow down or to the right, it actually moves the selection on the theaterview, which just selects another item (movie in this case) and does not actually allow me to move within the option dialog box onscreen.  so, I guess I dont' really know how to start a movie playing with the 5-button remote option.

it sounds like pressing the menu button on the phone would bring up the transport controls, and would do it, but it seems out of step with the navigation I'm already doing.

I'm going to install .157 now and test.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 11:24:45 am »

Once you've found a movie, press (not hold) the center key.  Repeat once or twice.

Also try the browse option from the phone's menu button.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 05:33:26 pm »

pressing the center button brings up the menu, but any attempt to navigate that menu actually moves the selection to another movie.  I can't find a way to navigate the menu as it is today  :-\
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 03:35:15 pm »

Please see this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up