INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Start a song at a particular location  (Read 2212 times)

lawman74

• Recent member
Start a song at a particular location
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »

Hi. I am fairly new to Media Center 15, but I'm figuring it out and I appreciate its power and quality.

I've been working on a "name the song" contest for a party, and I want to start each song in a particular location.

I have created a playlist, and I have figured out that I can accomplish what I want by pausing play (audio / video) and dragging the time indicator to where I want the song to start (such as -2:03), then leaving it. This seems to work well, so that when I go into the playlist and start each song, it will start at the location I left it at.

However, even though the playlist is locked, this only works once -- not a surprise, because I expect that the lock only applies to changing the content and order of the list.

I am wondering two things:

(a) can I get at the start setting (that is obviously stored somewhere) and set it by typing it? If so, how?

(b) can I lock this setting for a given playlist?

I realize that this is a very small and odd sort of use of the player, and I already found a way to do it that works OK, but these extra features (especially the lock) would be a nice extra convenience.

Thanks for your attention to this.

lawman74

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Start a song at a particular location
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:00 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

There's no graphical way to do what you want, but it is possible.  You can show the column 'Playback Range' and enter a range by hand.

Edit any file (or select multiple files and edit them all at once) and enter something like:
0:30 (play first 30 seconds)
0:60- (start at 60 seconds, play to end (notice the dash))
0:30-0:60 (play from 30 seconds to 60 seconds)

The value will be used any time the file is played, and must be cleared (set to empty) to play the full file.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lawman74

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:37 pm »

Thanks very much! Simple and effective, exactly what I wanted!

MC has, as the saying goes, "more options than you can shake a stick at"!

The only thing is, it works for mp3 format (and probably for many others), but it doesn't seem to work for flv format. This seems strange because the same method I was using before -- pausing and adjusting the timeline indicator by dragging it -- works for flv files just as it did for audio files.

I think that maybe MC stores the last position reached in playback somewhere else, and perhaps can't read the flv files to position itself as it does with mp3 files.

Would it help if I converted the flv files to another format like mpeg? (1, 2 or 4?)

Thanks again!

lawman74

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:39 am »

Wow! unknown killer feature!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish
Pages: [1]   Go Up