INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping multiple libraries in synch  (Read 1951 times)

ckewinjones

• Recent member
Keeping multiple libraries in synch
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »

I'm looking for a "distributed library" feature in MC.  I have a feeling that there is already a way to do this, but I haven't found it.

Here is the requirement:

I have all of the family's music files on a single server on the home network.  Each member of the family (self, wife, son) has a laptop as his/her primary listening platform.  I plan to create a separate MC library for each person, giving each one his or her own "view" of a subset of the available music files.  When we're at home and connected to the home network, I'd like each person's library to point at the server-resident media files, but when we are away I'd like there to be a local copy (resident on the laptop) of the library's files (possibly in a more economical format than the "originals" on the home media server).  I need a way of keeping the central media repository and the laptop-resident media repository synchronized.

I know that Library Server can be set up to automatically stay in synch with a client instance of MC, but as far as I can see that works only if we are all using the same library with a single "view" of the available media.  How can I do the same thing, only with each person maintaining his or her own view of the data?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Keeping multiple libraries in synch
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:27 am »

I know that Library Server can be set up to automatically stay in synch with a client instance of MC, but as far as I can see that works only if we are all using the same library with a single "view" of the available media.  How can I do the same thing, only with each person maintaining his or her own view of the data?

We don't have a turn-key way to do this.

You could have two libraries on each client: the server library and the client library.

However, there's no automatic way to upload / merge from a client into the server in that case.

You could also just share the library with everyone, and create nested views with people's names that filter differently depending on who they are.

We have considered adding user accounts for a single shared library.  It would be neat, but it's also a huge project.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ckewinjones

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:26 am »

We don't have a turn-key way to do this.

That is what I suspected.  I presume that MC's COM interfaces would provide a way for me to do this.  For example:

• Create two separate libraries, one referencing the local files and the other referencing the server-resident files
  • On startup of MC, detect whether the storage server is accessible.
  • If so, load the library which references the server; if not, load the library which references the local repository

If I am feeling energetic perhaps I will look into this (though why I should want to do COM coding on my own time I am sure I don't know).

Thanks for the reply.

Chris Jones

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:30 am »

Just bein able to have several library servers, and being able to choose from them would go a long way. And also probably help a lot of other people (like me :))

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:21 am »

Just bein able to have several library servers, and being able to choose from them would go a long way. And also probably help a lot of other people (like me Smiley)
+ 1

Sounds like what i spoke about in this link
(Comments, Suggestions, Concerns, And Questions # 4 in all posts)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62384.msg418583#msg418583

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:08:50 pm »

Yeah, its the same point. Being able to have several libraries on the server is really a sorely missed feature. Frankly its the only thing that makes me still use local libraries. Mywife don't like all my music, so she has her own library not cluttered by my stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up