INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Search not working  (Read 5721 times)

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA Search not working
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:01 am »

Hi,

I use two different DLNA clients, Plugplayer and a Pure dab radio.

Both work fine for browsing and playing music  from media center 15 DLNA server.

But the search function on both do not work at all, should MC support this if so is there a bug or something else i need to setup?

thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Search not working
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:13 pm »

Hi,

I use two different DLNA clients, Plugplayer and a Pure dab radio.

Both work fine for browsing and playing music  from media center 15 DLNA server.

But the search function on both do not work at all, should MC support this if so is there a bug or something else i need to setup?

thanks
Search isn't currently supported, sorry.

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:14:53 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if there are any future plans to support it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if there are any future plans to support it?
Actually, I was a bit off in the reply, we are supporting search but not the particular type of search PP is doing. I think it should be possible to extend the search to handle the PP queries.

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »

Well I would be grateful if it could be extended to support pp which is the main thing I use for remote audio

I also use a pure dab dlna radio which also does not search I's that using the same search as pp then?

Which clients do you support that can search currently?

Thanks.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

Search on several DLNA clients I tested (I think I tested all of them available for iPhone) did not work. So I think it's the way DLNA search is implemented in MC (what also hints another post) and would suggest to implement it correctly. If you sell MC with DLNA support one should expect search is working.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:38:31 am »

Search has changed quite a bit in the most recent releases of MC16. It works fine with PP for me now.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:10:07 pm »

No, it does not really work. But it depends on the use case. The following are my observations:

MC17 & 18: MC as DLNA server, more or less any iOS app as DLNA controller, iOS device as DLNA renderer: search and pause works.

MC17: MC as DLNA server, plug player iOS app as DLNA controller, DENON AVR4311 as DLNA renderer: search and pause does NOT work
MC17: MC as DLNA server, 8player iOS app as DLNA controller, DENON AVR4311 as DLNA renderer: search and pause does work
MC18: MC as DLNA server, any iOS app as DLNA controller, DENON AVR4311 as DLNA renderer: search and pause does NOT work

MC18: MC as DLNA server & controller, DENON AVR4311 as DLNA renderer: search and pause does NOT work

My conclusions:
As soon as you use a separate renderer (e.g. Denon) things start to get difficult. As can be seen with PP and 8player (under MC17) some apps can control the renderer properly, others cannot. It is hard to say if the apps or Denon is doing something wrong (i.e. not fully in line with DLNA specs), but my assumption is that Denon is the bad guy.

Unfortunately MC is also having difficulties with Denon (and maybe others) as renderer. Even if this is the fault of Denon, I really do think that MC should be able to handle Denon properly. As 8player showed with MC17 it is possible. And I would consider Denon as a company far to important to ignore their appliances.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »

Just tried this.
Latest PP (4.2.2) on iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 3gs
MC 18 latest build
Noxon radio renderer

Search works perfect (I assume you are not referring to SEEK which also works perfect).
Pause works perfect.

This is with the default Generic DLNA settings which converts all non-mp3 files to mp3 while streaming.

Rubberduck0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:08:15 am »

:-[ Embarrassing.. I think I missunderstood the thread topic, if search here means searching for tracks, artists, etc. This actually does work for me too.
I mean jumping to certain time index of a track, so yes, I mean seek.

However the issue is still there. But because of my missunderstanding I opened a new thread. Please read on there, as I have done further tests and found some new aspects: DLNA with Denon thread
Pages: [1]   Go Up