INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request  (Read 6489 times)

srwooten

• Recent member
Feature request
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »

iTunes has a check box you can un-check next to each song so those songs wont play. This would be a VERY convenient feature on J River too. Can you guys make this happen?
Thanks!

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »

Do you need to see them (all the time), or can you use the "trick" of rating them one-star and excluding those from the view? The exclusion can be done with the view's Rules for file display, or globally using the Access Control feature. And you could, of course, use a custom field rather than the rating to flag those to be excluded.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:52 am »

It is much simpler to just un-check songs you do not want to play. I like to un-check my holiday songs during the off seasons. Also un-check low-rez duplicates of the hi-rez music I have, and un-check songs I do not like. Then when I want to hear them I can re-check them. I found that making several playlist to exclude them to be a real bear as they get increasingly complicated over time. I do appreciate your suggestions though. But I think this feature would kick J River up another notch in the ease-of-use realm.

Beth UK

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »

Do you need to see them (all the time), or can you use the "trick" of rating them one-star and excluding those from the view? The exclusion can be done with the view's Rules for file display, or globally using the Access Control feature. And you could, of course, use a custom field rather than the rating to flag those to be excluded.

Yes - have to say I have used the 'one-star' trick quite often like this. Works a treat!

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

I'd much rather have the check box as a feature instead of using the 1 star trick. I'd like to submit my ratings and it would not be right to submit all of my Christmas music as 1 star. :-\ Except Bob Dillin's Christmas CD!  ;D

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »

I'd create smartlists and then set the genre (or whatever field) to not include Christmas or whatever else you don't want.
Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:21 pm »

iTunes has a check box you can un-check next to each song so those songs wont play. This would be a VERY convenient feature on J River too. Can you guys make this happen?

Just a tip unrelated to the actual content of your suggestion...

Naming your Subject "better" (less generic, more descriptive of the content) on this forum will generate MUCH better response from the J River folks, and even from many of us users.  I only bothered to actually read this thread because I was curious since it was getting so many replies so quickly.  Normally, I'd have skipped it.  If you can't be bothered to title your post with something non-generic, then I can't be bothered to read it.  Based on the behavior I see here, I'm not alone.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:35 pm »

But I think this feature would kick J River up another notch in the ease-of-use realm.

Adding a feature that can already be accomplished by more sensible means does not make the program easier to use.

Individual tracks can be excluded by the means described. The only difference between the suggested feature and the existing alternatives is that excluded tracks could remain visible. It's difficult to imagine why a track that is not to be played needs to remain visible—especially when the rule excluding it can be easily be turned off (or another view used which does not apply it). Excluding an entire subset of tracks (e.g., "holiday music") should be done using existing attributes that already define the subset (e.g., Genre).

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »

Just a tip unrelated to the actual content of your suggestion...

Naming your Subject "better" (less generic, more descriptive of the content) on this forum will generate MUCH better response from the J River folks, and even from many of us users.  I only bothered to actually read this thread because I was curious since it was getting so many replies so quickly.  Normally, I'd have skipped it.  If you can't be bothered to title your post with something non-generic, then I can't be bothered to read it.  Based on the behavior I see here, I'm not alone.
Thank for the heads up. I'm new around here and did not realize so many people posted feature request.  :-[

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »

Adding a feature that can already be accomplished by more sensible means does not make the program easier to use.

Individual tracks can be excluded by the means described. The only difference between the suggested feature and the existing alternatives is that excluded tracks could remain visible. It's difficult to imagine why a track that is not to be played needs to remain visible—especially when the rule excluding it can be easily be turned off (or another view used which does not apply it). Excluding an entire subset of tracks (e.g., "holiday music") should be done using existing attributes that already define the subset (e.g., Genre).

I agree there are ways, but I do not think your suggestion is more sensible or easier. Well, I guess it is for the programer. ;D

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:50 pm »

I think your "unease" at the suggested solutions might stem from an unfamiliarity with the power of MC to do this kind of thing very easily using several already mentioned solutions.

Once you play around with MC a bit more, you'll start to see the power available to you.

You can exclude them by genre, rating, any custom created field, or time since last played, or several other things, depending on your reasons for not wanting to play these songs.

You can exclude them when you create a playlist, or in a view scheme, or filter an already playing list of files.

there really are MANY ways to get you where I think you want to be with this, and playing around some would be really helpful I think.

Have fun
pretend this is something funny

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »

For what it's worth... I agree with the original request.  It would be nice to turn on a simple checkbox column a la iTunes.  I wouldn't personally use it, but it is one thing that novice users have repeatedly asked for when I suggest that they move to MC or MJ.  Sometimes people don't want to "do it better".  Better is the way they already know, simply because they already know it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »

Thank for the heads up. I'm new around here and did not realize so many people posted feature request.  :-[

No worries at all.  Welcome to Interact!  I didn't want to come off gruff.  This is actually a very "approachable" forum... Very "fast and loose", without the extensive "rules lawyering" you often see on other sites, and with a lot of friendly, helpful people.

I just thought I'd mention it.  I was in a particular mood that day.  ;)

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:24 am »

For what it's worth... I agree with the original request.  It would be nice to turn on a simple checkbox column a la iTunes.  I wouldn't personally use it, but it is one thing that novice users have repeatedly asked for when I suggest that they move to MC or MJ.  Sometimes people don't want to "do it better".  Better is the way they already know, simply because they already know it.

Seems like a win-win for J River! More customers, happier customers!

FWIW- I think you'd use it if it were there.  ;)

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 01:50:42 am »

Sometimes people don't want to "do it better".  Better is the way they already know, simply because they already know it.

There will always be those who will prefer to use software in a manner contrary to it's design—no matter how inefficient that is. But most people have some interest in learning how to use software to some better potential. That's clearly THE thing that attracts many to MC—the seemingly unlimited potential. So the down side of this suggestion is it will make that potential just a tiny bit more difficult for all those other people to discern.

Maybe more than a tiny bit. If it's a visible thing and clone of an existing iTunes feature, many new users are going to reasonably expect it is the only mechanism for excluding tracks from playing. That can only result in it taking them longer to discover the more effective means for doing so—and all the other wonderful things the same tools make possible. Worse, something like this can induce a new user to invest a lot of time in applying it to their circumstance, making the discovery of the better way an unhappy experience.

But I'm not really interested in arguing against this particular suggestion. I'd rather make the point good software design does not simply mean adding any feature that, in isolation, seems like a good idea to a few users. It's impact on other features and all users must be considered.

That being said, some users just want to make a suggestion and aren't interested in discussing these issues. In that case, the suggestion is best made in the topic designated for that purpose. One has not yet been established for MC16 (since it's still in beta) and users are still being directed to MC15 Feature Requests. Perhaps we should have known that's what was intended here, but usually new topics are started because the poster does want to discuss the proposed feature. :-\

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:21:47 pm »

There will always be those who will prefer to use software in a manner contrary to it's design—no matter how inefficient that is. But most people have some interest in learning how to use software to some better potential. That's clearly THE thing that attracts many to MC—the seemingly unlimited potential. So the down side of this suggestion is it will make that potential just a tiny bit more difficult for all those other people to discern.

Maybe more than a tiny bit. If it's a visible thing and clone of an existing iTunes feature, many new users are going to reasonably expect it is the only mechanism for excluding tracks from playing. That can only result in it taking them longer to discover the more effective means for doing so—and all the other wonderful things the same tools make possible. Worse, something like this can induce a new user to invest a lot of time in applying it to their circumstance, making the discovery of the better way an unhappy experience.

True, and normally I'd agree.  If you have a large market share, or a split market, you can often push people to learn "your way" to do things.  For example, Final Cut Pro and AVID have some very different ways of accomplishing certain basic cutting tasks.  AVID does implement some of "Apple's way" here and there, and Apple implements some of "AVID's way" here and there, but for the most part they force novice users to learn the "AVID Way" or the "Final Cut Way".  That's fine when you are one of the big players in an established market.  It can even be a benefit because it creates a bit of a "lock in" for your established customers.

It even applies to MC in many cases, but the situation isn't the same at all.  iTunes is clearly the dominant player in this space, and MC is operating in a much smaller niche.  Clearly, one of the "sales goals" for MC is to convert existing iTunes users over to a much better product.  I don't think I'd suggest implementing a TON of stupid things from iTunes just because it would ease the noob transition.  However, this is one place where I do think it would be appropriate.  It is a balancing act, of course.

I'm not entirely convinced that MC's way to do this is better for everyone.  MC's exisiting system is, of course, much more POWERFUL.  But my point above is that more powerful does not mean better.  Sometimes it does.  But in many cases, especially for novice users (but certainly not limited exclusively to them), it actually means just the opposite.

There is a tendency among any product's users to automatically prefer the established paradigm, especially with technical products like MC, even when an alternative is much simpler.  Sometimes, listening to your "power users" is actually a very bad call for a company who wants to expand their market.  The problem is, that you're just preaching to the choir.  A perfect example of this in the real world is Blackberry.  When the iPhone shipped, they seriously thought that it wouldn't appeal to many people because it didn't have enough buttons.  They were thinking: Look at the people who buy smartphones.  None of them will buy this thing.  Where's the email button?  Where's the keyboard?  They don't even have a physical button to send a text message quickly.  Who would dump their existing Blackberry or Palm Treo for this thing?

This was absolutely true of the Blackberry fans out there (I can dig up all sorts of awesome online predictions of the iPhone's failure if you need), and I think it deeply affected RIM's response to the iPhone.  They listened too much to the echo chamber, convinced that their way was better because it was more useful for power users.  That's fine if you only ever want to sell to your established base, but the problem is that doesn't help you expand your market.  Apple didn't care about selling phones to people who already "bought in" to the complex smartphone system.  They cared about selling to everyone else.  The top-end users will take care of themselves, given time.  And, it worked.  As another player becomes dominant, those existing power users are going to begin to jump ship.  And, look at what has been happening to RIM as a result.  Sure, they still have a large existing market share, but that is mostly because they were SUCH a commanding leader for so long (and corporate buying doesn't turn on a dime).  But, if you dig down into the actual new sales numbers (price per handset, and user loyalty) they are in deep, deep trouble.  Which is why it appears that they are in the process of completely switching strategies now.

MC isn't in a market like AVID vs. Final Cut (two large established players who command a dominant position in the market).  You can only push new users so far, and usually only a little at a time.  When I first came to using MJ way back in the day, I probably only used 10% of its capabilities even back then.  I learned a little more and more at a time as I went, but I kept at it because the product met enough of my established preconceptions and needs that I kept with it.  If there had been a major feature that I wanted and liked that it didn't offer?  Maybe I would have closed the trial and kept my money?  And then we both (J River and I) would have lost.

So... Relating this discussion back to this particular suggestion:

I've personally seen a NUMBER of people switch away from using MC after I've introduced it to them for this exact reason.  You can explain it to them until you're blue in the face that MC does it this way and this is why this is "better" (more capable), but in the end, their needs are often very simple.  They don't WANT to do all of that complex setup, or learn anything new, they just want to turn off some songs quickly and simply without deleting them, and have it work on the fly, the way they're used to.  It isn't a choice between learning something new (and fairly complex) and being frustrated and unable to accomplish their goal.  It is a choice between learning something new or just using iTunes.

So, in this instance, I think this is an opportunity.  First of all, the feature set being requested is not actually PERFECTLY solved by the workaround suggestions made.  One benefit of the iTunes method that many people I've talked to about this really appreciate is that they can modify a playlist ALREADY IN PROGRESS by using the checkboxes.

So, for example, you can start a song playing with Shuffle mode turned on, and then go through and uncheck the boxes for the songs you don't want included right then and there.  You don't have to think about any of it ahead of time.  You can do it a little at a time as you go.  If the shuffle is playing and plays a track by Rage Against the Machine and you're not feeling particularly "ragey" right then, just walk over and uncheck those songs and they'll no longer play in the existing shuffle.  Because of the Playing Now system in MC, this doesn't work even if you use the suggestions.  Once you start the playback, the only choice is to edit the Playing Now list manually, or to filter your view and restart playback.  So, in that small way, MC's system is actually LESS flexible than the system in iTunes.

So, I think that for all of these reasons, this particular iTunes feature could be useful to some users, particularly those coming over from iTunes.  That is, of course, a very large portion of your "potential new user base" for MC.  I wouldn't turn it on by default, and when someone asks, we'd say something like:

"You probably shouldn't do it that way.  This is how you can do it using MC's more powerful tools.  But, if you really want it, go here and you can turn it on."

Sure, some people are going to turn it on and never look back.  But those people might have been just as likely to close the trial of MC and never come back as they would be to take the time and effort to learn the "MC Way".  And that's the difference.

For myself, I don't really manage my media that way.  I can't.  I have way too much stuff.  There is absolutely NO WAY I can browse my library using the way most people use iTunes.  Bear in mind, the vast majority of iTunes users that I see out and about don't even use the Panes to sub-filter their media.  They just scroll through the big "all songs" list and find what they want that way.  Seriously.  I can't do that.  I'd never find anything.  And maybe MOST of those people aren't even potential MC customers, but some of them (who are frustrated with iTunes, particularly on Windows where it is brain damaged) certainly are.  Turning them away for something so simple seems like a bad idea.

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

But I'm not really interested in arguing against this particular suggestion. I'd rather make the point good software design does not simply mean adding any feature that, in isolation, seems like a good idea to a few users. It's impact on other features and all users must be considered.

I'm going to stick with this idea. JRiver is not RIM and it's not competing head-to-head with Apple for the same market. MC is, relatively speaking, a niche product. As such, it must differentiate itself from the mass-market alternative. Yes, drawing users away from iTunes (or anything else with a significant share of the mass market) is an important objective. But there has to be something of substance to draw them with—and I question whether it's a good idea to hide that. Nothing has to be done to convince iTune users there must be something better. Those who care will decide that for themselves. And it's those people who are the potential users of MC. In fact, a good measure of how well suited MC is for them might be how readily other iTunes users hate and reject MC. "Not iTunes" is probably an excellent way to brand MC. When the target users decide to look elsewhere, hopefully they find MC and recognize it is something different and will better suit their needs. Adding a familiar iTunes feature doesn't necessarily interfere with that, but—for the reasons I stated—it might. Maybe what I'm saying is the image an perception of the "MC Way" is not something to be messed with for the sake of an unnecessary, redundant frill.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »

Well. I was a iTunes user and I prefer J River and I promote it. I like it well enough I'm demoing it to our audio club in Arizona, as I posted a few weeks back.

But the fact of the matter is J River MC WILL NOT do what I want it to without the check boxes even with the above suggestions.

I think it is a logical addition.

BTW- Sorry I started this post in the wrong spot.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:50:52 pm »

Adding a familiar iTunes feature doesn't necessarily interfere with that, but—for the reasons I stated—it might. Maybe what I'm saying is the image an perception of the "MC Way" is not something to be messed with for the sake of an unnecessary, redundant frill.

And, like I said... I generally agree.  Mainly my point of view is shaped by the fact that I've personally seen a number of potential MC users reject the application over this seemingly simple thing.  That's all.  It could certainly go either way.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »

I don't have a strong feeling on this one either way.  We actually had a playback filter feature a few years ago, but removed it because we felt Access Control made it redundant.

But just to make the point that things are only simple once you're used to them, I didn't know the checkboxes in iTunes affected playback until reading this thread.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:32 pm »

I don't have a strong feeling on this one either way.  We actually had a playback filter feature a few years ago, but removed it because we felt Access Control made it redundant.

But just to make the point that things are only simple once you're used to them, I didn't know the checkboxes in iTunes affected playback until reading this thread.

Yes, and you can single out a genre and control click and check or uncheck the entire lot all at once, or pick and choose.  You still get to see all your music listed, but choose what will be played. You don't have to "edit" a myriad of playlist. If you want to burn the entire CD album you can recheck the unchecked songs and make it. The checkbox feature has a lot of uses.

rick.ca

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:41 pm »

If you do re-introduce a playback filter, please do it the "MC Way." That would be the usual search to define what is to be filtered. We could then specify what to include any way we like—including the use of a Boolean field. By all means, appease the iTunes groupies by making such a field standard and including it in the default search. This field, of course, would be much easier to use if it were a check box, but that's not a need unique to this feature. A "check box" field type would be a nice option for other things as well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:41:53 pm »

Absolutely.  Since I was never an iTunes user until I got a Mac at work* (and even then tried to use it as little as possible), I didn't know what the heck those things were for a long while.  I always sort-of figured it was some clunky multi-select mechanism for applying batch metadata or something.

I do think some slicker and more tuned to hunt-and-peck method of managing an active Playing Now list (and probably just all playlists) on-the-fly would be useful.  Maybe some sort of on-hover "X" button that removes the file (or selected files) from the Playing Now list quickly with no confirmation prompt?  I don't know...  It isn't that hard now, of course (duh, delete or right-click), but you have to know to go look in Playing Now and get the concept of a "now playing playlist"... It is just different.  The Access Controls are great, but it isn't that clear that they can be used this way (for the hiding of Holiday music and whatnot).  And there is the issue with the "quick add" and "quick remove" from the Access Controlled list.  Using the "one-star" method is really a hack.  It works (I use it for my handheld syncing), but it also offends those of us who don't want to mark the Bright Eyes Christmas Album as one star, but also don't want to hear Little Drummer Boy at our 4th of July celebration.

I also definitely see rick's basic point that MC is a premium music player, targeted not at the "everyman", but at a different class of computer users.  I don't know how many people are going to really be turned off by this, if they are really in the market for a $50 media player/organizer program in the first place, so why add a funky non-standard control to appeal to users who might not be tempted in the first place.  That's a good point.  It's a judgement call.  I don't know how hard it would be to implement something like this.  It would really actually be much better to try to tweak what we have to better serve these goals, in a MC-appropriate way.  Rather than just slap-on an iTunes clone feature.  It just seems like it is a little clunky for things like this, and there has to be a better way.

I don't know.  You know the drill:  You have a friend that you install the trial for, show them all sorts of cool stuff and get it all set up for them.  Then you check in a couple weeks later and ask, and they've gone back to iTunes and VLC.  More than a few times, I've asked, and the "checkboxes" has come up (in one case it was the "main" reason).  But I bet for at least a few of them, it was really more the $50.

* Yeah, I'm backwards, I use Macs at work and I use Windows at home.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »

A "check box" field type would be a nice option for other things as well.

I have a lot of custom fields that would benefit from check-box style entry.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »

If it looking to much like iTunes is the problem, bury the feature. (But tell me where it is!) ;D

Truly there is already a lot in common with a lot of players. Scrolling, cover art, searches, buttons for pause, etc. I really do not see this as a problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:39 pm »

A "check box" field type would be a nice option for other things as well.

I have a lot of custom fields that would benefit from check-box style entry.

Actually, yes, that's very good.

I agree.  I'd also like a true boolean data type field, which would then show up as a checkbox in the details view and the Tag AW.  Maybe That would be a good great way to solve the problem.   Add a Boolean data type, create a stock field that is used for the existing access control list.  Done.

Does adding something to the Access Control list automatically remove any impacted files that are already in the Playing Now list?

rick.ca

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:40 am »

Does adding something to the Access Control list automatically remove any impacted files that are already in the Playing Now list?

I think so, although that's not something I'd normally do. Activating Access Control will remove matched items from PN. Changing a field so it matches (e.g., changing Rating to 1 star) will not remove the item from PN. So that's not going to serve the need of "removing" a track from PN, it that's what you had in mind.

Add a Boolean data type, create a stock field that is used for the existing access control list. Done.

Yes, the same behaviour as the "1-star trick," but using a dedicated flag instead of Rating. For this particular use, I'm indifferent. There aren't many tracks I would want to exclude in this way, and I have no other use for a 1-star rating. In fact, what I'm doing now makes perfect sense to me—1-star means "this track exists so the album is complete, but I never want to hear it.

But for those who need to exclude items on a more ad hoc basis, I suppose the fact Access Control causes files to disappear is a PITA. A playback filter would allow the excluded items to remain visible. BTW, if the playback filter were to be based on a search, there would have to be some visual indication of which tracks match—in both file list views and PN. (A visible check box wouldn't suffice because there could be other rules included in the search.) What I imagined was excluded files being greyed-out. And if excluded files are otherwise members of a set being played (e.g., a member of an album), they should appear in PN even though they're not going to be played. This is necessary so a user viewing PN can see what is being filtered and have the ability to include them (e.g., by clearing a check box).

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »

But for those who need to exclude items on a more ad hoc basis, I suppose the fact Access Control causes files to disappear is a PITA. A playback filter would allow the excluded items to remain visible. BTW, if the playback filter were to be based on a search, there would have to be some visual indication of which tracks match—in both file list views and PN. (A visible check box wouldn't suffice because there could be other rules included in the search.) What I imagined was excluded files being greyed-out. And if excluded files are otherwise members of a set being played (e.g., a member of an album), they should appear in PN even though they're not going to be played. This is necessary so a user viewing PN can see what is being filtered and have the ability to include them (e.g., by clearing a check box).

I like the sound of this! :)

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

Until I sold my iPhone, I used to sync music with iTunes. (In a certain mode at least) the checkboxes were used to select which tracks had to be synchronized on the device. It was really a pain to set up, which precisely made me sell my iPhone and switch to Android :) Did not know they were used for playback... It seems to be their solution to the absence of a Playing Now list, which also made me hate iTunes so much, until I could definitively to uninstall it, when I sold my iPhone... Yeah, my life is just great now 8)

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:48 pm »

@Raphoune-

I really do not get your point. Sorry.

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 07:02:51 am »

iTunes' logic is hard to get when you come from MC (it's probably the same the other way). In my opinion (just mine, really), theses checkboxes just suck. I'm so glad I do not have to use them anymore, and hope nothing like that will come up in MC...

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:35 pm »

If the checkboxes come up in JR they'd be something you could use, not something you'd have to use. With iTunes I never used them to sinc my devices. I just made a iPod playlist and managed that.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:32 am »

If the checkboxes come up in JR they'd be something you could use, not something you'd have to use. With iTunes I never used them to sinc my devices. I just made a iPod playlist and managed that.

Exactly. For example, I have a custom data field called 'Party'. It only has one value choice, 'Yes'. I also have a Smartlist that only plays items marked as Yes.

If we had a boolean field with the checkmark entry option, marking items would be much simpler. Instead of mousing over the proper field, hitting F2 and selecting Yes, I could just check the box and be done.

AssadMawad

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »

Exactly. For example, I have a custom data field called 'Party'. It only has one value choice, 'Yes'. I also have a Smartlist that only plays items marked as Yes.

If we had a boolean field with the checkmark entry option, marking items would be much simpler. Instead of mousing over the proper field, hitting F2 and selecting Yes, I could just check the box and be done.

the same field called party, changed to integer, make it a five star type and allow only the number 1 (as for one star)
here we came back to ticking box but with the star sign beside the right sign  :P

rick.ca

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:52 pm »

the same field called party, changed to integer, make it a five star type and allow only the number 1 (as for one star)
here we came back to ticking box but with the star sign beside the right sign

Clever tip—thanks!

I thought a drawback to this might be the column would have to be left wide enough so the "x" could be clicked to deselect the flag. Not so—only the second star position need be visible. Because it's value is invalid, clicking it resets the flag. 8)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 08:34:58 pm »

Clever tip—thanks!

I thought a drawback to this might be the column would have to be left wide enough so the "x" could be clicked to deselect the flag. Not so—only the second star position need be visible. Because it's value is invalid, clicking it resets the flag. 8)

That is a good idea. It's a bit clunky, what with the extra star spots, but does allow for quicker access than what I'm using now. Thanks!

AssadMawad

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

Clever tip—thanks!

100%

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 01:25:02 pm »

Hi all,

I've been thinking about the check box request for a bit as it does have a nice simple immediate application (interactive at the moment as opposed to planned). I think one could simulate one pretty easily and even one up it.

Here's something I tried quickly that works fairly conveniently for just the check box, but could really be useful if extended. I used the playback info field, others might be better as I only investigated this for a few minutes.

Ok. You check the playback info field, make it one of the first columns. To check a track all you need to do is double click slowly on the requisite field, and enter an x (or whatever), the down arrow will automatically open the next field and you can insert an x, and of course you can also check a bunch of fields at a time via rename.

Now whats cool about this is all you can do once you x (and consider that you can go with more than x, for instance x=songs you don't like much and rarely listen to but, c=Christmas, mz=I will never play unless my mother-in-law comes over, you get the idea.

Now if you want to play only the x songs in a given album say, just click on the column header, choose sort that field within the album and all your ducks er x's will be in a row. Play away. Even better, you can go to the search box, start to type playback info, and when it appears click on it and it will show all your codes (ie x, c, mz). Choose one and all relevant entries will show. Then of course you can search within that for... And vice versa, do a normal search and then a playback info with that. You get the picture.

One other field that's nice for this (and would be a virtual checkbox if JRiver made it available for individual tracks ie it could be left blank for individual tracks) is the playback button (If you haven't noticed you can add a playback button to every track).

Just an idea ready for further refinement for the simulated check box. I think I'll be using it, or something like it. Thanks for making the check box request srswooten.

rick.ca

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

I've been thinking about the check box request for a bit as it does have a nice simple immediate application...

An important advantage of the proposed check box and the existing one-star workaround is they can be set and unset using one mouse click. But there is a place for a "multiselect" flag fields as well. Any number of these can be created and tailored to suit the circumstances. You can, for example, set the "Acceptable Values" so only predefined one and two-letter codes are accepted. I use this method to quickly tag tracks in need of maintenance while using Theatre View with a remote. One letter indicates what needs attention: Quality, Lyrics, Cover, etc. A prefix of A means "check the whole album."

One other field that's nice for this (and would be a virtual checkbox if JRiver made it available for individual tracks ie it could be left blank for individual tracks) is the playback button (If you haven't noticed you can add a playback button to every track).

Although it can be chosen from a view's field list, the Playback Button is not a field, so it's unlikely it would be adapted to this purpose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up