INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 15 Feature Requests  (Read 69418 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
MC 15 Feature Requests
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »

If these features are in MC15 i'll buy it. I like MC14, but from 13 to 14 there was not that much of a reason to upgrade. hopefully there are some big additions this time.

1) Locked Views. This has been asked for a long time now.

2) A minimized side bar, like in outlook 2007.

3) Sync over WiFi (I'll even pay for an Android and iPhone app)

4) Ability to move items around on the side bar, and maybe even hide some that I never use.

5) A "Play Radio" option on the side bar or toolbar.

6) More video encoding settings.

7) Better implementation with Windows 7. like recently opened items on right click, the song name in the little preview, and some transparency

If no locked views, maybe the ability to set a main, and secondary A, and secondary B windows then have the options of "open in main" "Keep secondary A as X" "keep secondary B as Y" options, n stuff.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: MC 15 Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:53:29 am »

Time for a licence upgrade me thinks :D

And i would really love to see what soulcancer proposed, especially the locked split views! It's such a shame to have such a great feature and not being able to "tailor" it to your own needs.

And as for wifi sync support, i've been using symsmb with my n95 8gb and MC set up to sync to attached network drives for quite some time now and it goes just fine :) i can even make phone calls while sync is in progress. If only n95 wouldn't be so darn slow transfer-wise :(

Go JRiver!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:17 am »

4) Ability to move items around on the side bar, and maybe even hide some that I never use.
You can turn off many things here:
Tools/Options/General/Advanced/Features.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:54:15 am »

Since this post converted into a feature requests post, i have something "weird" to propose:P

The ability to attach a small icon into a field!

Let's say for example, that i create a "Hi-def, SD" field for my movie collection depending on what i choose for a movie, it could show the HD / SD icon instead of text. Something like vuze had for its movie database and it would be something that would look really nicely in theater view. what do you think ?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:23 am »

Since this post converted into a feature requests post, i have something "weird" to propose:P

The ability to attach a small icon into a field!

Let's say for example, that i create a "Hi-def, SD" field for my movie collection depending on what i choose for a movie, it could show the HD / SD icon instead of text.

If i understand what you mean its like custom image fields. Right now we can create as many custom 'text' fields but the only image field allowed is that of the album art.

I've requested custom image fields many times for the very purpose you mentioned, as user defined icons because they're easier to spot in a list at a glace :)

Something like vuze had for its movie database and it would be something that would look really nicely in theater view. what do you think ?
Could you post a pic ?

Host it on some image site and then link to it here.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:30:54 am »

Yep that's exactly what i meant!

I'll post a pic when i get back home from work :)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:17:00 am »

Here's a pic from a search @ google, notice the HD / SD icons ;) Now imagine these inside a field in MC:)

ropp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32:47 am »

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to say THANK YOU to all JRiver team for doing a great job!!!

Since I am a netbook user I will really appreciate if in MC15 we are going to see more optimizations for memory footprint, CPU usage and anything related to it. May be special view mode, for instance?

Many users at this forum follow with the development team and install every new build, so may be an incremental update functionality will be a good thing.
Also, it would be very useful to implement Russian language pack. I think that lack of Russian language prevents a huge lump of users to choose MC.

In conclusion, I would like to propose MC team to think about releasing an official iPhone (iPad) app which could be a remote control and a mobile browser for MC.

I hope that my opinion will be treated with consideration and we will see the above mentioned functionality in the future release.

Thanks

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:04 am »

I've mentioned this a few times and hopefully J River will take some notice. I'd like to see albums only when artists is viewed in the library. Right now, it shows both the album and artist, the artist seems pointless.

Here's what i mean

Black Sabbath

Paranoid, then songs from that album

Vol. 4, then songs from that album, and so forth

As things stand, its like this

Paranoid by Black Sabbath, then songs underneath

Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath, then songs underneath, and so forth.

If this feature is included i'd buy the license for MC 15, if not, id probably just stick to the version i've got.

By the way, does that bother anyone else, or is it just me that this bugs?

dm233

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:38:15 am »

Ah feature requests for MC15... seems that just 6 months ago MC14 was coming out.  the pace of development is great and astounding and makes us end users happy.  so what's is store for the new version??  absent any roadmap it difficult to divine anything that hasnt been discussed by the developers already.  some thoughts in a perfect world would be...

start moving towards a client/server architecture
  • MC14 saw a lot of great development of UPnP and DNLA services integrated into MC, now that those pieces are starting to mature it would be fantastic to to see them fine tuned to and possible to run as stand alone services and separate out the the playback interface from the server options.
  • if DNLA/UPnP, Library server, web remote combined into a stand alone package it would be far easier to deploy to dedicated machines and serve up media across the house to various clients from one central location.
  • configuration can be done by a connected client.  the client should be able to do changes to Tags, views, configuration and update the server remotely.syncing changes should be configurable as to what gets updated and how.  for example if one can make tag changes automatically update  but view schemes are manual.  there should be an option.
  • password protect the configuration.  there doesnt need to be a complex user access model created but a simple method similar to the current party mode/access control in that one can give everyone access to update say tags but view changes are locked by password.
  • headless server component-  the server piece should run headless.  installation should be minimal and the majority of configuration done by the client.  ideally the client should be able to run on any platform- wintel, mac, linux.  while cross platform compatibility is a pipe dream a good start would be a WHS option.
  • client side should concentrate on playback and presentation of metadata.  it should be possible to define local client views independent of the server.
  • software upgrades-   should be possible to separate out server and client releases.  an upgrade to a DNLA server component shouldnt require that the client piece be upgraded as well and the design can lead to better customization, feature development, stability enhancements from compartmentalization of features.
  • licensing- potential to tap new revenue streams by offering server only software, client software or a full install.  a WHS server component is a ripe opportunity waiting for right mix of functionality, features and forward thinking tech within MC.

expand library/metadata functionality
  • in a perfect world there would be a global standard for representing meta data for all filetypes.  while MP3 tags have come along way towards universality, there is still a gap when it comes to photo, video, online feed tagging.  Exif, NFO, mymovies.xml, sidecars, etc...  its a mess and no relief seems to be in sight.  would love to see a good feature that helps to alleviate the pain in dealing with all the headaches of metadata.
  • the ability to import/export xml in the various formats and map it to library fields would be astounding.  for instance a table map that lets one define XBMC NFOs to their library field counter parts.  so one could import metadata already scrapped for XBMC and populate MC's library with the metadata
  • export is just as important.  the various other DNLA devices and different media software have different requirements.  so if one wants to output to XBMC NFO or XML for a network Media Tank its an option.
  • the gist of the idea is that a lot of devices, services and applications have different ways of dealing with metadata it would be superb to have one repository with the tools to take advantage of every option out there.  as someone who still has a turtle beach audiotron in service, a XBMC in the bedroom, a popcorn hour NMT, and everything else in between being able to serve up metadata for a piece of media is a challenge to do in each players native metadata format.  life would be a heck of a lot easier if it could all be centralized on one media library.

sunfire7

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:45:59 am »

My feature request based on my needs, but also already asked by others:

1) Locked Views.

2) Podcast Directory in the handled sync settings, example:

all the "mediasubtype: podcast" would be synched to that path

3) In the handled sync settings, ability to select separate encoder settings for each playlist, example:

Favorites playlist: lame v0
   4/5 Stars: lame v2
   3 or less stars: lame v5

4) Ability to shrink cover art on the fly when syncing, I dont think any handled player needs hi res covers, also will save space, example:

song.flac with a hi res cover of 1200x1200 and 2mb size, when syncing in the handled device an mp3 with a 500x500 200kb cover

5) Custom Image Fields
what Arbiter said about image field for SD / HD would be nice, and even more if we can custom it to our needs

I think the jump from mc 13 to 14 is HUGE, so many features added, and im happy and willing to pay if mc 15 brings more user request features !

Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 11:46:14 am »

Also, i know i sound like i hate the program but i really love it, along with the split views maybe have a dedicated playing now view that can be set to vertical or horizontal. in this playing now have some actual buttons on top like update order, and some of the other right click-able options there. Also what i would REALLY like to see if that playing now view, or locked view is done, when i click on locate album, it opens in the main window, not my really small playing now view on the right. Follow what I mean here? And complete implementation of Performer inside the main audio window, just have a little performer logo next to them to know its streaming not downloaded.

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:15 am »

Status Bar
  • Separate the updating Tagging Status Bar (i.e. "Saving tag changes (# remaining)" or "Done saving tag changes.")  at the bottom from Selection Status Information of the view (i.e. "17 Files (1.4 GB - 17:50:29)"). Often I would like to see how many files I've got selected or how much time but the updating tagging status takes precedence.  It would be nice if both sets of information could be displayed at the same time, since there's a lot of room in the status bar down there.

Find & Replace... Utility
  • Make the Dialog reusable by adding an Apply button. That way multiple find and replaces can be made without the need to reopen and refill the fields again.
  • Add a drop down box with options to search "At the Beginning", "Any" or "At the End"
  • Regular Expressions

Actions Window
  • Detachable Action Windows

Settings
  • Make some of the different settings, library specific. I'll like to see my Music library use a different coverart directory than my Book libraray

Fill Properties from [Property]
  • Works exactly like the Fill Properties from Filename except for using a different property instead of filename. This would be helpful because there are some characters that aren't supported in the Filename but can be used in the Name property.  Parsing would be more efficient/effective from a field other than Filename.

Convert Format
  • Add encoder settings pool to the main Convert Format dialog to quickly select a encoder previous saved profile/settings. I'd like to quickly switch between my lossless APE settings and maybe my lossy MP3 Encoder settings without going through two other dialogs

sunfire7

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 11:54:12 am »

soulcancer:
thats what i meant too with the locked views request :)

stevenf:
i think that can be done with the current builds, tell me if this is kinda what you meant:

I customized the artist view from "Album by Artist" to "Album (year)"
Mac version early bird

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

I'll counter the discussions by saying I'll upgrade to MC15 regardless of the newly added feature list.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »

Would love too see a clean file properties, upon importing..It's not possible now is it?
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

sunfire7

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »

Another useful feature you can add is dxva support, i know it can be done with directshow filters, but implementing it as a native option would be great, something similar to what media player classic internal filters does.  If is not possible, maybe you can add an option to not open the video in mc, but lauch it in other app .
Mac version early bird

Gork

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:35 pm »

FWIW, I use MC primarily for WAV audio files I rip from my own collection of CDs.  I would like to see the stacks feature expanded to allow the following:

Define stacks individually to be containers of tracks if so desired.  Or, a similar but new ability added called "containers."  When you have one piece of music made up of several different tracks it would be great to be able to put those tracks in a "container" in whatever order you want and MC would treat them as one entry in the library.  That way those music files would always be played together and in the same order, regardless of shuffle or which track is picked.  Like stacks, you could easily expand or collapse containers as well.

I spent several hours searching through the forums yesterday looking for posts regarding how to do this in MC.  I found many requests for such a feature, but they were all old.  This led me to believe that perhaps one of the latest versions of MC introduced this feature.  (I'm still using v12.)  But I downloaded v14 to check my hypothesis and don't see that the feature has been added.

I understand there are workarounds such as combining files or using playlists without enabling the shuffle feature, but I would like to keep individual tracks separated as individual WAV files and be able to use the shuffle feature.  From all the posts I was reading last night there are lots of others who would appreciate this feature being implemented as well.

This is the one last "thorn" left for me since I started using MC back in 2006.  I was ecstatic when split views were changed so their window settings were made persistent, meaning if you had album/artist view in one pane and playing now in another when you close MC those views would remain intact when you opened MC next time.  (That was the second to last thorn...)

Thank you for listening.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »

- Big one for me... abilty for auto screensaver lockout in theaterview.. no one is using htpc. she goes to sleep next person that sits down has to enter password for THERE account or family account.. this way those of us with kids. can lock them out of our adult libraries. (i dont like my 9 year old being able to have access to my R-Rated movies. or My Adult funny pictures etc...)

- ebook .cbr reader or at least the ability to see our ebooks, .cbr files Thumbnails within jriver and then a plugin that when we clicked on one it would open the comic rack program for us or auto open adobe reader from WITHIN theaterview.
ability to install use and visualize we can find. winamp visualizations for example.

change the top display view bar in theaterview. so its larger text and similiar to the awesome bars you guys made on the bottom. so its usable!

basically most of the stuff i posted here (i know alot of these requests are way out in the future)... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55597.msg381230#msg381230

the ability to have recently imported view stay forever in standard view! meaning when we import files that view we have setup will stay, actors, artists, description, etc..

more support for autometa plugin. Simple to use, works great.. more functionality, music ability, the ability to add other sources for checking info, adult sources, amazon, discogs, etc

have images for music downloaded in playing also in theaterview, be cool to see the artist images from the net in theaterview as a visualization

stil_learning

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 02:52:08 pm »

Hi all,

I'd like MC 15 to have a dedicated Opera Lyrics option- for the classical music lover.
MC would be the first ever audio program to display opera lyrics.
The reason I'd like to have this as a seperate option is the different nature of Opera lyrics. They are much bigger than ordinary lyrics and have a more complex structure.

Cheers!

flac.rules

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »

I know it has been posted before, but a better looking theatre view is the only thing that is keeping me from using MC as the wole media-program on my HTPC, an example of the kind of nice look i am wishing can be seen here: http://www.meedios.com/images/static/themes/evolutiondark.jpg.

I hope the link is ok, is not meant s an endorsment of your competition, the product with the skin i have linked to doesn't even play media by itself.

AtW

mcc05

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »

For the multizone playback a Party mode option that links the zones into one playing now view and start stop controls that control the zones as one.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »

Sync settings and perhaps MC library backup to the j.river cloud. When I install MC on a new machine I should be able to just verify my license and download my settings etc. And start using MC.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

I first floated the icon (Overlay) idea many moons ago, perhaps this time  :D

With regards to the Find/ Replace and similar dialogs, something that would IMHO be of much greater use would be a little MRU (most recently used) list. I've personally got 4 or five different expressions that get used here, and this would be a simple addition with plenty of potential time-saving benifits.

Agree with the ability to clean file properties on import as well. Far too many stock MP3 tags are simply junk which needs to be rewritten.

Other things I'd like to see:
* An internal MD5/ CRC checker.
* Improvements to the MyMovies importer. Noticably, I'd like the ability to remap the fields and remove some of them :) (No use for the coverart it provides, and I use Genre already for base classification, so this wants to be moved to Subgenre)

-Leezer-

HTPC4ME

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

Ability to have searches in all theaterviews subtypes. see posts here.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56682.0

ty

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

Stacks
  • Improve the icons. Add a "Top" label or icon that clearly shows which item is a stack top item
  • Create a border around the currently open stack
  • Animate the opening/closing of a stack
  • Add a "Populate all stacked items with selected file's properties" tool

Auto Face Recognition for Photos

Auto Tagging
  • Basically just take confishy's plugin and add it as core functionality.
  • Add it as an item in the tree with each rule as subitems. Us the right pane to show which files have been autotagged

Functions GUI
Creating smarltists and playlists using the wizard is very user friendly. Extend this to rules too. At the beginning, even just adding the "if" rule to smartlist wizards would be a pretty revolutionary change.

Theater View
  • Make theater view configuration computer specific or library specific. At the moment it is a hodgepodge of the two.
  • Create a 100-200 pixel info pane at the bottom of the screen when in thumbnails view so that we can see metadata for a selected item without having to go all the way to the file level. I don't mind losing the screen space. I would greatly appreciate the ability to see the full titles of my files (they get cut off when browsing thumbnails currently) and basic info such as the rating.
  • Add a way to be able to use Theater view in the follwing way "Play an item from the list > jump to Big Screen mode > go to Playing Now.
    At the moment we have to jump back to the list from Big Screen mode and then go to Playing Now.
  • Ability to see flickr user streams or group streams (rss feeds) as views in Theater view.

Mac Client

WHS Addin

Stream music to remotely connected mobile devices even if the server doesnt have a soundcard

Library Server
  • Auto sync tag changes from clients to the media server
  • Ability to make changes to views
  • Ability to change cover art from a client
  • Ability to use Library Tools from a client, or else grey out these options. Especially the "rename..." tool. It is dangerous when you use it from a client and the server is set to auto import.

"Rename Files" tool
  • Ability to add "playlist name" as a category in the "directories" path
  • Wizard for the functions
  • Ability to save schema of rules. ie. Ability to create separate schema for dealing with Audio, Images, and Video. Clicking on your "Audio" schema would auto fill the search, base path, directories, and file info fields.

Tree
  • Add a "Add view" item at the bottom of the list of views
  • In "Customize View", make "set rules for file display" the very first thing a user does. Take it out of "Advanced" and put it above the list of categories.
    Make the whole screen more "1,2,3" like.
    Use graphics to show which pane you will be editing (highlight the top pane, bottom pane, groups, and list etc. as the user selects each one to show them what they will be changing)

Auto Metadata
I have carefully tagged my music and movie data, but there are still gaps in it. I want to be able to get the data for just specific categories. ie. for my Music I just want to search YADB for the [Date] category. For my movies I just want to search for cover art or [Director]
  • Allow us to upload our metadata and cover art for ripped movies

sunfire7

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:20 am »

Auto Metadata
I have carefully tagged my music and movie data, but there are still gaps in it. I want to be able to get the data for just specific categories. ie. for my Music I just want to search YADB for the [Date] category. For my movies I just want to search for cover art or [Director]
  • Allow us to upload our metadata and cover art for ripped movies

I support this too !
Mac version early bird

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 02:46:43 am »

Hi,

First thanks for the great software.

Here are my wishes for the next version:

1) The most obvious: locked views especially for playing now view
2) Search field for each split view or something similar: I always find myself looking in playing now when I want to search the library
3) Command to reorder the playing now by artist (for remote control purpose)

I also think there should be an audio only version of MC. But maybe you're heading that way with MJ14.

Sheugel

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 03:48:55 am »

Please Please Please

Add to the "Media sub type" field a choice for "Music"

or as suggested previously, lock in the standard values  and allow users to add there own subtypes in additionally.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 03:52:00 am »

i second the editing of subtypes - adding of more. Be great to have documentaries. small video clips, self help movies,  music ringtones, soundboards sections.

ive also noticed in my library some files could be categorized in movie subtype and music video subtype. it would be nice to be able to put those files in multiple subtypes.
GF brought that up the other day. ohh this (song\documentary\clip, strange file. I  literally had no clue where to place it) belongs in music videos under rock. but ALSO DEF belongs in our movies subtype under The Disturbing and Utterly Strange Genre(Actually Keyword). But it wouldnt allow me to do that so i had to goto folder location copy the file (luckily was only 230 mb) and place it on another part of my hardrive (Rename It) so that i could have that file in multiple sub types. yes im wasting hdd space. but at least the file can be seen in theaterview in both those subtype locations.

ive also ran across this with musicals,now i have musicals in movies subtype because they are like a movie, but they could fit under subtype music videos as there own genre... musicals. the same goes for music documentaries those i think could go under both movies and music videos. just something i've noticed and have sometimes caught myself scratching my head while tagging... hmmmm pink floyd the wall... awww movie? or music video?  others the doors, wizard of oz, sound of music etc...

i guess why this is important to me and maybe others. is after years pass. we will all have extensive libraries. And When your in the mood to watch that one classic film from your past. ya wanna be able to find it and quick and when your not sure if its under music video, movie, documentary(another point.. where does a documentary go?) right now i have tv documentaries and movie documentaries, i find myself forgetting which subtype i put that documentary under.
 I dunno, maybe others have got better sorting skills then i do. but for me its tough when it comes to tagging time and trying to look ahead. Ok... which subtype will every one look first to find this certain file, and it's backfired on me a few times already. so i have to sit down have a debate with the crew and we all decide. ok... it goes in this subtype.

I've had this exact same problem with all movies and music video's as well when it comes to genres. i cant place files in multiple genres, because if i tag a movie say action;drama it shows up in theaterview as a genre named action;drama. meaning there not 2 seperate genres, there considered one. so i have had to tag all my files by using keywords as genres(which then allows me to have multiple genres but there actually keywords), but by doing so it is lowering my sorting capabilities meaning if all genres are named by keywords i cant have sublevels. so now i have keywords as action, drama, documentaries, documentaries nature, documentaries psychiatry etc(Makes my keywords list\View Quite Large and not as organized)... but if we could have multiple genres one would always be able to find the files because then they would be in multiple locations (as they are now with a keyword view)meaning you could have genres for wizard of oz as kids and family, scary, classic movies, top 500 movies. for a genre of documentaries you could then have keywords for the types as i stated above(allowing you to sort your documentaries as keywords under the documentary genre.)

if genres were to get implemented i know for a fact i would sit down and redo all my tagging and change all keywords to genres and make my keywords be subtypes of genres like i explained for documentaries. because in the long run it would make finding files much easier because they would be in multiple genres elivating the guessing work.

maybe this just physically wouldnt work? I Don't know And Please Correct Me If I'm doing Something Wrong, if all movies were allowed to have multiple genres and we had a genre of documentaries that had keywords in it for sub genres that would work. But then if we choose action movies (and our theaterview settings were genres,keywords,name) would it show keywords as unassigned? (then we would have to click unassigned for those action movies to show(due to action movies not having keywords) (leaving us with one more step to see those action movie names) or is it possible that if action movies dont have keywords we could make it show all names instead of unassigned, bringing us straight to those action movies? this would be ideal for me. sometimes these scenarios i run into are hard for me to explain.

thanks i know sometimes i run on with my posts. but i like to make sure i explain it with as much detail as possible.

BTW.. if i'm the only one experiencing this with genres,keyword, sub levels, media subtypes in theaterview, and these are issues i have caused for myself due to lack of tagging knowledge please direct me where to go in this forum so i can fix this. Cause it would really help us alot for sorting and finding files faster in our library.

vagskal

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 04:24:27 am »

Feature suggestions (most of which have been suggested before):

1. Support reading and writing the TORY ID3v2.3 tag for mp3 files (and the TDOR tag for ID3v2.4) and the ORIGYEAR Vorbis comment, compare this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50762.msg361205#msg361205. Synchronize the TORY and ORIGYEAR tags into one field in MC and write from that field back TORY for MP3 and ORIGYEAR for flac.

2. Better Synchronization (read/write) between MC fields and common Vorbis comments
MC Field                  ID3v2.3                 Vorbis comment
Album Artist            TPE2                      ALBUMARTIST (if only ALBUMARTIST exist in file write only that comment) [Fixed in .101, thanks!]
Disc #                    TPOS                     DISCNUMBER [Fixed in .95, thanks!]
Publisher                 TPUB                     ORGANIZATION [Fixed in .102, thanks!]

And better handling of the MC field Album Artist when writing data back to mp3 files, as suggested here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53022.msg362772#msg362772

3. Support reading and writing the ITUNESCOMPILATION (TCMP) ID3v2.3 tag for mp3 files and the COMPILATION Vorbis comment.

4. When importing to a MC list type field, let the user choose the field delimiter(s) (with ; as default).

5. Support copying of large playlists to paste/export the data to Excel, compare this link http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55761.msg378846#msg378846

6. Make it more user friendly to add a custom list type field, compare http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55761.msg378846#msg378846

7. Support (calculation and) writing of replay gain - track and album - into the the tags as per today's de facto standard. Most other competing software can do that. Compare http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53196.msg363242#msg363242

8. Native support for, at least, sending music to Squeezebox players and preferably even better integration with Squeezebox Server (syncing different players, adding music to a playlist in different manners, showing the song playing on the Squeezeboxes etc.). Collect automatically and show in MC in MC additional information about the song now playing, i.a. artist biography/photos, album review, tour schedule, lyrics etc. Charge extra for this, if necessary. Compare for a sketch the muso album browser for Squeezebox Server.

9. Add support for AccurateRip and tagging from AllMusic Guide (for an additional payment if necessary) like dbPoweramp has. If you do that, and what is said about replay gain in 7 above, I would use MC also for ripping.

10. Introduce macros, that the user can save and easily reuse, for common tagging operations.

11. The ability to show and handle in MC the char-set used for the music file.

12. Let scroll by typing respect the settings in the ignore articles when sorting option, i.e. let scroll by typing ignore the article "the" so that you can scroll to an artist whose name starts with T, as further explained here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53241.msg362720#msg362720

13. Make it a user option to write or not write Tool tags.

RainCaster

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 05:16:23 am »

Better device support for smart phones (HTC WinMo and iPhones), iPods, Zunes.

Lightweight installation for DLNA server only feature.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:34 am »

Another thing that went through my mind (yes i have a brain, isn't that nice?:P) Would be an indicator near the "Podcasts" selection that would show the total "new" podcasts, maybe like itunes has for its podcasts menu (badges with number count)? That would be something easy to implement (i think) and it would greatly enhance the podcast feature because now you actually have to browse each and every feed separately to see if there's any new podcast available from the sources selected.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 06:23:52 am »

Another thing that went through my mind (yes i have a brain, isn't that nice?:P) Would be an indicator near the "Podcasts" selection that would show the total "new" podcasts, maybe like itunes has for its podcasts menu (badges with number count)? That would be something easy to implement (i think) and it would greatly enhance the podcast feature because now you actually have to browse each and every feed separately to see if there's any new podcast available from the sources selected.

you have the views..set it up the way you like it, if you want it more "report like" with numbers use the detailed view and your own criteria for example imported last 7 days (today) (yesterday), not listened to...detailed view in combination with searchlists is a killer (at least what i think  :))
MT5FR

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:49 am »

> Locked views for split views, playing now, etc
> More and better skins, aka. aero styles
> Ability to keep left vertical menu strip off

Thanks, looking forward to MC15

TC  :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 08:11:08 am »

Theater View really needs a dedicated view for Series.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

sunfire7

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:53 am »

indeed !!
Mac version early bird

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:26 am »

stevenf:
i think that can be done with the current builds, tell me if this is kinda what you meant:

I customized the artist view from "Album by Artist" to "Album (year)"

I can't seem to replicate it.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »

You can create this, but its a bit of a fiddle

1) (not really needed but nice) Create a View under Video called TV Shows - I have a file saved of this view, but can't seem to find a way to attach it to to this post

2a) In Tools --> Options --> Theatre View, Add a new Library Item under Video then rename it to "TV Shows".

2b) In the details section, click Add, then add the library fields "Series" and "Season".

2c) Click Set Rules for Display, then Import/Export and paste in "[Media Sub Type]=[TV Show] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode]" (no quotes) - I think this should work but essentially you want show just TV Shows set in the Media Sub Type, then sort using Series, Season and Episode

This should now give a nice view in both theatre view and normal view

Daydream

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:54 pm »

Nothing wrong with your approach, but MrHaugen is talking about something else, more than just setting viewing criteria.

Coming from the same angle I still find my requests from 9 months ago pretty valid. Consider them retyped.

SmoothJimB

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 10:53:57 pm »

An easy one! (hopefully)

I love ripping audiobooks and listening to them either with MC or sync them to my device. 

My preferred method of ripping is to rip each disk to a single track (like the join tracks feature in itunes) and label each track as follows:

Gone With the Wind 01-10
Gone With the Wind 02-10
Etc.

This way they will play in most mp3 players that only play in Alpha order by track.  It eliminates the mess of having hundreds of tracks for longer audiobooks.

I would like MC to have a "Rip multi-disc Audio program" feature where I would be prompted to Enter the title of the Audiobook in this case and the total number of discs as well as a separate bit rate and encoder setting than used for typical rips.  It would also prompt me for the "Author/Artist" for tagging purposes.

Then MC would proimpt me for each disc in succession using the title as the album name and the track name adding the disc number and total discs in the format above.  The track number and disc number fields would be tagged as well. After each disc was ripped it would eject the and request the next one until the total discs # of discs had been ripped.

Each disc would get ripped in to a single file, I won't need the cue file.

This Would make this whole process very smooth and would limit my tagging to just droping the cover art in to the tracks.

Thank you.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 11:36:25 pm »

My Proposal: Real Right Pane navigation for Playlists and Internal Explorer.

I started a separate topic for that because I feel very strongly about that one feature compared to other Ideas I have because

- I predict that it will have mass appeal to users at all levels..
- it would make my MC experience much better
- it is very simple and MC 14 is already close to the behavior I desire.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56724.0

justsomeguy

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09:10 am »

MC REALLY needs some work on it's device sync flexibility, at least for me it does.

1) apply volume leveling to tracks on sync.  This can be done without losing any quality or re-encoding for mp3's using the free mp3gain.

2) ability to apply a filename rule for the tracks sync'd.  There are certain situations I may want the filenames formatted differently than what's on the PC.

3) ability to use something like [Playlist]\[Artist]\[Album]\ as a folder rule.  I sync multiple playlists to one device.  Right now I don't believe you can use [Playlist] to generate a folder for the track based on the playlist name it belongs to.

4) being able to add an auto incremented number to the beginning of a sync'd tracks filename based on it's order within the playlist.  So the tracks playback in the same order on the device as in the playlist.  I use several devices that don't support playlists.  Maybe, [auto number]-[artist]-[title]

5) support maybe VBscripts.  Would be nice to be able to write my own script to accomplish some task that isn't supported in the normal interface.

Honestly I have come across another program that actually does all these things.  I won't name that program here because I wouldn't like someone coming by my place of business and touting my competition.  The reason I bring up these things that I'd like to see is because I'd prefer to continue using MC and not switch to something else.  MC has a great interface and it can't be beat when it comes to keeping the library organized.

MrHaugen

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 04:53:05 am »

1) (not really needed but nice) Create a View under Video called TV Shows - I have a file saved of this view, but can't seem to find a way to attach it to to this post

2a) In Tools --> Options --> Theatre View, Add a new Library Item under Video then rename it to "TV Shows".

2b) In the details section, click Add, then add the library fields "Series" and "Season".

2c) Click Set Rules for Display, then Import/Export and paste in "[Media Sub Type]=[TV Show] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode]" (no quotes) - I think this should work but essentially you want show just TV Shows set in the Media Sub Type, then sort using Series, Season and Episode

This should now give a nice view in both theatre view and normal view

That is far away from a dedicated series view my friend. I have used what you describe, for many years, but it gives little of what is needed for series. We need images and info for Series and seasons, not only for individual episodes. We also need indication of viewed/not viewed on Series, season level. Graphical indication is the most pleasing for the eye.

This could all be done with todays notes functionality and adding another view to TV imo.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

vagskal

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 11:35:14 am »

7. Support (calculation and) writing of replay gain - track and album - into the the tags as per today's de facto standard. Most other competing software can do that. Compare http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53196.msg363242#msg363242

Oh, and I forgot what looks like a bug: If you search for files where replay gain is <empty> you get also files where replay gain is 0 (or the offset value set in the options). A search for an <empty> tag should not return results where the tag actually contains a value, 0 (zero) or what MC considers to be 0, only results where there is no such tag in the file or where the tag exists but has no value at all entered (null).

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:38 pm »

I would like to see more TV changes.  I am currently not using it to capture tv, but use gbpvr.
Maybe these items are not true any more, but I have not seen any updates that allow this:
- Clear QAM support
- support 1 MC system to do the recordings ("TV Server"), saved to a shared folder, but allow submitting from any other remote MC system (TV Clients). That includes client epg lookups, click on show then record options.  This would also show if there is already a show set to record at this time, and give conflict options. This works well in gbpvr and I believe in BeyondTV, but not very easy to do in MC. It would be nice to be able to use 1 program (MC) for all of my items - music, tv, pictures.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

If it can't make it into 14...

(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55092.msg374785#msg374785)

Also, I like the remote stuff your doing. Native Android / iPh / WebOS apps? Surely must exist dev packages that will allow you to just put a shell / UI and then basically have the thing interpret what you already have?
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »

If it can't make it into 14...

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D872523_154074_60979

(http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55092.msg374785#msg374785)

Also, I like the remote stuff your doing. Native Android / iPh / WebOS apps? Surely must exist dev packages that will allow you to just put a shell / UI and then basically have the thing interpret what you already have?

What a great idea; this would be very welcome.

I would like to see multiple location control improved.  Specifically in regards to TV, Timeshifting, and library sharing.

For example, I have an HTPC with my raided hard drives in an aluminum case above my Receiver, below the TV.  The TV is the only monitor for the HTPC.  It's currently also hooked up to U-Verse, but I'm hoping/planning on dumping it soon.  This will result in the HTPC being the only input into the TV/Monitor.

I have a local library stored on this machine.

I have a local library stored on my laptop.  I do most work, tagging, ripping and listening on the laptop.

My wife has a laptop, it also has a local library.

I have a dual digital TV tuner in the HTPC.  The local library has these tuners configured correctly.  I record TV to the HTPC Raid 1 drives partition locally for TV, and long term storage and music and photos are on the RAID 5 drives.

I can watch TV on my laptop if I am using library server on the HTPC, and have the HTPC served library as the "local" library selected on the laptop.  This won't let me actually delete watched shows, or move them to someplace to delete later as even a temporary solution.  I have to either go to the HTPC or remote in, or navigate to them in windows explorer to actually delete the files.  this is not ideal.  I also cannot setup any timeshifting with this library either.  it appears I can, but it doesn't actually record.

I can't watch TV at all with the local laptop library loaded, the laptop has no tuners, so no channels can be selected.  it also seems to not let me even watch the recorded TV on the HTPC thru the TV interface.  I can't see any channels, so I can't set up or see or change any recording of TV from this library either.

I have tried setting up another library stored on the HTPC, to a shared drive, and use that library from the laptop, but it's very slow at some things, mostly changing views, but I think also in the starting of playback.  this doesn't solve all of the TV usability issues, it allows me to load TV channel data and the program guide, but says Media Center encountered errors and to verify the location, which are both the same.

I have been playing around with this setup while writing this and testing, and so far things are going reasonable fast, more so than the last time I remember trying it.  videos will not play well, which seems to be latency, but might be filter/setting related, I haven't playing in this library much, mainly just quick testing a few weeks ago.  This setup is closest to working it seems, but still takes some work to get setup and still falls short of "just working".

I would love to see a way where I can just set up a profile on MC (which I could copy from another profile) and set up all of my settings, and my library (views lists, etc) and whenever I launch MC it asks which user, I click my picture or name, enter a password if I want, and my profile loads up and looks and works the same for the user (me) no matter which computer I launch it on.  if I'm on the laptop, it knows where all the media is, what hardware I have in my laptop, network speed and it will downsample any media that can't stream full-bandwith full speed, let's me rate anything, rename anything, move anything, whatever, and if I am on any machine (my laptop, my windows mobile phone, iPhone, andriod, netbook, PS3, X-Box 360, in wall LCD screen, iPad, whatever) which is connected to my network, when I go to use MC, it asks who I am, and everything is set for me, and all of my views, playlists, stats, shows, whatever is there for me.  it always looks the same, as far as the platform will allow, but I always have full control.  if I start MC from the laptop, play something, get up, go to the living room (HTPC) and launch/open MC and it's not been controlled in the last XX minutes, it asks which user (or I hit switch user), it logs me in there, logs me out of my laptop and asks if I want to continue playing whatever I was playing on the laptop or whatever (TV, Music, Movies, Netflix, Hulu, custom?) else. Let's me start TV, set recordings, everything any install is capable of.

If I'm on the HTPC, I want that local playback, unless I specifically choose another zone.  If I connect with my phone, I can set it's local zone to what's connected to the outdoor speakers, since I'm likely outside if I'm connecting on the phone, I could change this to whatever by default, including locally on the phone.

The reason for users vs libraries is that my wife certainly would not rate Rob Zombie a 5, ever, so my smartlists irritate her.  My recorded TV is not always what she wants to see, and hers is NEVER what I want to see.  I would like her to easily copy or accept playlists or views or whatever from me, but to maintain her own library and preferences.  I will set up the computer and network and library and path settings up in her profile (copy from mine) and she can tag away and customize from there.  delete most of my smartlists, make her own, and enjoy it her way.  but whenever she opens/launches, she sees her stuff her way, no matter the location/connection point, platform ability adjusted.

This will work even if launched remotely from a portable/thumb drive at a friends house - it can be setup via a wizard in MC.  "I wish to use this thumb drive from a remote location OUTSIDE my local/trusted network."  (MC makes the settings internally, gives a couple of suggestions for setting up the firewall and router), verification testing in the wizard, and bam, she visits a friend a few blocks away, or in Mexico, launches, it connects, tests bandwith, and streams her music as efficiently as possible.

Mainly, I don't really want the commonly requested client/server, I want a smart profile system.  You just set up user profiles (like libraries now), and they have full control (or not) wherever they login.

MC self-communicates to know that this location does not have a TV card, but that one does, and the TV files are stored at V:\Videos\Recorded TV and this machine is connected via Wireless G; convert/downsample stream to required level and render where it was requested.  I want it to be smarter than me, and know how to just work :)

I think if you could make it just work, anything like I've described, with anywhere near the simplicity of a set-top box for the masses, you'll have LOTS of converts.

Here's to hoping :)
pretend this is something funny

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11:59 am »

I love the 3-D Wall / Showroom view for guests to scan my collection, but really would love to see it refined.
With a large library it can be a bit cumbersome.

For example:

Allow an alphabet to be displayed (perhaps below covers display) and selected to reduce the number of Album Artists displayed and make it easier to find a particular selection.

Allow display by a chosen Genre for easier selection.

Allow mouse wheel to be customized (personally I'd prefer it slide the wall rather than zoom).
. . . the game is rigged

)p(

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »

What I want so see most is better support for theaterview themes. Thanks to a few plugins we know have access to great artwork for both movies and tv series. Lets put them to use!

peter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up