INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE9 and MC (IMPORTANT NEWS)  (Read 5564 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
IE9 and MC (IMPORTANT NEWS)
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:28 am »

Microsoft is rolling out their next web browser, Internet Explorer 9.  In the beta stage, this worked with all versions of MC.  But when they switched to RC (Release Candidate) it caused all recent versions of MC to crash.  [EDIT -- the release version of IE9 works and is safe to install.]

Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and may did fix it.  We could not take the chance that they would not, so Matt has managed to get the Chromium browser working as MC's internal browser in MC16.  It was an admirable piece of work.

In last night's build (16.0.47) you can switch between IE and Chromium under Options / Tree and View.  It's at the top of the MC16 Beta board.

This does not require installing the Chrome browser.  The Chromium engine is included with MC16.

Unfortunately, this is a big change and we will not roll it back to MC15.  So your choices are:

1.  Don't install IE9.  IE8 will work fine.

2.  If you want to use IE9, you will need to upgrade to MC16.  It's currently $19.98 through March 14.

We recognize that this is not a perfect solution.  Please hurl any rocks in Microsoft's direction.  In this thread you can find a link to their feedback site and a link to uninstall instructions for IE9.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: IE9 and MC (IMPORTANT NEWS)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:58:59 am »

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

MC is definitely a great product and I hope this doesn't hurt people's opinion of MC too much. Not being a software developer I have no idea how costly it is for JRiver to insure compatibility to other manufacturer's software, but it must be substantial to warrant this stance. I do think, however, that the 'buy the new version or else...' ultimatum is a callous one.

Let's all hope that Microsoft fixes the so called "problem" in it's official release on 3/14.

Does this mean that JRiver will need to do MC16 updates each time Google discovers something security related since MC16 will have its own Chrome engine built into MC?

Thanks,
JRiver purchaser since MJ5
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:29 pm »

I do think, however, that the 'buy the new version or else...' ultimatum is a callous one.

By definition, an "ultimatum" cannot be expressed as one of two options—especially when one of those options is "do nothing."  ;)

tboy34

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Tim
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »

The Final version of IE9 Is coming on March 15th. Will that version be ok with MC 15??
tvk

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »

We don't know yet.

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »

I think it will be reckless and counterproductive for you not to support the final version of IE9 and MC15. As a paid-up subscriber to MC since version 8.0, I am loyal. BUT, to give an ultimatum to the public that they can have IE9 (much improved over IE8) or they can have MC15, but not both, is silly. It's not as if MC16 is a finished product. To demand that people move to an early beta or give up having the latest Explorer version is an unfair choice. If MC16 were finished, sure, you could say you're not going to back-engineer previous versions. But MC16 just became available a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to give up my stable MC15 yet. And it's not like Chrome isn't already my everyday browser. But in this Windows world I also need to be able to run IE for certain Windows-centric apps and web sites. Do you really want to force people to choose between MC15 and IE9? Can you afford the market share hit? Can anyone afford any market share hit vs. Microsoft?

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:55 am »

If MC16 were finished, sure, you could say you're not going to back-engineer previous versions.

There's no practical difference in the "stability" of the two versions. Since some new features might be construed as things that address some need or issue, MC16 could only be considered more stable than MC15. So this just amounts to an argument for MC16 being "released" on or before March 15. It will be unfortunate if Microsoft chooses not to fix the problem and people are "forced" to upgrade. But that will be Microsoft's doing, not JRiver's. And all it means to users who feel compelled to upgrade as a result is they'll be paying the fee earlier than they would have otherwise (and getting a lower price as a result).

Do you really want to force people to choose between MC15 and IE9?

Why not? The only people really affected by this are those who don't get much use out of MC and would rather never pay an upgrade fee. The additional cost in that circumstance is actually a cost of upgrading to IE9. Complaints about that should be directed at Microsoft.

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:08 am »

I disagree. I get a lot of use out of MC AND I have to be able to use IE for business. I have always upgraded MC editions and plan to upgrade to MC16, but I disagree that early betas of MC are as stable as the current official releases, in my 8 versions of upgrades. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge when I want to kick back and listen to my media, or now I do. I will wait to see what happens with the final release IE; but so long as we don't know the cause of the conflict between the two programs, assuming it's Microsoft's fault is premature. So far MC is the only program that I run that is not compatible with IE9. Citing other conflicts that are essentially web sites is not the same as an executable crashing due to IE. I would like to see the cause of the problem investigated by both companies, and fixed by one of them.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:45 am »

I think it will be reckless and counterproductive for you not to support the final version of IE9 and MC15...

I think you are reading too much into it.

There is a known MS issue with IE9 RC. The final version of IE9 is scheduled for 3/15. And a specific question was asked if that new IE9 will work with MC15?

The answer from Jim is "We don't know yet". MS has not communicated what fixes are in the 3/15 version of IE9. So there is no way to verify it until it is released.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:38 pm »

I have had IE9 RC1 on my PC for a while (2 weeks?) and tonight MC15 is crashing. Why now? I've been running IE9 at work with MC also for weeks and still have it on there working fine. What exactly is the issue and why is MC so heavily tethered to IE9 installation? All my other apps seem to work fine...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:19 pm »

IE9 beta was OK.  IE9 RC started causing MC (all versions) to crash.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »

1.  Don't install IE9.  IE8 will work fine.

What about automatic updates via MS? There's a very good possibility that they're going to push it that way beginning on the 15th and there's a possibility that it breaks users of MC15, and I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of MC15 users out there that haven't checked here (Interact Furum) or are even aware that IE9 is on the horizon and they won't know that there are problems if they arrise. Now imagine how furious customers will be once they do realize that the only way to resolve the issue is to pay for an upgrade?! Not reverse engineering MC 15 could be a huge mistake and that doesn't seem very fair to users of MC 15 to me, not to mention the reprocussions and possible bad plubicity of not supporting your own latest stable release. Jim, please reconsider.

(For the record, I already have paid for the upgrade to MC16 so I don't have a dog in the hunt, I'm just thinking about JRiver and their customers.)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:07 pm »

HiFiTubes,

IE9 "Update Versions: RC" = Release Candidate

This is not a beta, but usually a final version prior to the official release.

rick.ca,

As a member of the "MC Beta Team" I hope your views are not the official views of JRiver. To say "Why not" to forcing a choice between MC15 and IE9 and then add that "The only people really affected by this are those who don't get much use out of MC and would rather never pay an upgrade fee" is insulting to many loyal MC purchasers. I have been paying the upgrade fees (yes, plural) for a long time and this is an issue for me.

My objection is that you (JRiver) are forcing the purchase of a beta MC rather than making the current MC version compatible with the current version of the most common browser. (Yes, I know that IE9 isn't officially released...it will be Monday.) Never mind that MC15 has barely been out a year (My purchase was on 4/22/10 and I am typically an early purchaser).

Your attitude toward loyal customers is disturbing. I ask that you please don't flame me for what I believe is bringing up a valid concern. My concern is not just for myself but also for JRiver. I feel that your (JRiver's) attitude to people regarding this issue is not very friendly and shows a lack of care for your current licensees.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:18:21 pm »

As a member of the "MC Beta Team" I hope your views are not the official views of JRiver.

I'm not JRiver. You may be assured JRiver officialdom wishes for nothing more than for me to shut up. I'm just a user who finds this sort of complaint draining. You have the right to choose to be unhappy about something beyond everyone's control (and which hasn't happened yet) and vent about it here. I should not have wasted my time pointing out better choices are available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up