INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to alter the replay gain values?  (Read 12824 times)

cgbissett

• Recent member
Is it possible to alter the replay gain values?
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:27:21 pm »

I have used the Analyze Audio tool to determine the reply gain, I only use it for shuffling.  It is generally quite good at bringing the volume of different albums together, however I have noticed that my older CD's playback at lower volumes when using "volume levelling", is there a way to alter the replay gain value's once analyzed, thus bringing the volumes closer together?

Regards Craig

dprime

• Recent member
Re: Is it possible to alter the replay gain values?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 03:51:43 am »

I was hoping to alter the ReplayGain for some tracks too where the automatic audio analysis has not done the best job. Does anyone know if this field can be made editable. It seems to be read only when I go to tag it with a different value.

Thanks,
David

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »

I was hoping to alter the ReplayGain for some tracks too where the automatic audio analysis has not done the best job. Does anyone know if this field can be made editable. It seems to be read only when I go to tag it with a different value

I haven't been able to edit my replay gain values, either.

If it's not possible to edit that field, how about a second field that could tweak the active relay gain?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:08:03 am »

Try DSP > Volume leveling and choose Track Based.

MP3Tag can be used to edit ReplayGain values.
How this edits carry over in MC is a different question

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:59:51 am »

A way to alter the playback volume inside MC would be to use scthom's EQdb plugin. It can store and automatically load file specific EQ values, including the Pre Amp slider value (which can be used for this purpose).

http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net/eqdb.html
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54101
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »

A way to alter the playback volume inside MC would be to use scthom's EQdb plugin. It can store and automatically load file specific EQ values, including the Pre Amp slider value (which can be used for this purpose).

http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net/eqdb.html
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54101

This sounds great, but I can't seem to properly install the plug-in.

Using version 16.0.141 on Windows Home 7 64 bit. Downloaded EQdbv3.0.0. from the sourceforge site and unzipped it. Open Plug-In Manager and click Add Plug-In, chose EQdb.dll file. The plug-in never shows up in the Interface category, or anywhere else that I can find.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »

If I recall correctly I had to do some tricks when I installed the EQdb plug-in to MC16. I can try installing it on my laptop (which doesn't have it yet) and post detailed info.

In any case I have EQdb installed on my main MC16 machine and it works fine (though on a 32-bit Windows, but that shouldn't matter). I prefer to use it in the split view mode so that I can quickly show and hide the plugin interface by dragging the divider. See the attached screenshot.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

Apparently the mjp installer copies the plugin dll file to the correct place, but for some reason does not correctly register it. (The EQdb.dll file goes to the [MC16 program location]\Plugins folder.)

After running the EQdb.mjp file you should be able to add the plugin to Windows Registry manually by saving the following code as an EQdb.reg file with Notepad and running this reg file (any filename will do, but the filename extension must be .reg).

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 16\Plugins\Interface\EQdb]
"CLSID"="{8A2D8F3A-19CB-4449-9CC6-079180930B78}"
"IVersion"=dword:00000001
"PluginMode"=dword:00000001
"Company"="Scot Thompson"
"Version"="3.0.0"
"URL"="http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net"
"Copyright"="Copyright (c) 2005-2009 Scot Thompson"

You may need to have administrator rights.

dprime

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:53 am »

The EQdb plugin looks good, but unfortunately seems to do too much for what I want which is just to alter the volume of specific tracks whilst leaving the EQ settings to those sent in the DSP Studio Equaliser Custom preset. The EQdb plugin seems to override the Custom preset setting in the DSP Studio with that for the individual track, substituting flat EQ when the track has no predefined EQ setting.

@Vincent, yes MP3tag works, setting the new replay gain value in MP3Tag and then using  "Update Library (from tags)" in MC. I was just hoping for more foolproof method to use while DJing live...

David

gappie

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

I was hoping to alter the ReplayGain for some tracks too where the automatic audio analysis has not done the best job. Does anyone know if this field can be made editable. It seems to be read only when I go to tag it with a different value.

Thanks,
David
there is a way to change the value of replay gain (and number plays and some other fields). make an expression collumn, put [replay gain] in there and change the values you want.

:)
gab

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:29:38 am »

Ah Ha! That works, and soooo easy. Many thanks, gab!

there is a way to change the value of replay gain (and number plays and some other fields). make an expression collumn, put [replay gain] in there and change the values you want.

gab

dprime

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:48 am »

Thanks Gab, just what I wanted and easy to alter values on the fly.

David

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

The EQdb plugin looks good, but unfortunately seems to do too much for what I want which is just to alter the volume of specific tracks whilst leaving the EQ settings to those sent in the DSP Studio Equaliser Custom preset. The EQdb plugin seems to override the Custom preset setting in the DSP Studio with that for the individual track, substituting flat EQ when the track has no predefined EQ setting.

My main use for the EQdb plugin is fxing the EQ problems in certain music releases. Some are obviously too bassy, too bright, etc and a slight EQ correction can really make them to sound more in line with the others. In my opinion this is a more common problem than the volume level differences because usually Replay Gain works quite well. However, EQdb can be used for fixing both problems.

You can use some other EQ plugin for additional EQ needs, like having different stored presets for different playback systems.

MC has the built-in Parametric Equalizer for room and speaker frequency response correction, but it is practically suitable only for a permanent configuration.

I can recommend the free Voxengo Marvel GEQ 16-band graphic equalizer VST plugin for easily storing and using various EQ adjustments. It works with any channel configuration (from mono to 7.1). It is probably the best freeware graphic EQ plugin. http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »

So this is curious.  I would have expected this to place the current value of said field into each field shown under the expression column.  But it seems to create a reference to the original, which can modify the original.  It seems to work.  Is this documented somewhere?  If not, it should be, since it is pretty useful.

Thanks gab.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 04:54:20 pm »

So this is curious.  I would have expected this to place the current value of said field into each field shown under the expression column.  But it seems to create a reference to the original, which can modify the original.  It seems to work.  Is this documented somewhere?  If not, it should be, since it is pretty useful.

I would say it's a bug that it lets you edit a non-editable field with an expression, but I don't think people would like the fix.

Non-editable fields are normally non-editable for a reason.  For example, there's a correct way to calculate Replay Gain so it's strange to modify it by hand.

It's not that we're trying to keep data locked up, but instead just trying to keep things understandable.  Imagine "Hey, I converted my MP3s from 128 to 256 just by editing a column!"

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 05:03:19 pm »

Interesting!  It does provide a curious "workaround", and so esoteric as to probably be fine left alone.

I took the gappie's cue here and tried it against [Number Plays], and discovered, sure enough, it worked.

I appreciate the necessity and nature of some non-editable fields.  If you don't mind my asking, why is Number Plays read- / clear-only?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »

I appreciate the necessity and nature of some non-editable fields.  If you don't mind my asking, why is Number Plays read- / clear-only?

Things filled by the program like Replay Gain, Duration, Bitrate, Play stats, etc. aren't normally editable.  The thinking is that there's a right answer, so why would you edit it?  And if you edit it, does that mean the program should stop updating it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »

I would say it's a bug that it lets you edit a non-editable field with an expression, but I don't think people would like the fix.

Non-editable fields are normally non-editable for a reason.  For example, there's a correct way to calculate Replay Gain so it's strange to modify it by hand.

It's not that we're trying to keep data locked up, but instead just trying to keep things understandable.  Imagine "Hey, I converted my MP3s from 128 to 256 just by editing a column!"

it only works with 'clear only' type of fields, and have worked that way since i started using mc.. even made a contribution to the wiki a long time ago. so, i sure hope this will stay. especially with replay gain,  most importantly with silent tracks messing up album gain.  but also with number plays (ever tried to test a video file, it will mess up np and make the value unusable).

thanks
gab

MrC

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »

Things filled by the program like Replay Gain, Duration, Bitrate, Play stats, etc. aren't normally editable.  The thinking is that there's a right answer, so why would you edit it?  And if you edit it, does that mean the program should stop updating it?

I can see that, and entirely get the reason for avoiding modifications to certain critical fields.

But not play stats... as we know what they say about stats.

The nuisance currently for me, albeit an extremely minor one, is that Number Plays increments prematurely in the case of DLNA.  Its semantics becomes Number of Attempted Plays, and doesn't track play failures.  Number plays is incremented immediately upon play attempt.  I mentioned this in some other thread.  So the values for track #1 are too high and incorrect.  Play failures occur *every* time I playback a track, whenever my disc has gone into low power mode, and the combo of MC > Whitebear > SB time's out, and MC advances to the next track.

So I'd like to be able to correct the errors.

One additional reason.  I use MC to manage all-things-music.  But sometimes for convenience start playback to my Squeezebox devices from a browser via SB's web interface rather than via RDC > MC > Whitebear > SB.  Likewise, I might playback on some other remote device.  Thus, playback stats are incorrect, and I'd like to be able to quickly update them to account for this.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 05:59:00 pm »

In my opinion, it is fine to adjust the measured Replay Gain values directly if that is preferred. Replay Gain is not exact science and personal tastes vary. However, there is one caveat. The already calculated album gain value does not update automatically when the track values are adjusted. Previously I have found that changing the album tag in one of the album tracks to some other value and then back again will do the trick.

Matt,

I'd like to repeat my old request: please adopt scthom's EQdb and integrate it into MC's UI. I guess he would not object this. (As he didn't object adopting the FLAC and Wavpack plugins.)

For example, iTunes can store volume adjustments and existing EQ presets to files (in iTunes: right-click a file or selected files > Get Info > Options...). With EQdb MC can do the same and and actually a bit more because it is not necessary to create a new EQ preset before the correction can be stored to the files and the adjustment can be easily fine-tuned during playback. If you want to adjust a complete album place the album files in Playing Now, start playback, make the preferred EQ adjustments and press the "Save To Playlist" button.

You could expose the EQ interface for this plugin and an additional standard EQ separately in the DSP chain so that both could be used simultaneously.

EQdb v.3.0.0 for MC14 is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcplugins/files/EQdb%20v3%20(for%20MC14)/. Scot didn't upload the source code for the latest version, but the older MC12/v.2.0.3 source is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcplugins/files/EQdb%20v2%20(for%20MC%2012)/EQdb%20v2.0.3/. According to Scot the only difference between the versions is in the registration process, which is not anymore correct in either of the versions.

gappie

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

In my opinion, it is fine to adjust the measured Replay Gain values directly if that is preferred. Replay Gain is not exact science and personal tastes vary. However, there is one caveat. The already calculated album gain value does not update automatically when the track values are adjusted.
for me it has always updated the value of the album gain immediately. just tested and it stil does.

gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 06:12:19 pm »

for me it has always updated the value of the album gain immediately. just tested and it stil does.

I stand corrected. I didn't test this.

I have often done "Update Library (from tags)" after changing the track Replay Gain tags in files outside MC and in that case the Album Gain value does not seem to update automatically.

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »

OMG, he's so clever, he's clever by accident! ;D

If you insist on being honest, call it an "unintended feature." And no, we don't like to see features removed.

MrC

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »

...is that Number Plays increments prematurely in the case of DLNA.  Its semantics becomes Number of Attempted Plays, and doesn't track play failures.  Number plays is incremented immediately upon play attempt.  I mentioned this in some other thread.  So the values for track #1 are too high and incorrect.  Play failures occur *every* time I playback a track, whenever my disc has gone into low power mode, and the combo of MC > Whitebear > SB time's out, and MC advances to the next track.

Arg... its worse than this.  It is actually updating immediately, and at track end, so it increments 2 per play.

[ps. if I'm hijacking, we can move these posts into another thread]

rockerlangdu

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:34 am »

My main use for the EQdb plugin is fxing the EQ problems in certain music releases. Some are obviously too bassy, too bright, etc and a slight EQ correction can really make them to sound more in line with the others. In my opinion this is a more common problem than the volume level differences because usually Replay Gain works quite well. However, EQdb can be used for fixing both problems.

You can use some other EQ plugin for additional EQ needs, like having different stored presets for different playback systems.

MC has the built-in Parametric Equalizer for room and speaker frequency response correction, but it is practically suitable only for a permanent configuration.

I can recommend the free Voxengo Marvel GEQ 16-band graphic equalizer VST plugin for easily storing and using various EQ adjustments. It works with any channel configuration (from mono to 7.1). It is probably the best freeware graphic EQ plugin. http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/
Can you introduce me to add Voxengo to my JRiver 19.
I cant do it my self
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 06:23:14 am »

Make sure you're using a 32 bit version of the plugin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up