INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Partial cover visible in Display; no theater view; Intel HD H67 graphics  (Read 13077 times)

mramsden

• Recent member

Using latest .60 build of version 16 (purchased.)  But... same thing happens on this machine with ver 15: just downloaded to check.

Just finished building a new music player using a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H-B3 motherboard, with the latest driver from intel downloaded today. This is one of the new H67 integrated intel chipset graphics boards.

With my really old laptop (5 year old HP tablet with very old intel integrated graphics) or my other machine with an Nvidia card, I do NOT have these problems.

When playing:

the Display window looks like this: only  upper left corner has the upper left corner of the cover image:

If I change the display to show cover art, it looks like this:

If I change it to 3D vis, it looks like this: note that it moves, but only the corner shows:

If I change to detached display, and resize it to this tiny size, it fills the view, and the animation is working (rotating 3D cube, here)

But if I expand this size of that window, the actual displayed part shrinks as I expand it, until it disappears.

If I switch to theatre view, I get a blank screen. The music keeps playing, but it is completely black. The only way to get out is <CTRL-1> back to usual display.  On a couple of occasions as I fiddle, I've seen a little tiny port in the upper left corner, about 1/8 inch square, which I think is a corner of the image, but that's all I can see!  None of the theatre display buttons or images display.

I suspect some problem with some interaction of the J River rendering and the Intel graphics driver .. but other stuff seems to work ok. I can run the windows media player just fine, play a DVD, browse the web: flash video, DVD video; Vimeo High def all work ....

This is driving me nuts ... any suggestions?

I did go into the bios to give the built in graphics card the max amount of memory, but that made no difference.

Downloaded and ran Passmark software's bench, and it passed all the 2d and 3d tests.

Machine is running Win7 64 Prof, up to date as of today, 8GB memory, and an 80 GB intel SSD.

..Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It's the video driver.  Try removing it and letting Windows reinstall it.

mramsden

• Recent member

I removed it (again) and windows installs the generic VGA driver. With that, The display window doesn't display at all.

If I ask Windows to update driver, it says the VGA driver is current! Searching thru the Windows update library finds some older drivers, which I downloaded and tried to install, but for some reason the "update drivers" button won't install these (seems to be no inf file).

I reinstalled the original gigabyte set, which are from intel's January release ... these cause the same thing. I removed those, then installed the latest intel set from their website, release early March.  Those have the same problem.

As I mentioned, I've run a graphics benchmark, and downloaded a Flash game ... those work, as does Windows Media Center. Playing DVDs works. Only thing that does not work is J River Display and theater view.

Seems to be an issue with the Display Window (and Theater View) in J River. Is there perhaps some component of this which isn't working properly with the new intel HD graphics chip/driver?  (This is the just release H67 chipset with the "new generation" intel graphics integrated chipset.

As it stands at the moment, I can't run theater view, which was part of the reason to set up this machine!

I realize this is beta, but it doesn't work in ver 15 either.

Edit: ran dxdiag, and it says it is working properly, with DX11 installed.

Also tried disabling startup with windows, as there was a post about theater view not working properly on Computer Audiophile, but that also made no difference.

..Mike

JimH

• Administrator

Did you try going to Intel for the driver?

mramsden

• Recent member
Yes, from intel website
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

Did you try going to Intel for the driver?

That's where this came from:

I removed those, then installed the latest intel set from their website, release early March. 

Those were the latest from the Intel website.

The others were the latest from the gigabyte website, which are actually the January intel release.

..Mike

mramsden

• Recent member
Seems to be 3D drivers?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:40:15 am »

I can run visualizations full screen without trouble.

When I try 3D visualizations, the image disappears into a tiny block in the upper left corner, same as when trying to start Theater view 3D.

I assume some 3D component is being using in theater view?

Hope someone has a answer to this .... I don't really want to have to buy a separate graphics card: the whole point of the H67 was to keep power down by using the built in intel graphics capability!

..Mike

mramsden

• Recent member
Still in 16.0.63 as well
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:59:58 am »

Audio: 3D albums: same problem.

hhandler

I also have a black display when I try to use theater view. I have an Intel i3-2100T processor with Intel HD graphics and an ASUS P8H67-M-PRO mainboard. I am using JRiver 15.0.174.

Thanks for the great product JRiver MC.

hans

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I get the same problem with my new HTPC with a motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3, an Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge with Intel HD H67 Graphic integrated processor, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and the latest Intel HD  graphic driver.

JimH

• Administrator

Hi Domi.  Welcome to the forum.  We believe the problem is with the video driver, not with MC.  You might try a Google search.

mramsden

• Recent member

No doubt it's the driver, but it seems to be in conjunction with the way J River uses it, since 3D benchmarks don't seem to have a problem ... there is nothing to search for on Google about it though ... I've been looking since I posted this. So far no response on the intel forum, and Gigabyte just says they can't verify it.  I have the latest intel driver for the integrated graphics.

Given there are three of us here with the problem, would be nice if J River, as developer, could post a bug report with intel ... might carry more weight coming from a Developer than a user.  If there was some way to determine what part of the 3D driver is affected, perhaps could be fixed in J River.  I haven't tried a game, to see if it would run (this is, after all, strictly set up as a music machine feeding my dac) but that would be another way to check the 3D from the HD2000 component of the intel chip.  According it intel, it supports 3d gaming.

Is there something in this "second generation" of the core processor DirectX, OpenGL or shader model that breaks something that worked properly before? List of support:  http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-integrated-graphics/

I have downloaded the latest driver, from March, from intel: doesn't fix the problem.  Latest version .64 of MC16 doesn't fix it either.

I've picked up a small, silent Radeon 5450 card from Asus to try, once I get the riser cable to use in my very low profile box (HDPlex) ... will report back, but I suspect that will work. Will be a bit disappointed, since the whole reason I picked this MB and chip (i5 2400s) was to get "better" integrated graphics and low power. If I knew it was incompatible, I might have looked elsewhere.

..Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Does selecting Options > Theater View > Drawing quality > Low quality make any difference in Theater View?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mramsden

• Recent member

Does selecting Options > Theater View > Drawing quality > Low quality make any difference in Theater View?

Oops ... I intially said no, but ... this DOES make theatre view work.

It does not fix the 3D visualizations though: they still show up as only a portion in the corner of the display window, as if cropped to a portion of the display.

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Domi.  Welcome to the forum.  We believe the problem is with the video driver, not with MC.  You might try a Google search.

Hi Jim,

I have downloaded the latest driver from Intel Download Center before posting but it's possible that the problem is with these drivers from Intel.

There is only two versions of these drivers for this new generation of integrated video processors named by Intel "2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000".
I think that they have to improve their drivers.
link to the drivers

For example, in the first version which was with my motherboard a problem occurred with 1920 x 1080 24Hz (no synchro)  which is the best resolution for my video projector and with the second version (3/10/2011) it's OK and there is a better fluidity in the image when I play a Blu_ray disc than in previous version.

mramsden

• Recent member

Let's hope it's a work in progress ... and we'll see more compatibility in future releases.

Matt, or Jim ... please note my corrected post above: theater view does work in low quality with these drivers, but 3D visualizations remain broken.

..Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Matt, or Jim ... please note my corrected post above: theater view does work in low quality with these drivers, but 3D visualizations remain broken.

That's an important discovery.

It means something about the anti-aliasing (AA) or anisotropic filtering (AF) that the driver doesn't handle properly.

We may need to offer a low quality mode any place we use hardware acceleration (Theater View, 3d wall, image playback, 3d visualizations, etc.)

Or perhaps we should switch to a single global option for the quality to use when hardware accelerating.

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck

Theater view works in low quality on my computer with these drivers  too.

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck

I've tried customized drawing quality this afternoon and it seems that the problem of the Intel driver have something to do only with anti-aliasing because if I choose "No fullscreen anti-aliasing" and any anisotropic filtering, Theater view works.

mramsden

• Recent member
Re: antialiasing?
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:13 pm »

Somewhat surprising, since the chip is supposed to support AA...

I'm not at home at the moment: where are the options to set for AA and AF?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team

That's an important discovery.

It means something about the anti-aliasing (AA) or anisotropic filtering (AF) that the driver doesn't handle properly.

We may need to offer a low quality mode any place we use hardware acceleration (Theater View, 3d wall, image playback, 3d visualizations, etc.)

Or perhaps we should switch to a single global option for the quality to use when hardware accelerating.

I'd implement both, in the same basic way that Windows does. Have a single slider with High, Low, Medium and Off for Hardware acceleration.

-Leezer-

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: antialiasing?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 02:59:30 am »

Somewhat surprising, since the chip is supposed to support AA...

I'm not at home at the moment: where are the options to set for AA and AF?

In Options --> Theater View --> Drawing quality --> Custom.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

We have an H67 here now, and see the same issue: using AA (anti-aliasing) causes a black screen.  It's not even possible to render simple text overlays.

The frustrating thing is that the driver is explicitly saying is supports AA in a call to CheckDeviceMultiSampleType(...).  Even using 2x AA causes the black screen.

We're looking for a workaround, or at least a way to disable AA on Intel GPUs.

If anyone has a contact at Intel, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Stargazer

• Junior Woodchuck

We have an H67 here now, and see the same issue: using AA (anti-aliasing) causes a black screen.  It's not even possible to render simple text overlays.

The frustrating thing is that the driver is explicitly saying is supports AA in a call to CheckDeviceMultiSampleType(...).  Even using 2x AA causes the black screen.

We're looking for a workaround, or at least a way to disable AA on Intel GPUs.

If anyone has a contact at Intel, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Just a thought.....  I use a lot of Intel chipset boards for business systems, and very often need to update the cmos/firmware.  With the board having intergrated video functions the cmos has extra code in it.

mramsden

• Recent member
I have submitted this issue to intel tech support, and to gigabyte.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 01:11:28 am »

I'd left a message in the intel support forum, with no response there so far.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/20764

I've sent a request to gigabyte: they do seem to get back to queries within a day or two, and to intel tech support.

Will be interesting to see their responses.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

In case someone from Intel looks here, the issue can be simplified.  Build the sample "Texture Mapping" from here:
http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src/dx9src_3.htm#dx9_texture

It's only 263 lines of code.

Then add this to the present parameters:
d3dpp.MultiSampleType = D3DMULTISAMPLE_2_SAMPLES;

And after you get the device add this:
g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_MULTISAMPLEANTIALIAS, TRUE);
g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ANTIALIASEDLINEENABLE, TRUE);

Now you will get a black screen.

I think this rules out Media Center doing something bad.

Sandy B Ridge

I have an Intel 2500K and Asus P8H67-M EVO. Output Video and Audio via HDMI.

I use the old Intel drivers that came on the disc from Asus and have had no problems so far with Theater View (Drawing Quality on Highest setting). I'm still on MC15.174. I wonder if there is a difference in the Intel HD2000 and HD3000?

I daren't upgrade to 16, or change the drivers, in case I break something!

The only DirectX error I've had is from a fishtank screensaver which worked for a few days and then gave an unspecified error needing reinstalling the app which then worked for a few days before breaking again!

SBR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Coming in build 16.0.72 and later:

Changed: Settings for hardware accelerated graphics are in Options > General > Video Card (used by Theater View, image playback, 3d views, 3d visualizations).
NEW: Added 'Automatic' hardware acceleration option which takes the video card into account when configuring graphics options.
Changed: 'Automatic' hardware acceleration mode disables full screen anti-aliasing for Intel H67 onboard video to workaround black screen issues ( http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63426.0 ).

mramsden

• Recent member

Sounds good: will look forward to trying it out ... but it's frustrating, since the HD2000 and HD3000 integrated graphics, from what I can see from trying to dig up this info, are supposed to support full screen AA, unlike the previous generation of intel on chip graphics. What I found suggested up to full screen 4x AA.  I actually bought a small, fanless ATI card to try in my machine, but it means more hardware and power draw, more heat ... which I was trying to avoid with the integrated graphics.

I haven't heard back from intel; gigabyte's initial response was: "What makes you think the intel chips support full screen AA?"

It is surprisingly hard to find out! The intel website simply says that support DX10.1 ... and I assume that has some basic assumptions. I can't find a hardware spec sheet to say exactly what is supported, at least so far, on the intel website.

Several websites reviewing the Sandybridge chips note that support, such as:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_2500K_GPU/

http://www.behardware.com/articles/803-5/idf-2010-atom-and-sandy-bridge-to-the-fore.html

If I find more out, I'll post it here.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks for the follow-up.  I expect the updated Media Center to be available by the end of the week.

gigabyte's initial response was: "What makes you think the intel chips support full screen AA?"

The technical answer is because CheckDeviceMultiSampleType(...) returns D3D_OK when explicitly asking the hardware if it supports AA.

It's fine if hardware can't support AA, but then it must correctly report that it doesn't support it.  Or it could ignore a request for AA.

But it can't say it supports AA and then break when AA is requested.

JimH

• Administrator

MC 16.0.72 at the top of this board has a work-around for this Intel problem.

mramsden

• Recent member

MC 16.0.72 at the top of this board has a work-around for this Intel problem.

Indeed it does... thanks. All the 3D effects now work, although I had to turn off AA by hand ... the "automatic" setting didn't work for 3D effects.

Gigabyte sent me a link to the intel second gen core i5 specs, pointing out it doesn't state that there is anti-aliasing available (even though review websites said there were...)
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/324641.pdf

Now that the Media Center 3D effects work ... with aa turned off in version .72  ...  I have to decide what benefit I get from adding a small graphics board that does support it. How different does theater view (which I will use) or 3D graphics visualizations (which I won't use much) look with a more powerful graphics card such as the ASUS EAH5450 Silent (uses ATI HD5450 chip), which has DX11 support and should support the 3D effects better, at the cost of more heat and power consumption in my "silent" pc....

Can someone describe the differences?

Thanks ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up