INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO 44.1 KHz does not work  (Read 4716 times)

Martin166

• Recent member
ASIO 44.1 KHz does not work
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »

Hello, I´ve just purchased the program (latest version) because I want to use video-playbacks with ASIO.

There seems to be a problem with 44.1 KHz video sources. I´ve tested it on three Win XP machines. Same thing with these interfaces and asio drivers:

M-Audio Delta 2496 - ASIO  ,  Fireface400 - ASIO  ,  Asio4All - ASIO

Every time I try to playback a video file with an origin 44.1 Khz samplerate, I get this error message:

Error details:
DirectShow: Playback could not be started on the selected audio output.

The audio format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP studio to change the output to a compatible format.

Video files with 48 Khz (even with 22.05 KHz) work without problems! Of course my studio interfaces work with 44.1 KHz, so the message is ridiculous. There is no sample-rate locked on my interfaces.

So why is it not working??? I would not have purchased the program if I knew I could not play 44.1 KHz videos with ASIO... (seems that I tested Media Center 16 only with 48 KHz video files...)
By the way the problem disappears when I switch from ASIO to Direct Sound (Nevertheless I want to use ASIO!!!)   

Thanks for your answers.

Regards,
Martin116

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO 44.1 KHz does not work
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

I have the same card at home, and haven't seen this problem.  It might be a simple settings issue.

In DSP Studio> Output Format, under Channels, select 2 (assuming you're doing two channel output from the 2496).

Also, enable resampling to 44,100.  The bitdepth is not used for ASIO.

Then, test audio playback.  Does it work?

Next, test video playback with the same settings.  Does that work?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »

I´ve tested it: same problem with video files.

Audio files with 44.1 KHz work without problems.

Media Info tells me the audio samplerate of a video file. Every time it says 44.1 KHz I get the error message, no matter what video format it is.

http://imageshack.us/f/535/clipboard01tni.jpg/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »

I´ve tested it: same problem with video files.

Audio files with 44.1 KHz work without problems.

Media Info tells me the audio samplerate of a video file. Every time it says 44.1 KHz I get the error message, no matter what video format it is.

To be sure, are you forcing playback to two channels like I mentioned above?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

I may know what is going on.

Some ASIO drivers don't like the COM apartment model of the calling thread when used in DirectShow (which is used for video playback).

We've worked around this in Media Center 16.0.89 and newer.  I expect a build to be public within a week.

If setting the format explicitly doesn't work, please stay tuned for the new build. 

Thanks for your patience.

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:57:33 pm »

I made a screenshot (German language gui):

http://imageshack.us/f/535/clipboard01tni.jpg/

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:32 am »

I may know what is going on.

Some ASIO drivers don't like the COM apartment model of the calling thread when used in DirectShow (which is used for video playback).

We've worked around this in Media Center 16.0.89 and newer.  I expect a build to be public within a week.

If setting the format explicitly doesn't work, please stay tuned for the new build. 

Thanks for your patience.

It still does not work! :-[ Please notify me about the release of the new build.

discobug

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:21 pm »

Good day. Looks like we`re facing some similar issue.
We need to playback 5.1 media via ASIO driver of Marian TRACE OUT 8/16S and see such error messages:

In fact, we`ve forced it to play via ASIO4All finally, but sound is too poor (cranks, noise). So, we need to get a native ASIO from this Trace Out somehow.
Also, M-Audio ASIO driver works well within JRiver. And Trace Out ASIO works in some other applications. Any idea? Thanks.

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:59:40 am »

Video files with 44.1 KHz audio do not work with all my ASIO-drivers (even Asio4All): always the same message. My OS is Win XP sp2 32 bit.
Also no matter if DSP Studio> Output Format is clicked and also no matter what settings are set there.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 06:48:14 am »

discobug,

Your screenshots are a bit small to be clearly legible, but I was able to zoom in and see that MC uses the maximum bit depth (64-bit). If I have understood this correctly, MC is supposed to automatically use the highest supported bit depth, but perhaps the device driver does not report this value in the expected way. Could you try the 32-bit, 24-bit and 16-bit settings?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:49 am »

Try resampling everything to 48 or 96 Khz.  Use MC's "Output Format" DSP plug-in.

On our wiki, there are two articles that might help.  One is on Audiophile.  The other is called "DAC Settings".

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 07:16:29 am »

If 48 kHz output works with native 48 kHz source audio, then resampling from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz will work as well.

However, the OP wants to play 44.1 kHz video sound tracks without resampling. It is possible that 44.1 kHz video sound tracks are handled differently than standard 44.1 kHz audio files.

In general, 44.1 kHz sound tracks in video files are quite rare. The commercial releases are always at least 48 kHz (can be higher in case of HD). Of course, it is possible to resample the video sound track to 44.1 kHz during re-encoding (if the content is extracted/ripped/remuxed/etc from a commercial release and re-encoded), but I would recommend keeping the original standard sample rate. I have seen that some home video cameras use 44.1 kHz instead of the more common 48 kHz or 32 kHz sample rates (that latter is a lower quality option is some cameras.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:32:34 am »

Try resampling everything to 48 or 96 Khz.  Use MC's "Output Format" DSP plug-in.

On our wiki, there are two articles that might help.  One is on Audiophile.  The other is called "DAC Settings".
If you are talking to me, I can only say that again:
None of the settings at "Output Format" DSP plug-in is solving the problem with videos with 44.1 KHz audio on ASIO-playback. And I even tried RME-Fireface and Asio4All.

discobug

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58:02 pm »

Thanks to all who replied here. Screenshots posted by me show only one setting, but we`ve spent few days trying different settings and options (like bit depth, resampling frequency and everything around it). So, I guess it should be some more complicated issue.
And we`ve contacted Marian, the developer of Trace Out card. I hope they don`t mind if I post their message here:

Eventually the reason is, that the application does not support all required ASIO formats. It supports only ASIO format 18. The Trace driver runs on ASIO format 27 from version 2.13 on. So either you get the developers of the jriver to support ALL ASIO formats (as they should) or you use driver version 202 or earlier. You can find it here: www.drivers.marian.de. It would be better, if jriver would support ASIO format 27, because this offers significant performance/stability advantages.

Please confirm if this statement looks valid, from you point of view. So far, we`ve tried their older driver, and the problem has gone. But some significant hardware features of their brilliant sound card has gone as well. That`s why we are wondering to revert back to the new driver with some must-have features. Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »

Thanks to all who replied here. Screenshots posted by me show only one setting, but we`ve spent few days trying different settings and options (like bit depth, resampling frequency and everything around it). So, I guess it should be some more complicated issue.
And we`ve contacted Marian, the developer of Trace Out card. I hope they don`t mind if I post their message here:

Eventually the reason is, that the application does not support all required ASIO formats. It supports only ASIO format 18. The Trace driver runs on ASIO format 27 from version 2.13 on. So either you get the developers of the jriver to support ALL ASIO formats (as they should) or you use driver version 202 or earlier. You can find it here: www.drivers.marian.de. It would be better, if jriver would support ASIO format 27, because this offers significant performance/stability advantages.

Please confirm if this statement looks valid, from you point of view. So far, we`ve tried their older driver, and the problem has gone. But some significant hardware features of their brilliant sound card has gone as well. That`s why we are wondering to revert back to the new driver with some must-have features. Thanks.

I think we may be mixing two issues.

If it works for audio and not video, it's likely due to COM apartment threading.  This will be fixed in a coming build.

If it doesn't work for anything, it's a different issue.  I'll look up format 27 in a while, and follow-up about that specifically.

mArnell

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:33 pm »

I get the same error for audio files and I'm usin win 7, 64 bit.
The audio wont work at all for video playback.

discobug

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »

I think we may be mixing two issues.

If it works for audio and not video, it's likely due to COM apartment threading.  This will be fixed in a coming build.

If it doesn't work for anything, it's a different issue.  I'll look up format 27 in a while, and follow-up about that specifically.

Neither audio nor video, we`ve got an error message while trying to play anything.

I assume we may be mixing even more issues, but we are ready to solve them step-by-step =)
Our target is to have 8 (eight) separate digital outputs while playing back 5.1 media (stereo should play too, of course).
Trace Out can do this, but via ASIO only (because it`s just 16 stereo devices for DirectSound and Windows drivers).
So, JRiver appear to be the only one video player with ASIO support, that`s why we decided to try it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:40:16 pm »

Format 27 is ASIOSTInt32LSB24, which Media Center fully supports.  Of the 18 ASIO formats, the only two that are not supported are ASIOSTFloat32MSB and ASIOSTFloat64MSB.  This is because we've never seen hardware use this format (but we would add it if real-world hardware used it).

So I think this is some other problem.  A good next step would be to use Help > Logging to get more information.  It should show which ASIO call is failing.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up