INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Remote on Marketplace  (Read 30099 times)

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
  • You don't know what you're missing until its gone
MC Remote on Marketplace
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:56 am »

Hi,

I'm very proud to tell that my Apps MC Remote Lite and Pro are now available on the Marketplace. Have fun!

Lite: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=db8b32ab-c87f-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8
Pro: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=028a8ef9-6f84-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Please notify me of any glitches via this entry or leave a comment on my blog: http://sinnema.ch/?p=98

Regards
Paul Sinnema.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC Remote on Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:39 pm »

Let you know how it goes

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:06:15 pm »

Hi Paul, I feel a little ridiculous asking this, I feel as though I should know, but what do I put in host? Port has filled itself with 52199, which I think is correct.

Thanks

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »

Also, will this work with MC 15 or should I get 16?

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:24 am »

Hi Paul, I feel a little ridiculous asking this, I feel as though I should know, but what do I put in host? Port has filled itself with 52199, which I think is correct.

Thanks

Hi Phytio,

I'm assuming that you have a WIFI connection set up with your phone and that the PC where MC is running is in the same network else the description below will not work.

In Host should  be the name of the Computer running MC. For instance my developer PC is named 'Speedy'. When I enter this name the connection works. You can also enter an IP Address (i.e. 192.168.1.7 which is the IP Address of 'Speedy'). You can find your IP Address by typing 'ipconfig /all' in a command box (cmd.exe).

It should work with Version 14 (I believe that this is the version where the WebService was introduced) and up.

The Webservice is started automatically by MC. You can see the traffic  in the 'Services & Plug-ins' --> 'Media Network' --> Select you server from the 'Select the server for which you would like to view statistics' drop-down-menu (in my case 'Speedy') to see only the traffic generated by MC Remote.

You can see the port on which the server is listening by clicking 'Options...' in the same Form ('Media Network') and expand the 'Advanced' menu. Make sure that the 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA' is checked.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:07 am »

Let you know how it goes
Hi Pythio,

How are things going?

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:18:18 am »

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I now have it working. I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes!

Thanks

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:33:17 am »

Hi All,

Whell that's it Computer is decoupled we're moving to the Netherlands tomorrow. Any glitches will have to wait until I've installed my PC in the Netherlands again (somewhere after June 17th). Thanks all for downloading the App from Marketplace. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Regards
Paul Sinnema

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:18 am »

Hi All,

A little peek into the future. I've started a Photo part in MC Remote PRO which will allow you to see the images stored in the MC Library on your phone and show/zoom them in Display mode in MC (preferably selective). The App already downloads the images and shows them in a list which can be filtered on containing folders (am I making sense here?).

I've got a few more ideas. If you have any post them here and I'll take a look if I can implement them.

As you can read above it's going to take some more time to complete this mission since we're moving to the Netherlands (from Switzerland).

Regards
Paul.

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »

Hi All,

Everything went so smooth that I'm up and running again here in Beekbergen. I really would apreciate some feedback on the App. In the statistics I see that the free version has been downloaded more than 500 times. That's super but is it all working for you? Please let me know if it works or not. Any reaction would be welcome.

Regards
Paul.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »

Welcome home!

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »

Hi All,

Just uploaded new versions of MCRemote Lite and Pro. I solved several bugs and some annoyances. In the Pro a first implementation of the Photo pages is present. You can now see the Photos of the library on your phone. A tap on an image displays that image in MC. That way you can selectively show images from your library using your phone.

I'll let you know when they pass MS testing. I will soon update my blog to show a video of the new functionallity.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 04:55:35 pm »

Hi all,

Both new versions are now available form the marketplace.

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »

Well I really wanted to have given proper feedback by now, but I still haven't been offered the update and I guess it would make more sense to comment on the new one now... I'll let you know when I've had a play.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »

Hi Paul, I tried to get my phone to force update MC Remote today and it wouldn't. I looked at the version numbers on the Pro and Lite apps and they are different. Are you sure the Pro update is up?

Thanks,

phytio

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:01:14 pm »

Hi Phytio,

You're right the Apps status was ready to publish and not yet published. Just published it to the marketplace. Sorry about that.

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 10:56:47 am »

Hi Paul, this isn't going to be too thorough just yet, I only downloaded this morning. It's still doing the basics well, I liked the help section, which is pretty much what you told me here, but I wouldn't have worked out how to get it working without that. I also like the fact that it's portrait only now.

The main screen seems to work well. It's pretty easy to adjust volume and track position.

The search in realtime looks very nice and worked well for searching tracks, but I wonder whether it might be possible to categorise search results by media type and perhaps by album or something? Also, I don't know how intuitive it is to select something and then go to the menu to play it. On my phone there is white space down the right, is it possible to put a play button there?

I really like the Images feature, I can definitely see myself at a party using that to go through pictures when I don't really want to be at a computer, maybe there could be a way to prevent some folders from coming up though? When I look at images my cover art folder is the first thing that comes up, rather than my own photos.

Finally onto view. I can see what you're going for here, and I think it could be a powerful feature, but for me it isn't quite there yet. I think I need a reason to use it and for the controls to be a little more obvious. I think that each of the views fulfils a purpose, but each is perhaps limited in some way, so when MC Remote takes the programme to each of the different views it supports each in a slightly different way. I could probably be more helpful but I'd need to think about it some more... One thing I can say is the MC icon/control panel needs to change according to what it's supposed to be doing, because sometimes it does as you'd expect, sometimes it acts as directional keys. I think that needs to be more obvious. And a little bug I came across is that sometimes when I switch between views the MC panel doesn't appear.

So those are some preliminary thoughts, I'll try and think of others that occur to me. Some features that I think would be pretty cool might be the ability to open MC from my phone and turn my computer off from my phone (if this is possible), and I'd quite like to be able to filter through stuff. This could be a screen where I can select between Music, Videos and Photos and I can scroll through artists, albums, or genres to find what I'd like to listen to. Finally, on the main screen I'd quite like to be able to swipe to the left and bring up a list of the other songs in an album, or swipe to the right and bring up with albums by that artist, or in that genre.

I hope this helps and I haven't bombarded you. You've done a great job so far.

phytio

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 11:29:18 am »

Hi phytio,

Thanks for the work you've done:

Hi Paul, this isn't going to be too thorough just yet, I only downloaded this morning. It's still doing the basics well, I liked the help section, which is pretty much what you told me here, but I wouldn't have worked out how to get it working without that. I also like the fact that it's portrait only now.

The main screen seems to work well. It's pretty easy to adjust volume and track position.

The search in realtime looks very nice and worked well for searching tracks, but I wonder whether it might be possible to categorise search results by media type and perhaps by album or something? Also, I don't know how intuitive it is to select something and then go to the menu to play it. On my phone there is white space down the right, is it possible to put a play button there?

Yeah.... it's still a bit rugged. You can however use the search syntax from MC. F.i. '[Artist]=Queen' (without the quotes) will find only artists which are named 'Queen'.
A play button is a good idea. I'll implement that. Originally it was a pop-up (tap and hold) but a button is better I think.

I really like the Images feature, I can definitely see myself at a party using that to go through pictures when I don't really want to be at a computer, maybe there could be a way to prevent some folders from coming up though? When I look at images my cover art folder is the first thing that comes up, rather than my own photos.

Don't know if I can filter on that. Maybe JimH can shed some light here?

Finally onto view. I can see what you're going for here, and I think it could be a powerful feature, but for me it isn't quite there yet. I think I need a reason to use it and for the controls to be a little more obvious. I think that each of the views fulfils a purpose, but each is perhaps limited in some way, so when MC Remote takes the programme to each of the different views it supports each in a slightly different way. I could probably be more helpful but I'd need to think about it some more... One thing I can say is the MC icon/control panel needs to change according to what it's supposed to be doing, because sometimes it does as you'd expect, sometimes it acts as directional keys. I think that needs to be more obvious. And a little bug I came across is that sometimes when I switch between views the MC panel doesn't appear.

I've focused a bit too much on getting the MC Logo in here, I guess. Before I started designing this I had the feeling that the MC Logo was inviting me to program something with it. I've seen other interfaces which are more intuitive then MC Remotes. I'll take a look to redesign this. Probably going to loose the Logo though :-(

The logo disappearing is by design. It may however be that in other views it could show 1 or more buttons specifically for that view.

So those are some preliminary thoughts, I'll try and think of others that occur to me. Some features that I think would be pretty cool might be the ability to open MC from my phone and turn my computer off from my phone (if this is possible), and I'd quite like to be able to filter through stuff. This could be a screen where I can select between Music, Videos and Photos and I can scroll through artists, albums, or genres to find what I'd like to listen to. Finally, on the main screen I'd quite like to be able to swipe to the left and bring up a list of the other songs in an album, or swipe to the right and bring up with albums by that artist, or in that genre.

I don't know if MC has the ability to shut down the system. I'll have to look into that (remember I can only use the interface JRiver programmed).

Swiping is bit of a problem. When I introduced the Panoramview in the beginning I couldn't swipe the sliders correctly anymore. Meaning that the combination of Panoramaview and Sliders is not recommended.

I hope this helps and I haven't bombarded you. You've done a great job so far.

phytio

In the mean time I've started my new job here in the Netherlands and I guess I can't spend much time in the near future but the quick wins are certainly possible. Tomorrow I'll be receiving my mobile Phone (windows phone 7) so I can test the App better.

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »

Good luck with the new job, I reckon that definitely requires more of your attention ;)

As I said it's really good so far, so I'll keep updating as updates become available and I'll let you know what I think. If there's ever anything that you'd like me to test out let me know, not that I can sideload apps, but I'll give feedback happily.

Tomorrow I'll be receiving my mobile Phone (windows phone 7) so I can test the App better.

Did you receive your phone? Were you able to update to the Mango beta?

Thanks for your hard work so far.

phytio

trionfare

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 01:08:40 am »

Thanks for making this available on the WP7. I'd love to use it but am stuck...
I have entered my ip address (just visited a website for this), my port I have taken the default value for (the phone is connected to my wifi at home). However I get the error - the remote server returned an error. NotFound. Could it because I only have JRMedia Center 16 installed and have not installed any plug-ins? I'm a newbee to JRiver so I feel like I must be missing something glaringly obvious. Thanks guys

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:35 am »

Hi trionfare,

Did you do all the things I wrote in the 'About' page? There are some settings you have to do in MC. Take a look there.

Also take a look at your local firewall. It may be blocking the default port ( try and disable the firewall all together for a short period before attemting to find the final solution).

Let me know how it goes.

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 01:16:18 pm »

Hey Paul did you say there was going to be an update? When's it going to be released?

phytio

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:57 pm »

Hi phytio,

Yes, that's right. I've redesigned a large part of the App. I can't say when I will release it but it will certainly be this year.

Regards
Paul

microfox

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 01:51:02 pm »

Hi phytio,

Yes, that's right. I've redesigned a large part of the App. I can't say when I will release it but it will certainly be this year.

Is the update out?

Robert

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »

Hi microfox,

I stand corrected. No, I do have a new version but some bugs in MC first need to be corrected before I can release. Send me your email address in a private message and I'll try and make you a beta tester. You will need a ms live id for that since MS only accept those.

Regards,
Paul

PS: my email address is also in the about page.

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:39 am »

I'm just trying out both JRiver and the MCremote application at the moment. Since I'm new to both of them, I'm finding it somewhat frustrating to get a handle on all the bells and whistles (particularly of the JRiver app itself).

MCremote has potential, but it's too basic for me at the moment. I would like something more along the lines of Meteor (a WP7 remote for WMC), which gives a much better way to browse Albums on the Phone directly.

With MCremote, I have to be in front of my HTPC screen to see the navigation. With Meteor, I can navigate solely with the Phone.

I miss feedback from MCremote when I hit a key (either audible or tactile [vibrate]). The lag between some actions and a reaction from the JRiver MC makes me often think that I have not touched a key correctly and I hit it again...

Also, I found the Zoom controls confusing. They are always visible, but as far as I can see, they are only active when I'm viewing an image. I prefer controls to be context-sensitive - if they are not relevant at certain parts of the application, they shouldn't be seen...

I hope that there will be a further version of MCremote - as I say, it has promise, but I think it is a bit too basic at the moment. Thanks.
Geoff Coupe

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

I'm just trying out both JRiver and the MCremote application at the moment. Since I'm new to both of them, I'm finding it somewhat frustrating to get a handle on all the bells and whistles (particularly of the JRiver app itself).
Yep, the amount of functionallity is dazzling isn't it. But once you get the hang of things you're hooked. This program is the best I've seen and I've seen a lot. The way MC keeps my library neat and tidy is just awsome.
MCremote has potential, but it's too basic for me at the moment. I would like something more along the lines of Meteor (a WP7 remote for WMC), which gives a much better way to browse Albums on the Phone directly.
I didn't know Meteor. Really is a nice App. I've added some extra lists coming from MC but the idea of albums and artists from this App is very nice indeed. I think I'll add something along those lines in near future.
With MCremote, I have to be in front of my HTPC screen to see the navigation. With Meteor, I can navigate solely with the Phone.

I miss feedback from MCremote when I hit a key (either audible or tactile [vibrate]). The lag between some actions and a reaction from the JRiver MC makes me often think that I have not touched a key correctly and I hit it again...
Yes you're right. I've also thought about that. I'll implement something like that soon. I've already added this for another App I wrote for the Company I work for so it shouldn't be too hard. I really appreciate this kind of feedback.

The lag is something I can not prevent. You're phone is using WLAN and that can cause some Lag (although I've not noticed that on my own installation). What you should keep in mind that if the computer on which MC is running also is attached wirelessly this causes double the lag (from phone to router, from router to PC and back again). My PC is wired via a Powerplug and that work very nice.
Also, I found the Zoom controls confusing. They are always visible, but as far as I can see, they are only active when I'm viewing an image. I prefer controls to be context-sensitive - if they are not relevant at certain parts of the application, they shouldn't be seen...
Me too. I've removed them from MC Remote because they looked nice but were just too confusing.
I hope that there will be a further version of MCremote - as I say, it has promise, but I think it is a bit too basic at the moment. Thanks.
I'm sure you'll like the next version (2) of MC Remote ;-) It's been approved by Microsoft and will be out soon.

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »

Fantastic! The webremote was good, but a native app for WinPhone7 is great news!

Will be checking this out soon!

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 01:52:13 am »

Hi All,

In a separate thread I've announced the release of version 2.

Look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70106.0

Regards
Paul

surge

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:35 am »

Paul,

I have this app for a while now, but I have never gotten it to work.  Other apps work, like AV Remote which is just a DLNA client on the Windows Phone.  Can you provide an update to the instructions for the JRiver Media Center ->Options ->Media Network settings since all the options in have changed since MC14 to MC17.  My MCRemote app has port 52199 selected and I have tried other ports, but the Options ->Media Network settings don't have settings for a port or monitoring server activity in MC17.

I have been using an IP Address directly to eliminate that as an issue of finding the server.

Surge

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

Paul,

I have this app for a while now, but I have never gotten it to work.  Other apps work, like AV Remote which is just a DLNA client on the Windows Phone.  Can you provide an update to the instructions for the JRiver Media Center ->Options ->Media Network settings since all the options in have changed since MC14 to MC17.  My MCRemote app has port 52199 selected and I have tried other ports, but the Options ->Media Network settings don't have settings for a port or monitoring server activity in MC17.

I have been using an IP Address directly to eliminate that as an issue of finding the server.

Surge

Hi Surge,

Most of the time when MC Remote is not working it is due to Firewalls, Virusscanners, etc blocking the port. Try and disable you firewall, virusscanner, etc. for a moment and try again.

Can you 'ping' your server from your phone. There is a little simple App called 'Ping' which is free. Try and use that too.

I'm currently developing a new scanning mechanism that uses UPnP to scan for MC Servers. I'll be releasing that soon.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 10:32:47 am »

Surge,

Here's where you can find the 'Media Network', 'Options', 'Server selection' and 'Port'.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »

Paul,

Surge

Surge,

Did you get it up and running?

Regards
Paul

surge

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 03:05:12 pm »

Thanks for the screenshot, and sorry it took some time for me to get back to you.

I set the port in MC Center for the library server to 52199, matching the MC Remote app on my phone.  The app seems to be connecting to MC Center and then not connecting and then connecting.  The library server has a lot of activity but there is no media available in the app.

Here is a screenshot from Media Center

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »

Hi Surge,

There seems to something wrong with how the App transmits requests and receives responses. I have 2 more people with the same kind of problems. My problem is that I can not reproduce this locally, it just works here and keeps working flawlessly.

You can not control anything? You do not see anything? What happens when you press the Play or stop buttons, nothing?

I will be releasing a new version shortly in which I have solved some problems but I still get reports from beta testers that it does not work. If you have any information that could lead to a solution I would be very gratefull.

Regards
Paul

surge

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »

I get "The remote server returned an error: NotFound." at the top of the app, and then in less than a second it goes away.  Then it comes back in a second.  Then this repeats.  There is nothing in Media, Queue or Playing.

I have tried an IP address, or a computer name.  I now know that it is talking to Media Center due to the server activity. 

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

Hi Surge,

I can reproduce the pattern you show when I switch on authentication for the library in the options. Try and switch that off and see what happens.

Regards
Paul

surge

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 01:50:38 pm »

After some glitches, I got MC Remote Pro to work after turning off the authentication for library server in Media Center and using the Media Center computer's IP address.  It looked nice while it worked.  Then I switched the IP address to my computer's network PC name "hp8530p" because I use DHCP for a dynamic IP address on that computer.  That didn't work.  So I tried "\\hp8530p"  Now I can't open the app at all, because it shuts down after the intro screen every time I open it.

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:06 am »

Hi Surge,

That is unfortunate. I've had that kind of problems too. In the next version of MC Remote, which will come out soon, there is no need to enter a name anymore. MC Remote will discover your server automatically.

In the mean time you can just uninstall and install the App. It will clean up the settings from the phone and give you a clean start.

In the update there will be the following features:
  • Autodiscovery of the MC Server via DLNA
  • Speed enhancements (less traffic and local caching)
  • Artists - Albums - Songs list with an Alphabetic index picker (you can play everything of an Artist, an Album or just 1 song)
  • Albums - Songs list with an Alphabetic index picker (you can play everything of an Album or just one song)
  • Pivot view instead of Panorama view

Bugfixes:
  • Nasty bug with url escaping solved.
  • Images which were loaded in the Queue were large instead of small, causing too much traffic.
  • Sporadic crashes with Sockets. The Socket objects were prematurely collected by the Garbarge Collector.
  • Several smaller anoying bugs.

Regards
Paul

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »

Will authentication support be included soon?

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 03:47:59 pm »

Hi,

It's on the todo list but no promisses.

Regards
Paul

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 04:10:18 am »

Thanks. It's now useless to me otherwise.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:34 pm »

Hey! Nice update! Only just started using again because MC Remote refused to find my computer, that is resolved now. Just wanted to let you know that the Album thing you added seems to work fine, but the equivalent Artist function doesn't show anything. I'll play with it more another time, but just wanted to let you know.

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 07:37:23 am »

Hey! Nice update! Only just started using again because MC Remote refused to find my computer, that is resolved now. Just wanted to let you know that the Album thing you added seems to work fine, but the equivalent Artist function doesn't show anything. I'll play with it more another time, but just wanted to let you know.
Hi phytio,

Do you have the latest MC version running?

Regards
Paul

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:31 am »

I do.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:17 am »

Hi Paul,
I have recently got a WP7 and, inspired by this thread, I'm trying to get it working.
I have a Windows Home Server (v.1) with MC17, acting as the Library server.
Other PCs in my house are clients, they play music/photos/videos from Library server.
It's not clear to me, where i should connec my phone to.
For example, in playroom, there is a Pc named HTPC1. I'd like to control this Pc from my phone. Play, stop, go to other video, other album etc.
What should I do?
Thanks for giving a comprehensive guide on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up